daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM   #161
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A44 has been demolished so that coal mine can grow even bigger. I believe it's also planned to demolish the A61 and rebuild the A44 to handle the traffic flow. I can hardly believe this stuff is cost-efficient.

As for the A44 gaps;

The section near Mönchengladbach isn't planned
The section between Ratingen and Velbert is planned, but in early stages I believe
The section between Velbert and Bochum is also planned, and somewhat further in the planning stage
The section in Dortmund is currently build to autobahn, but that's the B1, and not the A44.
The section between Kassel and Eisenach is progressing extremely slow.
ISTR that the section in Dortmund is/was to follow a routing a bit south of the B1, perhaps around the south of Hombruch and close to that industrial area in the southern part of Dortmund.

I am kind of surprised that there are no current plans for the A44 around Mönchengladbach, it looks almost like a 'natural' connection - assuming that the part by the coal mine is restored once the mining is complete.

Poking around a bit further, there is a VERY high-powered 'ghost' interchange, now used only as a local access, on the A44 just west of Jülich. What was that planned to be?

Also, what, if any, are the plans for extending the A46 westward from its current end at the B221 just north of Geilenkirchen?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM   #162
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Poking around a bit further, there is a VERY high-powered 'ghost' interchange, now used only as a local access, on the A44 just west of Jülich. What was that planned to be?
This one? I can only speculate about the possibility the projected road was never realised because of the proximity of the opencastmine Inden.

Old November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM   #163
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

half a cloverleaf without a connecting highway. Strange! I read about the A44 and the A61. A few months ago I read that they were going to rebuild the A44 and demolish the A61 in 2017. That is still quite far away.
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM   #164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I believe there was a motorway planned there in the A5x range. (A56?)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM   #165
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Exactly, the junction shown is "Jülich-West" and was originally meant to be the A 44 / A 56 crossing. The A 56 was never built and probably will never be realiszed. The A 56 should have started in the Heinsberg area near the Dutch border and run in a south-eastern direction towards Euskirchen, crossing the A 44 on its way near Jülich and the A 1 near Euskirchen -- also there, a cloverleaf already was realized. Then turning eastward, the A 56 should have crossed the A 61 near Swisttal and then going towards Bonn, connecting to the existing A 562, which is actaully a small part of the A 56 crossing river Rhine and ending at the A 59/B 42 on the eastern bank. From there, the A 56 should have been continuing to the A 3 Cologne-Frankfurt.

So beside the existing A 562, the Jülich and Euskirchen junctions on the A 44 resp. A 1 are actually remaining parts oft the never-built A 56.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM   #166
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
Exactly, the junction shown is "Jülich-West" and was originally meant to be the A 44 / A 56 crossing. The A 56 was never built and probably will never be realiszed. The A 56 should have started in the Heinsberg area near the Dutch border and run in a south-eastern direction towards Euskirchen, crossing the A 44 on its way near Jülich and the A 1 near Euskirchen -- also there, a cloverleaf already was realized. Then turning eastward, the A 56 should have crossed the A 61 near Swisttal and then going towards Bonn, connecting to the existing A 562, which is actaully a small part of the A 56 crossing river Rhine and ending at the A 59/B 42 on the eastern bank. From there, the A 56 should have been continuing to the A 3 Cologne-Frankfurt.

So beside the existing A 562, the Jülich and Euskirchen junctions on the A 44 resp. A 1 are actually remaining parts oft the never-built A 56.
Looking at the Google Earth aerial images, I can see a preserved ROW and an unused bridge structure extending eastward from the A1/B56 interchange at Euskirchen, traceable as far as Dom-Esch, as well as a visible preserved ROW extending northwestward as far as Kelz, including a 'bridge over nothing' on a local road ('L33') immediately east of Vettweiß, off of the other end of the two lanes on four lanes ROW B56 gelbe-autobahn that extends a short distance northwestward from the A1 to the B265. There is also a 'ghost' ROW for an interchange on the A565 at Ückesdorf.

Was the B56 around Geilenkirchen planned to be a part of that autobahn?

(Man, tracing these never-builts is FUN!)

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; November 2nd, 2008 at 03:56 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM   #167
ultra laverdi

Likes (Received): 0

No.
ultra laverdi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #168
ultra laverdi

why this theme is dead
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #169
RS.ban
BANNED

all highways are finished
RS.ban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #170
Timon91
Error

And nothing is demolished
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #171
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Connecticut seems like the capital of freeway stubs. Perhaps due to the Freeway Revolts in the late 60's/70's. Many projects throughout the US were cancelled by then. However, suburbanization didn't stop, so nowadays, more or less whole Connecticut exists out of low-density urbanized area, increasing pressure at the aged and low-level-of-service expressways in the region.
Ouch Chris that hurt ! unfortunately its all too true. I live northwest of Hartford and life would be a lot simpler in my area if the Route 10 expressway had been built.
Traffic at rush hours here is horrendous with far too many vehicles using a totally antiquated and inadequate road system.
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #172
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Ouch Chris that hurt ! unfortunately its all too true. I live northwest of Hartford and life would be a lot simpler in my area if the Route 10 expressway had been built.
Traffic at rush hours here is horrendous with far too many vehicles using a totally antiquated and inadequate road system.
Sounds like you also could have used the the 4, 189, or the beltway.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM   #173
ultra laverdi

dallas : http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...27122&t=h&z=15
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:31 PM   #174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I believe they want to extend the George Bush Turnpike across that lake to I-30 or even US 80 or I-20.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM   #175
Timon91
Error

Is there a George Bush Turnpike????? Horrible! Must look like this:

Old November 21st, 2008, 09:34 PM   #176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Two Bush'es where/are president of the Estados Unidos, Timon
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM   #177
Timon91
Error

I know, but is it necessary to call a turnpike after them? We don't have a Wim Kok motorway, or a JP Balkenende road, right? Maybe there are, but that are only small roads, not motorways.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM   #178
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's more usual in Texas I guess. There's also a George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. But we do have some named after royalties; Prins Clausplein, Julianaplein, Prins Alexander etc.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM   #179
Timon91
Error

That's right, but these are people we don't need to be ashamed of. By the way, in the US there are more airports named after presidents: JFK and Reagan International, for example.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM   #180
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Two Bush'es where/are president of the Estados Unidos
Mexicanos?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote