daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #201
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

Thanks for thread, I like abandoned stuff.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #202
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Spanish A-22 will remain unfinished from next year to at least 2015. The motorway will end abruptly after 94 km and the final 11 kilometers to A-23 are very unlikely to start construction next year, so traffic will have to use N-240, so traffic jams are guaranteed. And it's a black spot!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #203
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

Is that because of budget cuts or just planning problems?
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #204
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I have one from here in the Appleton, WI area - in Kaukauna, WI, just east of Appleton, the 1960 (or thereabout) Fox Cities metro freeway plan included a north-south WI 55 bypass freeway on Kaukauna's southwest side. Continuing northward, it would have then crossed the Fox River, continued roughly along where the Kaukauna-Little Chute border is now and reconnected with WI 55.

In the image:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...27595&t=h&z=15
Fieldcrest Dr in Kaukauna was built on the ROW of the proposed but never built WI 55 freeway. The neighborhood immediately to the east was platted and built while that was still an active plan. Zoom out and pan the image to get an idea of how it would have connected to existing WI 55 at either end of the metro area.

BTW, the current WI 55 surface street through most of Kaukauna (the Lawe St part of it north of the river and Crooks Ave south of it) was rebuilt and upgraded to four clear through lanes about 3-4 years ago.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #205
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is that because of budget cuts or just planning problems?
No, it has a really heavy delay. It waited the environmental decission for many years and now with the budget cuts...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #206
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Though most of them have probably already been mentioned in this thread, I've got a Flickr set of map scans showing a variety of different UK and NI motorway schemes that went unbuilt or unfinished, some with multiple examples such as the M23, and either end of the M42 (Lydiate Ash and the extension to Nottingham)

Britain's Lost Motorway Network

Enjoy!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #207
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

A section of BC Hwy 97C that was to pass to the south of the City of Merritt was put to rest permanently thanks to much bawwwwwing from residents who said people would simply bypass (and rightfully so, miserable hole that it is) them and drive straight to/from Kelowna from the Vancouver, BC area. The section was never constructed.

There were also plans in the late 60s and early 70s to build an urban freeway system in downtown Vancouver, BC. Again it was never constructed, except for the Georgia and Grandview Viaducts, despite the fact it would have been all in tunnels, Like one of Montreal, QC under downtown is. Also planned, was a third crossing of Burrard Inlet, either by cable stayed bridge, or by a tunnel.

Near where I live, there are several sections of abandoned Trans Canada Hwy when it was realigned. Many sections are still driveable/walkable.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #208
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

what about this thing in NY, is this also some kind of unfinished motorway?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...7,0.02105&z=16
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:59 AM   #209
noah_pl

Likes (Received): 1203

"Olimpijka" in Poland.

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olimpijka

700 metres of asphalt road to nowhere in Bolimów Forest. A part of highway pl:Olimpijka, that was never finished.

Ghost bridge near Wiskitki. Bridge of highway pl:Olimpijka, that was never ended, over river Pisia.

Unfinished bridge near Baranów in the middle of nowhere. It should have been a part of a planned Olympic Motorway (Olimpijka) but it has never completed. Moreover that should have been built over the northern part of the Central Mainline (pl:CMK) which also has never been built.

Two ways of forest road in Bolimów Forest. The part of highway pl:Olimpijka, that was never finished.

And now:

-> video: http://warszawa.gazeta.pl/warszawa/1...powietrze.html

keokiracer, Moravian liked this post

Last edited by noah_pl; November 21st, 2010 at 02:09 AM.
noah_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:12 PM   #210
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
what about this thing in NY, is this also some kind of unfinished motorway?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...7,0.02105&z=16
Those are the NYC access roadways for the Lincoln Tunnel. They are 'incomplete' in the sense that the never-built Mid-Manhattan Expressway was to connect to them, but a few blocks to the south of that image. The building that those other ramps disappear into is the Port Authority's bus terminal.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #211
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

I am LOVING this thread. I love abandoned roads and rail lines. I grew up right next to an abandoned rail line in Eastern Kentucky. Once the trains stopped, the locals including myself used it to walk to other neighborhoods as I grew up in a rural mountainous area with no sidewalks. The rail line was also used by atv's to get from area to area without taking the main road. Unfortunately in recent years the owner of the ROW CSX I believe took up the rails to recycle which is good, but they also demolished all the bridges thus leaving parts of it unaccessable.

Interstate 180 in north central Illinois. From what I've read it was built to allow access to Hennepin, IL for a steel mill was located there. Also there is an interchange with Illinois 29 and I-180 that narrows to two lanes southbound. Coordinates on Google earth: lat 41.265885 lon -89.396837 This was designed to connect with ghost stubs (North of Peoria, IL).
The ghost stubs are at the end of Illinois 6 at these Google earth coordinates:
lat 40.826972 lon -89.573029.
Sorry I have no clue how to post the google maps link in here. Well I should say when I try to copy the link of the location it doesn't work properly after I paste it. Any advice would be appreciated so I can share more abandoned sites.

Indianapolis has ghost stubs at the I-65 I-70 interchange where I-69 was supposed to connect. I-69 stops North of the city at I-465. GE coordinates: lat 39.783500 lon -86.141974

Louisville, Ky I-265 never built east end bridge. Who knows when or if this will ever get built. It doesn't connect with I-265 on the Indiana side but both ends connect to local roads. I-265 is signed as Kentucky 841 west of I-71. GE coordinates for the Ky side lat 38.323307 lat -85.621651

Cleveland, OH I-490 stubs at lat 41.484489 lon -81.653082 Freeway construction is forever halted. NEVER will be built any further east due to neighborhood opposition. The residents had a some of the land dubbed as wildlife preserve to help halt the freeway long ago. It was to connect to I-271 in the eastern suburbs.

Omaha, NE I-480 and US 75 interchange. Ghost ramps and bridges for a west bound freeway that was never built. lat 41.262243 lon -95.953446

Tulsa, OK abandoned US 66 bridge downtown. It was fenced off for years and years. Recently has been opened up for pedestrians. lat 63.141344 lon -96.006268

I have more to list but it's bedtime for an early am flight.
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #212
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Another heads up to more updates on my Flickr set, the Bilston Link and Furness Link, as well as more projected Ringways routes.

Check it out!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #213
CNGL
Leudimin

There are some sections of A-7 on the Spanish south coast that will remain unfinished for long years because of budget cuts...
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #214
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Here's a section of abandoned highway over the Savona/Six Mile hill. Still kinda sorta in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoGpZGyz8LY
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #215
AwesomeDude123

Likes (Received): 0

I know 2 unfinished roads, Interstate 526, and SC 30
Interstate 526

SC 30
AwesomeDude123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #216
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

Aha very interesting thread!
We have a lot of such things in Belgium, better kwown as "GTI" (Grand Travaux Inutiles)

A few examples:
Varsenare, nearby Bruges. 2 bridges of a never completed highway.
Sattelite view 2 bridges

Strépy-Bracquegnies, ship-elevator and a unused bridge.

Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #217
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulani View Post
here is one in Cape Town, South Africa. There is so many stories and urban legends around why this was never finished, so its difficult to tell why. However, it looks like the City of Cape Town is divided over whether to dismantle these highways which actually obscure a beautiful view of the sea from the foreshore or to finish them off. Others want the city to put these highways underground.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
I don't think there's any mystery about why this scheme was never finished. It was an excellent engineering design which would have minimised weaving but extravagant one for its function.

It was cancelled in the mid-1970s because of lack of money during the world economic crisis following the oil shock. Infrastructure in South Africa was particularly badly affected because the economic boom of the 1950s-60s was especially strong and then the downturn of the 1970s was particularly bad as the world financial crisis combined with political problems to do with mounting opposition to apartheid and Eastern Block intervention in Angola.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #218
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17461

Were there any plans to connect A86 motorway with A10 motorway (IDF) ? On the A10/A126 junction, there is free space for new roads.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
https://maps.google.com/
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:52 PM   #219
ko7

Likes (Received): 2738

There is no plan for this connection.

The first plan called for the A10 motorway to go straight to Paris Montparnasse using the right of way of a former railway line. If you look on google map, you can see a park alongside the track between porte de Vanves and Montparnasse station. The buildings there was destroyed to make place for the road.
Due to a lot of complains about this expressway (it was planed to be on a viaduct), the plan was canceled. The A10 was connected to A6 and thus no longer arrive at porte de Vanves in Paris. This leads to the cancelation of the plan for the expressway between porte de Vanves and Montparnasse station.
Later, the right of way between Palaiseau and Paris was used by the hsr and they built a park above/around the track (otherwise, there would have been too much opposition).

The Jct at Palaiseau was a planed 4 stacks. There would have been another 4 stacks between the A10 and the A86.

Luki_SL liked this post
ko7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #220
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5452

Indonesia

The first one is the Jakarta - Serpong - Balaraja Toll Road, only a 12km section was completed in between 1999-2005 to Serpong. The continuation to Balaraja as you can see is blocked by those developers who had already built landed houses there
image hosted on flickr

Unfinished by adriansyahyassin, on Flickr

Second one, the N section of Jakarta Outer Ring Road, this section was blocked by the main Plumpang oil depot. So the government built a detour route through the Tanjung Priok port area to connect the JORR section E3 who had already finished in 2007
image hosted on flickr

Unfinished by adriansyahyassin, on Flickr

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A
Losbp está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote