daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #161
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12209

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I've heard about some new microbreweries in the Niagara Region popping up in the last couple of years. Almost every town has a microbrewery now: Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, NOTL, and Pelham, all have at least one. Niagara Falls has a few microbreweries.

What do you know of in Toronto? Steam Whistle is the big microbrewery up there, and Mill Street is another notable one, that has even had an American presence in the past couple of years, but I am unaware of newer places, and eventually would like to try some of them out.
There are a million craft brew places now in Toronto. Here are some good ones:
http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_be...ry_in_toronto/

Shame about the old hockey rink.

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #162
ToroTO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
~ Does anyone else think that "Ontario" is a really nice name? I'm always there in the summer, so my images and experiences of the province are skewed, but "Ontario" just has a sunny and vibrant look and sound to it. The mix of vowels and consonants just works. Maybe it's because it's an Indian word?
I've always heard it means "Shining waters" but looked it up to verify:

"The name was first applied to the lake (1641) and is traceable to Amerindian sources. It may be a corruption of Onitariio, meaning "beautiful lake", or Kanadario, variously translated as "sparkling" or "beautiful" water. Later European settlers gave the name to the land along the lakeshore and then to an ever extending area."

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-science...cal-names/9224
ToroTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote