daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2007, 09:05 AM   #261
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-NWestfalen-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 1650

It certainly stands out.
Neutral! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM   #262
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
According to what you've been hearing...
Perhaps you cannot say, but if you can: what job or activity do you do? Or at least, how did you "hear about it"?

Cheers
Perhaps because I read a lot about NY development?
I remember reading an article in the news that said the plot was going to be zoned for taller buildings. I could be a federal agent for all you care. Not like I said that I was 100% right, but there's no chance that they would build another small building in this area after razing one.

The current 80 South Street:

Is it even gone yet? This is the golden question.

Last edited by Ebola; December 1st, 2007 at 09:29 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #263
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3187

Certainly some mega-wealthy prospective buyers have come across this thing on the market. It absolutely amazes me how there hasn't been one bite. There's got to be a psychology behind this one -- as in, why don't they like it? Is it just *too* out there and visible? Some like to believe the super rich like to flaunt. But really, they value privacy, seclusion, and security more. Where do the big moguls live again? Name one address.
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:28 AM   #264
Ebola
BANNED

According to Emporis, believe it or not, the whole tower only has 12 residences. I'm not talking about each box, I mean this entire amazing tower only has 12 residences. It's possible that people have bitten. It's possible that another developer is about to attack and oust Calatrava. It's possible that nothing will happen for another two years.
Old December 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM   #265
Twipsy

Likes (Received): 4

Yes, the initial plan was only one residence for each cube, priced from $29 million to $59 million, but now it seems likely that at least some of the cubes will have four residences.
Twipsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM   #266
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

1 res. per cube can't work
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM   #267
Twipsy

I think that people with a $29+ million budget for an apartment would only want the best, biggest and highest apartment in a building, maybe the penthouse with a roof garden. The highest cube might sell very well, but the other cubes might be a problem. Those people do not want the "second best".
Twipsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM   #268
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Im assuming there is a core and lift shaft traveling up the side that we dont see?

quite a unique design.. looks quite fragile, although we know it very much isnt going to be...
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM   #269
outbackbox

Likes (Received): 2

That tower is no good. not for Manhattan. especially downtown
outbackbox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #270
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Stacked boxes.

That's practically it...
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:22 AM   #271
Jinkies!

Likes (Received): 247

I just don't get the argument that this "doesn't fit" with New York's skyline. Firstly because, as others have said, for all the bulk there's plenty in the way of diversity in there as things stand, but mainly because the form is so sculptural, like a highly functional public art work.

In fact, compare the design with the sketch below (left) for Calatrava's "Running Torso" (1985).

[IMG]http://www.*************/books/Calatrava/images/Calatrava-photo-6.jpg[/IMG]

In any case, it most likely won't be built. Calm yourselves and sooth your battered coronaries.
Jinkies! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #272
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Stacked boxes.

That's practically it...
And has it ever been done before like this? Is it a commonplace design?

No. And it is a fact, not an opinion. The structure around the boxes stacked in a unique way for skyscrapers makes it look even more elegant and is the real reason why I like it.

Even if you stretched one of the boxes 900 feet tall, I think it would still look great.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; December 4th, 2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Stop insulting people.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:57 AM   #273
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
Stacked boxes.

That's practically it...
And what is a regular skyscraper, and straight up box (sometimes with an ornament top). That is why I like this one alot, think outside the 'regular' box design.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #274
LoKeY

Likes (Received): 26

With that attitude (of some forumers) towards new shapes and architecture in the past, we'd be measuring the heights of our caves today

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
LoKeY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:42 PM   #275
TheGlobalizer

Die, thread, die.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #276
LoKeY

Likes (Received): 26

Newah !

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
LoKeY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #277
mdiederi
Artist

Likes (Received): 162

Looks like it would be unstable and shake a lot.

There hasn't been anything in the press about this since 2005.
mdiederi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #278
Jinkies!

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobalizer View Post
Die, thread, die.
What's that? "The thread, the"?
Jinkies! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #279
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

news:

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_256/mixeduse.html
Volume 20, Number 46 | THE NEWSPAPER OF LOWER MANHATTAN | MARCH 28 - APRIL 3, 2008

Mixed Use

By Patrick Hedlund

Calatrava’s cubes on deck?

Sciame Development’s recent announcement that the Downtown builder would be moving its offices on the Seaport to new digs on Wall St. have re-ignited rumors that the developer might pursue its ambitious plan for a Santiago Calatrava-designed tower at 80 South St.

Both Sciame Development and F.J. Sciame Construction Co. will take over the entire 37,000-sqaure-foot second floor at 14 Wall St. beginning Friday, leaving open the possibility for the planned 835-foot, staggered cube building to rise on the East River waterfront.

“We are exploring a number of development opportunities, including the Calatrava tower,” said John Randolph, vice president of real estate for Sciame Development, noting the site includes an additional 110,000 square feet of development rights since the original design, allowing for a larger commercial base.

The project includes a series of 12 four-story cantilevered cubes, with the top 10 cubes containing townhouses costing between $29 million and $55 million a unit. Under the iniital idea, the base unit would have included a cultural component, possibly for museum space.

In a 2006 interview, Frank Sciame told Downtown Express he could develop the site then with a traditional building, but wanted to wait until the Calatrava project became possible. At the time, he had ruled out the museum and was hoping to get a small, high-end hotel in the ground floor.

`“We may need Lower Manhattan to catch up to the vision of the tower,” he said then. “If it doesn’t put as much money in my pocket, that’s OK— I’m not going to do it if I lose money… Time is on my side. I control the site.”

Mayor Mike Bloomberg told Downtown Express in 2005 that if he were looking to move from the Upper East Side, he would be tempted to buy a box condo in the Calatrava tower.

The developer tapped Newmark Knight Frank to manage the sales process for the site to explore “multiple scenarios,” but if Sciame is still as hot on the cubes as he was before the move, keep your eyes on the waterfront.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #280
Ebola
BANNED

Just to think, a few days ago, I said to myself, "It's dead, might as well tell a mod to lock the thread." Now we get news that it's still alive, for the first time since 2006.

Woah, developer who isn't after money; this building could really get built. I'll wait with Frank for a few more years or until whenever construction starts, with any luck this year.

Tags
80 south st., lower manhattan, new york, nyc, south street seaport