daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #321
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep. More and more trucks have automatic gearboxes as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
actually, i'm not sure if you could buy a truck without it in last 10-15 years (of course, i'm talking about trucks for pulling 13,6 m trailers or 7+8 tandems)
Cool, my grandfather was a trucker (now retired, 90 years old), but he never told me about such features in his trucks.

In regard of automatic gearboxes: don't they increase consumption in trucks like they are argued to do in cars?

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19372

Quote:
In regard of automatic gearboxes: don't they increase consumption in trucks like they are argued to do in cars?
I believe that's mostly an issue of the past in automatic gearboxes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #323
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 510

New automatic gearboxes in trucks and coaches are full eco and fuel friendly. They have special in-between gear to reduce forces between shifts and make acceleration smoothly and more efficient.
Also cruise control is really common in these time. BTW, I really like using this

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #324
piotr71

Quote:
actually, i'm not sure if you could buy a truck without it in last 10-15 years (of course, i'm talking about trucks for pulling 13,6 m trailers or 7+8 tandems)
Let me add something. Not only tractor units have cruise control. Even smaller rigid body lorries are mostly equipped wit this device. I drove several different trucks( from 7.5t >)and all built after 2002 let you have a pleasure to use cruise control.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #325
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

talking about the trucks, have you guys tried to drive them? i drove Volvo FH12 460, Scania R420 and DAF XF95.430. i couldn't get Scania's gearbox on the other hand, Volvo was really pleasure to drive
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #326
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

FYI;

Trucks have cruise control. However, speed is dictated by the company we drive for. In other words, a lot of our trucks are governed.

Trucks are available in both manual and automatic. There are even many transmissions that are semi-automatic which provide features of locking into a gear...and other features that I can't remember because these semi-automatic transmissions are confusing.

mine is 10 speed manual Freightliner Century. I have heard a lot of problems about Volvos' here in America, but this is now off topic.
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #327
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mabuse View Post
flashing light is strictly forbidden.
Nah, it's not (in Germany). §5 (5) StVO allows flashing lights to announce an overtake attempt. It's driving close up to the one you want to move and then flashing lights that's forbidden - and even then most courts will only do you in if you keep doing it for a couple hundred meters.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #328
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Previously I've talked about trucks that travel in blocks on the right lane. Now, I've other issue that is very common in Italy.

Some people get very powerful sport cars or alike, and then take them to the freeways. Without discussing the issue or overspeeding, speed limits etc., I usually yield to whoever is trying to overtake me on the leftmost lane - just a matter of highway courtesy.

However, sometimes freeways are busy, but running fast (>100 km/h). By busy I mean that they have fully occupied lanes and small extra space to wander between lanes without necessity etc. In this situations, where one can easily see a long queue of cars travelling at the same speed, it is pretty much useless try to overtake.

Yet, some stupid top-car drivers feel somehow entitled to get a free pass. They tailgate on you, they flash at you, they even honk at you, regardless of the fact that in front of you there are not empty space they can speed on, but another car for them to repeat such harassment.

I find this to be one of the most disgusting manifestations of road rage. Such drivers will keep putting pressure so people "yield" at them crowding the right lane for them to "make a way" through a steady flow of cars running at 80-100 km/h. It's not the couple second the maneuver cost me that bothers me, but their arrogant attitude like "hey, I've spend € 200.000 to buy this car, so get out of my way".
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #329
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

People around here generally stick to the right when it comes to highway travel; it's on collector and main roads that people tend to drive wherever they want.

On an urban 2x2 section of road that's 60-70kmph (where most can get away with 80) people tend to camp the left lane by going the speed limit, or even ten below. When people do this, it can take several kilometres just to get past them. When two cars are going 60kmph side-by-side where people want to do 70-80, it can get very annoying.

I've noticed one thing that Nova Scotians are notorious: they will drive in the lane they'll need to be in 20km away. They'll turn onto the collector and move into the left lane because they'll be turning left at an intersection 20km away. It's like they're afraid of changing lanes, so they avoid it altogether and don't care how slow they're going in what's supposed to be a passing lane.

It also works the other way round; people will hang out in the right lane and would prefer to sit in backed up traffic for a kilometre or two just so they can avoid merging from the left to access a right access ramp. Perfect example of this:

This if from one of my older videos, with my first car . Jump to 6:10 and watch until the end to see what I'm talking about. All that backed up traffic is heading for the access ramp I merge onto. Most of those cars I passed will have to sit through two or three changes of that light... I don't understand people sometimes, I really don't.

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #330
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
talking about the trucks, have you guys tried to drive them? i drove Volvo FH12 460, Scania R420 and DAF XF95.430. i couldn't get Scania's gearbox on the other hand, Volvo was really pleasure to drive
Most trucks with more than 8 gears have 2 extra devices for splitting gears. Mostly a low/high gearing and a extra splitter. That means that you can get 16 gears forward (and 4 backwards) where you normally would have only 4 gears. I drove a MAN some time ago which was set like this, I loved this transmission. Scania with 12-gears is quite tricky indeed, since the location of the gears is quite weird (1st/4th gear right up, instead of center up).

I defenately prefer manual over automatic gearbox by the way. It makes driving so much more fun.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, parking