daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #301
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Could it be the heavy traffic that makes it difficult for cars on the left lane to move over?
Often this is the real reason. Many people are not good at handling lane changing, so they stick on one lane (left), because for them even 1 km between two trucks on right lane is not enough. I use cruise control (except in very heavy traffic) and always return onto right lane even if there is just 100 m or 200 m between two vehicles.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #302
crcorp

Likes (Received): 0

It really changes a lot from country to country. I'm originally from the Netherlands and learned driving there. In most cases, Dutch drivers do obey the rule of sticking to the right if possible quite well.

Since a few years I'm living in Paris and I must say, things are really different :p. Every morning when I enter the A4 highway (coming from the Voie Georges Pompidou), I pull over to the right directly, traversing 3 lanes (the highway is 5 lanes wide here). There is usually very little traffic here in the morning, but the enormous amount of people who stick to the left (and annoy each other with flashing lights and so on) is just amazing. I generally overtake the whole lot via the right (officially forbidden), but a safe operation because there is always at least one lane left from me which is empty...

Overtaking by the right is quite usual in the Paris metropolitan area. Personally, it doesn't disturb that much. But there is one very important thing that is often forgotten (or perhaps intentionally not done to scare off other drivers) and this is: indicating direction!

I always indicate my direction, even if the circumstances are clear where I want to go. In France many people don't do this. It's dangerous and it sometimes really scares the hell out of me. The person doing this who is going to drive in front of me can count on a large series of flash-lights. Police should remove these people from the roads.

Finally, concerning your question of indicating the exit of the motorway, I'm not aware of any minimum distance that should be taken into account. Perhaps it's a specific rule for Germany to start doing so at the 300m sign. Anyway, in the NL and also in France and Belgium, you don't have distance signs for the exits (at least not the 300/200/100 signs used in Germany). Also an important point to take into account here is that it is in the NL forbidden to break before you are on the exit lane, I think this is also a specific rule, for if you put this rule into practice in Belgium (and also certain cases in France) you'll end up dead :p.
crcorp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #303
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Since Estonia has only a bit more than 100km of dual carriegeways, it's difficult to bring out a clear rule. I'd say that the situation is pretty normal. Of course there are some fellows who think that the left lane belongs to them but most of the people just follow the law: you can only use the left lane when the right one is occupied. By the way, it's not forbidden to overtake on the right on dual carriegeways in Estonia.

About the braking and turning signals: In Estonia there's simply a rule that you have to turn on your turning indicator at least 3 seconds before the manouver. That applies everywhere. It's also said that you shouldn't brake before the turning indicator is on. That way everybody can understand your reason for braking.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #304
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

In Portugal it's surprisingly a 5 or so, it's quite good. In the UK it's a 3, drivers normally keep the the laws but alot of the time they just stay permanently on the same lane and undertake alot, especially on the M25.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #305
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

None of the videos were done by me

Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #306
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

In America it is a major problem whether there are 2, 3, 4, 5 lanes. Example, lets say there are 3 lanes in one direction (6 total), most drivers hang in the middle. That poses a problem for people like me (I am a truck driver) who have truck lane restrictions. When there are vehicles hanging out in a middle lane right next to me/us MOST of the time passing us at an EXTREMELY slow rate is dangerous and an annoyance, especially when we NEED to move over for something, such as a shoulder/breakdown lane blockage, or someone entering the roadway (the latter has forced us to just basically not anyone on the freeway anymore) (also peoples behavior that if I do let someone merge onto the freeway, they then continue to pass on the right, this also makes me just stay in the right lane and NOT let anyone merge onto the freeway).

Sure maybe I should turn on the turn signal to let someone know who is right next to me that i want/need to move over. Well unfortunately 95 percent of other drivers out here ignore anyone elses turn signal now.

Now with 4 lanes or more going in one direction, you can find 4-wheelers hogging the 2 left lanes.

Drivers have become affraid of the right side.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #307
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

interesting about trucks, I didn't think that way yet.

You often see trucks hang in the 2nd lane from the right as well... Probably because of the very reason you stated that it is impossible to move to the left lane if a slower vehicle wants to merge from a ramp.

In Europe, the speed differences between a truck and other traffic is much bigger in free-flow situations, usually at least 20 mph difference. This means the trucker doesn't have the same vehicle moving next to him at the exact same speed all the time, but can use gaps in traffic to move over.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #308
Dahlis

Likes (Received): 107

In sweden people mostly stick to rules and stay to the right. I can understand why they dont do that in germany though, last time I drove on the autobahn I noticed that the right lane was completely ruined in many places. To much trucks and poor quality asphalt i guess.
Dahlis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #309
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcorp View Post
In most cases, Dutch drivers do obey the rule of sticking to the right if possible quite well.
You've got to be joking? Loads of people here don't give a sh*t about people who want to drive faster, even if those people drive within the speed limit. Also, lots of people refuse to use rushhourlanes when they're opened.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #310
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlis View Post
In sweden people mostly stick to rules and stay to the right. I can understand why they dont do that in germany though, last time I drove on the autobahn I noticed that the right lane was completely ruined in many places. To much trucks and poor quality asphalt i guess.
yeah, lots of trucks using the right lane.

2 vids.

Beginning of the rush hour, yet not so much traffic. SAFTEY DISTANCE everybody?

cool time lapse of 2000 k Autobahn trough germany in 10 minutes
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #311
crcorp

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
You've got to be joking? Loads of people here don't give a sh*t about people who want to drive faster, even if those people drive within the speed limit. Also, lots of people refuse to use rushhourlanes when they're opened.
Hmmm that's not the impression I have when I drive in the NL. Perhaps it also differs from one place to another. Perhaps driving in the Randstad area will be different from the rest of the country (for I never drive there, so I don't know about that one).

Anyway, it cannot be worse than here...

The problem of people hanging out on the middle lane is also an annoying problem on the french A1 highway (Lille-Paris 3 lanes full length). I take that highway regularly and I must almost continuously overtake these by crossing two lanes to the left and then two lanes to the right back again...
Even if there is almost no traffic at all, people just keep driving in the middle of the road
crcorp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #312
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What is annoying about the Dutch is that a lot of people are slowing down to like 100 km/h when passing a truck, and then speed up to 120 km/h again. If traffic is busy, this easily leads to long 90 km/h queues to pass one or a few trucks. Once it took me 10 minutes to pass a few trucks because people slowed down to 90 - 100 which means the flow further upstream gets interrupted and may fall to 70 km/h at times before picking up to 100 - 110 again.
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #313
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is annoying about the Dutch is that a lot of people are slowing down to like 100 km/h when passing a truck, and then speed up to 120 km/h again. If traffic is busy, this easily leads to long 90 km/h queues to pass one or a few trucks. Once it took me 10 minutes to pass a few trucks because people slowed down to 90 - 100 which means the flow further upstream gets interrupted and may fall to 70 km/h at times before picking up to 100 - 110 again.
why do they do that? doesn't sound logic to me.
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #314
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mabuse View Post
why do they do that? doesn't sound logic to me.
trucks are wide and some people feel unsecure while they have narrower space to drive (what happens when they overtake a truck). that feeling differs from man to man. if you had somewhen driven very fast (i mean really fast, 200km/h +), you know how it feels to overtake a car on that speed, you feel lane so narrow and expect overtaken car each moment to turn in front of you. probably some people get that feeling at much lower speeds. jsut an driving psychology.
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #315
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You often see trucks hang in the 2nd lane from the right as well... Probably because of the very reason you stated that it is impossible to move to the left lane if a slower vehicle wants to merge from a ramp.
On some freeways in Ontario (e.g. Highway 400) we have some old arched bridges that may be too low above the right-most and left-most lanes. On such highways, trucks are often advised to drive in the middle lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlis View Post
We also have this problem here, although mainly on city streets, not motorways (which is why I often drive in the middle lane in the city, even when the right lane is free).
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #316
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

In Italy, something that happens often is this: take a busy (but free flowing) motorway, full of trucks on the left lane who cannot overtake one another (this kind of regulation is quite common, more than 900km of 2-lane freeways have wide restrictions (like weekdays, 6h-20h) for trucks using the left lane.

Then, if the region is not hilly (for instance, the A14 Bologna-Taranto), trucks will form "blocks" of 4, 5, sometimes more trucks behind one that is slightly slower than their 90 km/h speed limit. Cars start using only the left lane because they will be driving at a constant 110-125 km/h range (limit 130). So, even when there is no truck on sight, car drivers often keep using only the left lane, because if 2 km later on you are on the right lane behind a truck on a busy period, you'll have difficulties merging on the "fast" left lane again.

This behavior is replicated in 4-lanes-per-direction highways like A4 Milano-Bergamo and A1 Modena-Bologna. Fortunately, in Italy it is allowed for cars to pass other cars on the right on free flowing situation, IF the carriageway has more than 3 lanes AND the overtaker is not using the rightmost outer lane. So I usually stick to the 2nd lane and have a mucho more enjoyable driving, particularly on weekends when trucks are banned.

Last edited by Suburbanist; March 29th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #317
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

Then, if the region is not hilly (for instance, the A14 Bologna-Taranto), trucks will form "blocks" of 4, 5, sometimes more trucks behind one that is slightly slower than their 90 km/h speed limit. Cars start using only the left lane because they will be driving at a constant 110-125 km/h range (limit 130). So, even when there is no truck on sight, car drivers often keep using only the left lane, because if 2 km later on you are on the right lane behind a truck on a busy period, you'll have difficulties merging on the "fast" left lane again.
this happens because on motorways truck driver allways drive with cruise control turned on and set on 85 km/h. it makes driving comfortable to them and their consumption falls.
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #318
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
this happens because on motorways truck driver allways drive with cruise control turned on and set on 85 km/h. it makes driving comfortable to them and their consumption falls.
I didn't know trucks have cruise control too.
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #319
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep. More and more trucks have automatic gearboxes as well.
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #320
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I didn't know trucks have cruise control too.
actually, i'm not sure if you could buy a truck without it in last 10-15 years (of course, i'm talking about trucks for pulling 13,6 m trailers or 7+8 tandems)

Tags
highways, parking