daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #121
scurt/2
rakastan sisua!

Likes (Received): 39

Is there any plan to unite the Tornio-Kemi motorway with the Oulu by-pass motorway?
scurt/2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #122
Juhis

Likes (Received): 0

Kehä/Ring I of Helsinki
Juhis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #123
RV

Likes (Received): 53

Road 170 from Porvoo to Helsinki (Summer -08). This road was the main route from Helsinki to Porvoo and from there to the Russian border until the 1970's.

Underpassing the motorway

Söderkulla, suburb in the middle of nowhere in Sipoo

Motorway to Helsinki under us

Coming to Helsinki metropolitan area. This section will be upgraded until Vartiokylä to 2+2 lanes (the actual 2+2-laned section starts in Vartiokylä)

3rd Ring Road

Mellunmäki suburb

Itäkeskus

Eastern Motorway begins

Herttoniemi suburb

Coming to Helsinki

Western Motorway (Länsiväylä) or National Road 51 towars Espoo

Distant Meilahti

Towards Helsinki:

RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #124
Jevpls

I may visit Finland this summer and I think that it would be useful to take a look at some highways. As I won't be there for a long time, I wold be grateful for some advice - which roads are really worth to see [I will arrive at Helsinki and my travel area won't be further ~300 km from Helsinki].

If it's possible then recommend me some 2+1 roads too (if there are any in this area).
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #125
Wover

Likes (Received): 44

I don't think there are 2+1 roads at all in Finland. Most of the roads have the same lay-out as in Latvia and Estonia (so not a lot of intersections, extra lanes for turning traffic,...).

There are some rural roads which go up and down a bit and are fun to drive on, but most roads are generally quite boring I think.

I suggest taking a tour along the coast east from Helsinki and then go north into the hilly regions (Karelia if I'm not mistaken).

And you can use Google Streetview to check out most Finnish roads.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:20 AM   #126
Jevpls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post
I don't think there are 2+1 roads at all in Finland. Most of the roads have the same lay-out as in Latvia and Estonia (so not a lot of intersections, extra lanes for turning traffic,...).
There should be some.
Like a year ago I contaced Finnish Road Administration and asked for help.
They gave me document in Finnish and said which table should I look at.
If I'm not wrong, then it's this table:

It's possible that one or more 2+1 roads from table have been reconstructed to 2+2 or maybe some new roads could be added.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #127
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wover View Post

There are some rural roads which go up and down a bit and are fun to drive on, but most roads are generally quite boring I think.

I suggest taking a tour along the coast east from Helsinki and then go north into the hilly regions (Karelia if I'm not mistaken).

And you can use Google Streetview to check out most Finnish roads.
2+1 lane configuration is actually used quite a lot on Finnish roads. Here, for example: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=6...138.04,,0,5.59
and here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...81.85,,0,11.71

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; April 13th, 2010 at 09:03 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #128
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 3927

Does anybody know where I can find detailed traffic count statistics for every main road (valtatie, kantatie)? All I can find are statistical yearbooks which don't include specific traffic volumes.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #129
motorhead86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Does anybody know where I can find detailed traffic count statistics for every main road (valtatie, kantatie)? All I can find are statistical yearbooks which don't include specific traffic volumes.
Is this what you're looking for? http://www.tiehallinto.fi/pls/wwwedit/docs/26602.PDF

Tampere Ring Road (Highway 3/E12) in Pirkkala

motorhead86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #130
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a lot

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #131
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting to see the Helsinki traffic patterns. There are no less than 8 radial roads to central Helsinki, most of which are motorways or expressways. They are mostly equally busy, with no single road dominating in traffic volumes. Most radial routes carry between 25.000 and 40.000 vehicles per day, which is not much considering Helsinki's size. But then again, put together there are over 250.000 vehicles per day towards central Helsinki. I guess the arterial roads in Helsinki are fairly able to absorb that kind of traffic.

No single motorway has really high traffic volumes, the highest is Kehä I (ring 1) with 87.000 vehicles per day. That motorway has six lanes. I guess structural traffic congestion is not too bad in Helsinki.

Old May 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #132
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 425

I've personally experienced pretty bad traffic in the very centre of the city, though. It took me 25 minutes during rush hour to ride the bus from the Western Port to the Central Railway Station, a distance of 3 km.

Helsinki metropolitan area is very suburban in nature so I guess that generates quite a bit of car traffic.
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #133
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The main problem I guess is that some motorways still have some traffic lights, for example Kehä I, II and III. A lot of motorway-to-motorway interchanges seems to be outdated as well, with low speed limits on parts of these ring roads.

An interesting feature is that many job centers actually seems to be outside the central peninsula, but mainly along Kehä I (Keilaniemi, Leppävaara, etc)

Another thing I noticed is that Helsinki seems to be booming, lots of new development. Helsinki also has one of the largest suburbs in Europe (Vantaa: 198,000 and Espoo: 245,000 inhabitants). It's quite uncommon to have such large suburbs in Europe, most metropolitan areas in Europe are an administrative mess with dozens of suburbs with relatively low population counts.

Old May 31st, 2010, 11:01 AM   #134
tayano

Yes, the ring roads are partly badly outdated, with traffic lights and limited-access interchanges. Still, they have been improved piece by piece, the ultimate goal is to get rid of all at-grade junctions and traffic lights. At the moment there are two major construction projects: Kehä I at Leppävaara, which includes a tunnel and an upgrade of the interchange with Turku Motorway. On Kehä III between Pakkala and Vantaankoski all at-grade junctions are being removed, and the interchange with Tampere Motorway upgraded.

Those roads have no motorway/expressway status. The criteria are very strict in Finland; there cannot be any at-grade junctions or traffic lights.

Here is another traffic map from 2007, which also includes major streets in central Helsinki: http://www.hel.fi/static/ksv/www/Lii...nemaarat07.pdf. The calculation criteria are different from basic AADT: This map represents a normal weekday average traffic volume on Sept, 2007. Calculated that way, traffic volumes are clearly higher (e.g. on Kehä I ca. 110 000).
tayano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM   #135
Wover

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The main problem I guess is that some motorways still have some traffic lights, for example Kehä I, II and III. A lot of motorway-to-motorway interchanges seems to be outdated as well, with low speed limits on parts of these ring roads.

An interesting feature is that many job centers actually seems to be outside the central peninsula, but mainly along Kehä I (Keilaniemi, Leppävaara, etc)

Another thing I noticed is that Helsinki seems to be booming, lots of new development. Helsinki also has one of the largest suburbs in Europe (Vantaa: 198,000 and Espoo: 245,000 inhabitants). It's quite uncommon to have such large suburbs in Europe, most metropolitan areas in Europe are an administrative mess with dozens of suburbs with relatively low population counts.
Are we talking "official" suburbs (I know that Vantaa is part of Helsinki, but is Espoo as well?)?

Espoo must be about 20km from Helsinki city centre or something?
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM   #136
tayano

Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa are all separate municipalities (with city status). Together with the small Kauniainen (pop. 8500) they comprise the so-called Capital Region, with more than 1 million inhabitants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Helsinki

It is really hard to tell exact distances, it depends on the criteria. The boundary between Helsinki and Espoo lies less than 10 km west of Helsinki city centre. The “original” town of Espoo lies some 20 km west, but the newer and more populous districts lie closer to Helsinki.

What is “official” suburb anyway?
tayano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #137
RV

Helsinki, roads (AADT and upgrading projects):

-Western mway (Road 51):
Currently 3+3 or 4+4 from Helsinki city center outskirts to Piispansilta (2 kms to the west from Kehä II). Planned to be upgraded to 3+3 from Piispansilta to Espoonlahti, and they started few months ago with the construction of motorway to Kirkkonummi. Planned extension from Kirkkonummi to Inkoo and later to Karjaa. AADT 20 000-90 000

-Turku mway. Currently 2+2 from the outskirts of the center to Kehä I, 3+3 from Kehä I to Kehä II and 2+2 all the way from Kehä II tu Turku. In the future it will be upgraded from the city center to National Road 2 in Vihti ca 30 Kms from the center to 3+3 and 4+4. AADT 30 000-70 000

-Vihti Road:
Currently 2+2 from Mannerheimintie to Kehä III and then 1+1 to Vihti. In the future it will be upgraded to expressway standard from Kehä I to Kehä III and to 2+2 from Kehä III to Lahnus. AADT 15 000-45 000

-Hämeenlinna mway:
Currently really outdated from Mannerheimintie to Kehä III. Future upgrade to 3+3 from Mannerheimintie to Kehä III, 4+4 from Kehä III to Kivistö and 3+3 from Kivistö to Klaukkala Road. AADT 40 000-65 000

-Tuusula mway:
Currently 3+3 from city center northern boundary to Kehä I, 4+4 2 kms north from Kehä I, 2+2 from there to Kehä III and 3+3/4+4 from Kehä III 3 kms north. Then 2+2 to Tuusula. Will be upgraded to 3+3 in the missing sections. AADT 40 000-90 000

-Lahti mway:
3+3 from Koskela to Porvoo mway and 2+2 from there to Lahti and nother.
Will be upgraded to 4+4 between Koskela and Porvoo mway and 3+3 between Porvoo mway and Road 152 in Korso. AADT 40 000-90 000

-Porvoo mway:
2+2 all the way with no more upgrades planned than a few new interchanges. AADT 25 000-35 000

-Eastern expressway:
3+3 from city center to Kehä I, 2+2 road with same-level intersections from Itäkeskus to Vartioharju and 1+1 easter. In the future, the intersection with Kehä I will be constructed as a big interchange, and the 2+2 section will be continued to somewhere in Sipoo. AADT 10 000-70 000

-Kehä I:
3+3 with traffic lights from Road 51 to Turku mway, 3+3 expressway from Turku mway to Tuusula mway, 2+2 expressway from Tuusula mway to Lahti mway and 2+2 road with traffic lights from Lahti mway to Eastern expw. Will be upgraded to a 3+3/4+4-expressway all the way. AADT 50 000-120 000

-Kehä II:
2+2 from Western mway to old Turku Road. Will be constructed to Hämeenlinna mway as a 3+3-expressway. AADT 20 000-50 000

-Kehä III:
1+1 road from Western mway in Kirkkonummi to Espoon Keskus, 2+2 motorway from Espoon Keskus to Vantaa border, 2+2-laned really outdated 2+2-laned street from Vantaa border to the Airport, 3+3/4+4-laned motorway from the Airport to Lahti mway and 2+2-laned normal road with expressway sections from Lahti mway to Vuosaari harbor. In the future, it will be made an expressway all the way (50 Km) from Kirkkonummi to Vuosaari, with 3+3 lanes from a few kms before the Vantaa border to the Porvoo mway (25 kms). AADT 15 000-100 000

-Pasila mway:
New motorway following the northern boundaries of central Helsinki as a 'Kehä 0' from Turku mway to Lahti mway. Currently just a 3+3 -section between Hämeenlinna mway and Pasila is built. Full lenght 3+3 in the future, AADT now around 50 000.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #138
RV

A new section (17,5 Kms) of the worlds most northern motorway has been opened bypassing Kemi
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #139
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Very nice. Now you can bypass more and more cities on Valtatie 4 / E75.

Old September 17th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #140
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 13

Any map of the new section? I looked at trafikverket.fi but couldn't find anything :/
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
finland, islands, roads