daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #541
OulaL
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jämsä
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 121

Having seen Via Baltica just a few weeks ago, it's pretty good. There are some road works on the Polish side and especially the Warsaw bypass, though.
__________________
Countries visited, driven in, (not independent), former:
A B CH CZ D DK E EST F FIN GB (+GBZ) GR H I L LT LV MAL MC N NL PL RUS S SGP SK SLO T TR YU
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #542
PovilD
Naudotojas
 
PovilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kaunas - Vilnius
Posts: 151
Likes (Received): 71

As for the future, Via Baltica should become the best and fastest road to Finland from main European agglomerations. By 2020s there will be motorway connection between Warsaw and Kaunas. By late 2030s it will be extended to Riga. There is also 2+1 planned in Estonia between Tallinn and Parnu. It would be good that Latvians would built something like Saulkrasti bypass untill the border to Estonia, but 2+1 with cable barrier.
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #543
OulaL
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jämsä
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
As for the future, Via Baltica should become the best and fastest road to Finland from main European agglomerations. By 2020s there will be motorway connection between Warsaw and Kaunas. By late 2030s it will be extended to Riga. There is also 2+1 planned in Estonia between Tallinn and Parnu. It would be good that Latvians would built something like Saulkrasti bypass untill the border to Estonia, but 2+1 with cable barrier.
Wouldn't it be nice? However, I'm rather sceptical when discussing projects in such distant future and in this area.

We should keep in mind that most part of the traffic is local, and local traffic arises from local population. The population density in Baltic republics, let alone Finland, is really far from Central Europe, even Poland. Tallinn, Riga and Kaunas are cities worth mentioning, but they are still far from each other and between them it's still mostly countryside, the only cities exceeding 10000 people in between being Pärnu and Panevezys.
__________________
Countries visited, driven in, (not independent), former:
A B CH CZ D DK E EST F FIN GB (+GBZ) GR H I L LT LV MAL MC N NL PL RUS S SGP SK SLO T TR YU

Last edited by OulaL; September 17th, 2014 at 11:18 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #544
PovilD
Naudotojas
 
PovilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kaunas - Vilnius
Posts: 151
Likes (Received): 71

Talking about motorways north of Kaunas, then yes, if population keeps decreasing after 2020s (but there are forecasts that will stop decrease due the increasing GDP), AADT will stay the same or start to decrease and there will be no need to built motorway between Kaunas and Riga (where AADT is 6000 in most of the lenght), only just some stretches near Panevezys, Riga (where current AADT 9000<)
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #545
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,610
Likes (Received): 19392

Highway 5 in Kuopio has been upgraded. It was completed sometime September.

__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100, devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #546
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,610
Likes (Received): 19392

Valtatie 6/9 in Joensuu was completed 19 August 2014. It is the easternmost motorway in the EU (excluding Cyprus).

__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #547
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,804
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Highway 5 in Kuopio has been upgraded. It was completed sometime September.

That leg has an interesting history:

The lake is rather wide here. Prior to 1902, there was a ferry connection of four kilometers.

The causeway was built for the railway, which was opened in 1902.

The car transport service in the trains was available from 1921 to 1932.

The first road was opened in 1932. The bridge at the south end was opening one, and shared by the road and the railway.

A 2+2 road was opened in mid-1965's. Three new opening bridges were built (two for the road, the third one for the railway). This left a gap to the coming motorway because of the lack of a parallel road.

The bridges of 1965 turned a bottleneck, because they had to be opened 300-400 times during the sailing season (May to September). In addition, they gradually turned unreliable.

The recently completed works were a major upgrade: The waterway moved further north, and a new fixed road bridges were built. Their vertical clearance is 12 meters. The new railway bridge is opening one, and remotely controlled. The old opening bridges were converted to fixed ones. A new parallel road was build, thus allowing to close the motorway gap.
__________________

devo liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #548
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,610
Likes (Received): 19392

Seututie 135

Reconstruction of the Ring 3 / Seututie 135 interchange in Vantaa (near Helsinki Airport).


Lentoasemantie syyskuu 2014 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr


Lentoasemantie syyskuu 2014 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

RV, SRC_100, Juhis, Nexis, BringMe liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #549
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,804
Likes (Received): 618

1/E18 Tunnel Tube Closure

The road 1/E18 from Helsinki to Turku runs on somewhat challenging ground. There is a 43-km section having seven tunnels, arranged in three clusters (3+2+2). In case of maintenance, one tunnel tube is closed, and the traffic is diverted to another tube. This dashcam video shows how it happens.

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #550
keber
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 9,878
Likes (Received): 1364

That sort of unprotected traffic contra flow wouldn't work here in the south.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:05 PM   #551
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,804
Likes (Received): 618

Winter Speed Limits Are Back Again

During the next week, the winter speed limits will be in effect in the whole country. Most 100 km/h sections will be 80 km/h ones until late March or early April. The speed limits on motorways will be dropped from 120 to 100.

The main road in the North having a log AADT figure will retain their speed limit of 100, as well as the best roads in the South.

In addition, some problematic 80 km/h sections will be 70 m/h ones.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #552
void0
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St.Petersburg, Espoo
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some aerial photos of the new E18 / Vt. 7 around Hamina.
Continuation of this road at Russian side should be upgraded to motorway standards by 2018 from Finnish border to St.Petersburg. This is also the year when new motorway Moscow-St.Petesburg should be finished. So basically, you can get from Helsinki to Moscow using just motorways in 2018
__________________

Rebasepoiss liked this post
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #553
PovilD
Naudotojas
 
PovilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kaunas - Vilnius
Posts: 151
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
Continuation of this road at Russian side should be upgraded to motorway standards by 2018 from Finnish border to St.Petersburg. This is also the year when new motorway Moscow-St.Petesburg should be finished. So basically, you can get from Helsinki to Moscow using just motorways in 2018
Are there also plans to upgrade the road to motorway from Moscow to Belarus border?
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #554
void0
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St.Petersburg, Espoo
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by PovilD View Post
Are there also plans to upgrade the road to motorway from Moscow to Belarus border?
M-1 is the top priority road and already been partially upgraded, should be completed by 2018. http://www.russianhighways.ru/for_drivers/m-1/
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #555
PovilD
Naudotojas
 
PovilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kaunas - Vilnius
Posts: 151
Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by void0 View Post
M-1 is the top priority road and already been partially upgraded, should be completed by 2018. http://www.russianhighways.ru/for_drivers/m-1/
I see that the road will get Ib category and that’s mean that the road wouldn't get this sign in most of the stretch?

I just wanted to know if the road to Minsk will be the same like the road to Saint Petersburg and Helsinki
PovilD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 12:33 PM   #556
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller
 
NordikNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linköping
Posts: 2,747
Likes (Received): 1408

Esbo is the safest biggest City to drive in.

An assessment of the accident statistics for 17 European countries from 2009 to 2012 by DEKRA Accident Research shows that a total of 462 towns and cities with over 50,000 inhabitants achieved a total of zero at least once in this period. These cities make up more than 40% of all the cities of that size in the countries examined. 16 cities recorded no traffic fatalities throughout the entire period from 2009 to 2012, one of the in Norway, 6 in Germany and 9 in the United Kingdom.

Of the cities with over 100,000 inhabitants, a total of 88 (or 23,7% of all those cities) have succeeded in making “Vision Zero” happen in at least one year. Among them are even cities with a number of inhabitants over 200,000 (Espoo / Finland: 259,000; Aachen / Germany: 260,000; Nottingham / England: 289,000).

http://www.dekra.com/en/press_releas...cleID=45113654
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:05 PM   #557
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,804
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
An assessment of the accident statistics for 17 European countries from 2009 to 2012 by DEKRA Accident Research shows that a total of 462 towns and cities with over 50,000 inhabitants achieved a total of zero at least once in this period. These cities make up more than 40% of all the cities of that size in the countries examined. 16 cities recorded no traffic fatalities throughout the entire period from 2009 to 2012, one of the in Norway, 6 in Germany and 9 in the United Kingdom.

Of the cities with over 100,000 inhabitants, a total of 88 (or 23,7% of all those cities) have succeeded in making “Vision Zero” happen in at least one year. Among them are even cities with a number of inhabitants over 200,000 (Espoo / Finland: 259,000; Aachen / Germany: 260,000; Nottingham / England: 289,000).

http://www.dekra.com/en/press_releas...cleID=45113654
These analysis are somewhat problematic, because the semantics of the term "city" varies a lot by country. For instance, Berlin is one municipality while the Greater Paris is a conglomeration of 1000+ municipalities.

Espoo is the western part of the Greater Helsinki area, something like what Asker and Bærum together are to Oslo. Espoo does not have an inner city but it consists of several clusters of suburbs. That is why the figures are not directly comparable to those of Helsinki.

The same note applies to Villeurbanne, which is an integral part of the Lyon metropolitan area.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 11:40 PM   #558
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller
 
NordikNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Linköping
Posts: 2,747
Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
These analysis are somewhat problematic, because the semantics of the term "city" varies a lot by country. For instance, Berlin is one municipality while the Greater Paris is a conglomeration of 1000+ municipalities.

Espoo is the western part of the Greater Helsinki area, something like what Asker and Bærum together are to Oslo. Espoo does not have an inner city but it consists of several clusters of suburbs. That is why the figures are not directly comparable to those of Helsinki.
Well, maybe Espoo will lose ranking due to the chaotic snowy weather that is going on right now.


Trucks stuck in Espoo.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 12:03 AM   #559
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,804
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Well, maybe Espoo will lose ranking due to the chaotic snowy weather that is going on right now.


Trucks stuck in Espoo.
No, it does not. There were 10+ trucks stuck on the 3% uphill at Ring 1 of Helsinki. Most of them from Poland. No person injuries. The word "chaotic" is pressspeak. The conditions were somewhat challenging but far from being a chaos.

I have hard feelings towards those ones coming to the North with unsuitable vehicles. And that is not enough: They drive side by side, thus killing the whole road. I'd send them to Antarctica to count penguins.

I was there... Stuck in the queue for more than half an hour. The police diverted the passenger car traffic out of the Ring via a footpath to the streets.

Here we go:

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 05:13 AM   #560
RV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Porvoo
Posts: 726
Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Here we go:

This is also because of the stupid traffic lights on the busiest road in the country, which will be removed by... 2080?
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
finland, islands, roads

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium