daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Wales / Cymru

Wales / Cymru Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and the rest of Wales

Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM   #1
mustrum_ridcully

Likes (Received): 0

Newport - UK's greenest city

Along with Plymouth

A survey of 60 UK cities has put Newport at the top of list for its ecological footprint.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7056992.stm

Rest of Wales doesn't do too badly either:
Newport (1)
Swansea (9)
Cardiff (15)
St David's (21)
Bangor (24)
mustrum_ridcully no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM   #2
oglord
Utrique Fidelis

Bah, the Western Mail says Britain's greenest, with no mention of Plymouth at all!
oglord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Marky_boy
Registered Maniac

Likes (Received): 5

I can't find the full list anwhere.
On another note, I did find out Wales' only green belt is between Cardiff and Newport.
Marky_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM   #4
mustrum_ridcully

Full list from the WWF website http://www.wwf.org.uk/oneplanet/cf_0000004485.asp

oglord - of course they do, I'm sure I've seen stuff along the lines of celebrity _____________ is Welsh because his great grandfathers half brother once had a pint of guinness in a Welsh pub and BTW did you know guinness is actually Welsh blah blah blah
mustrum_ridcully no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Marky_boy
Registered Maniac

Likes (Received): 5

Ta, looking at the places near the top of the list it doesn't seem like anything to brag about!
Marky_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
oglord
Utrique Fidelis

Yes, the Western Fail is particularly parochial isn't it?
BTW, any idea why a UK list doesn't include Northern Ireland? (Or for that matter the City of Westminster?)

Last edited by oglord; October 23rd, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
oglord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #7
Karldiff

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrum_ridcully View Post
Full list from the WWF website http://www.wwf.org.uk/oneplanet/cf_0000004485.asp

oglord - of course they do, I'm sure I've seen stuff along the lines of celebrity _____________ is Welsh because his great grandfathers half brother once had a pint of guinness in a Welsh pub and BTW did you know guinness is actually Welsh blah blah blah
Worst examples of that off the top of my head -

Sophie Dahl - on basis that her grandad was born in Cardiff.

Eddie Izzard - on basis that he lived in Porthcawl for a few years as a youngster when his father moved there for work.

Naomi Watts - a few years living in Anglesey was enough for her to be Welsh. On that basis I'm a Brummie/Cockney.

Damian Lewis - grandparents from Carmarthen (although in fairness he does big up his Welsh connections)

Shocking when you think about it. Don't we have enough properly Welsh celebs to be proud of/cringe about without making spurious claims on others that are patently not Welsh. Can anyone think of any more?
Karldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Cambo_Dai

Oh you're forgetting the biggest "Welsh" star: Kylie Minogue. Her mother was from Maesteg, don't you know - she talks about her Welshness a lot doesn't she *ahem*.

However, I think to some extent a few are "missing the point". Ireland's emigres and diaspora are often intensely aware of their Irish heritage. After spending time in Houston for a summer, I'd say very many Americans are intensely aware of their imagined or very dubious Irish connections (the number of Schneiders or Dubroknics I met claiming Irishness is surprising) too. But this gives Ireland a much greater profile and helps draw both tourism and business to the island, both north and south. Wales has a much smaller diaspora and in order to leverage the potential for it to work to our advantage we should do much more to cultivate at least some Welsh identity amongst these, even if they are only remotely connected. In fact we should work harder to do so than the Irish.
Cambo_Dai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Karldiff

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo_Dai View Post
Oh you're forgetting the biggest "Welsh" star: Kylie Minogue. Her mother was from Maesteg, don't you know - she talks about her Welshness a lot doesn't she *ahem*.

However, I think to some extent a few are "missing the point". Ireland's emigres and diaspora are often intensely aware of their Irish heritage. After spending time in Houston for a summer, I'd say very many Americans are intensely aware of their imagined or very dubious Irish connections (the number of Schneiders or Dubroknics I met claiming Irishness is surprising) too. But this gives Ireland a much greater profile and helps draw both tourism and business to the island, both north and south. Wales has a much smaller diaspora and in order to leverage the potential for it to work to our advantage we should do much more to cultivate at least some Welsh identity amongst these, even if they are only remotely connected. In fact we should work harder to do so than the Irish.
I agree. The problem is that most of the Welsh diaspora was to England. And therein lies the problem. England has a problem with recognising anything Welsh as being positive. The Welsh in America seemed to disperse and vanish into the ether as they did everywhere else apart from Patagonia. I'm not sure why that is - perhaps it's to do with language? Once you lose the language you lose what you consider to be Welsh and so become native? Who knows?

There was a great article written by A N Wilson regarding this very question. He compared the amount of Englishmen who created an Irish heritage for themselves - Daniel Day-Lewis is a recent example - compared to those who created a Welsh one. John Cooper Powys was one of the few examples he could come up with, RS Thomas was another (although born in Cardiff he was very Anglo until he took on a Welsh persona that perhaps never existed except in his own mind). He concluded that it takes a certain contrariness to go down that route because it will inevitably mean their stock will be lowered in the eyes of the English whereas the converse seems true with the Irish.

He also likened the Irish and the English to a divorced couple, cordial and polite, past grievances gradually being forgotten as they forged their separate lives. The Welsh and the English he compared to a married couple stuck in a loveless marriage, constantly bickering, resentful and condescending to each other but too long in the tooth to part. Not sure I agree entirely but it's a great analogy.

Interestingly A N Wilson is quite a Cymruphile (is that is a word) but was sent dog sh1t and hate mail when he quoted a passage in an Evelyn Waugh book that was deregotary to Wales and the Welsh. The article in question was written to highlight Evelyn Waugh's boorishness and prejudice. Rather than reading the article some idiots with thin skins took it upon themselves to make us all look ridiculous. It's the same midset that can't wait to get upset at any perceived slight and makes us sitting targets for anyone who fancies a wind up. The WM are guilty of it and it really gets up my nose.
Karldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: