daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18210

Flying the World : Hong Kong - London Heathrow

A very early morning departure for London. The flight was scheduled to leave for London at 0845 after flying in from Auckland. This route is reasonably new. Virgin, Qantas, and Air New Zealand started kangaroo flights via Hong Kong quite recently, and I thought it'd be interesting to give them a try. It was a beautiful day, and I was hoping to get some nice views upon takeoff. Plane spotting was pretty nice, with a variety of aircraft parked at HKIA.

Boarding was smooth although I waited until the end to get in line, maximizing my time plane spotting. I sat on the right side of the plane with a window, towards the back where it was a little roomier.

Air New Zealand's airshow had a very interesting feature ... satellite photos!

The plane taxied towards the west for an eastbound exit, which was what I hoped for. The views of Lantau and Hong Kong's skyline would be great!

Then we headed north and onwards to London!

Shenzhen's east side.

Not bad first meal.

Took a break for a bit as the plane went north, skirting the mountain edges. When I opened the blinds again, we were somewhere in NW China facing more arid areas.

Where nature wins ...

Airshow provides a number of different views of our flight path, and it's not just the typical map and line. You see the time zones, a bird's eye view, and a side view.

A nice salad and chicken dish for a second meal.

The clouds started to break up as we descended into London. I was hoping we could fly through central London into Heathrow, landing from the east. But I wouldn't be lucky twice that day. We skirted around the north, then turned and landed from the west instead.

Final approach ...

Heathrow is always a great spotting airport. I took some time after getting off the plane to take some pictures of that day's visitors, including a number of Air Canada aircraft in new colours.

Food - 7/10
The food tasted OK, but wasn't anything special in particular. Cathay had better food, but at the price I paid, I expected less. The flight was even cheaper than what Oasis offered.

Service - 8/10
The FAs were very nice people. They were based in London and were heading home on this long flight. However, they're a bit slow when serving meals. Nevertheless, they were there when I needed them.

Seats - 8/10
Nothing special with the seats in particular. The 747 looked old from the ceilings and furnishings, but the seats looked new and the cabin was likely refurbished. I sat in the back where it was a bit roomier, and the seat had pretty much the same functions as any other full service carrier. The extra room at the back deserved a higher rating.

Overall - 7.5/10
A long flight ... almost 13 hours ... with what looked like 100% loading in Economy Class.

Full flight report : http://www.globalphotos.org/hkg-lhr.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #2
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

On of the most beautifully put together flight reports I've seen. Love seeing American Airlines towards the end.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #3
y_nigel

Likes (Received): 0

Excellent trip report!

Very well done
y_nigel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #4
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

Oh oh oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a beautiful images!!!

The airplanes, the airports, so fantastic!!!!

Thanks for the pics!!!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #5
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

The satellite images was very cool, CX's map is so lame by comparison.

BTW, do you fly JAL, hkskyline? I remember flying with them and getting a plane cam which had a camera out of the plane so you can see the sky.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yes, I've flown JAL before and I did see a channel with the video images - I believe one on the belly and another in front.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #7
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

A lot of the new airplanes have installed those camera to cover blind spots from the cockpit. I believe the CX's A346 does have that cam option in with one in the front, one in the belly, and one at the tail.
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #8
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 557

thanks for sharing the journey with us! great job!
beanhead4529 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM   #9
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
A lot of the new airplanes have installed those camera to cover blind spots from the cockpit. I believe the CX's A346 does have that cam option in with one in the front, one in the belly, and one at the tail.
That sounds right. I did faintly recall seeing one of those cameras on my flight from JFK-HKG last year.

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #10
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By michaelchow810 from HKADB :

That's my girl! she is gonna bring me safely to LHR! B-HQB

Cathay's First Class!

Cathay's Business Class!

Let's taste this delicious, Cathay Delight!

Old November 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #11
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Flight Information
Flight Number: CX0255
Aircraft: B747-400
Captain: David
F.O.s : Ken & Eddy
S.O: Glen
Distance Travlled: 5557nm
ZFW: 236T
Fuel on board: 149T

Two weeks before departure, I thought to myself, I must get onto a B74A and try out the new CX seats. Therefore, I rang up my agent and asked her to changed my original flight, CX251 (31st August) to this CX255 (1st Sept). I was desperately hoping that it would be this HOT lady again. I remember I flew her last xmas too.

Last time was really a pleasure flying HOT. I think in CX's fleet, HOT is really one amazing work horse that hasn't had much bad stuff happened to it.

The day of departure, I checked again to see whether there were any aircraft changes. At this moment, things were looking great. But my hopes weren't that high. I didnt want to feel too disappoint if I miss out on HOT unless I see it parked right at my boarding gate.

On Check-in, I asked the counter duty officer whether she can upgrade me onto the new J using my Asia miles. I signed up a document, and was placed into the standby list. If I don't get it, I'm still good, I could try out the new EY, which was a very excited moment back then.

I went through the security, with no problems at all. The process was extremely smooth and short. Only took me ~5mins max. Unlike London Heathrow which normally takes 1-2 hours. Quite annoying...

My boarding gate was stand E3, which wasn't far away at all and there she was.... she was so HOT!!

Gate 3 was not ready for boarding yet... so therefore I went to the lounge.

(The Pier, Cathay's Business Lounge) I sat down in the lounge and had a few drinks, which was very relaxing and of course very comfortable.

I also used their computers to check some of emails.

I don't know why, but I really like this angle.. looking down at the Passengers.

As soon as I finished my drink, I went down to visit the Game zone, which I quickly skipped pass last time. Once again, I didnt play on any of the games, I just thought the lightings were pretty nice. Took some photos here.

Then I sat down in the lounge again, reading some of my university stuff. The atomsphere in this lounge, which was located in the middle floor, was very calm, very relaxing. A great place to enjoy a glass of wine.

Then I boarded the flight CX255 from Hong Kong to London Heathrow. I found out at this stage that my upgrade request was unsuccessful. I was not disapointed though, because I was looking forward very much in testing out the new EY.
I found my seat, 36A, the seat felt more spacious than the old seat. I sat down and tried to strectch out my legs... Amazingly, I can fully stretch my legs. The leg room was huge! (I'm 1.78m tall) I think the new design has really improved the cramped legs problems.
Then I tested out the sliding seats, which once again was quite impressive. It felt great that knowing you can enjoy yourself with a more reclined seat without causing any problems to the passenger behind you. I thought this was really a great design.

Obviously, the next thing was testing out was the PTV. (new AVOD installed!!). For some strange reason, all PTVs were not functioning.. normally Airshow would be played on ground. Instead, the PTVs were flashing.. which made me think that the IFE system broke down. However, that was not the case, infact, it was the Airshow being upgraded into the 3-D version, therefore was not avaliable for useage on this flight.

Departure Information
Airport: VHHH/HKG
Parking bay: E3
Runway: 07L
SID: ATENA1C departure
Flats: 20
V1: 138
VR: 168
V2: 178
Taxiways: H9, J, V, B, A1, 07L
Restrictions: Cross BEKOL at 3600M or above.

After airborne, The PTV finally came alive!!!
and here is the main page of the CX's new AVOD.

Arrival Information
Airport: EGLL/LHR
Alternate: EGKK
Runway: ILS 27R
STAR: LAM3A arrival
Vref: 141 knots
Landing Weight: 251
Parking Bay: Stand 336

It was sunrise in United Kingdom when we were assigned the LAM3A arrival into London Heathrow. Unfortunately, due to their Noise Abatement restrictions, (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), we weren't allowed to land before 6am local time. Therefore we were put into a hold for more than 20mins.

And here we are landed at London Heathrow, the landing was extremely soft which was controlled by the Captain. Very soft touch. Really was impressed, compared with the previous hard-landings which I've experienced on the Airbus (I guess it was because of the cushion effect from the B744).

And Straight Away, I spotted our company's B744, B-HUF. (I think) which was flying CX251, landed probably 30mins before us.

Heathrow was waking up, with the sun rising, planes were arriving on both runways. (you should be able to see the two lights landing on 27R and 27L respectively)

As the HOT lady arrived safely was onto bay. Passengers were one-by-one unboarding HOT. And there I was still siting down in seat 36A. Waiting patiently for my Cockpit visit. Then Senior Purser Cris waved at me, and took me up the stairs.

The upper deck was really did have a unique flying experience. The J seats were nicely placed, one-by-one down the aisle. Then I meet the First Officer, Eddy. He was a chinese which was also extremely friendly. He took me the the Cockpit and I chatted with the Captain for a good 5 or 10 minutes.

After chatting to the Captain, I headed back down the stairs where all the Crews were shouting...'After landing checks'. At this moment, I asked FP Olivia whether I can visit the new J and new F on the lower deck and the nose.

Here's a Picture of the new J class. Which was built perfect for a long haul flight like this. I would definitely want to try it when I fly Cathay again.

And here's a picture of the new First Class; I sat down the seat and Oh my lord. It was awesome. The seat was so comfortable. I was literally playing around for a good few minutes, pressing the buttons, before the door shuts at me. I was for sure the last passenger to get out of the plane.

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #12
LT1550

Likes (Received): 2

What does this town "Freiburg an der Elbe" in the circle stand for? I have seen these information on several flights but could never understand, why they exactly highlight such unimportant places.... !?
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1550 View Post

What does this town "Freiburg an der Elbe" in the circle stand for? I have seen these information on several flights but could never understand, why they exactly highlight such unimportant places.... !?
Some of the locations on those airshow maps may not be large urban centres. For example, I consistently see Aberdeen shown on Hong Kong Island, but it's just a small district.

I believe Freiburg an der Elbe is actually a place perhaps on the Elbe River?

Old November 17th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #14
hkskyline
Hong Kong

CX251 is a flight where I, personally, could not resist of sleeping through it.
It departs late, arrives early.. a flight which I slept through all the way!
Therefore, this is the reason why there are a lack of photos for this report. Sorry!

Let's start off with some information about this flight.

Flight Information

Date: 05 Jan 2007
Route: VHHH/EGLL
Flight Number: CPA251
Aircraft: B747-400
Captain: Dan Finolay
First Officers: Phil Borg & Matt Granger
Second Officers: Ken Cheng
Block Time: 12 hr 47 min
POB (Crew/Pax): 23 / 382
Distance Travelled: 5598nm
ZFW: 236.9T

After checking in, I entered the departure hall, found myself lucky not having to walk a long way to find my HOT lady because she is parked at GATE 1.

I was fortunate to have been upgraded into Silver Macro Polo member this summer. Therefore I get the chance to visit the Lounge before departure once again. This time, it is the Wing!

Unforunately, I don't have much time left to go to play on the Arcade games, and plus to be honest, I rather get on the flight quicker! (that's what I love the most)

Here are the departure information for flight CX251.

Departure Information

Airport: VHHH
Parking Bay: E1
Runway: 07R
S.I.D: ATENA 1A
Fuel load: 153.3T
V1: 143
VR: 170
V2: 180

When I woke up, dinner was already over.
Luckily, the cabin crew was very nice. She reheated the dinner for me! Very Happy

Then obviously, I fell back asleep.. didnt watch any movies.
I think I must have slept for 8 hrs non-stop...
coz it's breakfast time already!

After breakfast, a really strange thing happened!
I was given a questionnaire to fill in by the Cabin Crew..
No one else has got given one but me.. WHY?
I have no idea!

Here are the Crusing Information

Crusing Information
Fuel Burnt (In total): 139.3 T
Crusie Levels: FL315, FL348, FL360 and final FL380

Whilst filling in the questionnaire, I realised I was in Netherlands already!
(i.e. Almost London)!

Well, we are almost there, let's check out the Arrival Information.

Arrival Information

Airport: EGLL
Runway: 27R
Parking Bay: 336
Vapproach: 148
Vref: 143
Landing Weight: 249.9 T
S.T.A.R: LAM 3A
Alternate: EGKK (London Gatwick)

and I found my hall, the place I am currently living in!

And here we are, parked at Stand 336 @ LHR. Dark, Cold, lonely...

Old September 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #15
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By wilsonsin from a Hong Kong discussion forum :

Old September 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #16
daloso

Likes (Received): 562

Wow nice trip report!!
daloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #17
daloso

Likes (Received): 562

I'll be waiting for your trip report when you travel in an airbus A380,that'll be a fantastic trip report!!greetings from Honduras!

Last edited by daloso; September 14th, 2008 at 05:34 AM.
daloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #18
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By ATE22 from a Hong Kong discussion forum :

日期:2008年9月22日
航班編號:CX255
機型:B747-467
起飛地:香港國際機場 (HKG)
目的地:倫敦希斯路機場 (LHR)
香港起飛時間:0110
到達倫敦時間:0535

Old November 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #19
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Beautiful pics in this thread. But there are just too much of them. My computer can hardly handle it
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By A340-300 from HKADB :