daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #61
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie88 View Post
Buyckske Ruben, thats 785 8th avenue

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=555470
OMG that funny craper, scare of a small building.
Thanks eddie88
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #62
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post

Ther is another building rising just behind the black car on the left in the picture? What project is that?
the bus park to the left of that black car is future home of a tower also i think, right?
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #63
MDguy

Today from flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://flickr.com/photos/marmaz/2423531477/
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #64
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Passed by today, plenty of steel is visible now:

ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 04:20 AM   #65
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Nice!
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM   #66
Exrexnotex

Cool ! I like it a lot !
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM   #67
philvia

i have a feeling this one will rise very fast
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #68
Medusah

Likes (Received): 0

ya me 2.
Medusah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM   #69
Woodstock88
BANNED

really nice building!
Woodstock88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #70
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

As someone who has frequented this part of times square for several years on a weekly basis, i am not looking forward to this one. There are 3 balconies on the AMC empire 25 theater directly next to the site, and the biggest one will have its views to the hudson and nj and the PABT completely cut off. This will also completely swamp the intersection of 8th and 42nd and 8th and 41st with pedestrian traffic. If i lived in ny county i'd totally sue over this. I like my charming low tempo corner of times square. Would have been better off just outside times square one block north of the PABT. I have at least a hundred photos of this thing. Last time i walked by the ground floor and second floor substructure is in place along with the framework for the side facing 42nd street up to the 3rd floor. I am sure they have more of it done by now but that's the most current info i have. I have not been to the 41st street side because the sidewalk has a bypass and it's very dangerous with traffic and material supply vehicles to even bother. I even have video of the crane operator leaving for the day taken from inside the theater where you'd normally go out onto the balcony. It is closed for safety reasons right now. As much as i love a city moving forward, they need to remember that not just companies care about the area where the building is or its design.

- Andy
metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #71
metsfan
Photographer

Here are some shots from october 2007.

That last one is a shot of the hudson with the mcgraw-hill building to left that will no longer be visible once 11TS is complete.

- Andy
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #72
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Uhm, the AMC won't lose all it's views. This building has a setback. You may not see the Port Authority anymore, but you will still be able to see parts of New Jersey and parts of the Hudson. Besides, you are paying 11 bucks to see a movie not New Jersey from a balcony.

Also the sidewalk will be significantly widened for this project with another subway entrance.

And to sue New York County for congestion is the silliest thing I have ever heard. New York is alread congested. How would that help? You just sound like the typical NIMBY.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #73
philvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post

That last one is a shot of the hudson with the mcgraw-hill building to left that will no longer be visible once 11TS is complete.

- Andy
THAT is the view you're complaining about?
but perhaps you could get some new pics? from where you took the other ones, it seems like you have the perfect vantage point.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #74
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
There are 3 balconies on the AMC empire 25 theater directly next to the site, and the biggest one will have its views to the hudson and nj and the PABT completely cut off.
And the AMC blocked someone else's views when it was built. Maybe the building housing AMC shouldn't have been built either. Let's keep on going down the line. What about the views from the building whose views was blocked by the the building whose views was blocked by the AMC building? That shouldn't have been built either. What about the building whose views was blocked by the building who blocked the building whose views is blocked by the AMC building?
Why don't we just not build anything in Manhattan at all? No one should be allowed in so there'll be no traffic at all and no views will be blocked. While we're at it, why don't we all just die so there will be no need for buildings anywhere at all. That will guarantee there will be 0 traffic and congestion.
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #75
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
And to sue New York County for congestion is the silliest thing I have ever heard. New York is alread congested. How would that help? You just sound like the typical NIMBY.
Just like how NJ's governor threatened to sue NYC if it put congestion pricing into effect!
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #76
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Uhm, the AMC won't lose all it's views. This building has a setback. You may not see the Port Authority anymore, but you will still be able to see parts of New Jersey and parts of the Hudson. Besides, you are paying 11 bucks to see a movie not New Jersey from a balcony.

Also the sidewalk will be significantly widened for this project with another subway entrance.

Sue for putting a huge tower next to a series of low rise buildings making them ripe for the plucking of a-holes like trump and ruining my times sq. The design of the building does not allow views west from the lower balcony, only the upper 2. The balconies will be rendered useless after ice storms as pieces of ice will fall from the top/fascia as well. The NYT building chucked several large pieces of ice at me last winter, one of which hit a car on 42nd street, another of which landed right next to me I am all for integrated projects in historic areas, but not ones insensitive to properties that they are right up against. Someone has to fight to reasonably preserve times square.

- Andy
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #77
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse View Post
And the AMC blocked someone else's views when it was built. Maybe the building housing AMC shouldn't have been built either. Let's keep on going down the line. What about the views from the building whose views was blocked by the the building whose views was blocked by the AMC building? That shouldn't have been built either. What about the building whose views was blocked by the building who blocked the building whose views is blocked by the AMC building?
Why don't we just not build anything in Manhattan at all? No one should be allowed in so there'll be no traffic at all and no views will be blocked. While we're at it, why don't we all just die so there will be no need for buildings anywhere at all. That will guarantee there will be 0 traffic and congestion.
The AMC didn't cut off any views, it's only ~9 stories and its integrated into an old playhouse theater on 42nd street. It adjoins i think 2 other entities, the mcdonald's and the wax museum in the same structure, the exact details i am unsure of.

From the 24th!

- Andy
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #78
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
The AMC didn't cut off any views, it's only ~9 stories and its integrated into an old playhouse theater on 42nd street. It adjoins i think 2 other entities, the mcdonald's and the wax museum in the same structure, the exact details i am unsure of.
That same structure that you don't know the exact details that made the AMC possible cut off the views of the Candler building further east on that block. If they were to follow your logic this entire block should just be vacant so the Candler building wouldn't have any views blocked. In fact the city should have a vacant lot every other building just so views won't be blocked. Yes the South Bronx from the 70's with all the empty lots is the way the go!

For your information lot line windows are not allowed in this city. That is why you see so many buildings in this city with blank walls on their sides. They are anticipating buildings going up next door. The folks that put in the AMC windows should have known that the views wasn't going to remain forever.

Last edited by centreoftheuniverse; April 29th, 2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #79
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse View Post
That same structure that you don't know the exact details that made the AMC possible cut off the views of the Candler building further east on that block. If they were to follow your logic this entire block should just be vacant so the Candler building wouldn't have any views blocked. In fact the city should have a vacant lot every other building just so views won't be blocked. Yes the South Bronx from the 70's with all the empty lots is the way the go!

For your information lot line windows are not allowed in this city. That is why you see so many buildings in this city with blank walls on their sides. They are anticipating buildings going up next door. The folks that put in the AMC windows should have known that the views wasn't going to remain forever.
Do you go here every week and enjoy the sunset view with your girlfriend on the balcony before or after a movie? Do you know that the original plan for times square revitalization was a cold few blocks of office towers? Do you know anything about the history of times square and the people who frequent it? Not just fly in for the long weekend shopping addicts who know nothing about the city, it's history, it's struggles, its future aspirations? This place is like a second home to me. On october 24th 2007 i watched one of the most beautiful sunsets i've ever seen set over the palisades and reflect off the water of the hudson and the nearby windows of buildings and vehicles from this balcony. It may not mean much to you, but it's one less thing i can enjoy, one more thing chipped away that will never return. Blocked off by a heartless piece of over-hyped crap. It would have been better placed on the northwestern corner of 8th ave and 42nd street, at least that way people could still see the unbelievably beautiful mcgraw-hill building.

- Andy
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #80
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
Do you go here every week and enjoy the sunset view with your girlfriend on the balcony before or after a movie?
So what? Just because you had some kind of enjoyable personal experience is enough to stop a project that will create thousands of jobs, inject hundreds of millions into the city's economy not to mention make Times Square that much more exciting? Are you really that nutty? If we're all going to stop everything from being built because everybody had some kind of wonderful sunset, then almost no place on this planet can be built upon. Where do you live? Did you know some guy had a fascinating experience back in 1910 where your building is at? They should've never built that building that you live right now.

Quote:
Do you know that the original plan for times square revitalization was a cold few blocks of office towers?
Okay, so what? What does have to do with what we're talking about?

Quote:
Do you know anything about the history of times square and the people who frequent it?
More than you think and probably even more than you.

Quote:
Not just fly in for the long weekend shopping addicts who know nothing about the city, it's history, it's struggles, its future aspirations?
Judging from your ludricrous ideas maybe those addicts have more of a clue.

Quote:
This place is like a second home to me. On october 24th 2007 i watched one of the most beautiful sunsets i've ever seen set over the palisades and reflect off the water of the hudson and the nearby windows of buildings and vehicles from this balcony.
Do you even realize how crazy you sound? You saw a beautiful sunset from some balcony and now you want that forever frozen because of that. I have heard some nutty things on this forum but you top them all! And for you information the Palisades are across from Washington Heights in Upper Manhattan not 42nd St in Midtown.

Quote:
It may not mean much to you, but it's one less thing i can enjoy, one more thing chipped away that will never return. Blocked off by a heartless piece of over-hyped crap.
What if someone said they don't like you because you are a piece of overhyped crap, would you stop living just to please them?

Quote:
It would have been better placed on the northwestern corner of 8th ave and 42nd street, at least that way people could still see the unbelievably beautiful mcgraw-hill building.
I can't believe I am even bothering talking with you when you make statements that only a 5 year old can think up. If you say you are an adult then clearly there is something wrong with you. If you put a tower on the NW corner of 42nd and 8th then you are blocking the view from the building next to that lot. It would be the same thing. Your statements are just plain illogical. Get back to me when you gain some sense.