daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old October 11th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #81
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 190

Great photos. One thing puzzles me though. As a kid I was privileged to a tour under Merseyway and I recall there being no daylight under there. And yet you have a recent photo with daylight showing through the concrete ribs of the suporting structure, exactly where along the length of Merseyway and on which side, north or south is that gap letting in daylight?

Sponsored Links

Old October 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #82
Joydivison82

Likes (Received): 45

Never realised just how industrial the centre of Stockport was. I knew it was industrial but not on that level, it looks very much like a Lancashire mill town. It is a fascinating town with so much history such as the first Richersounds outside of London :p:.

Sadly a visit to Stockport for me is a curse rather than a pleasure. The Merserway development needs to come down. Whats the point on building a new rival one there just isn't the demand and Merseyway will become a ghost town.
Joydivison82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #83
Gerbil
11th March 2009

Likes (Received): 24

I think there is a gap letting the light in just next to Mersey square - the black triangle in the middle of this google earth view:

Mersey Square Google Earth
Gerbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #84
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

so behind the mersey tavern (or The Chestergate as it is known) on the very Southern corner of the line of the old dual carriageway (which you can see curving in a NE direction behind the old Coop - now Primani) - I'm going to stick my head down there when I next get chance

Last edited by DiscoSteve; October 12th, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
DiscoSteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #85
lamarkia1

Likes (Received): 0

Hi, the Secret Stockport photos are mine. I'd love to see Merseyway demolished, it's a shame the river is covered up.

The light does indeed come from the back of Chestergate tavern though you can't see much from the top or get down to the river from there, unless you like abseiling

There have been test digs the old Faulders Mill site. I'll be keeping an eye on progress

Last edited by lamarkia1; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:24 PM.
lamarkia1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #86
flange

Likes (Received): 452

Two new planning applications have been submitted in regards redevelopment around Grand Central,
Quote:
Tenpin, Grand Central, Railway Road, Stockport SK1 3TA

Demolition of former Heaven and Hell Nightclub, Tenpin Bowling Alley and Brannigans to form temporary Car Park
http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/Pla...stemkey=113018

Quote:
Grand Central, Railway Road, Stockport

Construction and operation of a multi-storey car park south of Railway Road, Grand Central, Stockport with associated landscape, access, circulation and parking improvements.
http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/Pla...stemkey=113015

Excerpts from planning documents for the MSCP.

Quote:
1.1 This Planning Statement is submitted to accompany a full planning application for the construction and operation of a multi-storey car park (MSCP) south of Railway Road, Grand Central, Stockport. The application is additionally seeking the minor reorganisation of the adjacent short-stay car park. The application is submitted on behalf of Stockport Metropolitan Council (SMBC) by Broadway Malyan.

1.2 A separate application is also being submitted by Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council for a temporary car park on the site of the adjacent Ten Pin Bowling complex. This is to enable the number of available car parking spaces to be maintained during construction of the MSCP.

1.4 These development proposals were put forward by developers who have subsequently gone into administration. Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council (SMBC) subsequently purchased the site from the developers administrators in January 2011. It is the long term aspiration of SMBC to see the regeneration of the Grand Central area to create a gateway project. The site’s mix of uses and form of development will not dissimilar to that envisaged in the July 2007 application. SMBC are currently in the process of appointing a developer partner for the Grand Central project. The development partner is likely to be appointed later in 2011 or early 2012.

1.5 However in the short-term an opportunity has arisen to construct a multi-storey car park on the site of the current surface car park south of Railway Road, in particular to provide additional car parking for the rail station to meet existing and suppressed demand. This application is therefore seeking approval for this new multi-storey car park which will be very similar to that proposed to be permitted as part of the July 2007 application. It should be noted that the previous application received resolution to approve subject to a S.106 in 2008 and that there was no local resident objection to the application.
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #87
Splurb

Likes (Received): 4

Good that they are knocking it down, terrible entrance to Stockport at the moment. Slightly concerned at the mention of car park car park car park. They need to get this whole redevelopment right to link well with the town hall area and the new Sky offices/potential development at the Royal Mail sorting office. The whole area needs knitting together as an attractive gateway to the town.
Splurb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #88
flange

This was included in one of the planning documents so it might turn out like this, although this is most probably the previously approved plans before the previous developer went bust.

Old November 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #89
slipdigby

Likes (Received): 23

Playing devil with a massive chequebook's advocate here, but seeing as many (most?) services using the current bus station end up doing a lap round Stockport town centre anyway, would there not be potentially some mileage in selling off the existing site and building a new interchange on part of the Grand Central site?

In all (not so) seriousness,
Slip
slipdigby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #90
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
This was included in one of the planning documents so it might turn out like this, although this is most probably the previously approved plans before the previous developer went bust.

Megabowl is being demolished apparently - I think thats a mistake.
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #91
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipdigby View Post
Playing devil with a massive chequebook's advocate here, but seeing as many (most?) services using the current bus station end up doing a lap round Stockport town centre anyway, would there not be potentially some mileage in selling off the existing site and building a new interchange on part of the Grand Central site?

In all (not so) seriousness,
Slip
Metrolink will struggle to get up there though.... and its away from the main retail area - I say move the station onto the viaduct and have Giant Glass Lifts going up and down to bus station level ;-)
Old November 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #92
Gerbil
11th March 2009

Likes (Received): 24

Instead of lifts, how about a zip wire to Mersey Square!
Gerbil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #93
Joydivison82

Likes (Received): 45

Or do as I say and just knock down all of Stockport town centre and build a massive park on it instead. Yes I do seem to have it in for Stockport, but every time I go I end up having problems with chavs. The last time I was Stockport central library for example a big smell of weed was coming from the toilets!.

But what upsets me the most about Stockport is its wasted potential.
Old November 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #94
A6 Bypass

Likes (Received): 12

I spent my formative years roaming around the (then) gleaming spires of Merseyway. Oh the promise of travelators whisking you from Boots to WHSmiths!
AFAIK Merseyway was one of the first really big pedestrianised shopping centres in the NW if not the country (predates Arndale in Stretford for sure).
There'll be a preservation order on it before long mark my words! Touch not a hair on its horrible old head!
A6 Bypass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #95
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 249

The issues for Stockport is and will always are:

1. It's overshadowed by Manchester.
2. It is divided physically far greater than a river could Be, by the motorway and the A6.

Plus I am struggling to articulate this fairly so don't beAt me up.

But as an outsider I have occasionally encountered a weirdy attitude from the place about perceiving Stockport is special, a little better than the rest of the region, maybe even still
dreaming of being a Cheshire village. It feels it comes through in some strategic decisions.

I am marmite about the place. Both love and hate the place.

Back on thread,slip your suggestion makes some sense on one level as one problem has been the interconnection between the bus and train station.

The only other suggestion had been a former plan I think about a decade for a travelator from the two stations.

Last edited by heatonparkincakes; January 25th, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:10 PM   #96
flange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
says only NissanInfiniti and Big Yellow something are there - I've heard it from a source that Guy Salmon Landrover are also moving down there

I do think the traffic will be a nightmare getting on and off the site though
Land Rover are now confirmed to be opening at S:Park, a new planning applications has gone in for Phase 2 of S:Park.

Two new planning applications have gone in for S:Park, one for the new Land Rover & Range Rover showroom.

Quote:
S PARK DEVELOPMENT OFF TIVIOT WAY, PORTWOOD, STOCKPORT SK1 2AD

Proposed new Land Rover dealership including workshop, MOT facilities, showroom and associated offices.
http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/Pla...stemkey=111632

And another for the industrial units.

Quote:
FORMER THOMAS STOREY SITE, TIVIOT WAY, STOCKPORT, SK1 2AD

Erection of 11 industrial and warehousing units (B1, B2, B8) with associated service areas, access roads, car parking and landscaping (Amendment to planning permission DC040181)
http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/Pla...stemkey=112743

Unit A is pre let to Alan Howard and Unit 1 is pre let to Ossur.

Old November 25th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #97
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

cool - new location for my servicing ;-)
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #98
flange

Quote:
£11m boost for Crewe and Stockport stations

TWO major regional rail stations are set for major improvements after securing £11m funding.

Crewe station will receive £6.1m from the Government’s £100m rail stations improvement fund, while Stockport has £5m for a new 1,420-space car park by its main-line station.

The new car park at Stockport will be built next to the station and the leisure complex, Grand Central.

The Council bought the Grand Central site earlier this year to secure a high quality office quarter and attractive gateway to the town centre.

Cllr Dave Goddard, leader of Stockport Council, said: “Since taking the decision to buy Grand Central, we have been working tirelessly to make sure we get the best deal for the borough. We’re determined to unlock the site’s fantastic potential as a premier office and commuter destination.

“Part of that plan was to improve and expand the parking offer. This announcement is great news and will give us a significant head start with the redevelopment plans.

"It’s a prime spot, right next to the station, which sees three trains every hour to London. We want to make it even easier for residents, visitors and commuters to take advantage of our great transport links.”

Robin Gisby, managing director, network operations at Network Rail, added: “This is a fantastic example of the rail industry, local authorities and other organisations working together to improve the passenger experience without increasing the burden on the taxpayer.”

Discussions are currently underway with shortlisted developers to progress the 4.7 hectare Grand Central scheme which will include offices, parking and a hotel. A decision on the development partner will be announced by the end of the year.
http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/north...s_section=4148
Old December 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #99
flange

Quote:
Muse pips Orbit to Grand Central

9 Dec 2011, 10:49

Muse Developments has added Stockport to its growing list of major development locations that now includes Chester, Warrington, Blackpool, Manchester and Salford.

Muse beat Emerson subsidiary Orbit to the £140m Grand Central development opportunity with Stockport Council. A report will be presented to Stockport Council's executive on Friday 16 December recommending that Muse Developments be appointed as preferred development partner for the regeneration of the site.

The architect in the winning bid was RHWL, with whom Muse previously worked to deliver St Paul's Square in Liverpool through its English Cities Fund joint venture.

The Grand Central design envisages around 450,000 sq ft of offices in half-a-dozen buildings plus hotel and multi-storey car park.

Stockport Council bought the 10.4 acre site in January this year for £15m from Deloitte, administrator of Targetfollow Property Holdings, a subsidiary of Targetfollow Group.
Matt Crompton, joint managing director of Muse, said: "Grand Central is a true example of Muse's approach to development - which is based firmly on the principle of working in partnership with visionary authorities, unlocking the potential of strategically located landmark sites."

Cllr Dave Goddard, Liberal Democrat leader of Stockport Council, said: "We have been through a rigorous, fair and transparent process. The bids from Orbit and Muse both had great merits and I am grateful to both for their work on the submissions. The recommendation to the council's executive is that Muse be appointed as the council's proposed development partner for this key town centre regeneration scheme, and I believe this will receive strong support from across the council."

DTZ advises the council. Ken Bishop, director of DTZ, added: "Following the Competitive Dialogue process we were privileged to have two extremely good proposals from Muse and Orbit. This did, however, make the selection of the preferred developer very close but, despite the undoubted merits of Orbit's scheme, it was concluded that Muse edged the selection due to the overall quality of their scheme."

This year has also seen Cheshire West & Chester Council and Warrington Council appoint Muse on town centre developments. Muse is also active on Salford Central and Talbot Gateway in Blackpool, although a development at Manchester Victoria station is yet to come forward.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...d-central.html
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #100
pixel2006

Likes (Received): 0

From the Stockport Review

pixel2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote