daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #81
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

dude, relax!

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #82
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
dude, relax!
Yea, i know right? People are allowed to have their opinions, and you should know better than to use personal attacks. I bet you've never been on this balcony during a sunset. It's really quite magical as the lights of the street below come alive as the oranges yellows reds and even blues of the sunset fade into black. There is all ready a tall building on that other corner, as well as a subway station all ready existing.

"""bla bla bla bla you're an idiot and i know more than you bla bla bla go away bla bla bla."""

Doesn't look too good huh? Maybe people should think next time before they press that submit button. Good luck with working on your personal interaction skills.

- Andy
metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #83
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

stop that shit metsfan and come back to topic!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #84
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Yea, i know right? People are allowed to have their opinions, and you should know better than to use personal attacks. I bet you've never been on this balcony during a sunset. It's really quite magical as the lights of the street below come alive as the oranges yellows reds and even blues of the sunset fade into black. There is all ready a tall building on that other corner, as well as a subway station all ready existing.

"""bla bla bla bla you're an idiot and i know more than you bla bla bla go away bla bla bla."""

Doesn't look too good huh? Maybe people should think next time before they press that submit button. Good luck with working on your personal interaction skills.

- Andy
Everybody is free to express their opinion, but everybody else is free to express theirs and argument yours. Democracy works for everybody, not only for your opinion.

And commenting on what you said, I have to say it is absolutely ridiculous. Not one single skyscraper would have been built if an opinion as yours was supposed to be gotten into consideration, because a taller building will ALWAYS block the view of the smaller buildings around it. If it was for people like you, the New York we know of would NEVER have existed.
Good thing the people that decide don't take you (and the others like you) into consideration.

As for the building, I think it will be a great addition to the Times Square area, hopefully increasing it's size and area of influence with plenty of other gigantic screens and lights.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #85
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

So metsfan, you would prefer a hole (or prior to that a parking lot) over this building?

Low rise building? Ever notice the hotel attached to the AMC, I believe it is 40 storey's tall. Oh my very low rise indeed. Should we tear that down. How about the Westin Hotel across the street? Or Conde Naste just a few blocks as well. Why don't we knock down all of New York so you can have pristine views of a parking deck a sliver of the Hudson River and w/e you want to look at.

And NYT nor this building is being built by Trump. At least get the developer straight, maybe then somebody will take you seriously instead of writing you off as a clueless NIMBY.

Last edited by ramvid01; April 29th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #86
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

^ Democracy is stupid @ romanamerican.

What I want to know is what this tower is replacing. To me it seems like another ill-thought up tower that is the same as all the other bland, shiny glass structures that are being constructed. Nothing special to me; incomparable to any tower in the WTC complex though.

Last edited by storms991; April 30th, 2008 at 01:09 AM.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #87
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:

- Andy
uh .. are you talking to me?
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #88
ramvid01

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
What I want to know is what this tower is replacing. To me it seems like another ill-thought up tower that is the same as all the other bland, shiny glass structures that are being constructed. Nothing special to me; incomparable to any tower in the WTC complex though.
It is replacing what was a parking lot that was turned into a giant dirt hole.

And no this is not like any other bland shiny glass structure. It has fine details that you would not see in a bland shiny glass building. This is like 20 billion times better then any bland shiny glass building, although it isn't any Flatiron.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #89
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
^ Democracy is stupid @ romanamerican.
Sorry but I have to disagree. It's not democracy that is stupid, it's the people. A democratic system is't perfect, but it's the best one discovered up untill now.
Although I'm going OT, so I will stop here, if you want to continue this talk, you can always send me a private message.

As for the building, I find it yes simple, but much better than what was there before, an obvious improvement for the area, good for the local economy and a good filler. Of curse there could have been something better, but also something much worst. So instead of whining about it as usual, I think everybody should be quite happy (let alone the ones that will miss romantic sunsets...).
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #90
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree. It's not democracy that is stupid, it's the people. A democratic system is't perfect, but it's the best one discovered up untill now.
Although I'm going OT, so I will stop here, if you want to continue this talk, you can always send me a private message.

As for the building, I find it yes simple, but much better than what was there before, an obvious improvement for the area, good for the local economy and a good filler. Of curse there could have been something better, but also something much worst. So instead of whining about it as usual, I think everybody should be quite happy (let alone the ones that will miss romantic sunsets...).

I just find it an utterly impersonal and uninspiring addition to times square and 8th ave and 42nd st. If you're going to block an intentionally added view, at least block it with something nice to look at, not some bland office building with "hip" curb appeal for 42nd street on the lower levels. I think a better addition would be a theater with a drama/acting school above it, not an advertising firm with no soul.

- Andy
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #91
ramvid01

Quote:
If you're going to block an intentionally added view...
An intentionally added view it's not. You are not paying 11 dollars to get a view above Times Square, your paying 11 bucks to watch a movie. It just happens to be the only way the AMC can provide a smokers area without having to check your tickets again to come back in and it just happens to have a view of the Hudson.
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #92
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
uh .. are you talking to me?

No.

-Andy
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #93
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
An intentionally added view it's not. You are not paying 11 dollars to get a view above Times Square, your paying 11 bucks to watch a movie. It just happens to be the only way the AMC can provide a smokers area without having to check your tickets again to come back in and it just happens to have a view of the Hudson.
They don't allow smoking there.

- Andy
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #94
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

metsfan is obviously a teenage troll that is just trying to stir up shit. This is the "nice building" his view is from and he thinks that 11 TS should be more like:

And this is the "hip curb appeal" of that building from 41st street:
image hosted on flickr

metsfan you're full of shit and you're making yourself look silly the more you talk.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #95
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Hey metsfan why don't you worry about getting more personable and inspiring buildings in Newtown PA where you're from and leave the planning of Times Square for people here who actually have a clue and aren't retarded.

Can't build a building because some teenage troll had a nice sunset view.
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #96
metsfan
Photographer

That isn't the building i'm talking about. For a better perspective i'll post some photos.

The "set--backs" are not going to allow westward views from the bottom balcony.

I like this show, but i think this building could have been put over here instead of right up next to a short little theater/multiuse structure. Someone said there was a hotel attached, wrong theater, that's the regal e-walk that has connections to a hotel.

Once completed 11ts will block out this view completely, and of anything farther to the south/southwest.

Edit: found one more good shot

Sorry if disagreeing with a building being built is "stirring up shit". Maybe you need to get a grip & leave me alone? Also, not a "teenager".

- Andy

Last edited by metsfan; April 30th, 2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Add photo..
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #97
ramvid01

For the building to block the view in the third picture in that exact direction, it would have to be built in the middle of that intersection.

The link: http://sec.edgar-online.com/2003/12/...7/Section4.asp

Quote:
Developed in 2000 by Forest City Ratner Companies, the 21-story, 444-room Hilton
Times Square is located between 41st and 42nd Streets and Seventh and Eighth
Avenues in New York City. The hotel is built entirely on air rights over the
existing retail centers along 42nd Street above Madame Tussaud's and the AMC 25,
The Hotel is built over the AMC theater. There are actually no theaters in that first building, all the theaters are in the adjacent buildings.

Last edited by ramvid01; April 30th, 2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #98
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
For the building to block the view in the third picture in that exact direction, it would have to be built in the middle of that intersection.
It wouldn't completely cut off all westward views, but it would cut them off right about where that new tower is on the northern side of 42nd. It will also cast a huge shadow down 42nd street, which currently sees a lot of sun most of the year even with the taller buildings farther in towards 7th ave. I'm just sad i don't have more photos of the other part of the view you used to get now blocked by the elevator core, maybe you'd understand why it'll be missed. The dinky view down 42nd st isn't what i was talking about. If i find any photos of the part i'm emphasizing i'll post them so you have a better idea.

Edit: here they are...

- Andy

Last edited by metsfan; April 30th, 2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: add photos
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #99
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:
That isn't the building i'm talking about. For a better perspective i'll post some photos.
It's the same god damn building and same development. Ratner was asked by the city to integrate the theater and retail stores on that block with his Hilton hotel together in the same development. Only a dumb fool like you would be fooled into thinking it's not the same building because they have different facades. I think I just lost some IQ points just talking with you. Stupidity does seem to rub off.

Quote:
The "set--backs" are not going to allow westward views from the bottom balcony.
And it shouldn't allow any westward views at all. The AMC is located midblock. Do you understand the concept of "midblock" little boy? Because if you do, then you wouldn't make the kind of foolish assertions that you are doing now.

Quote:
I like this show, but i think this building could have been put over here instead of right up next to a short little theater/multiuse structure.
I have already told you before. If you put a building there you'd be blocking the view of the building next to it. The same god damn thing you are complaining about. Talking to you is like talking to a 3 year old.

Quote:
Once completed 11ts will block out this view completely, and of anything farther to the south/southwest.
As it should be. If you are midblock you cannot expect to have views to the side. It's like sitting in the aisle seat on the plane and expecting to see views out the window. That's not gonna happen. Fool.

Quote:
Sorry if disagreeing with a building being built is "stirring up shit".
It is if you give bullshit reasons like what you have been saying then that is stirring up shit. You have not given any logical reasons other than this bullshit 1) you and your girlfriend had a sunset view, 2) you can see the "palisades" from here, 3) the building is not personable

Quote:
Maybe you need to get a grip & leave me alone? Also, not a "teenager".
Which makes you even more pathetic if you're an adult.
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #100
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i think he's joking
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote