daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #41
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
I never realized the Dutch situation was that bad, it sounds like the US. I was always under the impression that NL had an excellent rail/mass transit system.
I think maybe it's as bad as Los Angeles traffic. We do have an excellent road quality, but many motorways are only 2x2 lanes. 2x3 is already rare, not to mention more lanes.

Our rail system is also extensive (more rail miles as motorway miles), however it's very busy and crowded in rushhours.

Most rural towns completely commute to the nearby larger city, creating heavy traffic flows. If you drive 10km on a provincial road, you'll pass like 5 small towns, but which all commute to the larger cities. Hence the traffic jams.

Quote:
and why don't they think of improving the infraestructure (both for public and private traffic)?
There's no money, or they don't want to put money aside for efficent projects, only for megalomanic rail projects with few or no effect to traffic jams or overcrowded trains.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #42
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6389

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
You work in Tivoli? Are you the guy that sells the polsers?
No

The arrows are just to indicate the overall route... I work around 200m southeast of Tivoli
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #43
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
Ouch, I have forgotten they are politicians. It's better for them to increase the taxes than to manage better the current funds.
A big problem is also the huge power of environmental organisations, here. They can practicly block every big project...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #44
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
that's quite a commute. Isn't a car faster/cheaper? I can drive 24.000 km or 15.000 miles for that amount of money. (fuel only).
Fuel only it would be about the same price but I would have to buy a second car (girlfriend uses our one car for work) so it would not be fuel only cost but also depreciation, servicing costs, parking, insurance etc which would make it much more expensive.

As the annual distance is around 27,000 Kms, the price of Ł1,450 is not too bad I think, I know people who travel similar distances into London and they pay double for their tickets.

In terms of time, with light traffic (ie sunday afternoon), you can be in Birmingham centre in just under 1 hour from my house so that would be quicker but during the weekday peak, you can be looking at 2 hours plus unless you get into the city before 0715 at the latest.

Also I can read or sleep on the train which I couldn't do in a car!!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #45
Joshapd
....okay?!?!?

Likes (Received): 1

My commute starts by a 3 min walk to the busstop, then taking the bus for like 25 min.
At the station I take another bus which takes me to school for 15 min. Then again like a walk of 2 minutes. So a trip of 45 minutes, just as long as biking.

사랑 , amor, любовь, amor, kjćrlighet, სიყვარული,

ტრფობა, szerelem, miłość, yęu, אהבה ,ask,

mehebbet,pag-ibig, esgh, รัก!
Joshapd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #46
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

I can do one of two things.

1) Walk outside my apartment and get on the bus that stops directly at my front door every 2-4 min. That bus takes between 30-50 minutes depending on random traffic and how full the bus is. Then I walk 5 minutes to work in downtown Chicago. Total trip, 35-60 minutes.

2) Walk outside my apartment and get on the bus that comes every 2-4 minutes. Take that bus 3 minutes and get off at the train station. Then I take the L into downtown Chicago which takes about 12 minutes. The only problem is even though the trains come every 4 minutes, I usually have to wait for a few before I can squeeze on. Very overcrowded. Then I walk 5 minutes. Total trip is from 30-50 minutes.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #47
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Me and my wife went on a 4-day vacation to British Columbia last weekend and were very impressed with the Vancouver public transit. Very impressed. Unlike the US west coast mass transit that is not developed well and used primarily by homeless people, the Vancouver transportation system is very well designed and a lot of normal people use it on a daily basis. It actually reminded me a bit the good old days when I lived in Kaliningrad If I had to live in Vancouver metro area, I would gladly use the public transportation to get to work/school every weekday and would only use car for holiday trips.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #48
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
The only problem is even though the trains come every 4
minutes
if they are overcrowded, why don't they do they increase frequency...

They are like subway cars right???

At rush hour you can easily get 2 min frequencies...
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #49
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today, i took the green route. It follows the ringroad, and has large portions of 2x2 lanes, however, only a short distance is 70km/h. Most is 50km/h, but you're often not driving faster as 15km/h.

[img]http://i21.************/5p1vfb.png[/img]

If you are not wanting to go left somewhere, stay on the right lane, between the trucks. I am coming from the North, and first there is a few hundred meters jammed before the traffic lights at the A28 exit (Zwolle-North) people are waiting to enter the motorway northbound.

Second problems is the right exit to the downtown area. You can't take the left lane, because it's totally jammed with stopped traffic for the Oosterenk office park, about 1200 m away to the left.

Third problem are the traffic lights at the soccer stadium, often stopped traffic is blocking the intersection.

4th problem is the left exit to a major hospital and the northern side of Oosterenk office park, because the exit lane can only carry about 15 cars at the time, but there are often over 200 cars at the time.

The 5th problem is the last, also the left exit for the central Oosterenk exit. Traffic spreads here towards Oosterenk, the south and southeastern Zwolle. After this traffic light, there is a free flow.

The whole jammed section is only about 2km, but it takes about 25 minutes to travel it. After all, the green route is as fast (or i must say slow) as the red one. Thursday, i try the yellow route. (see above)
[img]http://i10.************/4qd4nwx.jpg[/img]
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #50
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Thats worse than Budapest downtown with car
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

it's only so bad around office times, so from 7.30 - 9.00 and from 16.30 till 18.00

But yes, that's most of the worktimes for many people.
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #52
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

If it wasnt for the metro construction,it would be the same here.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:08 AM   #53
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

My daily trip isn't really far, about 1km on my bike.

But then my day on the dutch roads begins. I'm a taxi driver. Fortunately i drive a nice comfortable car

My 'office'

Old October 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #54
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Do you do long distances or only inside the city? I guess you're often in a traffic jam.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM   #55
CborG
Rick Bakker

Both, we serve normal fares but also 'RegioTaxi' in my region, rivierenland. for long distances there are Schipholtaxi and Valys.
Valys is 'bovenregionaal vervoer' (don't really know the correct english translation) for mostly elderly or disabled people who want to visit their family or friends all over the country but can't use PT for various reasons. Those are the nice fares
I've been to every corner of the netherlands with those rides.

I'm also a frequent visitor of the daily Utrecht-den Bosch traffic jam on the A2, sometimes i'm standing in the same qeue 5 times a day..
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM   #56
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice office. Do you also go across the border?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:33 AM   #57
CborG
Rick Bakker

Not me, but sometimes a company hires us to deliver a package to a factory in Hasselt, belgium and another company regulary wants us to pick up some businessmen at Dusseldorf airport in Germany. I haven't had the luck yet to be at the right time or place to be sent that way
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM   #58
CborG
Rick Bakker

Officially my car isn't allowed to cross the border because it doesn't have a country sticker or a euro flag on its licence plate.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:43 AM   #59
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

Question to drivers, but not only.
I wonder... Do you have many co-travelers? I mean, do you often see the same cars while driving to work?

I have two co-travelers: red Ford Mondeo (my boss, hehe, she says: do you want to race?) and blue Skoda (usually a woman, but sometimes a man, i don't get it, everyone of them drives alone, she's a civil servant, so he can't replace her). And usually in the same place i overtake airport bus.
a za oknem słonko świeci.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:47 AM   #60
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

yes, a woman in red Mazda 3 who is allways late and speeding and idiot in old white Astra who is allways overtaking cars goin n a row (we don't have large jams, but 7-8 h and 15-16 h cars are going in a rows)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote