daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #201
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

They just have to be careful, and that's it IMO.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #202
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

I would say that the driver in the outside lane should yield, for two reasons:

First, and more importantly, it will allow traffic to flow smoothly by clearing the inside lane for overtaking traffic.

Second, the driver in the inside lane is probably driving faster than the driver in the outside lane, and so should be permitted to travel in front so that the driver in the outside lane may change lanes behind him/her.

However, in the event that one of the two lanes is about to end, traffic in that lane should have right of way.

This is just my personal view; I do not know what the law says about this matter.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #203
Verso
Islander

There's a logic in your post. I'd also mention it's easier to watch the traffic on the driver's side of the car, so you should have priority, if you go to the other side (if you move right in a left-wheel car or left in a right-wheel car).
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #204
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

No, I disagree. Assuming this happened in a country that drives to the right, then the general rule must be that the car to the left give right of way to the car coming from the right. However, I would think that an insurance company would consider both drivers at fault in this instance.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #205
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Normal narrowings consist of one lane merging into the other, not two merging into one at the same time.

In that case, the one who's moving sideways is doing a manoeuvre, and is hence responsible.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #206
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
No, I disagree. Assuming this happened in a country that drives to the right, then the general rule must be that the car to the left give right of way to the car coming from the right. However, I would think that an insurance company would consider both drivers at fault in this instance.
But a driver on the left doesn't see as well as a driver on the right.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #207
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Normal narrowings consist of one lane merging into the other, not two merging into one at the same time.

In that case, the one who's moving sideways is doing a manoeuvre, and is hence responsible.
We're not talking about narrowings, but a 6-lane highway (3 lanes per direction), where two parallel-driving cars (one in the leftmost-, the other on the rightmost lane) decide to move on the inner lane at the same time. But I agree with Morsue, I think an insurance company would consider both drivers at fault.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #208
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Ah I see, I didn't get the question then..

I was wondering about this myself too a while ago.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #209
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

In Poland there's a simple rule in Highway Code (article 22 section 4):

The driver, changing lane, is obliged to give right of way to vehicles driving on lane, which is seeking to enter and vehicles coming from the right.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #210
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i'd say that outer one (in slower lane, so right in right-driving countries) has priority. firstly - we could adjust rule of right side. and secondly - it is similar as when somebody is trying to enter the motorway from accelerating lane and in normal occasions you move to left lane to let him enter the motorway without problems.
Old February 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #211
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaciej7 View Post
In Poland there's a simple rule in Highway Code (article 22 section 4):
Rules? In Poland?
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #212
Morsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
But a driver on the left doesn't see as well as a driver on the right.
Even more reason for the driver to the left to be more cautious.
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #213
Verso
Islander

Priority is always given to the one that sees worse. I also move away when I see a blind person.
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #214
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I also move away when I see a blind person.
Driving a car?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #215
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

I think Verso was referring to this reckless, attentionless, "I don't give a damn" attitude type of drivers
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #216
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Driving a car?
No no, on foot. Isn't it logical that priority is given to the one that sees worse?
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #217
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

Considering this is in a Left side of the road country like the UK:

On any multi-lane road, unless there's a large junction with directions for specific lanes coming up, then every lane apart from the slowest (left lane) are to be used for overtaking. The car in the fast lane should have therefore returned to the slow lane once the way is clear. In terms of priority, it depends on the reason the car in the slow lane enters the middle one. If it is to overtake another vehicle in the slow lane, then it should do so and have priority over the car in the fast lane, which must stay there until the overtaking car has returned to the slow lane. It can then overtake in the middle lane or return to the slow lane behind the other car.

In any case, cars shouldn't use the middle and fast lanes for just normal driving. If the slow car was to move to the middle lane just for the sake of it, it would not have priority, since the car in the fast lane has to return to the slow lane as soon as possible.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:03 AM   #218
Morsue

I think Exethalion's explanation makes most sense.
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #219
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I actually think that in practice, Verso's initial response makes the most sense. It is easy to write such priority rules on paper, but in certain driving situations, especially at motorway speeds, the rules are often not strictly followed.

So in my opinion the safest thing (good) drivers should do is look very carefully in the mirrors and blind spots and only make the lane change when it's absolutely safe, while continuing to observe during the lane change (on busier motorways especially) to make sure that this situation doesn't happen.

I've had situations where I started a lane change and someone else did the same thing. I'm not totally sure who was "breaking" the various logical rules in that instant, but luckily I noticed the situation before it led to an accident and simply aborted my lane change.

In fact, sometimes the traffic on Highway 401 in Toronto gets extremely heavy and people constantly change lanes to move between the express, collector, and to exit/enter the motorway. You end up with a complex weaving-like situation where no simple rule can quite work. So drivers are just careful (usually), look well and signal well before the lane change. Although I agree that a rule can work better on a quiet 3x3 motorway in a rural setting, but in that case people usually stick to the right anyway.

In fact, when you do your second driver's exam in Ontario, which involves motorway driving, you are usually advised to only change lanes when the lane into which you are changing AND the lane following it are both clear, to avoid such situations. You can get points on the exam for changing your lane like this.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #220
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 646

That might be the case if this were a multi lane non-motorway road. But on motorways, distinct rules apply as to the usage of lanes, and these extend into the practice of entering and leaving lanes. Officially, the priority should be given to the driver who would be using the middle lane for its proper function, to overtake cars in the slow lane before returning to the slow lane.

But yes, Verso makes sense. In practice, the priority would depend on the context of the situation. for example, a HGV in the fast lane would most likely have priority over a car in the slow lane.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, parking