daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #101
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4192

Just curious, but what does everyone think about a city like Erie, Pennsylvania, having an OHL team? Ignoring attendance, whether it's good or bad, it seems strange to have a team all the way in Pennsylvania. I can understand having one or two teams in the U.S., but wouldn't it make more sense to have a team in Upstate New York instead of having to drive all the way down the other side of Lake Erie? What about Jamestown? What about Tonawanda (Buffalo suburbs), which I think was the subject of relocation rumors about a year or two ago? What about maybe Batavia, Lockport, or Niagara Falls?

Also, what city seems best to get an OHL team, in your opinion? How about Thunder Bay, or is that too far away for everyone? How come some of the smaller but decent-sized places like Brantford, Cornwall, North Bay, Burlington, and maybe some other places don't have teams (anymore, in some cases)?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #102
vid

Likes (Received): 921

Thunder Bay doesn't have an OHL team because we are too far away from Ontario. We might be getting a WHL team, or an OHL team, if the guy who wants to own it (former board member of RIM, who is from here) can get one of the leagues to bring a team here.

We have a strong university hockey team, so having one in the OHL or WHL isn't too much of a priority right now. We only have one large arena, and it's pretty small and also used for other purposes so having two hockey teams would likely create schedule conflicts. We really need another arena.
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #103
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I guess Thunder Bay is too far away. I thought that it was only 5 or 6 hours from the nearest current OHL city, but apparently it's more than 8 hours from Sault Ste. Marie, and more than 11 hours from Sudbury. Thunder Bay seems to be too far away from the WHL cities, as well. Maybe a Minnesota junior league could be formed, or something.

I am a little surprised that the Golden Horseshoe doesn't have a couple more teams. True, Mississauga and Brampton have teams, and now St. Catharines does as well, but it seems like Burlington and/or Hamilton would be a good location for a team. I also think that some place in New York makes more sense for a team than Erie, Pennsylvania.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #104
vid

We have the SIJHL and the university, which is enough for the region. There isn't too much support for an OHL team, people don't want it to overshadow the Thunder Wolves. OHL or not, we still have more locals go to the NHL than most other cities in the world.
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #105
softee

Likes (Received): 74

North Bay's OHL team re-located to Saginaw, Michigan years ago, but now we're getting a university hockey team. I guess that's a good thing, not that I really care about hockey.
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #106
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Just curious, but what does everyone think about a city like Erie, Pennsylvania, having an OHL team? Ignoring attendance, whether it's good or bad, it seems strange to have a team all the way in Pennsylvania. I can understand having one or two teams in the U.S., but wouldn't it make more sense to have a team in Upstate New York instead of having to drive all the way down the other side of Lake Erie? What about Jamestown? What about Tonawanda (Buffalo suburbs), which I think was the subject of relocation rumors about a year or two ago? What about maybe Batavia, Lockport, or Niagara Falls?

Also, what city seems best to get an OHL team, in your opinion? How about Thunder Bay, or is that too far away for everyone? How come some of the smaller but decent-sized places like Brantford, Cornwall, North Bay, Burlington, and maybe some other places don't have teams (anymore, in some cases)?
Brantford did have an OHL team at one time, I think the Brantford Alexanders (presumably named after the inventor of the telephone), North Bay did too as softee mentioned. Cornwall at one time had an AHL hockey team, the Cornwall Aces, farm team of the defunct Quebec Nordiques. They played in the Cornwall Civic Complex.

I definitely think Thunder Bay should get an OHL hockey team, because a lot of great hockey players (the four Staal brothers, among others) come from Thunder Bay, and Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie have one, and also, because it only seems logical that they do. Plus, I think Thunder Bay is one of the biggest Canadian cities (if not, the biggest) without a major junior hockey team (CHL, WHL, OHL, QMJHL, etc.). But like vid said, University and SIJHL I guess do very well in TBay.

Maybe Timmins should have an OHL team as well, to expand its presence in Northern Ontario, it's closer than TBay, about a 4 hour drive from Sudbury, about the same as it is from the Sault.

I think having an OHL team in Upstate New York would make a lot of sense. Somewhere in the Buffalo area would be the most ideal choice of location. I mean if Detroit had the Junior Red Wings, how about Buffalo with the Junior Sabres? I think that could work, but whether anyone would want to invest in it or propose that idea, that is another story.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #107
vid

Thunder Bay had an AHL farm team for the Ottawa Senators back in the 90s. They were called the Thunder Bay Flyers. They because the Thundercats, which went under in 2000 I think.

University hockey does do very well though, they're hosting a major sports tournament this year and next. We're having a big tailgate party downtown by the arena, apparently.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #108
alalgio

Likes (Received): 8

Hallo everybody , I hope not to go against forum rules , but I want to indicate the " good cannabis friends " social club : cannabis is both marijuana and hashish . You can join(t) it here :
www.skyscrapercity.com/group.php?groupid=478
I want to indicate also www.milanoexpo-2015.com
Greetings
alalgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #109
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Some comments and questions from my trip to Ontario a couple weeks ago:

~ Is Rogers owned by AT&T, or vice versa? I have AT&T for my cell phone plan, but when in Canada, I was getting Rogers service. I don't remember ever having Rogers service before, though. Usually I would get "ROAM" on my screen when in Canada, with no company named.
~ Why is it that many of the Canadian beaches that I've been to are so dirty? A lot of people leave their trash on the beach, as if someone comes around at night to clean it up like at a ballpark. I don't really see that many garbage cans by the beaches like I do down here on Delaware beaches. Around here, people understand that if they leave their trash, others will also leave their trash, and then the beach looks like junk. Don't people who visit the beaches in Ontario (especially the Niagara Region beaches, where I am) realize that if they junk up the beach, it will be less enjoyable the next time that they come? Trash isn't the only problem. One day on this last vacation, I was starting to walk home from the beach, and some guy was walking to his car with his dog. The dog began to take a dump right in front of me, and the owner was pretty embarassed by it. But instead of cleaning it up, he just pushed some sand over it with his foot and kept walking. The crap couldn't have been under more than an inch of sand, and people walk barefoot on the beach. Does he leave his dog's crap in a pile when walking in a park? Or is this guy inconsiderate only on beaches because he can hide it and if it can't be seen, then it's not his problem? I should mention that litter on the beach has always been a problem. When I was a kid, I would collect bottle caps. A good day for bottlecaps when I was a kid was 50 in a day. Sometimes I would get 200 in a day. Bottlecaps are small, but the sheer number of bottlecaps on the beach every day shws how much stuff people brought onto the beach, and sometimes they would leave more than bottlecaps.
~ While driving to Toronto for a day trip, I saw a digital message baord over the QEW in Mississauga, telling people to "Shae the road". Are they insane? I'm supposed to share an expressway with bikes? I know to share regular roads with bicyclists, but can't the message wait until I'm on one of those roads? Or, do people really ride their bikes on the QEW?
~ It's interesting how Canadians use "Eh" so much, but Americans don't use it at all. Even in Buffalo, right on the border, no one says "Eh". I guess the Canadian culture stops at the border, even if Buffalonians like to think of themselves as sharing a multi-national culture or something.
~ How is the nightlife in Niagara Falls? I was in Clifton Hill one evening and it was still very busy. The restaurants were packed. Is Clifton Hill the nightlife area, or is another part of town the nightlife area? Does any other place in the Niagara Region have good nightlife that draws all of the young people (like maybe Port Dalhousie in St. Catharines)?
~ I'm always amazed that such a nice area along the lakes is developed only to the amount that it is. This is especially true in Fort Erie and Port Colborne. Our beaches in Delaware are packed to the brim with beach towns and their hotels, houses, condos, bars, and businesses; multi-million dollar houses away from the towns; or state parks to preserve the land for good. In Fort Erie and Port Colborne, there are farms that go almost to the beach, and roads that end before they get to the beach so that swampland borders the sand and lake. Even when an area is developed, it's usually much less dense than something along the Atlantic in this area: up in Fort Erie and Port Colborne, it's either a single line of bigger houses along the lake, or campgrounds and little cottages. Crystal Beach is the only place that resembles a typlical Delaware beach town or Jersey Shore town by any stretch (and Crystal Beach was called the "Atlantic City of the Great Lakes" back in the early 1900s). I don't mind the way that the lakeshore is less developed at all; it's nice to have a beach more to yourself. I think it's interesting that this area developed in such a different way than my area.
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #110
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Some comments and questions from my trip to Ontario a couple weeks ago:

~ Is Rogers owned by AT&T, or vice versa? I have AT&T for my cell phone plan, but when in Canada, I was getting Rogers service. I don't remember ever having Rogers service before, though. Usually I would get "ROAM" on my screen when in Canada, with no company named.
Rogers was once known as Rogers/AT&T, but I think the AT&T name was phased out. Rogers is basically its own company in its own right. As I have been told by some people, Rogers is the worst wireless service provider EVER.

Quote:
~ Why is it that many of the Canadian beaches that I've been to are so dirty? A lot of people leave their trash on the beach, as if someone comes around at night to clean it up like at a ballpark. I don't really see that many garbage cans by the beaches like I do down here on Delaware beaches. Around here, people understand that if they leave their trash, others will also leave their trash, and then the beach looks like junk. Don't people who visit the beaches in Ontario (especially the Niagara Region beaches, where I am) realize that if they junk up the beach, it will be less enjoyable the next time that they come? Trash isn't the only problem. One day on this last vacation, I was starting to walk home from the beach, and some guy was walking to his car with his dog. The dog began to take a dump right in front of me, and the owner was pretty embarassed by it. But instead of cleaning it up, he just pushed some sand over it with his foot and kept walking. The crap couldn't have been under more than an inch of sand, and people walk barefoot on the beach. Does he leave his dog's crap in a pile when walking in a park? Or is this guy inconsiderate only on beaches because he can hide it and if it can't be seen, then it's not his problem? I should mention that litter on the beach has always been a problem. When I was a kid, I would collect bottle caps. A good day for bottlecaps when I was a kid was 50 in a day. Sometimes I would get 200 in a day. Bottlecaps are small, but the sheer number of bottlecaps on the beach every day shws how much stuff people brought onto the beach, and sometimes they would leave more than bottlecaps.
I guess it depends on what beaches in Ontario you go to, I've been to Goderich, Kincardine, Bayfield, Grand Bend (all on Lake Huron), and Erieau/Rondeau (on Lake Erie), and the beaches seem clean (as far as no litter is concerned). Probably some big city people who could care less about the environment.

Quote:
~ While driving to Toronto for a day trip, I saw a digital message baord over the QEW in Mississauga, telling people to "Shae the road". Are they insane? I'm supposed to share an expressway with bikes? I know to share regular roads with bicyclists, but can't the message wait until I'm on one of those roads? Or, do people really ride their bikes on the QEW?
LOL, I think they meant share the road with other drivers, be courteous. Insanity is something the area has certainly no shortage of.

Quote:
~ It's interesting how Canadians use "Eh" so much, but Americans don't use it at all. Even in Buffalo, right on the border, no one says "Eh". I guess the Canadian culture stops at the border, even if Buffalonians like to think of themselves as sharing a multi-national culture or something.
I notice that difference, too, I always thought I was becoming "Americanized" with my frequent trips to the States, though a friend of mine from Windsor told me I was more Canadian-sounding that anybody he knew.

Quote:
~ How is the nightlife in Niagara Falls? I was in Clifton Hill one evening and it was still very busy. The restaurants were packed. Is Clifton Hill the nightlife area, or is another part of town the nightlife area? Does any other place in the Niagara Region have good nightlife that draws all of the young people (like maybe Port Dalhousie in St. Catharines)?
Clifton Hill/Lundy's Lane area in the Falls is the ONLY place with any nightlife, the rest of the city is dead. St. Catharines, I think it has a fair amount of nightlife, but I don't know the city that well, though.

Quote:
~ I'm always amazed that such a nice area along the lakes is developed only to the amount that it is. This is especially true in Fort Erie and Port Colborne. Our beaches in Delaware are packed to the brim with beach towns and their hotels, houses, condos, bars, and businesses; multi-million dollar houses away from the towns; or state parks to preserve the land for good. In Fort Erie and Port Colborne, there are farms that go almost to the beach, and roads that end before they get to the beach so that swampland borders the sand and lake. Even when an area is developed, it's usually much less dense than something along the Atlantic in this area: up in Fort Erie and Port Colborne, it's either a single line of bigger houses along the lake, or campgrounds and little cottages. Crystal Beach is the only place that resembles a typlical Delaware beach town or Jersey Shore town by any stretch (and Crystal Beach was called the "Atlantic City of the Great Lakes" back in the early 1900s). I don't mind the way that the lakeshore is less developed at all; it's nice to have a beach more to yourself. I think it's interesting that this area developed in such a different way than my area.
I don't know if Fort Erie and Port Colborne were intended to be real "touristy beach towns", but there are some in Ontario, though definitely not as many in the U.S. though, Delaware is a good example.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #111
Simon200

Likes (Received): 4

Personally, I think Café culture is really rich in Ontario; it´s one of the best cultures in Canada. Ok some café bars don´t offer fruithful services, but people should find also café bars with brilliant services. My favorite isCaffe Doria on Yonge Street - nice atmosphere with favorite coffee.
Simon200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:53 AM   #112
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

I love favorite coffee!
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:49 AM   #113
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I've always been curious: why does Ontario have such a crazy county system? You have some city-counties (a couple similar things down here, like Philadelphia), some independent cities (several in Virginia, also Baltimore and St. Louis are examples), regional municipalities (municipalities seem similar to the towns in New England, which also encompass surrounding land), but then you get into county-cities or whatever (Haldimand County is a city), single tier municipalities, and maybe some other stuff. Why the differences, and what's the difference between all of these? What role does each play in the places that they serve?
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:29 PM   #114
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
I've always been curious: why does Ontario have such a crazy county system? You have some city-counties (a couple similar things down here, like Philadelphia), some independent cities (several in Virginia, also Baltimore and St. Louis are examples), regional municipalities (municipalities seem similar to the towns in New England, which also encompass surrounding land), but then you get into county-cities or whatever (Haldimand County is a city), single tier municipalities, and maybe some other stuff. Why the differences, and what's the difference between all of these? What role does each play in the places that they serve?
Good question, I've been wondering why they did that myself. I think it had to do with government funding (money issues) like always.

Makes it 'easier' for a larger town to absorb the surrounding area and service them.

My county was full of township until the late 1990s I believe. Now the townships have dissipated and the towns and villages in them absorbed into the largest in the area. It's completely ridiculous, and if you were not from this area, you'd get lost in a second.

For example, there is a town that borders Windsor on our EAST side named Tecumseh, it isn't too large, yet it encompasses an area about the size of the entire city of Windsor, and actually wraps around our southern flanks. So the little hamlet of Oldcastle SOUTH of Windsor (FAR from Tecumseh) is now a part of it.

Hamlets that existed with signs to tell you where you are, are now gone. And now every village that is part of the larger town to which it belongs has a 'Centre' attached to its name.
McGregor Centre, Harrow Centre, etc...

AS FOR THE CITY/COUNTY that is even more stupid. An example is Chatham/Kent... Chatham is a small city, in the middle of a large county with many other significant sized towns, yet the city itself services them all. All the towns retain their name, as well as villages, and hamlets though (which is good).

But for the most part, it is SO freaking dumb. I refer to all former areas, as they once were, and will continue to do so for the rest of my life. Most others do too. The only problems associated are building permits, and calling to see when a crew can fix your hydro lines, or phone lines, etc... most companies on these fringe borders don't even know if its their 'territory' or someone else's.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM   #115
vid

The government "simplified" local government in the 1990s "Common Sense Revolution" (a period when Ontario was under governance by a group similar to the US Tea Partiers). In Canada, municipalities are basically a branch of the provincial government, and it can re-organize them on a whim. Thunder Bay and Toronto were both established against the will of their citizens by provincial laws.

Single-Tier cities are a unitary local government. There are a two kinds—County-level like Toronto (urban), Haldimand-Norfolk (rural), and Chatham-Kent and Sudbury (both have a central city with a very large rural fringe) and Northern Ontario municipalities (like lower-tier municipalities in terms of size and number, but lacking an upper-tier). These can be called anything; city, town, county, regional municipality, district municipality, region, village, hamlet, township, or simply municipality.

Upper-tier municipalities are county governments, usually called "Regional Municipality" or "County". They manage regional services, like policing, fire service, major roads, sometimes public transit and other things, for the municipalities below them, which are called...

Lower-tier municipalities. They deal with very local issues, like zoning and roadwork. In the case of Peel and Niagara, they also take control of public transit. They are usually called city, town, or township.

Separated municipalities, like Brantford and Barrie, are municipalities that are geographically located within a country but politically independent from it. Barrie is in Simcoe County, and Brantford is in Brant County, but those counties have no authority over those cities. In the case of Brantford, it is one single-tier municipality (City of Brant on the Grand) surrounding another (City of Brantford). The geographic County of Brant still exists, but without a government, similar to Northern Ontario's districts.

Separated municipalities are almost always referred to as cities, but before Sudbury was amalgamated and separated from the District of Sudbury, it was called the Regional District of Sudbury, and had municipalities below it—essentially, municipalities with a county government over them, within a county that had no government. Sudbury is now an enclave within District of Sudbury, which is entirely separated from it, even geographically.

In Northern Ontario, to provide county-level services like welfare and social housing to the region, the district seat (usually the largest municipality in the district) takes charge of a District Social Services Administration Board, providing the bulk of its funding with some support from the other municipalities in the district. So, while Toronto is a single-tier municipality that is only responsible for services within its borders, in Northern Ontario, Thunder Bay is a single-tier municipality that is responsible for services like social housing and welfare in communities that are, in some cases, over 500km away. The boundaries of what we call DSSABs (DEE-sabz) aren't always congruent to the district boundaries.

And lastly, there are First Nations, which exist within the province's counties geographically, but are politically separate from the province itself (some provincial policies, like sales tax, don't apply to them). They have a different kind of local government that varies since each one is a semi-independent nation.

There are currently 444 municipalities in Ontario, and this number is supposedly enshrined in law—for a municipality to break in two, another two would have to merge to "make room for it". Since the South is so amalgamated, about a quarter of them exist in the north, which has 1/18th the population of the south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_in_Ontario
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #116
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Sounds confusing to me. It seems like a simple Province>County>Municipality branching would be more streamlined, and you could unincorporate the rural townshhips so that whatever service are needed are handled at the county level. But then I am thinking about this based on American laws, where powers not specifically listed in the Constitution are delegated to the states, and where state constitutions determine what the state handles with counties and/or municipalities handling matter not delegated to the state.
Old September 17th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #117
vid

It is like how you explained, we just have a lot of different names for the counties and municipalities, and some have more powers than others.

The system in the US with the state, and below that counties over ever piece of land, and then below those, hundreds of cities all less than 10 square miles in size, is the less streamlined system. Ontario has 444 municipalities. Michigan has over 2,000.
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM   #118
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It is like how you explained, we just have a lot of different names for the counties and municipalities, and some have more powers than others.

The system in the US with the state, and below that counties over ever piece of land, and then below those, hundreds of cities all less than 10 square miles in size, is the less streamlined system. Ontario has 444 municipalities. Michigan has over 2,000.
Michigan is one of the many states with townships, though. This is more in line with Ontario, considering Ontario's historical past with similar townships. Look at a southern or western state where townships don't exist. Delaware isn't the best example, given our size, but we have 57 municipalities, in a state with a total population of around 900,000. Places not within those municipalities are just county land, with no local government to speak of. Maybe I am looking at it wrong, especially considering the post of yours that I just quoted, but it appears that there is some form of local government below county government in just about every place. Independent cities, like those in Virginia or like Baltimore or St. Louis, are obvious exceptions if you have them. Are there any instances where a county has no local municipalities, and everything is run by the county? maybe you described that already and I just did not interpret it correctly yet.
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #119
vid

Toronto, Haldimand-Norfolk, Ottawa, Hamilton, Sudbury, Kawartha Lakes, Chatham-Kent and a few other cities, are examples where the county government is the local government, with nothing below it.

Thunder Bay, Kenora, Sault Ste. Marie and Timmins, among others, are examples of local government with no county government above them.

County governments are considered to be a form of local government here. That is why they're called "upper tier municipalities". It distinguishes them from the lower tier and single tier municipalities. All are local government.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #120
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I guess I'd have to live there to really understand. I just can't wrap my head around a county being a local government (at least at this time). You Canadians are crazy!