daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2017, 06:36 PM   #961
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Bad news via the New York Post: this tower has been redesigned into a bland, 940' box. What was at one time probably the most exciting single tower in the Hudson Yards has just become the the most forgettable.

Quote:

Developer Joe Moinian is rebooting 3 Hudson Blvd. and has brought in JLL to oversee the development of the new office tower.

Since Peter Riguardi’s team at JLL was hired in August, the architects at FXFOWLE have redesigned the building to better align with today’s office tenants — incorporating larger floor plates, for example.

The redesign boosts the tower to 2 million square-feet on 53 floors while lowering its height to 940 feet. Completion is now scheduled for 2021.

To kick off the reboot, a groundbreaking ceremony is to be held Friday with elected officials.

“We have also brought JLL to help us on every aspect of this project — be it leasing, financing, capital partners and input from their advisory board,” said Moinian.

Riguardi, chairman and president of JLL’s Tri-State Region, explained it was hired because of JLL’s “vast experience” representing tenants of scale who have moved to ground up development and its “market-leading” debt business.

“We are putting together the puzzle: how do we find a tenant and how do we find a partner and move forward under the best circumstances for the Moinian Group,” he said.

Declining to elaborate on a “partner,” other sources explained this could take the form of a tenant that wants to buy its own floors or an investor or fund that wants to become a minority stakeholder.

Moinian, for instance is partners with SL Green Realty Corp. on other projects including 3 Columbus Circle.

Sitting on the northeast corner of West 34th Street and 11th Avenue across from the Javits Center, the site is also bounded by West 35th Street and the west side of Hudson Boulelvard Park, right by the turtle shell-covered entrance to the No. 7 train.

“We are sitting on a full block with unobstructed views — 360-degree views, to the south, northeast and especially west, because we have Javits [the low-rise convention center] across the street,” Moinian said. “From the fourth floor you can see the water and New Jersey.”

Purchased in 2005 from Verizon for $54.788 million, the MTA has been using the site for a decade to stage the No. 7 subway construction. It was recently turned over to the developer, who has begun work on its foundation, which goes right into the bedrock.

As a forest of Related Cos. and Brookfield towers are already open or rising nearby, Moinian’s well-located site is just one of a few remaining spots in the Hudson Yards area for a world-class single-or multi-tenant HQ.

But like the last bridesmaid to get engaged, despite years of efforts by Avison Young to ensure the building’s former iteration was widely courted, poked and prodded, there’s still no ring on the finger — or anchor tenant inked on a dotted line.

The office tower was designed by Dan Kaplan of FXFOWLE to face the sun as it twists off the city’s 22 degree-angled street grid.

“We made the building way more efficient,” Moinian said of the new LEED Gold targeted structure.

The center core base floors will now spread from 50,400 square feet with 18-foot floor-to-ceiling heights to the tower floors of over 40,000 square feet.

There’s also a setback on the eighth floor for a terrace.

The top two floors are set aside for a conference center, or perhaps executive or cafeteria dining, depending on the tenant.

Automated parking is expected to be available.

With 12,600 square feet of retail, Moinian is now courting a white table restaurant as well as a café with outdoor seating along Hudson Boulevard Park.

A bench in that fountain-filled oasis has been named for Oskar Brecher, the Moinian Group’s executive who spearheaded the development of the building and passed away suddenly last year.

The president of the Hudson Yards / Hell’s Kitchen Alliance, Robert Benfatto, thinks that 3 Hudson’s time has come. “Tenants have been popping up, but it just takes a long time to lease,” Benfatto observed.

Three years ago, Moinian noted, “It was who is willing to come? And now it’s who’s not coming? Now I think it’s happening. All the chips are in place.”

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; November 1st, 2017 at 06:42 PM.
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:01 PM   #962
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

That’s just lousy. I wasn’t much impressed by this project in the first place and the height cut doesn’t bother me much, it’s still fairly tall. But that new design is plain lousy.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:27 PM   #963
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1543

Better renders or old design?
http://3hudsonboulevard.com/gallery/

Old November 1st, 2017, 07:33 PM   #964
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

Nice how everyone in the article is trying to put a spin on how great this "reboot" is when they're really just wasting the plot.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:34 PM   #965
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Who the f*ck is responsible for these revisions?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM   #966
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Better renders or old design?
http://3hudsonboulevard.com/gallery/
We may know for sure once Friday's groundbreaking rolls around (they usually stick up some posterboards of the design) but I would say these are old -- the new renders and the article both seem to suggest the taper and twist have been scrapped, in favor of uniform floorplates.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:04 AM   #967
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

This happens waaay too often in New York.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 02:52 AM   #968
baronson

Likes (Received): 722

Tragic and disappointing.

enrigue8 liked this post
baronson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:37 PM   #969
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Regardless of the recent redesign, I find there're way too many glossy towers in the neighborhood.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:29 PM   #970
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6900

Quite honestly I'm surprised they're going through with this at all. The market is essentially saturated at this point and they'll be banking on getting a large tenant for this to be financially viable.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 12:02 AM   #971
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Quite honestly I'm surprised they're going through with this at all. The market is essentially saturated at this point and they'll be banking on getting a large tenant for this to be financially viable.
Agreed, the redesign reads to me like a desperation tactic to get someone, anyone, to sign on... it wouldn't shock me if they fail and this tower gets scrapped until the next cycle.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 07:32 PM   #972
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6900

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Agreed, the redesign reads to me like a desperation tactic to get someone, anyone, to sign on... it wouldn't shock me if they fail and this tower gets scrapped until the next cycle.
I mean One Vanderbilt still hasn't landed a big one and that's about as prime location-wise as it gets. Hudson Yards and Manhattan West thrived on the fact that they were the first ones to have brand new space with a better value proposition than tearing down something in Midtown or finding one last parcel to work with.

I could be proven wrong, but they'd need to pull a Pfizer going to the Spiral for this to work out. One other thing to point out is that Moinian is a residential developer largely, not commercial.
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #973
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Moinian's strategy in wooing tenants by fattening and degrading the design won't work. There are two supertall office towers with large floor plates and better designs across the street that are already underway with anchors.
I don't want to see this built, this news is incredibly disappointing. This tower was supposed to be a star addition to the skyline: a front row stunner along the Hudson riverfront that twists as it rises. Now it's a dull glass box. Forget Foster's 2 WTC, bring back "The Girasole"!

Last edited by Hudson11; November 5th, 2017 at 07:26 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #974
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I mean One Vanderbilt still hasn't landed a big one and that's about as prime location-wise as it gets. Hudson Yards and Manhattan West thrived on the fact that they were the first ones to have brand new space with a better value proposition than tearing down something in Midtown or finding one last parcel to work with.

I could be proven wrong, but they'd need to pull a Pfizer going to the Spiral for this to work out. One other thing to point out is that Moinian is a residential developer largely, not commercial.
Doesn't one Vandy have TD Bank as a major anchor tenant?
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #975
gaab1972

Likes (Received): 376

NEW YORK | 3 Hudson Boulevard | 287m | 940ft | 53 fl | U/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
Doesn't one Vandy have TD Bank as a major anchor tenant?
One Vanderbilt gets a pricey new tenant

“One Vanderbilt has signed its first office tenants since TD Bank came on board two years ago — inking a deal with DZ Bank and its affiliate, DVB Bank, the No. 2 bank in Germany.

The firms signed separate leases for the tower’s entire 26th floor, a combined 35,550 square feet, sources said....

SL Green also scored a coup in April by signing superchef Daniel Boulud for an 11,000-square-foot restaurant complex on One Vanderbilt’s second floor, overlooking East 42nd Street...

TD Bank’s lease is for 200,000 square feet.”

Last edited by gaab1972; November 5th, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
gaab1972 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 10:04 AM   #976
Luca9A8M

Likes (Received): 6934

26 November 2017

3 Hudson Boulevard by NyConstructionPhoto, su Flickr

509 West 34th Street (The Spiral) by NyConstructionPhoto, su Flickr

509 West 34th Street (The Spiral) by NyConstructionPhoto, su Flickr

Old December 9th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #977
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

The redesign made me lose all interest into this development. What a wonderful design got downgraded to a boring generic box.

Hudson11 liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 hudson boulevard, 555 west 34th street, hudson yards, javits center, moinian, new york city, nyc, related, the girasole