daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #541
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

A little, yeah.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #542
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 821

I think the older design was better, the stack of capsules idea was pretty cool. This new design obviously does away with the capsule idea which is a pity, and it looks all over the place, with no logic to it. Spire is gone too. Doesn't sound like it's necessarily final though, hopefully not.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #543
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28209

I agree, but maybe with real renders rather than this sketch, it may look much better.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #544
ZandoKan

Likes (Received): 21

spires, spires everywhere
Beyond that, Calatrava was brilliant with this design

Iam Architect | Perú https://www.facebook.com/IamArchitectPeru

Iam Architect pages network are created for sharing a lot of Arts like Architecture around the world
Interior - Industrial - Fashion - Photography - Drawings - Fantasia - Sculpture - Folk Art & all arts news and Competitions.
ZandoKan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #545
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Who knows? Given all the crazy redesigns this sucker has had, it could well get a cheater spire too!
No sooner said.........!

https://www.facebook.com/MoraliArchitects

Maybe this thread belongs in Creative Corner!
Old February 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #546
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
No sooner said.........!

Maybe this thread belongs in Creative Corner!
It's amazing how architects take such rough and primitive looking drawings and turn them into perfected designs. I always forget how messy those inital drawings are. They are not all Frank Ghery with his painting/art skills, that is for sure.

The building would look nicer with this slanting spire.. Good idea.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM   #547
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Look at their photo album to see about a dozen renders and elevations for this project.

Eric Offereins liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM   #548
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Very interesting link. Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM   #549
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

They seem to have made some slight changes. Could there be an increase in height? They have been meddling with the idea of adding a spire.

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:05 PM   #550
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

If they add a spire this tower will be the modern version of the American International Building nearby.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:02 PM   #551
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

yea i think nyguy said that those new pictures added like 20 ft to the height lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #552
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
yea i think nyguy said that those new pictures added like 20 ft to the height lol
i commented on their facebook page regarding height increase and they said they are tring different elements to increase the height but wants to keep the roof height at 998 ft

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #553
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

So could there be fins, a parapet, or roof extension like on the NY Times Tower or Conde Nast while keeping the roof at 998 ft.? I really love the way those make the facades reach above the roof.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #554
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Everything is possible here.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #555
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Everything is possible here.
Indeed it is. I'm beginning to wonder if I can take this proposal seriously. Is there a developer behind this development? What about the DOB, any permits so far?
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #556
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

80 South Street's Tower of Gardens Might Arrive by 2016

Quote:
Where Santiago Calatrava's tower was once planned to stand at 80 South Street, a new team of architects has been at work on a replacement. Morali Architects is designing a 1,018-foot-tall skyscraper—yes, it has gotten taller since the last update—bisected by skygardens, and Anthony Morali, chief architect, sat down with New York YIMBY to discuss the project. The interview revealed a few fun facts. For example, the tower will be built by the same contractors that built New York by Gehry, but design will be "more in line with" Herzog & de Meuron's revived 56 Leonard.

The project—which was, in fact, partially inspired by 56 Leonard—is "close" to finding a hotel tenant, but Morali is also working on making the tower solely residential, with some commercial space on the ground floor. It all depends on the building's neighbor in the back, who may or may not be willing to sell.

A switch to wholly residential sounds more likely than one of the other ideas Morali floats in response to a question about Hurricane Sandy. "Who knows—maybe we'll have elevated walkways between our tower and 151 Maiden Lane next door. And then maybe more neighbors will join in. Creating a new plane opens a ton of opportunities. Why not have the High Line—or something like it—wrap all the way around Manhattan?" We're not holding our breath for a borough-wrapping High Line, but the rough completion date for 80 South Street is 2016,

---
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #557
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

give the complexity of this design (probably very expensive as well), I would expect expensive apartments or a top class hotel.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #558
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Here's my actual interview...

http://www.newyorkyimby.com/2013/02/...-80-south.html

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #559
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post

Quote:
Quote:
I was actually deferring to you but I'd be happy to quote that interview!
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Yes please
Here's the terrific interview:

New York YIMBY

Quote:
Interview With the Architect: 80 South Street's Anthony Morali

As 80 South Street comes closer to a reality, New York YIMBY sat down to discuss the skyscraper with its chief architect, Anthony Morali. Mr. Morali is still fine-tuning the tower's design—now set to rise 1,018 feet—but unlike the original Calatrava proposal, Morali's iteration of 80 South Street seems like it will actually get built.

Left, 80 South Street. Right, Frank Lloyd Wright's Rogers Lacy Hotel, image from Architecture Theory

Q: In creating your vision for 80 South Street, did you draw on Calatrava’s old design?

I liked his design when I first saw it, I found it very interesting. I always like fragmentation—there’s attachment and detachment. It’s my own personal philosophy, but I believe in detachment, and that you can never really be attached to one single idea. Detachment and segmentation allow more creativity. In this instance, and in Calatrava’s, you have multiple things going on within each segment of the tower. So I like detachment, segmentation.

Q: What else inspired you, looking back historically?

I’m always fascinated by roof gardens, and I’m into green roofs and solar integration. Paul Rudolph designed a tower in China and every 10 floors he would break up the volume and create a space. I was also looking at Frank Lloyd Wright’s work, and his never-built Rogers Lacy Hotel was also an inspiration, from Broadacre City. The diagonals are key, and one of Wright’s sketches showed a spire—we’re actually considering adding some kind of spire element to 80 South Street as well.

In contemporary terms, Herzog & de Meuron’s 56 Leonard Street reminds me of Positano and the villages of Santorini. You know, you look at the square forms in those Italian villages, Greek villages, rising straight from the sea. That’s great design. So I drew on that as well.

Q: What’s innovative about 80 South Street?

Now, we can say people are creating a new architecture. And we can say that new architecture is including, well—we’re starting to study sky gardens, sustainability, and solar is coming into play. New forms come into play, dynamic forms.

It’s taking the horizontal city—like townhouses, shops, gardens—and then flipping it on its side. In 80 South Street you have residences and hotel rooms, but you also have interspersed gardens that are much more dynamic than anything else today. This would be new.

Q: Is the tower strictly residential? How close are you to securing financing?

Right now our zoning lot has a floor-to-area limitation of twelve for residential. We’re going to have a discussion with the neighbor in the back—we don’t need to take away from his commercial floor area, but if he agrees to sell, then we can make 80 South Street fully residential with limited commercial at the base. We’re having a meeting next week for that. For now, the tower is mixed-use hotel and residential.

For the hotel, we’re having great meetings right now. We had a very good meeting today, and we have a big meeting next week. We've also met with someone who’s doing a 300,000 square foot hotel in Times Square. So we’re coming close to securing a hotel tenant.

Q: So if it’s residential, would you say it’ll be more Gehry or Herzog & de Meuron?

I would say it’ll be more in line with Herzog & de Meuron’s Tower rather than Gehry’s. I mean, our contractors—KBF and Gilbane—built Gehry’s building. These are the guys who will probably build this building, so they know how to build a tall building. But I would say yes, it’s more in line with 56 Leonard, also because Herzog’s tower works with those different terrace levels.

Q: How has Sandy affected the design process?

Well the Federal Government raised the base sea level elevation—they call it the BFE—I mean, we were already at about four feet above ground. But for any habitable space, I think it’s going to go up to about eight or nine feet, so no habitable space can be below that at the Seaport. So basically what we’re doing is raising the level of our city.

Eventually, all of our connections—this is what I’m visualizing when you talk about raising the base plane to ten feet—we’re going to have to start a second level of our city. It’s almost like parts of Rome, where you can look down and see the ancient city twenty feet down. And now, there’s the new city. So, our city is becoming layered, and I think the new sidewalk for our new city is going to be approximately eight feet to nine feet above, and that’s going to create a plane of existence.

80 South Street will integrate that potential for a new plane, and who knows—maybe we’ll have elevated walkways between our tower and 151 Maiden Lane next door. And then maybe more neighbors will join in. Creating a new plane opens a ton of opportunities. Why not have the High Line—or something like it—wrap all the way around Manhattan?

Q: So you think Sandy will have major & long-lasting ramifications for Lower Manhattan?

Everyone’s talking about ‘I’m going to put up a damn and I’m going to fight the water,’ but for me it’s that you don’t fight—let it come in. As far as I’m concerned, I would have canals going all the way through the island with guys on little gondolas, and then I would put my second city on top and we’d all have our walkways up above, and it would be totally romantic and fun.

Q: Tentatively, when would you expect 80 South Street to be finished?

It’s coming close. Nothing is certain, but things are coming together. 2016 is a rough deadline for now. Cord Meyer is on board, so we’re very excited. We'll have renderings coming out in the next few weeks and we're about to get a model built, so it's definitely moving along.

New York YIMBY
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #560
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Here's the terrific interview:
You are far too kind.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
80 south st., lower manhattan, new york, nyc, south street seaport