daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #61
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

That makes me angry. The city really should demand better from this developer. This crap is a slap in the face. A flower bed minus the 'art' would have been better. This is just embarassing.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #62
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12204

It is cheesy "art", especially when you see it in real life. It is fibreglass, I think, with the ubiquitous LED lighting that is starting to get on my nerves a bit.
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #63
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

And the flower bed looks like a former fountain that was too expensive to operate and thus filled in with earth and crappy flowers or whatever they are. Its just all wrong. In fact, I hate this whole project. It only looks passable about 100 miles away. And there should have been office buildings here, or at least mixed towers. What a waste. I hope Aura makes up for it.
Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #64
Taller, Better
Administrator

aforementioned "art" with ubiquitous LED lighting:

Old November 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #65
Elkhanan1

Its vile. The 'art'work and the rest of the project deserve each other. They're both tasteless.
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #66
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
And there should have been office buildings here, or at least mixed towers. What a waste. I hope Aura makes up for it.
I'm hoping for a major office building just down the street in that parking lot north of the bus terminal. It would be great to have office towers spread out over downtown instead of being mostly clustered in one area.

Aura has been the building I've been most excited about for over a year now. It seems like it's finally becoming reality. Often, modifications compromise a structure's physical appeal, but the recent changes to Aura have made a great project even better.

It's not hard to imagine the CBD spreading north to meet this building. It seems that Aura may even help spread retail west from Yonge along Gerrard. It would be significant progress having retail spreading east and west off Yonge. The opening of the Canadian Tire store at Bay and Dundas is testament to that.
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #67
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

it makes me want to drop LSD at night, though during the day it looks pretty shoddy.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #68
yin_yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm hoping for a major office building just down the street in that parking lot north of the bus terminal. It would be great to have office towers spread out over downtown instead of being mostly clustered in one area.

Aura has been the building I've been most excited about for over a year now. It seems like it's finally becoming reality. Often, modifications compromise a structure's physical appeal, but the recent changes to Aura have made a great project even better.

It's not hard to imagine the CBD spreading north to meet this building. It seems that Aura may even help spread retail west from Yonge along Gerrard. It would be significant progress having retail spreading east and west off Yonge. The opening of the Canadian Tire store at Bay and Dundas is testament to that.
I don't know...look at the first two phase renders and reality...can we really trust this one?

The Gerrard West strip is pretty well-stocked with retail already, but could aways use more stores and wider sidewalks there.
Old November 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #69
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin_yang View Post
it makes me want to drop LSD at night, though during the day it looks pretty shoddy.
the sculpture dosen't really stick in my mind.. Really, it'd look better without it..
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #70
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I don't know...look at the first two phase renders and reality...can we really trust this one?

The Gerrard West strip is pretty well-stocked with retail already, but could aways use more stores and wider sidewalks there.
I thought the finished product (Phase 1 and 2), although mediocre, was a big improvement on the render. I love the Aura render, so I'm rather optimistic that the finished product will be decent. Time will tell.

As far as Yonge Street goes, it's saturated already. The demand for retail isn't going to plateau, but increase even more. Yonge street retailing has no where to go except east and west unless we start seeing more shopping complexes on this street.

I'd rather see more 'high street' shopping and an alternative to Yonge street. The spread of retail east and west of Yonge is probably inevitable, but also makes for a more interesting downtown. The traffic is predominantly north-south. An east-west retail corridor towards Bay and perhaps another a parallel north-south retail corridor along Bay would be fantastic. Bay is already showing signs of moving in that direction.

In the future a retail 'loop' may develop similar to some indoor shopping mall traffic flow designs: Up Yonge, west through Yorkville, then south down Bay, then east along Queen, and back to Yonge.
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #71
yin_yang

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I thought the finished product (Phase 1 and 2), although mediocre, was a big improvement on the render. I love the Aura render, so I'm rather optimistic that the finished product will be decent. Time will tell.

As far as Yonge Street goes, it's saturated already. The demand for retail isn't going to plateau, but increase even more. Yonge street retailing has no where to go except east and west unless we start seeing more shopping complexes on this street.

I'd rather see more 'high street' shopping and an alternative to Yonge street. The spread of retail east and west of Yonge is probably inevitable, but also makes for a more interesting downtown.
Re: RCOP...Most people would agree with me that the sleek glass component being changed was quite dissapointing...I have seen many grumpy people complain over this, and rightfully so. Just an opinion so no use arguing over it. Just saying you're in the minority of an objective arguement.

Re: Outdoor expansion of retail in downtown...you're making the "spread of retail east and west of Yonge" sound like a bad thing by the way you wrote your statement...but really, the retail won't grow E-W until it can be supported...it'll be organic or planned and calculated. Either way, not really a bad thing. I agree, it would make for a much more interesting downtown.
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #72
vancouverite/to'er

I prefer the Met
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #73
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Re: RCOP...Most people would agree with me that the sleek glass component being changed was quite dissapointing...I have seen many grumpy people complain over this, and rightfully so. Just an opinion so no use arguing over it. Just saying you're in the minority of an objective arguement.

Re: Outdoor expansion of retail in downtown...you're making the "spread of retail east and west of Yonge" sound like a bad thing by the way you wrote your statement...but really, the retail won't grow E-W until it can be supported...it'll be organic or planned and calculated. Either way, not really a bad thing. I agree, it would make for a much more interesting downtown.
I am in favour of the more metallic finish of the original AURA render. The base of the second render was better though. So, we seem to be in agreement.

On the second point, I'll clarify that I am a big proponent of an east-west spread of Yonge Street retailing, AND the eventual parallel development of Bay as a retailing alternative to Yonge to create a retail neighbourhood, rather than a retail strip. The Bay to Yonge strip of Dundas East greatly improved with the addition of the Canadian Tire and Best Buy stores. Before, there was little reason to venture to Bay/Dundas from Yonge/Dundas.

Similar evolution right up the spine of Yonge would be fantastic. I'd love to see something on the lines of a Macy's department store on Bay Street one day. Perhaps half way between Bloor and Queen.

Last edited by isaidso; December 3rd, 2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #74
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
I prefer the Met
I'm always a trifle surprised at the widespread admiration for the Met project in our SSC group. Really, it is the project that has received little or no disapproval from anyone. To me it is an ok project, but I wouldn't put it in my favourites group.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM   #75
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I'm always a trifle surprised at the widespread admiration for the Met project in our SSC group. Really, it is the project that has received little or no disapproval from anyone. To me it is an ok project, but I wouldn't put it in my favourites group.
Its my favourite of 2007. I love the shape, colour, height and just about everything! I love it so much im actually considering a unit in it.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #76
vancouverite/to'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Only One Saint Thomas,Hazleton,X Condos',1 Bedford beats it IMO for projects this year.
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #77
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverite/to'er View Post
Only One Saint Thomas,Hazleton,X Condos',1 Bedford beats it IMO for projects this year.
X is my top pick for next year!
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #78
Elkhanan1

I think the Met photographs well, which may be why it's so well liked around here. In life I find it 'very ordinaire,' as a good friend of mine likes to say.
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #79
vancouverite/to'er

A strip including a Macy's style department store along Bay would be a great transition from uber-high-end Yorkville to the whimsical, quirky stores along Queen.
Somthing I wouldn't be surprised to see actually materialise in several years(that is most likely on Queen St based on current trends)
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #80
isaidso
the new republic

There are, perhaps, many reasons for the widespread appeal of the Met. The Met capitalizes on its location on a bend. Curved streets are a rarity in Toronto, so this condo tower offers not only great curb appeal, but uniqueness.

The curved street also lent itself to a curved design. The rounded edges of this building seem to have struck a chord with many people who are tired of a seemingly endless stream of generic looking condo towers. Not only is this not a glass box, but much attention was paid to proportion, balance, and details.

The design seems to have gotten many things right. Even the light feature atop the building was done well. It is attractive and offers a bright splash of colour on a gloomy winter day.

Tags
toronto