daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #1
hudkina

Likes (Received): 106

Detroit: The easy target for your subtle anti-American sentiments!

Here she is. The city that makes it so easy for you to secretly take pleasure in the decline of the American Empire.

All images are from the city's Southwest Side home to Detroit's largest hispanic population.

A view of the skyline from four miles southwest of downtown:

St. Anne's is home to the second oldest Catholic Parish in the United States, established in 1701.

A lot of people on this forum have the idea that Detroit doesn't have any grocery stores...

New in-fill housing is springing up all over the neighborhood. They aren't as nice as their older brothers and sisters, but they do the job.

A few of the aforementioned older brothers and sisters:

Though some middle-class neighborhoods exist, most of the homes in Southwest Detroit were built for working-class residents.

A mixture of old and new:

While many neighborhoods in Detroit are somewhat lacking in local retail options, Southwest Detroit has a strong commercial district.

Many of the shops are owned and operated by the local hispanic population:

A few more of those imaginary grocery stores:

You can paint over them if you want, but they'll probably be back sooner or later...

Nobody told the people behind these renovations that Detroit is a lost cause.

Southwest Detroit has tons of "corner-stores". Some are party stores, some are bars, and a few are apparently local chapters of various organizations.

An old firestation

Southwest Detroit (and Detroit in general) is famous for the amount of beautiful historic churches throughout.

More views of the residential streets:

And more views of the commercial streets:

Yet another church.

And to end the tour, an old friend with new neighbors:
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #2
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Surely an indication America is an evil, vicious, cold-hearted and wasteful empire.
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Ian
Mariano

Likes (Received): 564

Don't worry, OMH is in the brig ... and besides we have much better targets than Detroit!!
Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12280

Point taken, hudkina... it gets depressing when all people want to see of Detroit is the bad pictures... thanks for posting these more positive ones!
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #5
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4264

Quite shocking , thanks for sharing.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

Quite frankly, it's not about how it looks. It's about safety, danger and crime. These houses and beautiful churches are prettier then most neighboorhoods in Toronto, Montreal, etc... and every city has slums and ghettos and ugly places (except maybe in Switzerland). But the couple of times I've been to Detroit have revealed a whole lot more. Buying chocolate bars behind a foot of bulletproof plexiglass, being held up at gunpoint downtown near the state theatre, etc... Note the high fencing in front of the houses in the photos. These are not experiences that poeple remember fondly. As for the American Empire, I think the whole "decline" thing is a lot of B.S., lots of Americans are doing just great. Some areas of Detroit are actually doing really great. The distribution of wealth is probably a bit more the real issue though. Just an opinion...
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #7
archy_

How different is Detroit if you compare it to its neigbour city Windsor Ontario!
archy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #8
hudkina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
Quite frankly, it's not about how it looks. It's about safety, danger and crime.
Southwest Detroit as a whole has a lower crime rate than any other "inner-city" neighborhood in Detroit. That's not to say that crime doesn't exist, but you can walk around anywhere in Southwest Detroit and not have a problem.

Hell, when I took these pictures, school was just getting out and the streets were filled with children walking home from school. Many were younger kids walking by themselves. I didn't snap many pictures of them for obvious reasons, but this is very typical of the neighborhood activity:

Also, those fences were put up in a much different era for Southwest Detroit. In the 80's and early 90's (at the height of the drug epidemic) crime was much higher in Southwest Detroit. Today drug-related crime is down quite a bit in the neighborhood. If you notice, all of the newer housing doesn't have fencing:

And as far as plexiglass is concerned, it's up to the individual owner, but most of the places I've been to in Southwest Detroit didn't have plexiglass.
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #9
shivtim

Likes (Received): 64

nice pics! Thanks for posting.
shivtim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #10
cheesy bob

Likes (Received): 1

They should let in more immigrants but under the condition that they go to live in the central city areas that need more people to move into them
cheesy bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #11
illmatic774
Midwest, young n restless

This is where I spent a lot of my childhood. Best neighborhood in Detroit, even when crime was a real problem (i don't believe it is now).

Only Hamtramck can compete with Detroit in terms of streetlife and a sense of community; granted, these neighborhoods are on the poorer side, but they are still great places to live.
illmatic774 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #12
aliendroid

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond James Bond View Post
Surely an indication America is an evil, vicious, cold-hearted and wasteful empire.
I've known a lot of canadian and european recent immigrants in my life and none of them wanted to go home ever.

The fact is the USA is well known around the world for charity as well, but the anti-american attitude is pretty bad, mainly amongst ignorant people.
aliendroid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #13
aliendroid

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral Builder View Post
Quite frankly, it's not about how it looks. It's about safety, danger and crime. These houses and beautiful churches are prettier then most neighboorhoods in Toronto, Montreal, etc... and every city has slums and ghettos and ugly places (except maybe in Switzerland). But the couple of times I've been to Detroit have revealed a whole lot more. Buying chocolate bars behind a foot of bulletproof plexiglass, being held up at gunpoint downtown near the state theatre, etc... Note the high fencing in front of the houses in the photos. These are not experiences that poeple remember fondly. As for the American Empire, I think the whole "decline" thing is a lot of B.S., lots of Americans are doing just great. Some areas of Detroit are actually doing really great. The distribution of wealth is probably a bit more the real issue though. Just an opinion...
It's not just distribution of wealth, I've known rich kids who think they are gangsters. There are some places that are dangerous because some people think it's cool to be bad. It's been part of the culture for a while, the cowboys and wild west where robbers and criminals were made famous. A lot of our movie heros are criminals. It's only a small part of the complex american culture but I think it helps increase crime rates.
aliendroid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #14
herodotus
Suspended

Likes (Received): 1

Excellent points made.
herodotus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #15
Coral Builder

Point taken, nothing worse then a yuppie gangster.. That's the shiznit!!
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #16
hudkina

I don't think Detroit has a "yuppie gangster" problem. Most of the people who dress like that are low-income. And I think most suburbanites don't find that lifestyle to be particularly appealing.

Though I do think it is funny that some people in places like San Diego or Seattle imitate that style.
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #17
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

Likes (Received): 4

Could you post some more photos of commercial districts?
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #18
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

How can this be a 'proper' city? The buildings aren't an average of four or more stories?
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #19
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2850

very nice hudkina!
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #20
hudkina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
How can this be a 'proper' city? The buildings aren't an average of four or more stories?
Is this better?

Quote:
Could you post some more photos of commercial districts?
Here are a few pics of Warren Rd through the Warrendale area:

If you didn't notice Warren Rd through Dearborn and Warrendale is the epicenter of middle eastern culture in the United States.