daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #521
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Anyway, I strongly recommend against re-entering Finland, or any other country for that matter, with unpaid fines in that country.

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #522
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Anyway, I strongly recommend against re-entering Finland, or any other country for that matter, with unpaid fines in that country.
Why? What´s the big deal besides maybe being forced to pay the fine? With the emphasis on maybe.
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #523
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils de Gothia View Post
Why? What´s the big deal besides maybe being forced to pay the fine? With the emphasis on maybe.
That, the interest and additional charges. Might also involve spending the night as the guest of the state, so to say, for the time required to gather the information needed. Of course if that's no problem, then go ahead.
Old May 18th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #524
Nils de Gothia

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
That, the interest and additional charges. Might also involve spending the night as the guest of the state, so to say, for the time required to gather the information needed. Of course if that's no problem, then go ahead.
They won´t put you in jail for that. If they find you, and and the fine exceeds 70€ (which it does), the fine is due. Long before you re-enter Finland. If they don´t find you, no additional costs can be added. How could you know about the reminder?
Nils de Gothia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Vt. 7, Hamina

Some aerial photos of the new E18 / Vt. 7 around Hamina.

Husula.

Husulan eritasoliittymä by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Untitled by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Husula Tunnel.

Husulan tunneli by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Hamina.

Ruissalon eritasoliittymä by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Hamina-West, connection to existing motorway to Helsinki.

Haminan eritasoliittymä by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #526
RV

Likes (Received): 275

7/E18 Koskenkylä-Kotka (53 Km) is ready as of 1.9. way ahead schedule, so now we have continuous motorway from Koskela (near the center of Helsinki) to Hamina. Some sections (like Koskenkylä-Loviisa, 17 Km) were opened already in 2013.
They are also adding lanes and modifying interchanges in Kotka, which will be ready next Summer as will Hamina by-pass be.

E18/Kehä III interchange is also being completely renewed, and Ring will be added third lanes from 7 to 4/E75. Ready by 2016. Airport road is under total reconstruction, as is the interchange with Kehä III/E18. Airport road will become, though not officially a freeway, and E18 will get a fifth lane from Tuusula motorway interchange till Airport road interchange, ready by 2016.

E18 Hamina-Vaalimaa (border, 32 Kms) will start in Fall 2015.

Last edited by RV; September 10th, 2014 at 02:06 AM.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #527
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Are there any plans to build a road link between Finland and the Baltics? (especially since that Rail Baltica train project is taking too long)
Blackraven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is one already!

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Shifty2k5, Blackraven liked this post
Old September 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #529
sotonsi

Surely there's the shorter one via St Petersburg?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #530
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Are there any plans to build a road link between Finland and the Baltics? (especially since that Rail Baltica train project is taking too long)
There is one. It is called a ferry.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #531
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 895

Been on that ferry twice recently.

But yes, Google maps says it's 733km via Kronstadt.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #532
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Been on that ferry twice recently.
There are three shipping companies to run ferries on the Helsinki-Tallinn route, and there are 11 departures daily. The fastest ferries make the 80-kilometer trip in two hours. Making a business case for a fixed link would be somewhat challenging.

Quote:
But yes, Google maps says it's 733km via Kronstadt.
Sure. However, that is rather theoretical a calculation. Nobody even thinks to make intra-EU trips over Russia.
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #533
OulaL

Political questions set aside, I might consider Russia when travelling (especially several times) between, say, Lappeenranta and Narva. There used to be a ferry between Kotka and Sillamäe, but apparently that wasn't profitable.

But between Helsinki and Tallinn, it's just madness. Only understandable for tourists who actually want to visit Russia en route.
Old September 12th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #534
MattiG

Quote:
Political questions set aside, I might consider Russia when travelling (especially several times) between, say, Lappeenranta and Narva.
That might apply to tourist trips without time constraints. The time needed for border formalities varies randomly. And you need a visa, and special insurances, etc.

For commercial cargo transport, that would be no go.

Last edited by MattiG; September 12th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #535
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Does the Gulf of Finland gets freezed over during the winter? (i.e. posing challenges for the ferry route?)
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #536
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Does the Gulf of Finland gets freezed over during the winter? (i.e. posing challenges for the ferry route?)
Yes. No.

It usually freezes, but the ice conditions vary a lot across years. But freezing does not create harm for ferries. They are built almost as powerful as ice breakers. Delays caused by freezing are rare.

Soon after the liberation of Estonia, many companies introduced fast catamarans to the Helsinki-Tallinn route. Their crossing time was 1.5-2 hours while the more traditional ferries sailed 3.5-4 hours. However, the catamarans do not survive the ice, and the traffic typically had to be brought down from early December to mid-April. That is why all major shipping companies ordered new ferries to run all year long: As large as the previous ones (or larger) and almost as fast as the catamarans. The crossing time is 2-2.5 hours.

Last edited by MattiG; September 12th, 2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 13th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #537
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 895

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
There are three shipping companies to run ferries on the Helsinki-Tallinn route, and there are 11 departures daily. The fastest ferries make the 80-kilometer trip in two hours. Making a business case for a fixed link would be somewhat challenging.

Sure. However, that is rather theoretical a calculation. Nobody even thinks to make intra-EU trips over Russia.
Yes I understand that, and ferries are more fun anyway.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #538
m_rocco

Likes (Received): 11

Hi guys, as talking about ferries...
Next summer I will come in Finland for WRC (as usual in Jyväskylä I think).
With some friends we'll travel from Italy by car (no I'm not mad, being half Polish I want to stay one week with family in Poland), the question is:
are there direct ferries from Poland to Helsinki? Or (coming from Bialystok) is better travel to Tallin and then going by ferry?
Thanks for replies
m_rocco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #539
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_rocco View Post
Hi guys, as talking about ferries...
Next summer I will come in Finland for WRC (as usual in Jyväskylä I think).
With some friends we'll travel from Italy by car (no I'm not mad, being half Polish I want to stay one week with family in Poland), the question is:
are there direct ferries from Poland to Helsinki? Or (coming from Bialystok) is better travel to Tallin and then going by ferry?
Thanks for replies
As the Gdynia-Helsinki route has been brought down, there is no ferry connection from Poland to Finland at the moment.

There is an alternative option to the Via Baltica (E69) through Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia: The ferry Świnoujście-Ystad to Sweden and then a ferry from Stockholm to Turku or Helsinki in Finland
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #540
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
As the Gdynia-Helsinki route has been brought down, there is no ferry connection from Poland to Finland at the moment.

There is an alternative option to the Via Baltica (E69) through Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia: The ferry Świnoujście-Ystad to Sweden and then a ferry from Stockholm to Turku or Helsinki in Finland
From Białystok, if I were you, I'd definetly take the via Baltica. Augustów - Suwałki (PL) - Marijampolė - Kaunas - Panevėžys (LT) - Bauska - Rīga (LV) - Pärnu - Tallinn (EST).
Please bear in mind that in Lithuania, fines for speeding are much higher than in Poland, and that in Latvia, there are a lot of speed traps. But the road itself is good all long. There's a lot of traffic, especially on the Białystok - Kaunas and on the Bauska - Saulkrasti stretches as far as I remember

You can also make a small detour if you want to visit Vilnius, then i'd be ... Augustów - Lazdijai - Alytus - Vilnius - Panevėžys.

Around 11 years ago, I went to Finland. I went not far from Jyväskylä, to Heinola. I'd strongly advise you to stop in Lahti and go to the top of the ski-jumping hill. You'll be stunned by the view over the neighboring lakes

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!

Last edited by GROBIN; September 13th, 2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Pressed "Enter" too early :)
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
finland, islands, roads