daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #661
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

50/E18 Ring 3 of Helsinki, Upgrade Phase 2 Complete

The upgrade works at the middle and east sections of Ring 3 of Helsinki are complete. The completion took place ahead of schedule and well under budget. The cost was 110 million euro compared while the budget was 150 million.

The result justifies that it is reasonable to invest into infrastructure during a recession when the price level drops. The project was not run under a PPP model but as a normal state-driven project.

The project removed the last remaining traffic lights from the E18 part of the ring road. There still is a short section of 4 kilometers which does not qualify as a motorway due to non-separated bus stops as well as level crossings of ramps and bicycle routes.

tonttula, RV, BadHatter liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #662
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Totally agree. I wish that this saving on costs will mean that the last for now-improvement of the E-18-section (Espoo-Airport), bringing the section to motorway standard and 3+3-4+4 lanes, will contribute in the soon upgrading of this section as planned.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #663
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Totally agree. I wish that this saving on costs will mean that the last for now-improvement of the E-18-section (Espoo-Airport), bringing the section to motorway standard and 3+3-4+4 lanes, will contribute in the soon upgrading of this section as planned.
The airport already is nearby.
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #664
MattiG

I have edited a few new cockpit videos from my latest trips to the North. The theme is the road 4/E75, the national backbone. The new videos cover about 460 kilometers. Together with the older ones, the coverage is 1000 kilometers. Only 300 kilometers remain missing.

The interesting point to the international audience may be how silent the roads above the Arctic Circle are. The AADT figures vary from 200+ (Kaamanen-Utsjoki) to 3500+ close to Rovaniemi.

Highway89, verreme, Juhis, Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #665
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The 9 km extension to the existing motorway Turku-Raisio was opened on November 27, 2015 as a 2+2 road. The remaining 3 km are under construction. The whole section of 12 km will be signed as a motorway in the autumn 2016.
I forgot updating my motorway u/c list last year. If I got it right, the southern 3km section is not yet opened. I think the sections are these:

Vt8: Nousiainen – Marsku-South 9km (February 2014 to 27th November 2015) – ? – map
Vt8: Masku-South – Raisio-North 3km (February 2014 to Fall 2016) – ? – map

Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Äänekoski by-pass is under costruction, with 4 Kms of express(motor)way. Part of the future upgrade of the extremely low-standard Äänekoski-Jyväskylä section with 1+1 lanes and 10 000 - 25 000 AADT to full motorway standards. Sort of a suprise project which is related to some industrial devepelopement in the area.
Where is the section u/c, from south of the bridge to Vt4/13 junction? Will the latter be upgraded to a grade-separated interchange?

Are there any project pages with maps or time schedule about both projects?

I think there is currently only one additional motorway u/c in Finland, isn't it?

Vt7: Hamina-East – Vaalimaan 32km (June 2015 to Spring 2018) – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #666
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

MattiG, a little bit OT, but how do you manage to get the coordinates and the speed onto the video?
Eulanthe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #667
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I forgot updating my motorway u/c list last year. If I got it right, the southern 3km section is not yet opened. I think the sections are these:
Northern. (Masku-Nousiainen)

Quote:
Where is the section u/c, from south of the bridge to Vt4/13 junction? Will the latter be upgraded to a grade-separated interchange?

Are there any project pages with maps or time schedule about both projects?
There are two separate projects (the 4/13 junction, and the section to the north of it). They are in a planning state targeting to reach the readiness to start the construction in late 2016.

Project pages:

https://www.ely-keskus.fi/web/ely/el...s#.VpIUY_l96Uk
https://www.ely-keskus.fi/web/ely/el...s#.VpIWc_l96Uk

Maps:

https://www.ely-keskus.fi/documents/...a-7e34ae86f711
http://www.ely-keskus.fi/documents/1...e-388b53590a14

Quote:
I think there is currently only one additional motorway u/c in Finland, isn't it?
Yes.

MichiH liked this post
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #668
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
MattiG, a little bit OT, but how do you manage to get the coordinates and the speed onto the video?
A dedicated GPS device feeds the location and speed data to the camera, and the camera burns the data on the footage.
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #669
MichiH

Quote:
Northern. (Masku-Nousiainen)
I was misled by OSM but it's mapped like you said now.

Vt8: Marsku – Raisio-North 9km (February 2014 to 27th November 2015) – ? – map
Vt8: Nousianinen – Masku 3km (February 2014 to Fall 2016) – ? – map

Is there a project page for Vt8 upgrade?

Quote:
There are two separate projects (the 4/13 junction, and the section to the north of it). They are in a planning state targeting to reach the readiness to start the construction in late 2016.
If I got it right, it should be like this:

Vt4: Mämmenkyla – Myllyntaus ~7.5km (Late 2016 to ?) – projectmap
Vt4: Myllyntaus – Rannankylä ~4km (Late 2016 to ?) – projectmap

Is there any estimated completion date / construction period?

RV has reported that "Äänekoski by-pass is under costruction with 4 Kms of express(motor)way. Part of the future upgrade [...] to full motorway standards." Sounds like a part of the section is already u/c?!?! The section length of the section with the Vt13 interchange has 4km but the project page indicates a construction begin in fall 2016. What's u/c?

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #670
MattiG

Quote:

Is there a project page for Vt8 upgrade?
Well... There is one. It does not provide too much information: http://www.liikennevirasto.fi/turkupori#.VpLKT_l96Uk

Quote:
Is there any estimated completion date / construction period?

RV has reported that "Äänekoski by-pass is under costruction with 4 Kms of express(motor)way. Part of the future upgrade [...] to full motorway standards." Sounds like a part of the section is already u/c?!?! The section length of the section with the Vt13 interchange has 4km but the project page indicates a construction begin in fall 2016. What's u/c?
It is not yet under construction. The old Kotakennäänsalmi bridge on 4/E75 was under extensive repair in 2013 but that was a separate project.

The basic reason to the upgrade is the new bio product mill under construction in Äänekoski. It will ramp up during the second half of 2017. The road upgrades will not be complete earlier than 2019.

The products will be exported through the Port of Helsinki, and they will be transported to Helsinki by train. To enable that, the railway Jyväskylä-Äänekoski will be upgraded and electrified. The Jämsä-Jyväskylä section will face some repairs, too.

http://www.liikennevirasto.fi/aanekoski#.VpLNzPl96Ul

The 40 km road section Jyväskylä-Äänekoski is the lousiest one on the national backbone 4/E75. It was built in 1950's when the traffic volumes were low. The share of heavy traffic is high. There is a planning work in progress to upgrade the road to a motorway or to a 2+2 road.

MichiH liked this post
Old January 13th, 2016, 02:09 PM   #671
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:

Vt7: Hamina-East – Vaalimaan 32km (June 2015 to Spring 2018) – projectmap
Taavetti-Lappeenranta (30 Km's) and Mikkeli by-pass would be classified as motorways in almost every country, so actually there are. Waiting for this government's project list... Kehä III must be on there!
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #672
MichiH

Waiting for project list... I guess you expect that the construction works for both projects will begin in 2016 (or later) but they not yet under construction!?

Old January 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #673
Alexander Kanavin

Likes (Received): 17

Further works on improving Kehä III/vt7 have started:
http://www.liikennevirasto.fi/-/keha...t-kaynnistyvat

I have no idea why this wasn't part of the big upgrade project that was just reported as completed (but really isn't - there's still this and the Länsimäentie crossing with traffic lights to get rid of).
Alexander Kanavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #674
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kanavin View Post
Further works on improving Kehä III/vt7 have started:
http://www.liikennevirasto.fi/-/keha...t-kaynnistyvat

I have no idea why this wasn't part of the big upgrade project that was just reported as completed (but really isn't - there's still this and the Länsimäentie crossing with traffic lights to get rid of).
The decisions related to public investments are usually beyond any logic.

The focus of the Ring III Phase 2 project was to make free-flow connections to the E18, and that has happened. There was an extra timing constraint, too: The access roads to the new waste-to-energy plant at the NE sector of the junction should be completed as soon as possible. That is why some gaps had to be filled later.

Länsimäentie crossing? I have understood that the new grade-separated junction got opened in July as shown in the map.
Old January 14th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #675
Alexander Kanavin

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Länsimäentie crossing? I have understood that the new grade-separated junction got opened in July as shown in the map.
That should've read Länsisalmentie, sorry.
Alexander Kanavin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #676
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kanavin View Post
That should've read Länsisalmentie, sorry.
Ok. That intersection is not on E18, and therefore it was out of scope.
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #677
crazy-driver
BANNED

Likes (Received): 883

Any plans to extend Kehä III from Espoon Keskus till Länsiväylä?
crazy-driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #678
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-driver View Post
Any plans to extend Kehä III from Espoon Keskus till Länsiväylä?
That has happened decades ago.

If you mean upgrading it to a motorway class then no.
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #679
crazy-driver
BANNED

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
That has happened decades ago.

If you mean upgrading it to a motorway class then no.
At least 2x2. Sorry, I meant "upgrade"
crazy-driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #680
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-driver View Post
At least 2x2. Sorry, I meant "upgrade"
The reason is rather evident: The volumes of the local traffic are not high enough at least between the roads 51 and 1130, and for the long-haul traffic, the route via Lohja over the road 25 is better.

The maps show the two alternative routes between Karjaa and Espoo. (The middle one has no significance in this case.) The main transport corridor for the Port of Hanko is the road 25. It intersects with the radial motorway network at Lohja (1/E18), Hyvinkää (3/E12), and Mäntsälä (4/E75).

The northern alternative is five kilometers longer than the southern one. However, there are 33 kilometers of motorway (and 34 kilometers of rather a good 1+1 road with no major bottlenecks).

If the current gap of the road 50 (Ring III) were upgraded, there would be 19 kilometers of motorway from Espoo to Kirkkonummi. Still, 42 kilometers of 1+1 road would remain. I do not believe this investment would survive the cost vs benefits analysis.

Tags
finland, islands, roads