daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #61
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
What an insult to the Acropolis

Couldn't they have build it slightly farther? It might be okay for modern architecture someway, but that definetly isn't enough to dignify or pay any respect to this location.

I' m sorry my friend, but Acropolis is insulted more by this chaos

image hosted on flickr

What do u expected as a new Acropolis museum? Something with ionic columns all around?

The new museum its a world class jewel with character and a special identity which respects the historical surrounding by protecting and spotlighting it:

in contrast to the big majority of all the other buildings around Acropolis, which are built destroying the antiquities of the area which they were built.

A museum that a lot of cities would love to have in their centers:

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Look at the detail! The sculptures will be visible at night from the outside! Amazing!

Last edited by somataki; December 7th, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #62
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

What the hell, the interior is just AMAZING!
Those night pictures where you can see the artefacts from outside are just superb.
Will the museum be open by July 2008? I will most likely be coming to Greece then.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #63
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Likes (Received): 46

The parthenon room will be open for visitors from January 2008...exacltly ..what makes the museum really imressive is that you can see the aniquities inside....from the terraces and rooms of the nearby hotels the antiquities inside the Parthenon room will be visible and lightfull during night.....there are hotels around that you thing that they touching the glass of the parthenon room..and the viewable antiquities gives a plus view of the interiors..the first antiquities on the first floors are visible even from the walking pedestrians circle the museum....during my walks im standing a while to watch the develop of the museum,,especially at night the WOW expressions from tourists and people watching the museum are answers to my satisfied feelings of this project......happy that finally turns to be better than we could imagine....
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #64
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Quote:
What an insult to the Acropolis

Couldn't they have build it slightly farther? It might be okay for modern architecture someway, but that definetly isn't enough to dignify or pay any respect to this location.
you are talking without any knowledge to the project...i dont understand but allways making fast negative posts and you dont give a space for disgusing by dissapear after....
The New Acropolis Museum repsects the monuments of the Acropolis....
first of all...its not higher than any nearby residential building of the area,
,there are free areas around turned to gardens..so its project help to improve the green of the area is located......its minimal design represents the simple and "spartian" character of its structure,this is a nice way not to come in "fight" with the ideal classical monumental architecture of the Acropolis monuments.....
The best way to realize its repsects to the holy rock of the Acropolis is to visit the place ....
and by the way erbsenzaehler we are in the 21th century....arhcitecture has been improved...make an update please to your tastes...the period of the rocky castles is the past...beautifull one and respected....but update yourself.....I could undertsand if you dont like it and opinions are welcomed but your opinions are repeated negative and without any true..or feel to ask and learn....

Last edited by ELLIN; December 6th, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
ELLIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #65
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

What is beautiful is the balance between old and new. The museum itself is surrounded by older buildings, but the balance is superb:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

and a nice article for out English reading friends by the Guardian:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/archi...rc=rss&feed=40
Reaper-strain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #66
somataki

Likes (Received): 0

New:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

somataki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #67
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

I really hope I can make it to Athens when I go to Turkey next year just to visit this museum in person!! It looks stunning, well done Greece!!
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #68
-Michelangelo-

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by connected_ View Post
I really hope I can make it to Athens when I go to Turkey next year just to visit this museum in person!! It looks stunning, well done Greece!!
????
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #69
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Michelangelo- View Post
????
Haha, I meant fly over there FROM Turkey of course
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #70
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58031

Quote:
Originally Posted by somataki View Post
What do u expected as a new Acropolis museum? Something with ionic columns all around?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLIN View Post
you are talking without any knowledge to the project...i dont understand but allways making fast negative posts and you dont give a space for disgusing by dissapear after....
I never disappear. I'm following the discussion and your arguable try to turn my states into the 'truth' or whatever.

As I already said, it has some nice aspects to it and of course many cities would be proud to have it in their CBD. But that doesn't make it the beautiful structure you Greeks are talking about here. Of course you attempt to show the museum in its best light. But it's still a typical modern, rather boring and disproportionate glass and concrete farrago.
The point that Athens is already fully packed with modern crap doesn't let it perform better - on the contrary, they should have build something more traditional to create the modernly beloved 'contrast'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLIN View Post
and by the way erbsenzaehler we are in the 21th century....arhcitecture has been improved...make an update please to your tastes...the period of the rocky castles is the past...beautifull one and respected....but update yourself.....I could undertsand if you dont like it and opinions are welcomed but your opinions are repeated negative and without any true..or feel to ask and learn....
An update to my taste? Pull the other leg, it's got bells on. I can bullshit myself buddy. I like modern architecture - done right, placed right, timed right. None of these factors matches with the Acropolis museum to me. It's like a mean cancer right next to the heart of Athens. If you don't agree with me, go and snivel. I've seen to much of this unremarkable architecture to lapse into enthusiasm about it.
It cut me to the quick to see something that bad built in Athens these days. And hell yeah, I've got an undisputable good taste. No matter to discuss anymore.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #71
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Well i will like to put the bells in your head so some noice make you wake up.....
Talking about insult and cancer makes you antipathetic,wrong,negative and out of how the museum feels and appears to the whole archeological area of the Acropolis.....
Building a museum with a classical arhcitecture would cause an insult...a modernized museum fits to the modern architecture of Athenian skyline in general and its minimal character and way of build makes the museum pray in front the hill of the Acropolis monuments....
the museum has an modern Athenian character ....building a museum from marbel just to put marbels antiquities inside is the old fashion way of museology in general....(thats i was talking for updates,and as i have already spot it..you will need a scaning for some virus..you have been infected dear).....If you have read carefully the prosecion of Tsumi you will havent mention all these...which are just negative and without any based critisism....as allways you keep your tradition on this,,,
New Acropolis Museum has not any need for lighting....from us...most of the architecture forums and press have been mentioning its structure with lightfull crtitics....a minority including you(which i would respect you opinion if you werent rude)....insult first of all our abilities to like what Tsumi describe as the biggest and most important building of his life....

Originally Posted by somataki

Exactly.
.....exactly ...you want a luna park......a theme park coming from the past ..an ancient disneyland...where from the modern ionics collumns the past ones will be showed...great!!!
if you are not busy,.....give us more ideas...maybe a castle would have been better....
by the way...Happy update............(by reading)...and next time first learn and then vomet my friend...
Bernard Tschumi made the following statement for its creation....
Three concepts turn the constraints of the site into an architectural oportunity,offering a simple and precise museum with the mathematical and conceptual charity of ancient Greece
A concept of light
More than in any other type of museum,the conditions animating the New Acropolis Museum revolve around light.Not only does daylight in Athens differ from light in London,Berlin or Bilbao.It is first and foremost a museum of natural light,concerned with the presentation of scultpural objects within it.
A movement concept
The visitor's route forms a clear three-dimension loop,affording an architectural promenade with a rich spatial experience extending from the archeological excavations to the Parthenon Marbles and back through the roman period.
Movement in and through time is a crucial dimension of architecture,and of this museum in particular.With over 10,000 visitors daily,the sequence of movement through the museum artifacts is conceived to be of utmost charity.
A tectonic and programmatic concept
The base of the museum design contains an entrance lobby overlooking the Makriyianni excavations as well as temporary exhibition spaces,retail,and all support facilities.
The middle is a large,double-height trapezoidal plate that accommondates all galleries from the Archaic period to the Roman Empire,with complete flexibility.A mezzanine welcomes a bar and restaurant with views towards the Acropolis,and a multimedia auditorium.
The top is rectangular Parthenon Gallery around an outdoor court.The characteristics of its glass enclosure provide ideal light for sculpture,in direct view to and from the reference point of the Acropolis.The parthenon Marbels will be visible from the Acropolis above.The enclosure is designed so as to protect the sculptures and visitors against excess heat and light.The orientation of the Marbels,which will be exactly as at the Parthenon,and their siting will provide an appropriate context for understanding the accomlpishments of the Parthenon complex it self.

Bernard Tschumi

Last edited by ELLIN; December 8th, 2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #72
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58031

I just read your first lines. No need to wake me up, I'm already quick like a weasel.
Now all I've gotta say: Don't try to convince me of your dogmatic enthusiasm about this museum. As I said, it's arguably not the worst museum, but that's not enough for me. There are even far better modern museums in historical areas (respectively additions like the glass pyramids at the Louvre or the enlighting roof at the British Museum).
But this thing sadly looks like it's adopted of some crucial 70s architecture guide, with just a standing out dark glass part. You can talk as much as you use to, it's regardless. Athens already looks runned down and crapped. I've visited it some years ago and I've quite repented that decision, it was just disappointing. There's not much left which is pleasing to the eye. This museum doesn't improve anything at this location, it rather insults the surrounding area ('cause there are still some historical buildings left, not to forget about the Acropolis).

The Olympia area of Athens is fantabulous, that's great modern architecture to me. And it doesn't do anything bad to its location, it's absolutely perfect placed. The Acropolis museum isn't however.

And please avoid to turn out personally next time. As you sow, so shall you reap.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; December 8th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #73
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Fellow...not only has improve the whole area of Makriyani..the prices of the buildings around have been increased dramatically(double)....i dont have any dogmatic entousiasm..i have been to so many countries and i have seen so many buildings that is difficult to be suprised easily....i will just mention the WOW expresions from the people standing in front of the entrance....visitors of the city have been amazed....the organized journalists team from China that visit the city due to the new flight connection from Athens to Bengking give congratulations for the impressive New Acropolis Museum.. im not dogmatic....i just believe that you are in hurry...wait to visit it by your self and have a second opinion...and take care of some expressions....like cancer for example...cause gives a dramatic and tragic feeling that is out of this world regarding the New Acropolis Museum..as for personally ..well the tread of the Museum is more important than you or me....so lets skip this....cheers

Last edited by ELLIN; December 8th, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #74
savas
head up funny boy

Likes (Received): 413

Well at the end it is totaly negligible what a view people are saying. It is just a matter of taste. You like it or you dont. I think this museum is one of the very good developments in Athens and i love tha fact that it ignores kitschy clichés that some people want to see or the fact that Athens has to be more "beautifull". This isnt its mission. Tschumi was the only one who understood this and provided the perfect solution. The museum is fantastic. For a more beautiful Athens there are other things that have to be done...

Last edited by savas; December 8th, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #75
Geokioy

Likes (Received): 1

Well I cannot understand why we have to persuade other forumers here about the beauty or the importance of our new museum!!! I think we have democracy...so everyone is invited here to express freely his/her opinion about this new building-museum in the greek capital without insulting anyone ofcourse...
Please the only thing we have to do is to inform them about it with news, photos and structural info!!! Let the people make their own decision....
Sometimes i think in this forum participate children and not educated adults...please be more mature all of you greeks and non greeks...
Old December 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #76
Olympios
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Well I cannot understand why we have to persuade other forumers here about the beauty or the importance of our new museum!!! I think we have democracy...so everyone is invited here to express freely his/her opinion about this new building-museum in the greek capital without insulting anyone ofcourse...
Please the only thing we have to do is to inform them about it with news, photos and structural info!!! Let the people make their own decision....
Sometimes i think in this forum participate children and not educated adults...please be more mature all of you greeks and non greeks...
+1.

Quote:
Athens already looks runned down and crapped. I've visited it some years ago and I've quite repented that decision, it was just disappointing. There's not much left which is pleasing to the eye.
Well, Athens has changed after the Olympics. And I am not talking about the general architecture (it will never change) but basically the quality of services (transportation, hotels, beaches, airport etc). For the rest, I generally agree with you, this museum is not a landmark for Athens and I would prefer an Academy-like style but at least it is quite modern and ''silent'' and basically gives a superb environment for the ancient stuff that houses-which btw is the most important-so we can say that it's OK for a basic purpose: Repatriate the Marbles.
Olympios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #77
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geokioy View Post
Cancer???Insult???
Sorry but these are not opinions but insults .....if it doesnt insult you the opinion that there is a cancer on the base of Acropolis sorry but i have to provide you with the necessary infos about the expression cancer and how can be translated....."There's not much left which is pleasing to the eye".........is this an opinion or way to minimize and zero a city?????
Im not a child...and my explanations are not coming from the childhood: )although i would prefer to remain young...lol...

Last edited by ELLIN; December 9th, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #78
Cerises
99% Angel

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geokioy View Post
Agree with you however there are differences bewteen expressing an opinion and being down right insulting! Personally I like the museum and we all know it's an important project for the Greek capital something which I think matters a great deal. If some forumer doesn't like the design of the building then that's okay, it is completely subjective. I'm not going to lose sleep over that!

Last edited by Cerises; December 9th, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Cerises no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #79
skyduster

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
I just read your first lines. No need to wake me up, I'm already quick like a weasel.
Now all I've gotta say: Don't try to convince me of your dogmatic enthusiasm about this museum. As I said, it's arguably not the worst museum, but that's not enough for me. There are even far better modern museums in historical areas (respectively additions like the glass pyramids at the Louvre or the enlighting roof at the British Museum).
But this thing sadly looks like it's adopted of some crucial 70s architecture guide, with just a standing out dark glass part. You can talk as much as you use to, it's regardless. Athens already looks runned down and crapped. I've visited it some years ago and I've quite repented that decision, it was just disappointing. There's not much left which is pleasing to the eye. This museum doesn't improve anything at this location, it rather insults the surrounding area ('cause there are still some historical buildings left, not to forget about the Acropolis).

The Olympia area of Athens is fantabulous, that's great modern architecture to me. And it doesn't do anything bad to its location, it's absolutely perfect placed. The Acropolis museum isn't however.

And please avoid to turn out personally next time. As you sow, so shall you reap.
See, this is the exact reason I rarely visit threads about Greece outside the Hellenic Agora. Some pompous ass from a "better country" will start lecturing us -in a very patronizing way- about all the things that are wrong with Athens, as if we are too blind to see it ourselves. And this kind of pompous patronizing, I'm usually not in the mood for.

Comparing Greece to a country like Germany, which industrialized long before Greece, is exponentially unfair, and it's regrettable that someone uses this historical fact as a weapon against us. Many modern industrialized cities started out similarly; Paris wasn't exactly a romantic city before Haussman bulldozed the city in the 1860s to build the Paris we know and love today. London wasn't always pleasant either, and I'm sure we can say the same for Germany's major cities, at some point in the past.

As for the city of Athens: after a period of horrendous architecture and urban planning (or lack thereof) which lasted from about 1965 to 1985, everyone today in Athens will tell you that the city needs a major make-over. We are not stupid, we are not blind to the city's problems, and you are not enlightening us on something we don't already know. However, the city is improving at a very fast pace, and -if you didn't like the city some years ago- come back now, because there have been some changes. And come back again, and again, and again, every year and every decade, as you'll notice the city gradually improves every year.

Now, as for the new Acropolis Museum: not everyone in Athens likes it, not everyone in Greece likes it, and it wasn't even designed by a Greek. It was designed by a world-renowned SWISS architect named Bernard Tschumi. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the museum. I agree that it borrows too many 1970s elements, and I feel that the five Greek people on the board who approved this design had the same short-sighted vision as the Swiss architect. However, perhaps Tschumi didn't have much of a choice when he designed the building, given the numerous constraints the building had: consider the fact that the building was built on an archaeological ground (hence the need to very carefully plan the building's foundations), and that the museum had to be built in a weird-shaped lot (because of the protected 19th-century buildings that surround it), and then the need for earthquake-resistant engineering on top of all that. Given all these constraints, perhaps it was impossible for Tschumi to design a more classical building, and -at the same time- it would have been unwise to build a very loud modern building so close to the Acropolis. Hence, Tschumi went with a more low-key modern design. Who knows??

Whatever the case, I repeat: NOT EVERYONE IN GREECE LIKES THIS BUILDING. Some poeple love it, some people don't care for it. There's many different opinions. So please, quit your patronizing attitude, and stop trying to "enlighten" us.

And finally: there is no "Olympia" part of Athens. Olympia is a town and archaeological site in the Peloponnese region, unless you're talking about the main 2004 Olympic venues site in the suburb of Maroussi.

Last edited by skyduster; December 10th, 2007 at 02:40 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #80
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

totally agree skyduster....this person has a bad sense..it was not his first time