daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #81
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post

SCWTC4's second link is the Laurel Canyon Freeway, and it consists of one underpass.
OK, i though Laurel Canyon Fwy should be close to Laurel Canyon Blvd, which is in the San Fernando Valley (just west of Burbank).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #82
Zibou

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCWTC4 View Post
after a huge work i'm proud (proud? maybe sad) to show some stub ramps and uncompleted motorway/freeway from italy

5) siena: nort and south end of a 2km strech of freeway (built in the middle of nowhere)

This is quite amazing... are there any plans to complete this highway, which seems pretty pointless in its actual state... I even wonder what construction stopped this way, since it seems work was going on when it was interrupted.
Zibou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #83
Energy2003
überall zuhause

in Vorarlberg, A14, we had such thing, but a looot of years later - a few years ago - it was connected (Wolfurt)

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #84
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy2003 View Post
in Vorarlberg, A14, we had such thing, but a looot of years later - a few years ago - it was connected (Wolfurt)
edit: i passed there a few hours ago, we still have an enter to highway which is not connected

Old February 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #85
Zibou

Likes (Received): 0

Speaking of the A14, are there any plans to built a link across the bord to meet the Swiss A13-E43 ?
Zibou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #86
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ No more, at least not for a while.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #87
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zibou View Post
Speaking of the A14, are there any plans to built a link across the bord to meet the Swiss A13-E43 ?

coming from germany:

Wolfurt: Exit NEW,
enter: not connected (should have been S18 ?!)

direction germany:

exit: Wolfurt not exist
enter: NEW: cause it´s made for trucks coming from Güerbahnhof Wolfurt, it´s no classical enter, the three lanes are gooing till Pfändertunnel

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #88
Xabi

Likes (Received): 5

Very curious thread.

A website about abandoned places in Spain (including roads): http://www.lugares-abandonados.com/ Very recommended!

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Xabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #89
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Pretty cool bridge.
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #90
swaugh3

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Here are a few that I know of:

In Baltimore, Interstate 70 was supposed to continue into the city limits, go to downtown, and end at I-95. This never happened; the Interstate pretty much ends at the Beltway, with a little extension heading towards the city limits. Part of the Interstate in the city was buit, though, between Greene Street and Pulaski Street. It is now part of US Route 40.

From above, you can see that the eastern terminus of I-70 where it is near the city limits was not supposed to be the terminus.

Buffalo originally planned on building an outer beltway. This naver happened. Mile Strip Road, near Hamburg, has a short stretch of Interstate-type expressway, which would've been part of that beltway. The interchange with US Route 219 is the section of Mile Strip Road that is expressway.

Interstate 990 north of Buffalo was supposed to go all the way to Lockport. It never did. It ends at Millersport Highway. The continuation of the Interstate is visible as it heads eastbound; the start of the overpass is visible.

Couldn't they revise freeway plans to cover I-70 up in the city?

Buffalo, NY needs a southern link. Perhaps twinning US 219, extending Interstate 99 north, or building a whole new interstate.
swaugh3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #91
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Old Bankhead Highway and Bankhead Viaduct, built in 1912 and obviously abandoned. The bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mre770/508089016/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/135023537/
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #92
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Cape Town has another one - the R300. It currently extends from Mitchell's Plain in the south to Brackenfell in the north. There are plans to extend it in both directions to make it a ring road linking the northern Atlantic suburbs to the southern False Bay suburbs, but nothing ever seems to be done about this.

This is where the R300 currently terminates in Brackenfell, where it meets the N1.

Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #93
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Nice bridge. When was it abandoned?
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #94
Dezz
Crooswijkert

Likes (Received): 1381

I'll have to find that bridge when I'm in Atlanta next month!
Dezz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #95
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yeah, I'll be there too within a month (if everything goes by plan), but I don't think that I get the oppurtunity to go there. I stay a bit south of Atlanta, and I don't think that I go to the city itself.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #96
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

I have searched every way I can think of for information on the abandoned highway and bridge in Atlanta, and all I've been able to come up with is that this is a 370' steel cantilever bridge crossing the CSX tracks near Georgia Tech campus. In Atlanta it is affectionately called "The Bridge to Nowhere" and is the subject of many photo shoots and much love. There are also a handful of homeless folks that shelter themselves underneath the bridge.

Ok...apparently Bankhead Highway (now Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway) used to continue directly over the railroad tracks as it approached Midtown from the west side near Georgia Tech. Presently Bankhead ends and splits into Northside Drive going north and south - running parallell to the railroad tracks instead of crossing them; therefore, there was no longer a need for the bridge. Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&ie=U...,0.031929&z=15

Another photo I found that gives a better idea of the location:

http://tk-jk.net/tksguide/BridgeFold...toNowhere.html

Last edited by WeimieLvr; July 7th, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #97
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

There is a couple of them in Stockholm... (Pics from wikipedia)

Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #98
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Why so?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #99
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

They build a tunnel there instead.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:27 AM   #100
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Do you think cities are better or worse off for giving up on their highway plans?

Seeing as there a fair number of threads here about wasted highway plans through urban areas, do you think on a whole cities are better for them?

Personally, after doing some thinking on the subject, I'm thinking urban highway execution may be more of the problem than the highways themselves. For example, many blame highways for tearing up city neighbourhoods. But why not invest in tunneling them, or designing them to be as non intrusive as possible (ie: build below grade and have bridges over it). Some dislike the pollution they cause, but knowing this is an important health issue why have we not spent the last 50 years developing fuel efficient engines rather than muscle cars or SUVs? (Other issues as well that I could go into, but my gf wants the computer and I have to make dinner)

There are many arguments against urban highways, but in good conditions they can be a fantastic way to move across an urban area and keep through traffic off city streets.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote