daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #601
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Thank you for the detailed information.

What language is "Kárašjohka" in? Neither Finnish nor Norwegian have the "š" letter?!
In Norwegian, apparently, it's Karasjok.

Of course I would go in the summer, I would want to see the midnight sun.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #602
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Thank you for the detailed information.

What language is "Kárašjohka" in? Neither Finnish nor Norwegian have the "š" letter?!
In Norwegian, apparently, it's Karasjok.

Of course I would go in the summer, I would want to see the midnight sun.
It is the Sami language, the Northern Sami variant to be precise. The signs showing names in Sami are common in the Northern Finland and Norway. The written form may vary across the variants.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 10:34 AM   #603
MattiG

7/E18 Hamina-Vaalimaa

The last remaining section of the bad E18 in Finland will be upgraded to a motorway. The Finnish Transport Agency announced yesterday that they have reached a procurement decision regarding to building the 32 km section from Hamina to Vaalimaa at the Finnish-Russian border. The road will be built in the PPP mode, and the service provider takes the responsibility for maintenance for about 20 years.

The project page in English: http://portal.liikennevirasto.fi/siv...amina_vaalimaa

The construction is planned to begin in August 2015, and to be complete by the end of 2018.

The high-level plans can be found at:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:35 AM   #604
MattiG

Mail Delivery Vehicles to Measure Road Condition

The gravel roads may be in a bad condition after the winter. Weight restrictions may be introduced. The Finnish Road Agendy and Finland Post are running a pilot project to measure the road condition. The mail delivery vehicles are equipped with sensors measuring the softness and unevenness of the road. The results are visible on a public website with colour coding:

Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:57 PM   #605
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Still can't understand why bypasses of cities of big importance are built so freaking far from actual population centers! I'm a supporter of the "American way" of building freeways - I mean, look at Salo (55 000 pop.) or Hamina or Porvoo (Helsinki satellite city, pop. 50 000 and AADT's of 20 000 on old little streets). This way leaves a good piece of traffic on old outdated horse tracks and does not serve at all the cities. The same does the lack of interchanges around bigger cities.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #606
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

It all depends on what the purpose of the bypass is. If the bypass is meant to divert long-distance traffic away from the towns then it doesn't have to be very close.

The "American" way of building motorways doesn't exist anymore in the Western world. Quite the opposite, inner-city motorways are either torn down or taken underground.

It wouldn't be possible to build the E18 around Porvoo closer to the town centre without demolishing a huge number of houses and tearing apart a neighbourhood.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #607
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
It all depends on what the purpose of the bypass is. If the bypass is meant to divert long-distance traffic away from the towns then it doesn't have to be very close.

The "American" way of building motorways doesn't exist anymore in the Western world. Quite the opposite, inner-city motorways are either torn down or taken underground.

It wouldn't be possible to build the E18 around Porvoo closer to the town centre without demolishing a huge number of houses and tearing apart a neighbourhood.
Actually it could excellently had been built in the 70's along with major suburbs following road 1543, thus also serving Tolkkinen harbour and Kilpilahti oil combinate. The purpose of motorways is still also quitting traffic from congested tiny old roads, and this did not happen neither in Porvoo, Salo or Hamina.
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #608
Alexander Kanavin

Likes (Received): 17

RV's obsession with building motorways everywhere is looking increasingly bizarre. This is where cities are actually headed nowadays:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...P=share_btn_fb

"Cities around the world are coming to the same conclusion: they’d be better off with far fewer cars."

Helsinki is unfortunately totally lagging behind here. Still thinking that building extra car lanes on highways will help with congestion in the long term.
Alexander Kanavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #609
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

You'll see two different kind of realities. Dense urban centers with a significantly different demographic than the national average, where car travel is fairly low, and the suburbs / small cities where car travel is the norm.

The share of driving is high across Europe (the modal share is mostly in the 80 - 90% range) and car travel is increasing, though maybe not as fast as before 2000 due to slower population growth and economic stagnation in some regions. In Finland, road traffic is increasing as well.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #610
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kanavin View Post
RV's obsession with building motorways everywhere is looking increasingly bizarre. This is where cities are actually headed nowadays:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...P=share_btn_fb

"Cities around the world are coming to the same conclusion: they’d be better off with far fewer cars."

Helsinki is unfortunately totally lagging behind here. Still thinking that building extra car lanes on highways will help with congestion in the long term.
Helsinki traffic planning has been dominated by crazy Greens since the 70's, and lanes are constantly being removed! And that is sh*t and does not solve anything; it though moves business out of the centers.

My point is, that building a new road but leaving 20 000 cars a day on an 1+1-laned street is not human-friendly.
Old April 29th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #611
Alexander Kanavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Helsinki traffic planning has been dominated by crazy Greens since the 70's, and lanes are constantly being removed!
Where are the lanes constantly removed in Helsinki? Examples please.

Quote:
And that is sh*t and does not solve anything; it though moves business out of the centers.
Where's your evidence for a) businesses moving out of centers; b) the cause for that process being increasing difficulty of getting personal cars into city centers, and not something else (e.g. increasing office rents, falling profits)?

Quote:
My point is, that building a new road but leaving 20 000 cars a day on an 1+1-laned street is not human-friendly.
No it's not, so let's find ways to reduce the amount of cars and better ways to share them.
Old April 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #612
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kanavin View Post
Where are the lanes constantly removed in Helsinki? Examples please.
Main street (Mannerheim street) and Esplanades with big congestion problems nowadays (3+3/4+4 to 2+2 in 2000), Runeberg street converting from 3-laned artery (one direction, because it was so near Mannerheimintie) and Autotalo square (4 lanes/directions) converted into 1+1/1bus+1+1+1bus-streets, Hämeentie (AADT 30 000) and Mannerheimintie (up to 50 000) second lanes converting into bus lanes, Hakaniemi square reduced from 4+4 to 2+2 (1+1+1+1), Amanda square "remodeling", crazy "boulevard"-projects (though toughly luckily rejected from the State)...

Quote:
Where's your evidence for a) businesses moving out of centers; b) the cause for that process being increasing difficulty of getting personal cars into city centers, and not something else (e.g. increasing office rents, falling profits)?
I know businessmen and hard workers driving 50 Km each morning to Helsinki to work. They don't like lights and rushes that much; then, adding a few lanes doesn't cost shit. I though support strongly public traffic via metro; Stockholm is my model. They don't live there according to Green fantasies but by realities and build equally both networks better.

Quote:
No it's not, so let's find ways to reduce the amount of cars and better ways to share them.
Why? The car is the key to modernity - the capacity to move from home to home easily without waiting trams in -30C. If you hate so much cars, I dunno what u doing here in the motorway forum.

Last edited by RV; April 29th, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:15 PM   #613
Alexander Kanavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Why? The car is the key to modernity - the capacity to move from home to home easily without waiting trams in -30C. If you hate so much cars, I dunno what u doing here in the motorway forum.
Because I (and many other Helsinki residents) like to live in a city that is pedestrian and cyclist-friendly - those are my two favourite ways to get around. I want expensive street parking for private cars (undergournd parking on the other hand should be dirt cheap), wider sidewalks, more cycling lanes and more streets closed to personal car traffic, and I vote according to what I want. For example, Hämeentie should be closed to private cars altogether between Hakaniemi and Kurvi, because it's a very unpleasant street that no one likes to be on; cars can easily move to Sörnaisten rantatie instead, which has a lot of lanes and is far away from any residential areas. Waiting for a tram/bus is never an issue for me in any weather; they have a schedule and they come on time.

I need a car maybe twice a year when I have to carry a large piece of furniture from IKEA, and I have two car rentals 100 and 300 meters from my apartment for that. When smart, automatic car rental services become widespread, I'll just check from my smartphone where is the nearest available car when I need one, and go take it. Similar to Autolib providing electric cars in Paris.

If you dislike all of the above, then move to Helsinki so you can vote in car-friendly politicians. Until then, let Helsinki residents decide how they want the city to develop. Fair enough?
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:35 AM   #614
RV

I live in Helsinki and all who doesn't live in the center and exclusively in its "hippie" eastern part, just to say, supports better roads, and better rail in the form of a metro network. And that's 4/5 of Helsinki inhabitants, so our opinions should be noted.

Upgrade Sörnäisten Rantatie to an expressway (which is perfectly possible since the reservations allow to do even that without demolishing anything) and Hämeentie indeed could be converted into a rail/pedestrian ethnic street, a "little-every part of the world". Build the Central Tunnel, and whole Mannerheimintie could be converted into a gorgeous pedestrian area. The problem is, that Green nor Leftist politicians rarely (never) accept compromises for people who think differently or have different needs than them.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #615
MattiG

From a highway to a lousy forest road

Finland implement the first road classification scheme in 1938. With a few exceptions, all the "highways" were windy gravel roads. The whole road network was rebuilt between about 1945 and 1975. The old roads were taken into another use, or were abandoned, or they just disappeared.

Here we have a short footage about an abandoned section of the former road 3 between Hämeenlinna an Tampere. The road dates back to the medieval ages, and it was designated to the road 3 in 1938. The new alignment of the road 3 was complete in 1964, and the historical road was downgraded to a rural road. It was abandoned in 1970 when the new road, currently highway 57, was complete.

A number of road fragments still exist as local or private roads. This fragment is used for forestry purposes and it is barely passable by passenger cars. The road is much narrower than earlier, because the forest has taken over much of the road in 45 years.

Highway89, RV liked this post
Old May 26th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #616
Дмитрий Кудряшо

Likes (Received): 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Here we have a short footage about an abandoned section of the former road 3 between Hämeenlinna an Tampere. The road dates back to the medieval ages, and it was designated to the road 3 in 1938. The new alignment of the road 3 was complete in 1964, and the historical road was downgraded to a rural road. It was abandoned in 1970 when the new road, currently highway 57, was complete...
Thank you!
Historic kilometer marks remain there?

Analogous these:

IMGP2776 by Dmitriy Kudryashov , on Flickr
Дмитрий Кудряшо no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #617
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Дмитрий Кудряшо View Post
Thank you!
Historic kilometer marks remain there?

Analogous these:

IMGP2776 by Dmitriy Kudryashov , on Flickr
No, the kilometer stones have been removed.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #618
MattiG

Permanent Weight Restriction to Jännevirta Bridge

The Jännevirta bridge on the road 9 between Kuopio and Joensuu was built in 1951. For years, it has been a bottleneck: It is narrow, and its opening machinery has turned unreliable. The bridge is opened 400-500 times during the summer season.

The load bearing capacity of the arch part of the bridge was increased in 1990 by adding four longitudinal steel tension bars.

One of these bars broke down a few weeks ago due to corrosion. Now, it has been repaired. In order to keep the bridge in use until the new bridge is complete no earlier than 2018, a permanent speed limit of 40 km/h and weight limit of 65 tons have been introduced as of today. No short alternative route for the heaviest vehicles is in place.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@62.97133...F2XzJuTuyA!2e0

Last edited by MattiG; May 28th, 2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old June 11th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #619
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

E18

Service agreement signed for E18 Hamina–Vaalimaa motorway

Today, the Finnish Transport Agency and Tieyhtiö Vaalimaa Oy have signed a nearly 20-year service agreement to build the Hamina–Vaalimaa motorway on a public-private partnership basis. The agreement includes planning, construction, funding and maintenance of the motorway. The total value of the agreement is 378 million euros. Thanks to the public-private partnership model, the motorway can be completed at a lower cost and sooner than planned: the Finnish Transport Agency will be able to save over 150 million euros in reduced service charges over a period of 20 years. The road will open to traffic in spring 2018, one year ahead of schedule. Road construction commences in June. The main contractor is YIT Construction Ltd.
Full press release: http://www.epressi.com/tiedotteet/lo...-motorway.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #620
crazy-driver
BANNED

Likes (Received): 883

378 million euros is it the total price of the Hamina-Vaalimaa motorway construction?
crazy-driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
finland, islands, roads