daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #461
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
http://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/a130575637...5&ref=fb-share

Helsinki City Planning Office has been overtaken by the most radical members of the "green-thinking-group". Now they plan to convert all the motorways inside Kehä I into "boulevards" (streets with traffic lights, tramways and for example converting E75 from 4+4 to 2+2).

Nice pics with few cars, when in the actual day these stretches carry 50 000-100 000 ADT... People returning from work will be pleased to stop every 100 meters, thanks to decisions of people who don't ask about this anyone and just bike from the City Hal
Greens are stupid in EVERY country. In Ireland they want sick people to cycle to the hospital and not get an ambulance as the ambulance annoys cyclists.

GReens hate people is why.

RV liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #462
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
http://www.hs.fi/kaupunki/a130575637...5&ref=fb-share

Helsinki City Planning Office has been overtaken by the most radical members of the "green-thinking-group". Now they plan to convert all the motorways inside Kehä I into "boulevards" (streets with traffic lights, tramways and for example converting E75 from 4+4 to 2+2).

Nice pics with few cars, when in the actual day these stretches carry 50 000-100 000 ADT... People returning from work will be pleased to stop every 100 meters, thanks to decisions of people who don't ask about this anyone and just bike from the City Hall to their homes 2 Kms away.

Helsinki politicians are so crazy that this might become true despite long plans of motorway tunnels between Pasila and E18/E75 etc and strong rejection from Traffic authorities and all the rest of the city and region except those who live in the city center.
Insane.

Car ferry terminals for traffic to Estonia should be moved to Vuosaari. (The metro could also be extended to the sea port.) After that I'd have no reason to enter Helsinki centre. So after that they could do as they see fit and I wouldn't care

RV liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #463
MattiG

Likes (Received): 617

Old Printed Maps Online

Yesterday, the National Land Survey of Finland opened an interesting new service: The detailed 10x10 km map sheets in scale 1:20000 printed between the 1930's and the 1990's have been scanned and put available to the public. The collection covers the whole country. A nice service for anyone interested in history. It makes easy to see how the road network was developed.

http://vanhatpainetutkartat.maanmitt...os.fi/?lang=en

tayano liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #464
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

I don't get it, how do I use this? Where do I select to see the older maps?
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #465
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post
I don't get it, how do I use this? Where do I select to see the older maps?
There are two types of maps, the older "topographic maps" mainly from the north, and the newer "basic maps" covering the south. The map index grid turns visible by ticking the selection on the left. Zoom the index map, click on the grid, and the list of maps available appears on the right.
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #466
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Thanks! Now it's clear to me. I was especially interested in Vaasa, because due to land uplift, the surroundings of the city must have changed quite considerably in 100 years time. Sadly, the oldest map for Vaasa is from 1960 .
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

That is a really nice service, the Netherlands also has such a website for a few years now. It's an invaluable tool to see how the road network (and the country) developed over the years. Especially because topographic maps have more details and accuracy than most regular road maps.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #468
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post
Thanks! Now it's clear to me. I was especially interested in Vaasa, because due to land uplift, the surroundings of the city must have changed quite considerably in 100 years time. Sadly, the oldest map for Vaasa is from 1960 .
The quick land uplift applies to the whole area of the northern Gulf of Bothnia. The lowlands to the north of Vaasa have been even more impacted by that phenomena than the region of Vaasa itself.

There is a nice collection of old maps run by an individual person. You can find a topographic map from the Vaasa region printed in 1921 in the scale 1:20000 at http://koti.kapsi.fi/timomeriluoto/K...0%284+0%29.jpg

The phenomena is described at the pages of the Finnish Geodetic Institute at http://www.fgi.fi/fgi/themes/land-uplift

That page contains an animated video from the region of Oulu.

In addition, these "Economic Maps" from 1913 might also be of interest to you despite of their smaller scale:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/timomeriluoto/K...asa%201913.jpg
http://koti.kapsi.fi/timomeriluoto/K...oto%201913.jpg

Wover liked this post
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #469
tayano

Likes (Received): 1

Wow! This is something I have really been looking forward to!

ChrisZwolle, do you have a link to the Dutch map service? I am especially interested to see how the land reclamation has progressed over the years.
tayano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #470
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayano View Post
ChrisZwolle, do you have a link to the Dutch map service? I am especially interested to see how the land reclamation has progressed over the years.
http://watwaswaar.nl/

Close the welcome message. Hover the mouse over "Wat" and select "Topografische kaarten". However you can also find many other map types and even aerial photograpy by the RAF in World War II.

The site contains over 870,000 historic maps.

Example: 1949 topographical map of SE Amsterdam: http://watwaswaar.nl/#---fC-1v-1-2wk4-2RqC---jwn

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Victorinus, tayano liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #471
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Openings on E18 Koskenkylä-Kotka

Heinlahti-Kotka (3 Kms)

- Koskenkylä - Loviisa (15 Kms)
- Ahvenkoski (including the bridge) - Pyhtää (7 Kms)
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #472
Дмитрий Кудряшо

Likes (Received): 332

Quote:
Openings on E18 Koskenkylä-Kotka

- Ahvenkoski (including the bridge) - Pyhtää (7 Kms)
When?
Дмитрий Кудряшо no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #473
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Дмитрий Кудряшо View Post
When?
Well i drove there yesterday and it was completely finished, but they wouldn't let traffic to the new bridge yet. Liikennevirasto though says it's open.
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #474
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Greens are stupid in EVERY country. In Ireland they want sick people to cycle to the hospital and not get an ambulance as the ambulance annoys cyclists.

GReens hate people is why.
What I think is strange is that all neighboring countries are meanwhile upgrading their roads heavily (Sweden, Estonia, Russia...), but here they want to convert motorways into streets! All people I have asked about this say it's really stupid.

So we have an about 4% of population-representing radical Green click making all the deccissions that concern infrastructure. The new chief of the City Planning Council took first in public this crazy ideas. Now they even want to convert parts of the first ring (AADT 50 000 - 115 000) into "boulevard"!!
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #475
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
What I think is strange is that all neighboring countries are meanwhile upgrading their roads heavily (Sweden, Estonia, Russia...), but here they want to convert motorways into streets! All people I have asked about this say it's really stupid.

So we have an about 4% of population-representing radical Green click making all the deccissions that concern infrastructure. The new chief of the City Planning Council took first in public this crazy ideas. Now they even want to convert parts of the first ring (AADT 50 000 - 115 000) into "boulevard"!!
Don't worry, we have it here too, main freeway into downtown AADT 57 000, 6 lanes freeway currently being demolished and replaced with essentially nothing

Also a couple of interchanges with collapsing viaducts on municipal roads being demolished and intersection with traffic lights installed. Problem is that it costs more money than just replacing overpass, and also sucks
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #476
Дмитрий Кудряшо

Likes (Received): 332

Quote:
Well i drove there yesterday and it was completely finished, but they wouldn't let traffic to the new bridge yet. Liikennevirasto though says it's open.
As of December 26, 2013 the bridge was not opened, and can not be opened to traffic before commissioning of the tunnel:
image hosted on flickr

IMGP8712 by kudrdima, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMGP8698-8704 by kudrdima, on Flickr

More pictures in the best resolution - in a photo album Реконструкция Е 18, Ahvenkoski..
The location of photographs on the map.
Дмитрий Кудряшо no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #477
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Which new motorway or expressway sections are currently u/c in Finland (w/o widening projects of existing motorways)?

E18: Loviisa – Ahvenkoski 12 ?km (November 2011 to Late 2014) – projectmap
E18: Pyhtää – Kotko-West 12 ?km (November 2011 to Late 2014) – projectmap
E18: Hamina-Lankamalmi – Hamina-East 12 15.7km (Early 2012 to Early 2015) – projectmap
E6: Hyllykallio – Rengonkylä 12 ~12km (2013 to September 2016) – projectmap

Is this list complete? Does anybody know the exact length of the sections?

Last edited by MichiH; January 26th, 2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: E6 added
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #478
Aphelion

Likes (Received): 20

Seinäjoki bypass (National road 19): http://www.itoworld.com/map/57?lon=2...ullscreen=true

MichiH liked this post
Aphelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #479
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Which new motorway or expressway sections are currently u/c in Finland (w/o widening projects of existing motorways)?
E6: Hyllykallio – Rengonkylä 12 ~12km
There's no E6 in Finland, this is road 19. Also it won't be a motorway nor expressway, just a regular road.

Add to your list: E18 in Vantaa, as part of road 50 (Ring III). When completed, it will be a motorway-like connection through Helsinki metropolitan area: at least 2+2 lanes all way, no traffic lights, no at-grade crossings, no pedestrians or bicycles. (Not sure if it will then be officially a motorway, though.)

MichiH liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #480
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

Add to your list: E18 in Vantaa, as part of road 50 (Ring III). When completed, it will be a motorway-like connection through Helsinki metropolitan area: at least 2+2 lanes all way, no traffic lights, no at-grade crossings, no pedestrians or bicycles. (Not sure if it will then be officially a motorway, though.)
The current road works do not close the gap of 5 km non-motorway class road between the Espoo/Vantaa city limit and the road 3/E12. There are 3 substandard junctions (or to be exact, 2 junctions and 2 half-junctions) having bad slip roads and pedestrians crossing the slip roads. In addition, there are a few non-separated bus stops.

The plans to upgrade that section are in place, but the schedule is open.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Petik...=12,77.21,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Petik...12,118.14,,0,0

Tags
finland, islands, roads