daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #61
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

I have had run-ins with the Coalition against Poverty. Let me say I pretty much lost all respect for them.

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #62
Ontario1

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You mean the line of cars which was the original point of my posting that link?

I have no idea what it's for. I was wondering is someone would know. I can't think of anything where people would line up their cars to a suburban office block like that.
I've seen that all over Ontario......probably first thing in the morning........... its Tim Hortons.
Ontario1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #63
noob(but not really)
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I was in MCC yesterday, but at one point, I thought I was in downtown Toronto :O

At the intersection of Duke of York and Burnhamthorpe, they have those countdown pedestrian signals! I had no idea Mississauga had them. Any other intersections?
noob(but not really) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #64
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Clarkson and Red River.
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #65
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 143

Got a couple of the countdown pedestrian signals here in Hamilton, it's all in busy intersections and they also make bird cooing sound to let blind people know it's okay to cross the street.

Hamilton also has those eye pedestrian signals, kinda pointless signal really. It's just telling you to keep your eyes open when crossing the street.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #66
vid

I used to live near chirpy signals, they're really annoying. All of our intersections have them now. They're really hit or miss too, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Most intersections don't even have buttons anymore, you just have to wait for it to let you go.

I miss the buttons.
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #67
vid

Norval Morrisseau (Copper Thunderbird) has died of Parkinson's disease. He was 75.

Old December 5th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #68
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob(but not really) View Post
I was in MCC yesterday, but at one point, I thought I was in downtown Toronto :O

At the intersection of Duke of York and Burnhamthorpe, they have those countdown pedestrian signals! I had no idea Mississauga had them. Any other intersections?
We also have some of those bird chirping pedestrian signals for the blind at the city centre Bus Terminal (Stationgate & Rathburn)

Even Vaughan has those countdown crosswalk signals.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #69
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob(but not really) View Post
From the traffic, it appears to be morning rush hour.
If you do a quick google search for the streetname, a convention centre pops up. Im guessing there was something interesting going on.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #70
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I have had run-ins with the Coalition against Poverty. Let me say I pretty much lost all respect for them.
Run-ins as in?
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #71
aplz
Oh.

Likes (Received): 1

I think the cafe went out of business.
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #72
GridSky

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
It's Quebec. From what I understand, they hate Canada.

You don't travel much, do you?
GridSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #73
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4192

Did anyone else notice that better aerial images of big Ontario cities are not up on maps.live.com? They have London, Brantford, Saint Catharines, Hamilton, and places like that. Smaller places like Port Colborne, Welland, Grimsby, and Dunnville have not been uploaded (yet?).

I was looking at St. Catharines aerial images, and east of Port Dalhousie, you can see a couple shipwrecks. This is the first time that I've ever discovered something interesting like this while looking at aerial images.

Shipwreck #1

Shipwreck #2

Both shipwrecks

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #74
Steeltown

That's pretty cool!
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #75
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4192

Notes, comments, and questions concerning Ontario from my recent trip:

~The more time that I spend in Ontario, the more I love the province. There are so many places to explore and things to see in the province, even if the population isn't as high as New York, Texas, California, or Pennsylvania. What amazes me the most about Ontario is that I can stand on the beach in Port Colborne or Fort Erie, see the Allegany Mountains of New York in the distance on the other side of Lake Erie (and those mountains stretch southward into Pennsylvania, which borders Delaware), and a province so big that it touches the Arctic Ocean (Hudson Bay & James Bay) is behind me.
~I drove to Kitchener to meet up with Jaybird last week. I saw a little bit more of Ontario that I've never seen before. Hopefully I get to see much more in the years to come.
~I think that I finally understand about Toronto and Hamilton. Jaybird helped me with this. The Regional Municipality of Niagara used to be a regular county, but now it's set up so that each town and the surrounding townships were set up into "mini-counties". Is this correct? Toronto and Hamilton used to be like Niagara, but now both are city-counties. Toronto is therefore like Philadelphia, where the city and the county are the same thing. Hamilton is the same way, although the rural land makes this seem confusing. Hamilton is like if Buffalo and Erie County merged, and the entire county became the city of Buffalo, including the rural land to the south. In the case of Toronto and Hamilton, they used to be Regional Municipalities, so places like Scarborough and Etobicoke were separate towns that included the surrounding land, whether they were developed or not.
~When driving to Kitchener, I got off on the Highway 8 exit, and found out the hard way that you can only go eastbound, into Hamilton. As I was turning around and getting onto Highway 8 westbound (King Street?), I pulled out right behind some torch relay. Anyone know what the torch was for?
~Coming back from Kitchener and Waterloo, the view from that one climb up the Escarpment was spectacular. Too bad there's no area to park along a shoulder and that the trees are a little too tall, because a clear picture of Hamilton's skyline is hard to get.
~Also while driving back from Kitchener, I was coming through Dundas and I saw that a facade had collapsed onto the street and onto a truck.
~ I spent a little bit of time in Hamilton, and the city was very nice. I used Main Street to get into and out of the city. I noticed these neighborhood signs along Main Street or from Main Street: Main West Esplanade, Hess Village, Downtown Hamilton, International Village, Locke Street, Jamesville, and Ottawa Street BIA. I've seen pictures from a couple members of a couple of these places. What are all of these neighborhoods like? What does the "BIA" stand for?
~I did not get a chance to go to Toronto, which I really wanted to do. It looks like that will have to wait until next year.

Some random pictures from around Ontario will come later. Photo tours of several cities is also to come.

Last edited by xzmattzx; August 15th, 2008 at 03:46 AM.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #76
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

I forgot this existed, forgive my lack of business to here.

Matt, I think you've got the history of Toronto, Hamilton, and Niagara just about right on the button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx
~The more time that I spend in Ontario, the more I love the province. There are so many places to explore and things to see in the province, even if the population isn't as high as New York, Texas, California, or Pennsylvania. What amazes me the most about Ontario is that I can stand on the beach in Port Colborne or Fort Erie, see the Allegany Mountains of New York in the distance on the other side of Lake Erie (and those mountains stretch southward into Pennsylvania, which borders Delaware), and a province so big that it touches the Arctic Ocean (Hudson Bay & James Bay) is behind me.
Yeah, people may not know this (except Ontarians and Canadians who know their geography), but Ontario is HUGE in land mass. Down south is heavily populated, while up north is very desolate, not very many populated towns or cities, but the scenery I see and hear is spectacular, particularly around Lake Superior when going from Sault Ste. Marie up to Thunder Bay.

Quote:
~I think that I finally understand about Toronto and Hamilton. Jaybird helped me with this. The Regional Municipality of Niagara used to be a regular county, but now it's set up so that each town and the surrounding townships were set up into "mini-counties". Is this correct? Toronto and Hamilton used to be like Niagara, but now both are city-counties. Toronto is therefore like Philadelphia, where the city and the county are the same thing. Hamilton is the same way, although the rural land makes this seem confusing. Hamilton is like if Buffalo and Erie County merged, and the entire county became the city of Buffalo, including the rural land to the south. In the case of Toronto and Hamilton, they used to be Regional Municipalities, so places like Scarborough and Etobicoke were separate towns that included the surrounding land, whether they were developed or not.
Yes. Regional Municipality of Niagara used to be Niagara County (I think), and it still is made up of big towns, much like counties in New York State. Niagara has Niagara-On-The-Lake, St. Catharines, Lincoln, Grimsby, Port Colborne, Welland, Thorold, Fonthill, and Fort Erie.

The City of Hamilton was once the Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth with separate towns and cities including Flamborough, Ancaster, Stoney Creek, Dundas, and the City of Hamilton itself, until it all amalogomated into a new city of over 500,000 people, as legendary CHCH anchor Dan McLean once mentioned on a special about Hamilton.

The City of Toronto was called the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, which before it became a mega-city in 1998, had at least 6 different cities, Etobicoke, North York, East York, York, Scarborough, and Toronto.

Quote:
~When driving to Kitchener, I got off on the Highway 8 exit, and found out the hard way that you can only go eastbound, into Hamilton. As I was turning around and getting onto Highway 8 westbound (King Street?), I pulled out right behind some torch relay. Anyone know what the torch was for?
Hamilton can confusing to drive through, even if you have a map and know the streets. I don't know what that torch was for. I know in the past Hamilton has held the Commonwealth Games and World Championship Bicycling.

Quote:
~Coming back from Kitchener and Waterloo, the view from that one climb up the Escarpment was spectacular. Too bad there's no area to park along a shoulder and that the trees are a little too tall, because a clear picture of Hamilton's skyline is hard to get.
~Also while driving back from Kitchener, I was coming through Dundas and I saw that a facade had collapsed onto the street and onto a truck.
A facade collapsed in Dundas? Oh my goodness. Was it downtown? Yeah, the view on Highway 8 just before you get into Dundas is absolutely spectacular, you even get an awesome view of Downtown Hamilton.

Quote:
~ I spent a little bit of time in Hamilton, and the city was very nice. I used Main Street to get into and out of the city. I noticed these neighborhood signs along Main Street or from Main Street: Main West Esplanade, Hess Village, Downtown Hamilton, International Village, Locke Street, Jamesville, and Ottawa Street BIA. I've seen pictures from a couple members of a couple of these places. What are all of these neighborhoods like? What does the "BIA" stand for?
~I did not get a chance to go to Toronto, which I really wanted to do. It looks like that will have to wait until next year.
BIA means Business Improvement Association, meaning an organization to attract business to business areas like downtowns/uptowns of towns/cities. Yeah, Hamilton does have its share of unique neighborhoods and lots to see there. Though I haven't been there enough to know what every place is like, though I have seen lots of pics and I am impressed with the character.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #77
vid

:P
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #78
ericlewis91

Likes (Received): 9

Abercrombie open in London Ontario
ericlewis91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #79
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

Ontario does have some truly beautiful small towns! My family has a cottage up on the Bruce Penninsula and it's a three hour drive to get there, passing through many gorgeous towns.
Some spectacular ones include: Woodstock (the homes! they are fantastic!), Owen Sound (one of the prettiest towns in the country, I would venture), Fergus, Wiarton (has seen better days, but the rundown homes and main street are itching for some renewal).
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #80
Steeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Yep, pretty much for Hamilton. We used to have a Regional Chair (the last one was Terry Cooke), he would oversee the whole Region of Hamilton-Wentworth. The Regional Chair would work at Hamilton's City Hall. Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Dundas all had there own Town Hall. In 2000 everything got merged to Hamilton's City Hall and the Regional Chair disappeared, it's now Mayor of Hamilton. Halton Region still functions like this to this day.