daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

The Kehä III / Airport Road interchange on 4 December.

KehäIII-parannushankkeen 2. vaihe by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

KehäIII-parannushankkeen 2. vaihe by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Kehä III / Vt. 7 interchange in Helsinki.

KehäIII parannushankkeen 2. vaihe by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

KehäIII parannushankkeen 2. vaihe by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Juhis liked this post
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #583
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hamina bypass opens to traffic tomorrow

http://news.cision.com/fi/liikennevi...-2014,c9696750

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #584
RHPLUS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 207

Finnish motorways are beautifully designed.
I admire the architecture of Finland for years.
In Poland, it spents a lot of money for ugly road infrastructure. I was very worried.
RHPLUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #585
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

Is there any particular reason why Finland uses "non-standard" narrow crash barriers like these here?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #586
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Is there any particular reason why Finland uses "non-standard" narrow crash barriers like these here?
Which property does make these non-standard ones?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #587
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPLUS View Post
In Poland, it spents a lot of money for ugly road infrastructure. I was very worried.
Only if we had the network we need...
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #588
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Hamina bypass is open to traffic!

If I calculated correctly, 53 kilometers of new motorway opened to traffic in 2014, the highest amount since 1992.
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #589
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Which property does make these non-standard ones?
I put the non-standard in quotes because they obviously are up to standard, they are just narrower than elsewhere in Europe. I was wondering if there's a particular reason for that.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #590
MattiG

Quote:
I put the non-standard in quotes because they obviously are up to standard, they are just narrower than elsewhere in Europe. I was wondering if there's a particular reason for that.
Narrower? Those rails?
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #591
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPLUS View Post
I don't know why you think that Poland is making bad looking motorways.In my opinion they are one of the nicest in Europe.
Flat and safe with little number of curves.

GROBIN liked this post
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #592
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Narrower? Those rails?
Yes, the guard rail is narrower. Compare this Finnish guard rail with the ones used in Estonia and France, for example.
Old December 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #593
MattiG

Quote:
Yes, the guard rail is narrower. Compare this Finnish guard rail with the ones used in Estonia and France, for example.
I cannot see difference between the Estonian and Finnish structures.

There is a rather new set of European standards, called EN 1317 family. The design of barriers is always a trade-off: They must be rigid enough to prevent a vehicle from running out of the road, and non-rigid enough to prevent personal injuries from happening. In the arctic areas, the characteristics related to snow and ploughing are important, too.

The default rail in Finland is Containment Class N2 Impact Severity Class A. At challenging sections, H1/A or H2/B classes may be used. On bridges, the default rail is H2/B. These choices vary by country. Typically, the higher containment classes are in use in countries having high traffic volumes, and a high share of heavy vehicles.

The family of standards is pretty new. Comparing old structures to new ones may be like comparing apples to oranges.

tonttula liked this post
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #594
MattiG

Reindeer

A reindeer herd blocking the highway somewhere in the North. Warning about offensive language.

Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 20th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #595
RV

Plans for Lahti southern by-pass (area home for 200 000 people) have been downgraded. A great deal of it will be mostly 1+1-laned regular road instead of initially planned full motorway. Interchange with the main street of Lahti has also been cutted. Also the interchange around the main industrial area of Lahti is in danger. And this for 20 or so millions out of 250! Year or two, and people will complain about truck-accidents and ADT! Typical Finnish shit-roadplanning. Just to save a few millions, to spend more in a few years...

Discussing this and re-planning will cost this project another four years. Maybe by then they will again understand the need of a full-lenght expressway. That would mean another four years...

Last edited by RV; December 20th, 2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old December 21st, 2014, 08:00 PM   #596
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Plans for Lahti southern by-pass (area home for 200 000 people) have been downgraded. A great deal of it will be mostly 1+1-laned regular road instead of initially planned full motorway. Interchange with the main street of Lahti has also been cutted. Also the interchange around the main industrial area of Lahti is in danger. And this for 20 or so millions out of 250! Year or two, and people will complain about truck-accidents and ADT! Typical Finnish shit-roadplanning. Just to save a few millions, to spend more in a few years...
What's the point? The bypass would mostly serve the traffic flows west-to-east and west-to-north. The existing west-to-east road through the city is 2+2 already. It has traffic lights, though. Still I wonder how many would change that to a longer 1+1...

Besides, there already is a regular road passing the city in the south, namely 296. Want to save some money? Rename it, put some new signposts, and woosh! like magic, you've got a bypass, no construction needed. It's only 2 km extra.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 01:14 AM   #597
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
What's the point? The bypass would mostly serve the traffic flows west-to-east and west-to-north. The existing west-to-east road through the city is 2+2 already. It has traffic lights, though. Still I wonder how many would change that to a longer 1+1...

Besides, there already is a regular road passing the city in the south, namely 296. Want to save some money? Rename it, put some new signposts, and woosh! like magic, you've got a bypass, no construction needed. It's only 2 km extra.
That road is 1+1. There are going to be a traffic of 13 000 A(A)DT on that 1+1-section. Such b-shit. It's about the main east-west corridor in the country besides E18 and supports a lot of trucks. And just to save a couple millions and then note that (like in Tampere) capacity is too low but it will be expanded in 2150 or something. If you do something, do it properly at once or leave it. Anyways this is going to cost years for this project that was ready for the 2015-2019 budget.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 01:31 AM   #598
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Just a li'l OT: which is the northernmost airport in Finland with connections from major European cities and where one can rent a car to drive to Nordkapp in Norway?
Or, asked in another way, which is the "best"/most recommended route by car from Finland to the Nordkapp?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:35 AM   #599
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
That road is 1+1. There are going to be a traffic of 13 000 A(A)DT on that 1+1-section. Such b-shit. It's about the main east-west corridor in the country besides E18 and supports a lot of trucks.
I know. Tried irony and failed.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 07:09 AM   #600
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Just a li'l OT: which is the northernmost airport in Finland with connections from major European cities and where one can rent a car to drive to Nordkapp in Norway?
If by connections you mean direct flights, then it's
- on high season Rovaniemi, check details from your airline
- year around, if Stockholm, London-Stansted and Bremen are major enough, Tampere
- otherwise Helsinki

However, if a plane change in Helsinki is ok, then it's Ivalo.

Also note that "high season" in Rovaniemi means usually winter, and winter really isn't a recommended time to visit Nordkapp. The final part of the road may simply be closed entirely. Of course you can fly to Rovaniemi in summer as well if you change plane in Helsinki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Or, asked in another way, which is the "best"/most recommended route by car from Finland to the Nordkapp?
Depends on where you start, but mostly you must choose between east and west. (Or make a round-trip, one route to go and the other to return, and see more Finnish Lapland on your way.) On the eastern route take either 4 or 5 up to Sodankylä (4 is faster but much more boring). From Sodankylä go on 4 to Ivalo (unless you flew there in the first place) and further on to Kaamanen, then 92 to the Norwegian border and further on (still 92) to Kárášjohka, then E6 and E69.

On the western route leave 4 in Kemi, take 29 to Tornio, then 21 to Muonio and futher on to Palojoensuu, then 93 to the Norwegian border and further on (still 93) to Alta, then E6 and E69.

Corvinus liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; January 6th, 2015 at 01:59 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
finland, islands, roads