daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM   #381
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Umm after the building's finished...
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #382
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Very nice looking tower, blends well with the skyline in my opinion.
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #383
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post

Umm after the building's finished...
Yea, which will be when? A date? Day, month, year?

- A
Old October 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #384
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Yea, which will be when? A date? Day, month, year?

- A
I think there is a subway station inside the building too, it's more complicated than it sounds.
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #385
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Lol I literally live 10 steps away from this building lol
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #386
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 799

You should be banned for not taking a picture of it then
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #387
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I think there is a subway station inside the building too, it's more complicated than it sounds.
Yea, i noticed that. I need to check this area out again, but this time see where the entrance opens up into down below. I think i saw some blue construction walls up inside the station not too long ago. When the building was just a hole in the ground, i saw the area to the one side, it looked like it was rather close to the 42nd st passageway between times sq station proper and 8th ave station for 42nd st PABT. Then more recently i saw down into the hole right at the corner & it looked like it kept going. I figured it was either subway access, or utility access. Then even more recently i noticed that there is a hallway a quarter the way under the street out into the intersection. Since the DR entrance on the northwest corner of 42 and 8th is on the oposing corner, i suspect they will do a Y type configuration, with one wide area for the intersection entrances, and another area for the PABT, and then the other entrance on the west side of 8th ave north of 42nd about 50 feet.

I'd really like to see the engineering schematics for this subway entrance.

All of that said, my first impression of this project on paper made me not like it very much, but when i saw how it was in person, and the subway entrance, i began to like it a lot. The way the building angles the "leaning" facade, and how they constructed the facade with cantilever, and how the outermost columns lean with the facade... Brilliant. Also, the subway part will save me (and my girlfriend) a lot of time, not having to walk to the other 2 streetside entrances!

- A
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #388
Onn
BANNED

Looks like this one is finally almost finished!

Pussy Willow, December 29th, SSP

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:15 AM   #389
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

It looks dull next to the marvelous New York Times tower... This design fits better to Jersey City then to the center of the world...

But at least good this empty plot in finally filled.
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM   #390
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Beautiful tower!
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:29 AM   #391
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 7

I liked how the building turned out and how good it looks with it being all glass, but the entrance of the building is not too nice
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM   #392
SkyBridge
a.k.a. Sequentia

Likes (Received): 1849

Wow, big mistake this building... The glass is terrible and the entrance is horrific!
Old December 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM   #393
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

When are they starting with those tv screens and billboards on the facade?
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:52 PM   #394
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBridge View Post
Wow, big mistake this building... The glass is terrible and the entrance is horrific!
I think the glass looks fine, but they say it looks a lot better in person. So I would reserve some judgment.
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:24 AM   #395
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

The glass is gorgeous.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 04:34 AM   #396
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
When are they starting with those tv screens and billboards on the facade?
When I was there there already were some billboards on there.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #397
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

i hope they will build something nice on this garages next to this beauty.
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #398
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Aquarium may land in Times Square office tower

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61966T20100210
Ilaina Jonas
Feb 10, 2010

Quote:
As if Times Square wasn't enough of a zoo, just wait for its newest neighbor: a giant aquarium in a new office building.

Toronto-based Aquarium Development Corp has signed a preliminary agreement to lease the first seven floors of 11 Times Square on the corner of Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street in Manhattan, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

The aquarium would be the first tenant in the 40-story, 1.1 million square foot building. Its neighbors would include the Port Authority Bus Terminal and The New York Times building.

If it makes a firm deal and signs the lease, the Aquarium company's lease would last 25 years, one of these people said. A lease could be signed soon and the aquarium could open as early as 2011, that source said.

The aquarium would occupy one floor, while another floor would be concourse space, two of the sources said. The project likely would cost about $100 million, they said.

It is unknown how much the admission would be or what kind of creatures would get free digs in the prime real estate. It is also unknown if the aquarium would be visible from the street and how big it would be.

At least one public aquarium has graced Manhattan before, sitting at the lower tip of the island in Battery Park, south of the financial district. The aquarium fell victim to Robert Moses, the iconoclastic New York City Parks Commissioner who rebuilt much of the city according to his own designs.

One of his casualties in his frequent political battles with his rivals was the aquarium, which was closed in 1941, according to Robert Caro's book, "The Power Broker."

Aquarium Development Corp Chairman Gerald Shefsky was not available for comment. Shefsky in 1999 built the million-gallon Newport Aquarium in Kentucky. That aquarium has 70 exhibits and 14 galleries, including a loggerhead sea turtle, sharks, jellyfish and penguins, according to an aquarium brochure.

The building's New Jersey-based developer, Steve J Pozycki's SJP Properties, and its backer, Prudential Financial Inc's Prudential Real Estate Investors, might stock the building with sharks too -- the landlord is negotiating with law firm Proskauer Rose LLP to become an anchor tenant.

Lisa Iurato, a spokeswoman for Prudential, declined to comment as did a spokesman for SJP Properties.
Deal May Bring Aquarium to Times Square

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000....html?mod=e2tw
By ANTON TROIANOVSKI
February 10, 2010

Quote:
New York's Times Square may be getting a new tenant: a seven-story aquarium.

Jerry Shefsky, a Toronto-based developer, said on Wednesday that he has signed a preliminary agreement with the landlord of an office tower on the western edge of Times Square to go forward with the $100 million project. He would install tanks featuring sharks, rays, penguins, otters, and other animals in the bottom floors of the 40-story building, known as 11 Times Square, hoping to attract some of the 35 million people who pass through Manhattan's major crossroads every year.

Mr. Shefsky, 76 years old, has built aquariums and shopping centers around the world. He cautioned in an interview that the lease agreement for 11 Times Square isn't yet final. But he said he may start building out the space as early as this April with the hope of opening the aquarium in September 2011.

A deal with Mr. Shefsky would be a long-awaited bit of good news for the developer of 11 Times Square, SJP Properties Inc., and its major financial backer, a real-estate fund managed by Prudential Financial Inc. SJP, led by New Jersey developer Steven Pozycki, broke ground on the tower in 2007 without having first secured a tenant, hoping that the hot Manhattan office market would bring sky-high rents as the building neared completion. But the market turned—New York City office rents plummeted 20% in 2009, according to Reis Inc.—and SJP's empty tower on the corner of 42nd Street and 8th Avenue has become a symbol of commercial-property woes.

SJP is also negotiating to lease 400,000 square feet in the building to law firm Proskauer Rose LLP, said a person familiar with the matter. The building is slated to be completed in the next few months.

The proposed aquarium's unusual placement inside a skyscraper means it'll be different from most big-ticket fish exhibits. Preliminary plans call for about half of the floor space to be taken up by water exhibits, Mr. Shefsky said, while the rest will be occupied by things like a pirate museum and educational displays about the marine world. "It's anything but an aquarium in the format you might imagine," he said. Mr. Shefsky's company, Aquarium Developments Corp., also built the Newport Aquarium near Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Times Square project would likely have fewer fish than some of the high-profile aquariums built in recent years. Mr. Shefsky says he currently expects his tanks to contain about 600,000 gallons of water. Atlanta's Georgia Aquarium, which opened in 2005, has more than eight million gallons of water.

Mr. Shefsky said he has lined up financial backers to help pay for the aquarium's installation, which will cost more than $100 million. He declined to name those backers, and he said he wasn't ready to release a rendering of the aquarium. Mr. Shefsky discussed his plans after an inquiry from a reporter.
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #399
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

This tower have 3 types of cladding...
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:07 AM   #400
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote