daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
Ľ Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM   #461
Winoc

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It will be very hard to get rid of the Javitz. Many high up people in that industry are very keen on it staying in Manhattan, and not having to go to Queens which they consider the middle of nowhere. I'll eat my hat if Javitz is torn down in the next 15 years.
I'm not saying that the Javits will be gone overnight, but it's fate was sealed when the city didn't get to host the 2012 Olympics and then chose to rezone the Far-West of Manhattan to accommodate a world class mixed-use district instead. I'm 100% certain that the Javits won't be gone in 5 years time (barring natural disasters or something like that), but I also think it's likely that we will have a closing year announced and maybe even a replacement convention center being prepped for construction somewhere else in the city.

Sure, the higher-ups in the convention industry will throw a hissyfit when the Javits gets axed, but they won't be able to do anything besides that. NYC is too big for them to ignore or blackmail and they will either have to adapt to the new circumstances or lose lots of money and end up being forced to adapt anyway.
Winoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #462
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

I agree. Javits' days are numbered. The city/state own the land it sits on, and even now, let alone in 5-10 years time, could make a huge amount of money selling the land to a developer, or leasing it to a developer.

Anyways...

"... Mirante added that asking rents for the base will start in the $80s per foot and rise from there and that there is a possibility for residential on the top floors."
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM   #463
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Building a new convention center over the rail yards in Queens will be very expensive. There is probably nowhere else to build such a facility as the racetrack option is probably off the table as it is just in a poor location. I don't think it will be as easy to replace this facility with a larger version as you think. Although it will happen someday, i don't think it will be any time soon. I think it will be a long way off.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:14 PM   #464
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
It will be very hard to get rid of the Javitz. Many high up people in that industry are very keen on it staying in Manhattan, and not having to go to Queens which they consider the middle of nowhere. I'll eat my hat if Javitz is torn down in the next 15 years.
Maybe not 15, but it will be gone in 20. Sunnyside is everybit as convenient as 11th Ave.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:21 PM   #465
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

They should definitely build a convention center over Queens' rail yards. The area's already well connected anyways. Just build the area up similar to Boston Seaport. Once shithole now a prime area.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #466
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
They should definitely build a convention center over Queens' rail yards. The area's already well connected anyways. Just build the area up similar to Boston Seaport. Once shithole now a prime area.
Some people have proposed a potential NYC Olympics to be based around these yards. I could see that tying in with a convention center and being a catalyst to build it if they ever actually won. However, the cost!
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #467
lezgotolondon
Pescara ‹ber Alles

Likes (Received): 1528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
It's still hard for me to picture a massive wall of towers around the Rail Yards as viewed from the Hudson. I can't wait to enjoy that view.

This is just one of many

[IMG]http://oi48.************/29q1m5u.jpg[/IMG]
funkyskunk2
omg that cluster is AWESOME!

Shakkur98 liked this post
lezgotolondon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #468
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Some people have proposed a potential NYC Olympics to be based around these yards. I could see that tying in with a convention center and being a catalyst to build it if they ever actually won. However, the cost!
For whatever reason, New Yorkers oppose hosting the Olympics. Without public support, NYC will never host them.
Old January 24th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #469
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

Hosting the Olympics would bring so many developments to this city, I really hope we manage to do it one day, but our next chance for that seems to be very far off.
Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #470
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I agree. I'd like to see a Bronx-Brooklyn-Queens based Olympics, but it will never happen.
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #471
Renna Hazel

Likes (Received): 14

Aside from kicking the MEts out of Citifield for a season, that would be great. With the upcoming soccer Stadium and Barclays Center, Brooklyn and Queens certainly have the means to host. Not really sure what The Bronx would offer, Yankee Stadium wont be used for the Olympics.
Renna Hazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #472
aquablue
BANNED

NYC messed up its last bid... need to make up for that blunder.

Last edited by aquablue; January 24th, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #473
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I agree. I'd like to see a Bronx-Brooklyn-Queens based Olympics, but it will never happen.
Your right, they never would exclude Manhattan from a NYC Olympic bid MSG would be included. As would central park for some event, most probably. Not to mention the marathon.

Last edited by aquablue; January 24th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #474
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
For whatever reason, New Yorkers oppose hosting the Olympics. Without public support, NYC will never host them.
But why then?

In Europe and my country in special, it's just lack of ambition and the fact that some Olympics in the recent past (Athens, for example) weren't profitable.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #475
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
But why then?

In Europe and my country in special, it's just lack of ambition and the fact that some Olympics in the recent past (Athens, for example) weren't profitable.
There are plenty of reasons. However, none of them convince me!

London, Paris, Tokyo have done it multiple times, NY should be able to join its peer cities Alpha cities in hosting this event at least once. Its only 2 weeks and the legacy could really help the city. Any winning city will need a good legacy in its bid, otherwise it won't be hosting.

The US will host again sooner or later. Given the IOC seem to like big and important named cities now, I think NYC is the best chance the US has to win in this day and age. L.A has hosted twice already and Chicago has probably given up.

Last edited by aquablue; January 24th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #476
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Can we try and keep this about the Girasole?

Thanks to NYGuy for posting this article on SSP.

A 500,000 anchor tenant is not very big. Hudson Yards North is still very likely to get a tenant before this tower, but 500K is not nearly as big as I was expecting, especially if they're willing to spread it over a number of different firms.

Avison Young Tapped As Leasing Agent to 3 Hudson Blvd.
By Karsten Strauss 7:30am

"...Avison is now in search of an anchor tenant for the building and has already begun contacting potential parties that the firm knows are in the market for office space, Mr. Mirante explained. Though he would not name names, he said that companies talking with Related Companies and Manhattan West landlords are Avison’s first logical targets.

An anchor tenant for a development like 3 Hudson Blvd. would normally have a 500,000 square foot requirement, Mirante explained. That said, it’s also possible that two tenants requiring about 200,000 to 250,000 square feet could fulfill the anchor tenant void, he added..."

Kanto liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #477
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

hopefully this is done on there target date of 2016..love love love it

Kanto liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #478
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Can we try and keep this about the Girasole?

Thanks to NYGuy for posting this article on SSP.

A 500,000 anchor tenant is not very big. Hudson Yards North is still very likely to get a tenant before this tower, but 500K is not nearly as big as I was expecting, especially if they're willing to spread it over a number of different firms.

Avison Young Tapped As Leasing Agent to 3 Hudson Blvd.
By Karsten Strauss 7:30am

"...Avison is now in search of an anchor tenant for the building and has already begun contacting potential parties that the firm knows are in the market for office space, Mr. Mirante explained. Though he would not name names, he said that companies talking with Related Companies and Manhattan West landlords are Avisonís first logical targets.

An anchor tenant for a development like 3 Hudson Blvd. would normally have a 500,000 square foot requirement, Mirante explained. That said, itís also possible that two tenants requiring about 200,000 to 250,000 square feet could fulfill the anchor tenant void, he added..."
500' should be very easy to fill.
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #479
TonyNYC

Likes (Received): 31

One thing to think about...If we had beaten London for the last summer Olympics, NYC was the other finalist, we would have never gotten the Hudson Yards. The Olympic Stadium, Jets Football Stadium would have been built over the railyards. That was the proposal and Bloomberg and the Jets really wanted it. The group that really fought the plan for the stadium at the railyards was MSG and the Dolans.

I would've luved a Stadium on the West side, but what's happening now with the Railyards is AWESOME!
TonyNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #480
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
One thing to think about...If we had beaten London for the last summer Olympics, NYC was the other finalist, we would have never gotten the Hudson Yards. The Olympic Stadium, Jets Football Stadium would have been built over the railyards. That was the proposal and Bloomberg and the Jets really wanted it. The group that really fought the plan for the stadium at the railyards was MSG and the Dolans.

I would've luved a Stadium on the West side, but what's happening now with the Railyards is AWESOME!
I suppose. However, the final plan had the stadium at Flushing, but that probably would never have won! Then again, only the Western Yards would have been covered by that stadium, not the current proposals on the Eastern Yards.

Tags
3 hudson boulevard, 555 west 34th street, hudson yards, javits center, moinian, new york city, nyc, related, the girasole