daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM   #61
flange

Likes (Received): 452

How the Big Yellow Self Storage at SPark will look, the steelwork is now up for the warehouse.

Due to open on Monday 19th September 2011.
http://www.bigyellow.co.uk/construct...name/Stockport
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM   #62
flange

Likes (Received): 452

Planning application is online for the new Sainsburys store.

Quote:
LAND AT KNIGHTSBRIDGE/GREAT PORTWOOD STREET, STOCKPORT, SK1 2BZ

Full planning permission for the redevelopment of land at Great Portwood Street / Knightsbridge including the demolition of existing buildings and the erection of a retail foodstore (Use Class A1) with associated landscaping, new and altered vehicular and pedestrian access, deck car parking, servicing, pedestrian footbridge, associated temporary works and utitlities / services required by the development.
http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/Pla...stemkey=111919

Site Plan

Elevations

Renders

flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM   #63
bank street

Likes (Received): 0

Check the 'Metrolink Easement' on the site plan at the top...!!
bank street no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:52 AM   #64
Gerbil
11th March 2009

Likes (Received): 24

So they're finally going to demolish the Railway Pub. Kind of knew it would happen eventually but it's still disgusting. Everything in Stockport centre east of Merseyway shopping centre should be levelled (and so should Merseyway for that matter) and they should start again, but this time actually think about the urban environment rather than allowing any old crap to go up. Or is that beyond the brain power of those at the council?
Gerbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM   #65
pixel2006

I "like" the Sainsbury proposal because:

1: If we have to have another supermarket, then at least they have minimised the footprint with the car parking arrangement

2: Some S106 looks to have been spent on the river and surrounds. Looking at the landscape plans (http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/...tNumber=166766) they seem to be creating some access down to the River Goyt. There is a label that says "Views of Listed Bridge", but I a think that could also be view of the confluence of the Tame and the Goyt, which is the start of the River Mersey.

Last edited by pixel2006; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
pixel2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM   #66
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
So they're finally going to demolish the Railway Pub. Kind of knew it would happen eventually but it's still disgusting. Everything in Stockport centre east of Merseyway shopping centre should be levelled (and so should Merseyway for that matter) and they should start again, but this time actually think about the urban environment rather than allowing any old crap to go up. Or is that beyond the brain power of those at the council?
portwood is and always has been a dump - whats left now after m60 and peel centre demolition really isn't worth anything so I will be glad to see it go

if we're talking really blue sky thinking then they need to uncover the river in the town centre which has been covered up since 1940 (when it was an open sewer) - mersey water quaility is such now, that it could be a fabulous shoppnig experience if they were able to rework the bridgefield proposal to include that kind of radical idea.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:42 PM   #67
Gerbil
11th March 2009

Likes (Received): 24

I agree about opening out the Mersey (that's why I'd suggest the removal of Merseyway - I don't think you could do it otherwise). Rather than covering over the river, they should cover over the motorway and build a shopping precinct there, with some kind of sloping/terraced arrangement from the park which is up on the cliff down to the river, emphasizing the geography of the town in a valley. Unfortunately, there seems to be neither the will nor the means.

As for portwood - yes it's a dump, and these plans demonstrate that it is still moving in the wrong direction. And about the Railway - it is one of the best pubs in south Manchester, so it certainly is a sad loss.
Gerbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #68
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
portwood is and always has been a dump - whats left now after m60 and peel centre demolition really isn't worth anything so I will be glad to see it go

if we're talking really blue sky thinking then they need to uncover the river in the town centre which has been covered up since 1940 (when it was an open sewer) - mersey water quaility is such now, that it could be a fabulous shoppnig experience if they were able to rework the bridgefield proposal to include that kind of radical idea.
I am right there was a power station where asda is now? I re call Portwood as quite light industrial. I have this very vague memory of visiting some leather factory with the mammy in the late seventies. It had a spiral staircase that completely intrigued me.

Not sure if you could un cover the Mersey as the present shopping centre is so shacked up that it would be merely a dark drain below, that made the pedestrian area narrower and less flexible.

Rochdale did open up the erm Roch and it was quite attractive ala stalybridge. Then closed it up.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; August 4th, 2011 at 12:52 AM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #69
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

there was indeed an ugly old powerstation where Asda Car Park is - you can still see the remnants of very large coolant pipes exiting into the river if you look over the edge of the bridge which now links Matalan to Corporation Street

you can see it to the left on this picture
image hosted on flickr

view from church past power station towards portwood, taken in 1983'ish
image hosted on flickr

View of Stockport Power Station (over a young girls head) taken from Newbridge Lane (roughly where St Mary's Way cross now) in 1983
image hosted on flickr

Leather factory was probably Kershaws Tannery in the big mill which remains next to Tescos

Last edited by DiscoSteve; August 4th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
DiscoSteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #70
heatonparkincakes

Be the devil be dancing and be buried in Killarney.

I really thought I had made that up in my head. Cheers Steve. I am half minded to go down to Stockport to check that out.
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #71
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

lets not forget the green giant too - the gasometer with the internal piston which is onscured by the power station in the middle picture

From Gregory Fox's excellent Scenes From The Past - Tiviot Dale comes this view of Portwood showing (left to right) Tiviot Dale Railway Station (M60 would be just to right of that now), Gt Portwood Street (running TL to BR), Cooling Tower, Green Giant Gasometer, Power Station, Newbridge Lane
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by DiscoSteve; August 4th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #72
pixel2006

I think in a time of austerity, we probably have to be grateful for the river access (crumbs that they maybe) that the Sainsbury proposal provides.

Where exactly does the river run? Could it actually be uncovered without costing a prohibitively large amount of wonga?

But if we are dreaming what about running the river through the building like the BA Headquarters (http://burohappold.sparkdata.net/BH/...dquarters.aspx) but on a much larger scale. Might be a few flooding issues, but hey ho, it's a dream init.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #73
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

where does the river run? its actually three rivers.

From the junction with Goyt/Tame in the Sainsbury Plans the Mersey goes under Knightsbridge behind the old Sainsburys and disappears under Merseyway Shopping Centre - directly under it all the way to Mersey Square and the A6 - some 1/4 to 1/2 mile underground I would say - so no a load of wonga would be needed - its been covered for 70 years!!! I've got some B/W photos showing it being covered up (by a dual carriageway originally)
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #74
pixel2006

Quote:
where does the river run? its actually three rivers.

From the junction with Goyt/Tame in the Sainsbury Plans the Mersey goes under Knightsbridge behind the old Sainsburys and disappears under Merseyway Shopping Centre - directly under it all the way to Mersey Square and the A6 - some 1/4 to 1/2 mile underground I would say - so no a load of wonga would be needed - its been covered for 70 years!!! I've got some B/W photos showing it being covered up (by a dual carriageway originally)
I thought it was under Merseyway Shopping Centre - so it isn't going to happen anytime soon. Wasn't there talk of some viewing portals at one time, or is that some made up memory I have just conjured up?

Three rivers? I thought after the confluence of the Tame and the Goyt there would just one. I thought the River Etherow joined the Goyt in Marple. Or am I getting confused? Edit: got it, you mean the Tame, Goyt and Mersey.

It would be great to see the photos of it being covered up - if it is not too much trouble.
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #75
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Stockport Council Website is starting to build a decent image archive now so here are a few that are relevant to this thread:

This is a view from over Portwood looking due West over Merseyway taken in 1979 before the M63 came through in 1982/3.
Right in the middle you can see the Merseyway Eastern River Portal.
Bottom left is where Asda is now, Bottom right is where the new Sainsburys is going to be, obscured above it is the River Goyt and the scrub land above that is where the current Sainsburys

This one was taken in 1981 is from further east but still looking westerly direction.
Green Giant on left hand side sits just above the two gasometers which are still there today behind the Peel Centre - the mill nearer to the camera bottom left is Dunelm now and St Mary's Way now sweeps across the bottom of the image to where there is a school building bottom right - this sat right on the M63 Roundabout at Portwood. It looks to me as if clearance for the motorway has started as the CLC railway viaduct is exposed quite clearly on the right hand side

Last edited by DiscoSteve; August 5th, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #76
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

one more for you

this one taken from where the M60 is now roughly where the Goyt meets the Tame to become the Mersey - the bridge in the foreground is obviously still there, but behind it all you will see now is the Asda Car Park!
Old August 5th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #77
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Oh go on since we were talking about uncovering the river here's two that show what was there before Merseyway Shopping Centre viewed from the West this time...

The dual carriageway - the original Mersey Way opened during the War

And before that... an open sewer...

Lancashire Bridge at the top, Mersey Square at the bottom and the iron lattice Union St Footbridge in the middle
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #78
pixel2006

Steve, excellent photos and commentary.

Firstly they answer a puzzle: I always wondered what those remains were on the Portwood roundabout.

Secondly I see the line of the Mersey and confirmed with a bit of Google map gandering. The river sits under the pedestrian bit.

I guess in the short term the best hope for getting more of the river is the what happens to the land where the current Sainburys sits. Does anyone know what is going on with that? This could form an impressive gateway site into the town centre coming from the east.

Longterm (assuming someone doesn't have a couple of billion and can start from scratch) the culvert looks a little tight and deep compared to the pedestrian level to uncover and still have somewhere to walk. Unless, that is, they create something akin to the Millennium Walkway at New Mills (http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/513...-at-new-mills/). Two wide walkways either side could be connected with bridges and bulge a certain points. Stick a groovy British Library type roof over the lot and there you have it, alfresco cafe riverside culture in the middle of Stockport.

Two issues:
1. Where's the dosh coming from?
2. Where are the wealthier clientele coming from?
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #79
heatonparkincakes

Quote:
one more for you

this one taken from where the M60 is now roughly where the Goyt meets the Tame to become the Mersey - the bridge in the foreground is obviously still there, but behind it all you will see now is the Asda Car Park!
Mein Gott! That's the one. I could not of seen it more than a hand ful of times, but it obviously has stuck itself in the wildest depths of my memory.

Sacre bleu! That dual carriage way through Stockport looks like a massive eyesore that thankfully never stayed.
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #80
original77

The "stilts" stockport sits on covering up the Mersey!

Millgate
This area was the site of the Mill Dam, a reservoir for the corn mills, which diverted the Goyt across the area where Asda and Sainsburys now stand. Around the area are holes like these.

The oldest standing bridge in Stockport, a listed structure built around 1800

It is a listed water wheel house, built in 1805, the only wheel house left in Stockport and its oldest standing industrial structure. Changes in the brickwork can be seen, the arch was once much higher. The wooden walkway is a later addition.

Loads more stunning pictures in "secret Stockport" - shows how much from the past is still intact if you look closely

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ad.php?t=60342
original77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote