daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #421
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I would vote no. Most of the country is monolingual as you can see on the map

As Kevlargeist said, bilingual countries do already have bilingual thread titles on this forum, what does monolinguality have to do with it? Swedish is a official language, used in many municipalities including the capital and some other large cities even if the majority there speak Finnish. Which means that about half the population live in an environment where Swedish are written on road signs.

Point being, since many of the pictures contain bilingual signs, why not use both languages in the thread title as consumer information for those who are not aware of the languages and do not know anything about Finland?
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #422
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
As Kevlargeist said, bilingual countries do already have bilingual thread titles on this forum, what does monolinguality have to do with it? Swedish is a official language, used in many municipalities including the capital and some other large cities even if the majority there speak Finnish. Which means that about half the population live in an environment where Swedish are written on road signs.

Point being, since many of the pictures contain bilingual signs, why not use both languages in the thread title as consumer information for those who are not aware of the languages and do not know anything about Finland?
Even Germany has bilingual signs, in both North and South. How about Switzerland then?

Consumer information? In the subject lines in this sort of forum? Are you kidding?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #423
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlargeist View Post
That would be logical, considering all the other bilingual countries have bilingual thread titles.
They do not have. Do scroll down the list for several pages and the only thread having a multiple language title is about Belgium.
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #424
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 879

What's there to oppose anyway? It's not like we're running out of space here and renaming a thread isn't much of a hassle.
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #425
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Would someone kindly sum up all motorways under construction at this moment in Finland?

I recently had the opportunity to drive some 3000 km in Finland, and although I saw some big improvements since my last time here 5 years ago (i.e. Helsinki - Turku motorway it's finished, there's now a long stretch of motorway near Lappeenranta, the missing stretch of motorway between Koskenkylä and Kotka it's finally under construction etc) I also felt that there are some roads that need a motorway upgrade urgently. Given the traffic I saw, roads from Helsinki to Kuopio, Jyväskylä and Lappeenranta should have been upgraded to motorway already. There are too many trucks, junctions and 70 Km/h speed cameras on these roads that make driving on then very annoying, slow and uncomfortable...

On the other hand I was surprised by the high quality of most of the roads on the Lapland area. They often look better designed and maintained that some of the roads of the significantly more populated south of the country.
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #426
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
Would someone kindly sum up all motorways under construction at this moment in Finland?
- 5/E63 Päiväranta-Vuorela (north of Kuopio): upgrade a 2x2 road to a motorway, replacing opening bridges with fixed ones, 9 km
- 7/E18 Koskenkylä-Kotka: a new motorway 53 km
- 7/E18 Hamina bypass: a new motorway 15 km
- 51 Espoonlahti-Kirkkonummi: a new motorway 10 km, almost complete

The next project is Hamina-Vaalimaa (Russian Border), 32 km new motorway. Estimated start in 2015.

In addition, an upgrade project on the Ring 3 of Helsinki just about to start. Ring 3 is a near-motorway class road part of E18.

MrAkumana, MichiH liked this post
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #427
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
I recently had the opportunity to drive some 3000 km in Finland, and although I saw some big improvements since my last time here 5 years ago (i.e. Helsinki - Turku motorway it's finished, there's now a long stretch of motorway near Lappeenranta, the missing stretch of motorway between Koskenkylä and Kotka it's finally under construction etc) I also felt that there are some roads that need a motorway upgrade urgently. Given the traffic I saw, roads from Helsinki to Kuopio, Jyväskylä and Lappeenranta should have been upgraded to motorway already.
I would not expect driving on motorways to these cities within the next few decades. The traffic volumes are not high enough. AADT:s on the non-motorway sections are less than 9000 on the roads 5 and 6 and not exceeding 6000 on the road 4/E75.

Most of the 115 km section of 1+1 road of 4/E75 between Lusi and Vaajakoski was recently upgraded to a 2+1 road. The road is now in a good shape, and no further actions is to be expected within decades. The exception is the Vaajakoski bypass: No consensus on the alignment. The tunnel option has been dropped due to the geological reasons.

https://maps.google.fi/?ll=61.467315...=12,356,,1,1.1

A similar upgrade has been earlier done between Lusi and Mikkeli on the road 5. A short gap still exists. The remaining 160 km section to Kuopio has been partly upgraded, but gaps still exist.

https://maps.google.fi/?ll=61.411508...12,249.98,,0,0

There are several alternative routes between Helsinki and Kuopio in addition to the default route 4/E75-5:

- Helsinki-Lusi-Toivakka-Lievestuore-Kuopio (4/E75-618-13-9/E63)
- Helsinki-Lusi-Mikkeli-Pieksämäki-Suonenjoki-Kuopio (4-5-72-9/E63)
- Helsinki-Kouvola-Mikkeli-Pieksämäki-Suonenjoki-Kuopio (7/E18-6-15-72-9/E63)

The situation on the road 6 is somewhat fuzzy. The traffic volumes suddenly increased when Russia decided to divert a lot of goods transport via the Nuijamaa border station on the road 13 instead of Vaalimaa (7/E18). However, the road transport volumes to Russia have been decreasing. Some fraction on the traffic will move from the road 6 to the road 26 after the Koskenkylä-Kotka motorway is complete.

As the road 26 is lousy and the road 6 is in a much better shape, the road 6 might loose the money to the road 26. There are some indications about that: The upgrade plans for the Kouvola-Kaipiainen section are on hold and the plans for making the Taavetti-Lappeenranta to a 2+2 road may be revised to build a 2+1 road only.

The road 6 at the province border: https://maps.google.fi/?ll=60.904733...69.37,,0,-3.89

The road 26: https://maps.google.fi/?ll=60.792851...193.08,,0,0.22

tonttula liked this post
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #428
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Heinola-Mikkeli-Juva, Lahti-Kouvola-Luumäki and Tampere-Jyväskylä-Äänekoski should definitely be upgraded to motorway; especially during the summer traffic is a big problem, and AADT between Jkl and Äänekoski is already 10 000-25 000 during those 40 Kms.

Road 6 will be upgraded to motorway Luumäki-Lappeenranta since next year as I've heard. Luumäki-Lappeenranta was luckily decided not to be revised to just a crappy 2+1-segment nearly a year ago after a scandal. Voters are important in the current situation, and a torso version would be a real waste of money.
Road 7/E18 will be upgraded since 2015 from Hamina to the border.

Anyways, after elections of 2015 we'll see plenty of road projects, that's sure!

Last edited by RV; August 29th, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #429
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Road 6 will be upgraded to motorway Luumäki-Lappeenranta since next year as I've heard. Luumäki-Lappeenranta was luckily decided not to be revised to just a crappy 2+1-segment nearly a year ago after a scandal.
There will definitely be no motorway between Luumäki and Lappeenranta. The plans are based on "a narrow 2+2 road with a middle barrier". It means the lane width of 3.50 metres and narrow hard shoulders, and a total width of 19.00 meters. No 120 speed limit.

There is no final decision on how the road will be look like. There is a preliminary consensus to allocate 76 million euros to the construction in the future. However, this is 15 per cent less than the cost estimate based on the plans. Therefore, some downgrading actions will most probably be taken.

As the current economical climate is volatile, anything may happen. I would not be very surprised if the project were postponed for several years.

Last edited by MattiG; August 29th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #430
MattiG

Tampere City Council Agrees on Tunnel

Today, the Tampere City Council agreed on building a twin-tube tunnel under the city by votes 36-31. The tunnel project has been under a heavy local discussion for years.

The city is located on a very narrow land between two major lakes, and the E-W corridor is rather congested due to several traffic light crossings.

The tunnel (black dashed line) will 2.3 km long, thus being the longest vehicle tunnel in Finland. The cost estimate is 180 million euro, of which the state will pay 60 million. (The road is a part of the route 12.) The current road will be converted to a street. The construction is expected to begin in October. The tunnel will be opened to traffic in the summer 2017, and the whole project will be completed in late 2017.

ChrisZwolle, bleetz liked this post
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #431
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Even Germany has bilingual signs, in both North and South. How about Switzerland then?
Switzerland doesn't have bilingual signs except in the (very few) bilingual municipalities, such as Biel/Bienne.

Destination signs only use the language of the destination, regardless of the location of the sign. This also applies to destinations in foreign countries as well as the countries themselves. In Basel you'll find signs towards Deutschland and France but not Frankreich.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #432
RV

I think the new tunnel in Tampere is a waste of funds; with the same money they could upgrade the whole northern by-pass. The tunnel is being built with too low capacity, and it's expanding will be very expensive in the future as well.

Finnish narrow 2+2-expressways would be labeled in Sweden as motorways I think...

Also 20 Kms of new officially motorway-classed road will open I think in 2014, when Joensuu by-pass is completed.

Last edited by RV; September 20th, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

I kind of like the project. It will improve traffic flow, but the 60 km/h speed limit is a bit too low. It will also not reduce the barrier between the city and the lake as much, because there still is a partially elevated railway that current runs next to Vt. 12.

renders:

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #434
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
I think the new tunnel in Tampere is a waste of funds; with the same money they could upgrade the whole northern by-pass. The tunnel is being built with too low capacity, and it's expanding will be very expensive in the future as well.
It's not only a road project, it's also an urban development project. It will be a valuable piece of land (by the lakeside, only 2 km to centre) when the current road is gone.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #435
RV

If it was 2x3-laned (the road having an AADT that already is nearly 50,000 and will exceed that in a few years), I would favor it. Why can't they do for once things properly in this country?
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #436
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19392

E18 Koskenkylä - Kotka

Aerial photos of E18 / valtatie 7 from August 2013.

image hosted on flickr

A) Uuden moottoritien alkupiste Koskenkylässä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

D) Koskenkylä-Loviisa 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

E) Loviisan läntinen eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

G) Loviisan itäinen eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

I) Ruotsinpyhtään eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

K) Ahvenkosken sillat 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

L) Ahvenkosken eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

M) Skoasin vihersilta 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

N) Pyhtään eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

P) Siltakylän eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Q) Heinlahden eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

R) Sutelan eritasoliittymä 9.8.2013 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #437
RV

Seems like that could be completed in advance!^

http://www.lappeenrannanuutiset.fi/b...omea-eteenpain

At least according to this (Kokoomus MP Jukka Kopra), Taavetti-Lappeenranta is starting in 2015, with no mentions of downgrading the plans to 2+1. Of course the whole stretch Lahti-Kouvola-Lappeenranta should be upgraded to 2+2, and I believe it will be done sooner or later. Plans around Kouvola are quite impressive, with big interchanges and a new expressway access to the city center which has been planned since the 1950's.

Anyways, the most urgent is Lahti southern by-pass, which will quite surely be included to the list of the next government's projects. So will also widening to 2x3 of Ring III between Airport and Vanhakartano and hopefully also Turku by-pass from 1+1 to 2+2 and Tampere-Orivesi motorway. The remaining 1+1-laned section of Ring III left between Espoon Keskus and Road 51 definitely will be upgraded to 2+2 if not in 2019, in 2023 as last, because traffic already is around 25 000.

Last edited by RV; September 30th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old September 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #438
MattiG

Quote:
Seems like that could be completed in advance!^

http://www.lappeenrannanuutiset.fi/b...omea-eteenpain

At least according to this (Kokoomus MP Jukka Kopra), Taavetti-Lappeenranta is starting in 2015, with no mentions of downgrading the plans to 2+1. Of course the whole stretch Lahti-Kouvola-Lappeenranta should be upgraded to 2+2, and I believe it will be done sooner or later. Plans around Kouvola are quite impressive, with big interchanges and a new expressway access to the city center which has been planned since the 1950's.

Anyways, the most urgent is Lahti southern by-pass, which will quite surely be included to the list of the next government's projects. So will also widening to 2x3 of Ring III between Airport and Vanhakartano and hopefully also Turku by-pass from 1+1 to 2+2 and Tampere-Orivesi motorway. The remaining 1+1-laned section of Ring III left between Espoon Keskus and Road 51 definitely will be upgraded to 2+2 if not in 2019, in 2023 as last, because traffic already is around 25 000.
You are rather optimistic...
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #439
RV

Well, at least Ring III Vanhakartano-Airport should be a secure one, and Lahti by-pass has been postponed so many times already. Turku by-pass is a rather short section and part of E18, so that's the reason I'm optimistic about that one.
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #440
MattiG

Vehicle Limits Increased

Effective as of October 1st, Finland raised the weight and height limits of vehicles on the Finnish roads. The maximum total weight authorized increased from 60 tonnes to 76 tonnes, trailer included. The maximum height increased from 4.20 metres to 4.40 metres.

This change implies a number of new weight limits to bridges and ferries. On state-owned network, the number of weight-limited bridges raised from 100+ to 400+. With a few exceptions, the weight limits apply to the lower grade roads only. The numbers of problematic bridges owned by cities and municipalities is unknown.

There are 40+ ferry routes on the public roads. The weight limit of 44 or 60 tonnes apply to most of the ferries. New weight limits came into effect at 16 routes.

The main reason for the change is to allow more economical transport of goods and timber in the sparsely populated areas to compensate the cost implied by long distances. The change might have a negative impact to condition of the roads.

Tags
finland, islands, roads