daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #41
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
If I'm a football fan, I want to see the highest quality football possible. That's in the NFL. So of course I'd prefer to have an NFL team over a CFL team. That doesn't mean I want to be American; all it means is that I'd prefer to watch football at its highest level. If other Canadian cities could get NFL teams, you think they'd turn them down?

How self-righteous is the rest of Canada? Toronto gets these opportunities because it's a large city. The rest of Canada needs to stop demonizing Toronto for doing what big cities do. Big cities have a lot of weight. That's their nature.

Living in Halifax for the last couple years I've come across people from all over Canada at Dalhousie. Most of them dislike Toronto as a matter of sport. They enjoy mocking the city for the sake of it. If you ask them to give legitimate reasons, they don't have any. So why on earth should Toronto clip its own wings in the hopes of appeasing the rest of the country that gives it zero respect? Perhaps the rest of the country should stop being so childishly insecure.
Where did I say that interest an the NFL makes one American? No where! What I'm saying is that if Torontonians aren't happy with the state of pro football in this country why don't they, as the biggest and most powerful city in the country, work to make it better? Teams and the league are only as good as the support, money, and time we invest in it. There was a time when the CFL was the premier pro football league on the continent. It was great because we paid attention to it. Massive US television revenues for the NFL changed everything.

Gridiron traces its roots to Canada. In a nation that often feels it lacks identity or things that it can call its own, football is one area Canadians should all be proud of, but what do we do? We ridicule it, and toss it aside. I love Toronto, but if people in this city appreciated football's Canadian heritage and worked to build this national institution back up to its former place in Canadian society it would do a great deal more for national cohesion and nation building than what is currently transpiring.

That's what the leading cities in most nations do. Instead of jumping ship to join a foreign league, they work to develop their domestic leagues into something better. Paris, London, Rome, Berlin, Madrid, Amsterdam, Glasgow, Moscow, Instanbul, etc. don't abandon their domestic leagues so that they can play foreign cities that they deem on their level, they act as strong anchors to support and build great domestic leagues that serve to bring their respective nations closer together. Why can't Toronto do the same? People complain about Quebec continually opting out of Canadian institutions, but Toronto does it too. Sport can act as a powerful glue for any nation, but we too often miss that opportunity because our largest cities perennially opt for joining US leagues instead of building something in Canada.

Think about it. We don't crown national champions in any sport besides football. Not one! Most nations celebrate a national champion every year in a few different sports. We don't even manage to do that in hockey.

I'm from Halifax and went to Dalhousie, so I know all about misconceptions about Toronto, but it's a two way street. The rest of Canada would respect Toronto more if it showed more leadership within Canada and poured its energies into bettering Canadian institutions rather than support of foreign ones.

The CFL is the only pro sports league Canada has left. It will be as great as we want it to be. If we abandon our own league, it will reflect that poor stewardship. We're the custodians of our own culture, but this generation has dropped the ball on this one.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 20th, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #42
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
And with the four big banks now being four of the biggest in North America, how long is it gonna be before one of them decides to build another new headquarters?
Never. On the plus side, they have been on a leasing frenzy in both the downtown and suburbs. The downtown even got a nice new 40 storey tower out of it.
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM   #43
Ramako

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMann2000 View Post

And with the four big banks now being four of the biggest in North America, how long is it gonna be before one of them decides to build another new headquarters?
RBC is currently putting the finishing touches on its newest skyscraper in downtown Toronto called the RBC Centre.
Ramako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM   #44
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Beautiful and elegant. Nice to see it under construction...

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #45
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

Shangri-La Toronto got its crane today, pic by Jasonzed posted in the local Toronto forum here at SSC....

yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #46
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

From Caltrane @ SSP via Gregarious at UT

image hosted on flickr
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #47
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

My god what a hole and good to see this take off.Also toronto is still building like crazy during the credit crunch.Well world class cities come through it stronger
marrio415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #48
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
My god what a hole and good to see this take off.Also toronto is still building like crazy during the credit crunch.Well world class cities come through it stronger
That and the pain in the rare end process of loops that the investors had to flip through to get this thing, or any other thing that remotely resembles a building, approved.

If you ask me, I'd say that people don't usually build things in Toronto unless they really really want to.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #49
Looking/Up

Likes (Received): 643

I'm glad to see this one go up. It will have a great effect on the urban landscape.
Looking/Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #50
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #51
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

University Ave. just keeps on getting better.

I find it the most pleasent street to drive on. Just enjoyable.

Too bad the 401 can't be like this.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #52
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

they have poured some concrete at Shangri-La Toronto! pic by gregarious at urbantoronto.ca......

image hosted on flickr
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #53
Chinese Translations
No Limits Translations

Likes (Received): 1

wow..toronto has great density..looks like NYC
Chinese Translations no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #54
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Nice to see that they have poured some concrete. Even though construction seems to be really slow, I`m happy that this one is going up.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #55
AmericanSkyscraper22

Likes (Received): 9

slow but steady progress
AmericanSkyscraper22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #56
Marco Polo

Beautiful
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #57
AmericanSkyscraper22

anyone have an estimate of when they'll hit street level
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #58
Marcanadian

I've heard at least a year.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #59
AmericanSkyscraper22

why so long, and why such a deep hole for a moderate sized building?
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #60
Marcanadian

It's the second deepest excavation in Toronto history (Scotia being the first). There are going to be several underground parking levels, which take a while to be built. Once we're at ground level, it'll speed up.

Tags
toronto