daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #821
ookke

Likes (Received): 22

VT 12/Highway 12 & mt 167, Construction between; spring 2017-2021

Info about the project in finnish:
http://www.liikennevirasto.fi/vt12letke#.WUJyhzdLe00

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/60.9559/25.6296

mt 167
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhu4...ature=youtu.be

VT 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QgtALGuB8

btw: How can I adjust the size of the images?
ookke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #822
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookke View Post
VT 12/Highway 12 & mt 167, Construction between; spring 2017-2021

Info about the project in finnish:
http://www.liikennevirasto.fi/vt12letke#.WUJyhzdLe00

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/60.9559/25.6296

mt 167
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhu4...ature=youtu.be

VT 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QgtALGuB8

btw: How can I adjust the size of the images?
Thanks!

If I got it right, only about 6km b/n Mt296 and Vt4 will have motorway/expressway standard (2 carriageways with each 2 lanes, grade-separted interchanges et cetera). It should be this section:

Vt12: Okeroinen – Kujala (Vt4) 6km (Spring 2017 to 2021) – projectmap

MT167 will have at-grade intersections and Vt4 does already have motorway standard.

Correct?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #823
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
There are two separate projects (the 4/13 junction, and the section to the north of it). They are in a planning state targeting to reach the readiness to start the construction in late 2016.
If I got it right, it should be like this:

Vt4: Mämmenkyla – Myllyntaus ~7.5km (Late 2016 to ?) – projectmap
Vt4: Myllyntaus – Rannankylä ~4km (Late 2016 to ?) – projectmap

Is there any estimated completion date / construction period?

RV has reported that "Äänekoski by-pass is under costruction with 4 Kms of express(motor)way. Part of the future upgrade [...] to full motorway standards." Sounds like a part of the section is already u/c?!?! The section length of the section with the Vt13 interchange has 4km but the project page indicates a construction begin in fall 2016. What's u/c?
Quote:
It is not yet under construction. The old Kotakennäänsalmi bridge on 4/E75 was under extensive repair in 2013 but that was a separate project.

The basic reason to the upgrade is the new bio product mill under construction in Äänekoski. It will ramp up during the second half of 2017. The road upgrades will not be complete earlier than 2019.
If I get the project pages right, both future Vt4 motorway/expressway sections are not yet under construction, are they? Is there any estimated start date?

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #824
MichiH

Quote:
If I get the project pages right, both future Vt4 motorway/expressway sections are not yet under construction, are they? Is there any estimated start date?
Unfortunately no response, so I had to went there...

The southern ~4km section is u/c and quite advanced for just about half a year of construction. There is even a layer of asphalt at the south end. The construction site begins about 1km south of Vt13 junction.

Old July 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #825
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:

The southern ~4km section is u/c and quite advanced for just about half a year of construction. There is even a layer of asphalt at the south end. The construction site begins about 1km south of Vt13 junction.
This is how the upgrade works are usually organized. The contractor loses money for every hour for a closed lane. Therefore, the new sections are built first, at least to be passable. The traffic will the diverted to them, and the works on the old sections do not make major harm to the traffic flow.

That financial model has been in place some 10-15 years, and the experiences are positive. For example, there is currently a massive construction site at the west end of the Ring 1 of Helsinki. Despite of the works and diversion routes, the traffic flows almost as usual.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

E18

Liikennevirasto just released a large set with 275 aerial photos of E18 Hamina - Vaalimaa.

Full album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/liiken...57686067521676

The Vaalimaa border crossing truck queue area.

E18 Hamina-Vaalimaa ilmakuvat kevät 2017 by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, MichiH, pai nosso, tonttula, riiga and 3 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #827
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Liikennevirasto just released a large set with 275 aerial photos of E18 Hamina - Vaalimaa.

The Vaalimaa border crossing truck queue area.
The queuing and parking area was built because of huge queues of trucks. The longest queue seen was 65 kilometers in length. The queue area moved the trucks from the shoulders to a more managed area. The reason for queues is the slow and random processing time of the customs office at the Russian side.

There are 410 slots for the outbound trucks (going to Russia) and 51 for the inbound ones.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:24 PM   #828
MichiH

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Road 6 will be upgraded to motorway Luumäki-Lappeenranta since next year as I've heard. Luumäki-Lappeenranta was luckily decided not to be revised to just a crappy 2+1-segment nearly a year ago after a scandal.
There will definitely be no motorway between Luumäki and Lappeenranta. The plans are based on "a narrow 2+2 road with a middle barrier". It means the lane width of 3.50 metres and narrow hard shoulders, and a total width of 19.00 meters. No 120 speed limit.

There is no final decision on how the road will be look like. There is a preliminary consensus to allocate 76 million euros to the construction in the future. However, this is 15 per cent less than the cost estimate based on the plans. Therefore, some downgrading actions will most probably be taken.

As the current economical climate is volatile, anything may happen. I would not be very surprised if the project were postponed for several years.
There's a map linked on the project page. It seems to me that no at-grade interchange will remain.

The first 9km section was opened on 23rd November 2016, see press release. I drove there in early July and - minimum this segment - has motorway standard (2x2 with median and access-controlled). The two remaing segments (upgrade of existing road and new alignment on Jurvala bypass) are announced to be opened in fall 2017.

Vt6: Jurvala-East – west of Selkäharju (Vt13) 9km (October 2015 to Fall 2017) – projectmap
Vt6: Luumäki (Vt26) – Jurvala-East 17km (October 2015 to 23rd November 2016) – projectmap

Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:34 PM   #829
MattiG

Quote:
There's a map linked on the project page. It seems to me that no at-grade interchange will remain.

The first 9km section was opened on 23rd November 2016, see press release. I drove there in early July and - minimum this segment - has motorway standard (2x2 with median and access-controlled). The two remaing segments (upgrade of existing road and new alignment on Jurvala bypass) are announced to be opened in fall 2017.
Everything you want to know about the project is contained at https://www.eurakka.net/fi/projektip...i_lappeenranta - in Finnish, of course. A good opportunity to begin learning this exotic language.

The section 2T is about general maps, and 3T about detailed maps. The section 12T might be of interest, too. It is the signage plan.

The question of whether it is a motorway or not is more about politics than technology. The Green party was present in the past cabinet to agree the project. It was easier for them to agree on "make an upgrade to a 4-lane road" than on "build 25 kilometers of motorway". Anyway, the narrow lanes and shoulder do not qualify with the Finnish standards on rural motorways. Because the road will be fully grade-separated and prohibited to all slow traffic, the only real difference will be the speed limit, which shall be 100 km/h.

MichiH liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; July 23rd, 2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old July 30th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #830
MattiG

Quote:

I was there a week ago while returning from the north.

As discussed earlier, there two separate but interconnected projects:

1) The southern one to upgrade the intersection of the roads 4/E75 and 13 at Huutomäki, and upgrade the existing 4/E75 to a 2+2 road

2) The northern one to upgrade the 4/E75 because of the new bio production mill under construction in Äänekoski. That includes building a new bridge over the lake Kuhnamo to replace the existing bridge at Kotakennäänsalmi.

The project 1) is ongoing and the project 2) is about to start within a few months.

My dashcam has collected footage of several thousands kilometers of roads in Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg during this summer. This 5-minute video covers the project 1).

MichiH liked this post
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #831
MattiG

A Truck Hits a Gantry

The eastbound Ring 3 of Helsinki is currently closed because a truck hit a gantry which collapsed. The incident is expected to create major harm, because this Monday morning is quite busy as many people are returning to the work after their holidays.

The westbound lanes are stuck, too, because people are watching.

The authorities expect that the flights might be delayed, too: The road is a major access route to the Helsinki Airport, and the flight staff may get stuck in their cars. The traffic maps do not show the case that severe.
Old August 10th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #832
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Valtatie 5, Mikkeli

Main road 5 in Mikkeli

Aseman eritasoliittymä by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Pitkäjärven eritasoliittymä by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Urpolan kaari, Urpis by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

Kaihun eritasoliittymä by Liikennevirasto, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highway89, 8166UY liked this post
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #833
MattiG

Quote:
Main road 5 in Mikkeli
Planning to make a test drive tomorrow. This is the second major upgrade of road 5 in Mikkeli.

The road 5 was one of the very first roads to upgrade to then modern standards after the WWII. Since that, those standards have turned obsolete, and the road gradually developed to one of the lousiest main roads in the country.

During the last 25 years, the road has been upgraded piece by piece by widening, removing curves and hills, and building 2+1 sections. The motorway nowadays extends 150 kilometers from Helsinki. After this project, there still are about 70 kilometers of old sections on the 390-kilometers leg Helsinki-Kuopio, mainly between Mikkeli an Kuopio. The upgrade project between Mikkeli and Juva (24 km of 2+2 and 2+1 road) is about to start this year.

ChrisZwolle, tonttula liked this post
Old August 13th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #834
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

I'd like 4-618-13-9 as an alternative between Helsinki and Kuopio.

The road quality isn't anyhow better, but it is shorter and the traffic volumes are lower, and in many cases it also saves time. Marginally, but anyway.
Old August 13th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #835
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
I'd like 4-618-13-9 as an alternative between Helsinki and Kuopio.

The road quality isn't anyhow better, but it is shorter and the traffic volumes are lower, and in many cases it also saves time. Marginally, but anyway.
The 9/E63 section Jämsä-Jyväskylä-Kuopio is lousy.

Earlier, the planning concept was: Roads consist of straight parts connected by curves. In 1960's it was turned upside down: Roads consist of curves connected by straight sections. The road 5 Jyväskylä-Kuopio was one of the first implementation of this new concept, and the planners exaggerated a little bit. Therefore, we have now 115 kilometers of quite modern main road having hardly any places to overtake. Fortunately, one of the best roadside cafés in Finland, Tiinan Tupa, lies at the halfway.
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #836
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
The 9/E63 section Jämsä-Jyväskylä-Kuopio is lousy.
It is, but beyond Jyväskylä the traffic is not that bad.

Quote:
The road 5 Jyväskylä-Kuopio
You may like to correct this.
Old August 14th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #837
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
It is, but beyond Jyväskylä the traffic is not that bad.
One truck is enough to make the experience bad if it cannot be overtaken.

The AADT on 9/23 east of Jyväskylä are higher than on 4 south of Jyväskylä. After the branch on 9 and 23, the traffic calms down substantially.

BTW, the attractiveness of the regional road 618 as a shortcut may have decreased since the upgrage of the 4/E75 Toivakka-Vaajakoski to a 2+1 road in a new alignment. A better choice might be to drive via the roudabout at the east end of the six-fold multiplex of roads 4, 9, 13, 23, E63, and E75.

Old August 14th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #838
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Earlier, the planning concept was: Roads consist of straight parts connected by curves. In 1960's it was turned upside down: Roads consist of curves connected by straight sections. The road 5 Jyväskylä-Kuopio was one of the first implementation of this new concept, and the planners exaggerated a little bit. Therefore, we have now 115 kilometers of quite modern main road having hardly any places to overtake.
It seems to me that Germany used this design concept as well for two-lane roads that are of relatively high standard (Kraftfahrstraße). Long curves and dense brush immediately off the edge of the road, making it almost impossible to pass other vehicles safely because the sight lines are too short.

The Netherlands hasn't used this concept but banned passing on almost any two-lane road since the early 2000s.
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #839
MattiG

Quote:
It seems to me that Germany used this design concept as well for two-lane roads that are of relatively high standard (Kraftfahrstraße). Long curves and dense brush immediately off the edge of the road, making it almost impossible to pass other vehicles safely because the sight lines are too short.

The Netherlands hasn't used this concept but banned passing on almost any two-lane road since the early 2000s.
Finland is very different from Germany and the Netherlands because of much lower population density. If you drive 100 km without entering a town or a village, it would be nice to be able to overtake when needed. Anything like that just won't happen in D or NL.

The road 9/E63 Jyväskylä-Kuopio is exceptional. Most other roads of the same age or younger have much better geometry to allow overtaking.
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #840
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

how do the Finnish drivers react to that situation? Any Polish-style "passing on three"?

Tags
finland, islands, roads