daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #221
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

You Finns have weird snow these days. A few weeks ago I read that again 10 000 households didn't have electricity because trees fell due to melting snow. That just sounds really weird to me...
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:09 AM   #222
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post
You Finns have weird snow these days. A few weeks ago I read that again 10 000 households didn't have electricity because trees fell due to melting snow. That just sounds really weird to me...
That is not exactly correct.

The primary reason for the power outages were two heavy storms on December 26th and 27th. They were the same storms that caused major problems in Norway and Sweden. More than 200,000 households were impacted and several tens on thousands of those were without power for several days, even more than a week.

At that incident, the snow was not the issue because most of the impacted areas were almost snowless. The exceptional wind just fell down an enormous number of trees causing major damage in many areas. In several places, the whole electricity network was destroyed, and the power lines had to be rebuilt from scratch.

During this and last week, a couple of smaller storms hit the country. Now there is snow, and because the temperature is close to zero, the snow is heavyweight. In addition, the high humidity and a strong wind cause the snow getting stuck in the trees, forming what is called "tykky". In these conditions, a single tree may carry even four tons of snow. That load makes the trees to fall down more easily at a strong wind, and the heavy load causes more damage. In addition, the deeper the snow is, the more difficult it is to reach damaged location to repair the lines.

"Tykky" on trees and the power lines
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM   #223
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Thanks for the explanation, but I think this might still be a different thing. Here's the original article: http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/w...s_3171374.html
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM   #224
MattiG

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation, but I think this might still be a different thing. Here's the original article: http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2012/01/w...s_3171374.html
It is the same thing. The problem arises from the combination of strong winds and the heavyweight wet snow. The snow is not wet because of melting but it came down wet. Typically the new snow at the temperature of -1...+2 is wet weighing 300-500 grams per litre. If the temperature drops below -10, the weight can be less than 50 grams per litre.

The wet snow itself does not cause much problem to the power lines. The news article fails to explain the root cause, because it does not mention the strong winds at all.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #225
MattiG

200+ Accidents

Today it was again a sad day in the traffic in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area.

The temperature in the morning was about -18. During the rush hours, a heavy snowstorm spread over the area from above the sea which is open of ice. At these temperatures, salt has no effect, and the weather made the streets and the roads extremely slippery.

During the day, the local police officials reported more than 200 accidents, saying the weather being the most difficult for years. At the largest collision on the motorway 4, about 50 cars crashed. The hospitals raised the readiness at a level of a bomb attack. 43 people were taken to hospital, a few of them with severe injuries.

Most of the public transport was in a trouble, and the timetables were abandoned.

(Image links point to the newspapers' web sites. I sorry about the large size of some images.)
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #226
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
It was the same thing in the Seattle area not too long ago as well. Much of the electrical network is above ground and when the snow and/or wind brought the trees down, they generally landed on the lines.
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM   #227
MattiG

Snow

This has been the third successive winter to have a lot of snow in the southernmost Finland. The depth of snow today is 67 centimeters at the Helsinki airport. This is 2-3 times more than in average.

At the countryside, the snow does cause much harm to the roads. In the towns, however, there is not much space for the excessive snow, and the smaller street have been in a trouble. The streets have turned narrower, and some fraction of the parking space is out of use. The heaps of snow are high and they may hide other vehicles and pedestrians.

A heavy snowfall may cause trouble and delays during that day, but the following day is usually better after the main street have been cleaned. There was a storm this Tuesday bringing more than 10 centimeters of damp and sticky snow. The Wednesday morning was rather ok, as the following video shows:

Old March 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #228
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Following road projects are to be started soon; the goverment granted their money:

E18 Koskenkylä-Kotka 56 Kms of motorway; construction started last autumn
E18 Hamina by-pass 15 Kms of motorway; construction started last autumn
E18 Hamina-Vaalimaa (Russian border) 40 Kms of motorway
Road 5 Mikkeli-Visulahti 10 Kms of 2+2-laned expressway
Road 6 Taavetti-Lappeenranta 30 Kms of new motorway connecting with the just-finished 50 Kms of new motorway Lappeenranta-Imatra
Road 8 Turku-Nousiainen 10 Kms of new motorway
Helsinki Ring I updating
Helsinki Ring III constructing of 3+3-laned motorway between Road 7 and Road 4, and from the Airport to Pakkala, and updating of Airport Road to motorway standards; upgrading to 3+3 lanes between Pakkala and Espoo will start later.
Road 22 near Oulu constructing of 10 Kms of new 2+2-laned expressway
Road 4 in Rovaniemi updating to expressway
Road 8 in Vaasa 9 Kms of expressway, upgrading started last autumn.

Last edited by RV; March 29th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #229
RV

What will be done on Ring III:

3rd lanes from Road 4/E75 to Road 7/E18, upgrade of interchenge with Road 7/E18 and new interchange in Länsimäki:

Upgrade of Airport road to motorway and reconstruction of interchange with Ring III:

Detailed Airport road-Ring III - interchange:

Last edited by RV; March 28th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old March 27th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #230
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

The crossings are very close to eachother. I wonder if it could've been made more efficient and safe..

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #231
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
The crossings are very close to eachother. I wonder if it could've been made more efficient and safe..
The north-south road is the spur to the Helsinki airport, and the traffic volumes are not very high. The E-W crossroad at the AB2 parclo is a low-density street, and the traffic demand at the loop ramps is rather low. That is why the weaving between the interchanges is not likely to create a major issue.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #232
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

Is there more highway construction / widening / improvement going on nowadays than previously? I got that feeling now, but maybe I'm wrong. Denmark also got a surge of highway improvements in recent years.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #233
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is there more highway construction / widening / improvement going on nowadays than previously? I got that feeling now, but maybe I'm wrong. Denmark also got a surge of highway improvements in recent years.
Unfortunately no.

The projects listed previously are those biggest ones which are planned to be started in the years 2013-2015. If the cabinet collapses, then the whole list will be canceled.

The money invested to road network is decreasing constantly, and the level of maintenance is sad. The main road network still is in a reasonable condition, but the lower network suffers. The current repair backlog is estimated to be about 1100 million euros.

The biggest point of pain are the bridges. The average condition of the bridges is quickly decreasing. The main road network has lived without weight limits for decades. (The maximum weight is 60 tons.) However, a weight limit of 50 tons will be introduced at the Kaukonen bridge on the road 79 south of Kittilä in May 1st. That causes trouble to the timber transport, as the shortest deviation via the roads 4 and 80 is about 60 kilometres longer than the road 79.
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #234
RV

The leftist minister of transport is doing all for making life more difficult for drivers, and I think the same will happen in Denmark with the new government. Anyways;

E18 (green: construction started in 2011; red: construction will start soon)

Road 6 (green: construction just finished; red: construction will start soon)
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #235
MattiG

Traffic signs at 1942

Finland Land Survey introduced a new road map series in 1938. Compared to earlier maps, this was very easy to read because it showed only the most relevant information.

The map sheet 4 from my library, printed in the year 1942, even contains an appendix listing the traffic signs:

Most of those are still recognizable.
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #236
eusimcity4
☀Pozdrav iz beograda!☀

Likes (Received): 364

[ALAND] Expressways in Aland-Pikateillä Ahvenanmaalla

Flag-

Map-

Pictures-

[IMGhttp://googleinvite67876482376423874623.weebly.com/uploads/3/8/9/4/3894844/2337498_orig.jpg][/IMG]

Visit my FlickrHighways driven on | A | B | BIH | BG | D | DK | E | F | GR | H | HR | I | L | LT | MEX | P | PL | SK | SLO | SRB | TR | USA |
eusimcity4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #237
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Åland belongs to Finland. You picked Åland because you wanted your own thread so badly ??

Last edited by NordikNerd; August 4th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #238
eusimcity4
☀Pozdrav iz beograda!☀

No, i's just the roads are a little different like the asphalt and such so I thought it would make a little sense. Plus, no one really talks about Aland in the Finnish highway thread.

Visit my FlickrHighways driven on | A | B | BIH | BG | D | DK | E | F | GR | H | HR | I | L | LT | MEX | P | PL | SK | SLO | SRB | TR | USA |
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #239
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusimcity4 View Post
No, i's just the roads are a little different like the asphalt and such so I thought it would make a little sense. Plus, no one really talks about Aland in the Finnish highway thread.
Actually I think they have identical speed signs with Sweden but the other distance signs look finnish, so it's a mix of swedish and finnish signs.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #240
eusimcity4
☀Pozdrav iz beograda!☀

I have pictures from Route 4 with some signs-

End of Route 4

Tags
finland, islands, roads