daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:11 AM   #101
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

I think you're right. A magnified version of that render shows no fire station next to the main tower, so this must be the view looking south down Bay Street.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:37 AM   #102
Bisonblight

Likes (Received): 18

As you can see in the render (from the City's website). There is no building going up beside the fire station. The red crane is for the larger building, which will face Bay Street, the crane above it for the podium, and the final crane for the smaller tower.

By the way. Where did the 210 figure come from? Following the negotiations (and OMB hearing) the larger building was set to 195 meters. Is the mechanical 15?
Bisonblight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:46 AM   #103
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, there is a concourse next to the fire station. Regarding the height, didn't they end up reducing the height of the second tower in exchange for a little more height in the main tower? The Toronto section has it listed at 210 m. Is this not correct?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #104
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

That is correct. This thread should be changed accordingly and moved to the skyscraper section. Moderators/administrators?

Also, isaidso is correct too. That lovely render shows the north view of the project looking south(east). The shorter tower is on Scollard, the (amenities?) pavilion is at the corner of Scollard and Bay and the taller, principal tower is at the corner of Yorkville and Bay.
Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM   #105
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

it is best to PM a mod.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:28 PM   #106
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12194

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin_yang View Post
it is best to PM a mod.
Always! I have just sent a note to one of the moderators of this section, so hopefully it will be moved soon.
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM   #107
Bisonblight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
Also, isaidso is correct too. That lovely render shows the north view of the project looking south(east). The shorter tower is on Scollard, the (amenities?) pavilion is at the corner of Scollard and Bay and the taller, principal tower is at the corner of Yorkville and Bay.
Yeah, I goofed on the smaller building. My apologies isaidso.

I still question the height. The 195m is the height AFTER the smaller tower was reduced. Intially, Menkes had counter proposed with a 179m for the larger tower, while leaving the smaller as first proposed. However, it was the smaller tower that was casting a shadow on the school. So it was reduced, and the larger tower allowed to be 195m. 205m was the intial proposal.
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM   #108
Taller, Better
Administrator

It is listed as 210 metres in the Toronto section. Last I heard that was the proposed height for the taller building.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:13 PM   #109
MissyC

oh my gosh, let's rock 'n roll boys... I love it... yiehow!!!! what a beauty.... Four Seasons rocks
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM   #110
isaidso
the new republic

Is this part still going to be built, or has it changed? Grand fountain with rose garden:

http://www.claudecormier.com/photos/...1_02_img_1.jpg

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM   #111
MissyC

they would better desing a four season's garden instead, luch and full of tree's and some douglas firs too.
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:36 AM   #112
Bisonblight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
It is listed as 210 metres in the Toronto section. Last I heard that was the proposed height for the taller building.
Still not convinced (it's a case study from my thesis, otherwise I wouldn't harp on it). At any rate, the mechanical would put it at roughly 200, at least, so it still warrants being in the skyscarper section.

isaidso: That's a pretty old rendering with the fountain in it. I think it came with the first proposal, but I might be wrong. However, given the amount of discussion that went into the design of the building, if those features were promised to residents and the City, they should still be included (though perhaps in different forms).
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:30 AM   #113
Taller, Better
Administrator

Filip and I today saw an old photo of Allen Gardens, with a fountain just like that. I wonder if they will fabricate one, or buy an old Victorian fountain and install it?
When the building is up, Bisonblight, I will personally scale one side with my tape measure and come up with an official height! LOL! Most buildings in this section probably include the "spire" on top (aka antennae or flagpole) in any case.
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:13 AM   #114
Bisonblight

Very true.

The fountain is actually from the 2006 drawings (the final proposal from Menkes et al), so may be included. Here's a link to a bunch of renders for the landscaping from the City's site.
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/fours...landscapes.htm

Unfortunately, the City's website for the project (http://www.toronto.ca/planning/fourseasons.htm#proposal) is a mismash of variations on the proposal and designs for the site, so it's hard to know what's what. They don't even have the final agreement between the developer and the City.
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM   #115
Marco Polo

what a great project - congratulations Toronto!!!
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM   #116
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
CAN SOME ONE MOVE THIS ONE?
This should be in the skycraper section, not the highrise section. The taller tower is 210 metres, not 195 metres.
Not according to the latest OMB decision: http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=469&page=23

I'm surprised that the title was changed already, without any proof of the tower being 210m....

There's a discussion at Skyscraperpage about this, and the only truly verified height is 195m, any other height is just speculation.

Quote:
AndrewJM3D posted this in the Toronto Highrise section. It gives a good idea about what is situated where on this site. I gather that the glass podium is where the red crane is, the shorter tower will rise behind it, and the main tower next to the fire station.

The same renders are posted in the first post of this thread.

Last edited by Skybean; September 1st, 2009 at 05:49 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM   #117
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, but it was re-posted to compare it to the emerging footprints on the construction site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonblight View Post
isaidso: That's a pretty old rendering with the fountain in it. I think it came with the first proposal, but I might be wrong. However, given the amount of discussion that went into the design of the building, if those features were promised to residents and the City, they should still be included (though perhaps in different forms).
Yes, you're right that it's quite an old render. I've never come across any variations on these plans or talk about any alterations to it. I was hoping someone might have some updates, details, and confirmation as this building is at grade.

I was surprised to see implementation of such an old style fountain, but I suppose if someone is going to do it, Four Seasons has a decent chance of making the finished product look good. In any case, it seems like they're making an effort to make their courtyard something special.

Last edited by isaidso; September 1st, 2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM   #118
Taller, Better
Administrator

Well, I am not going to ask to have it moved again. We will just have to live with the uncertainty, and wait till it is completed. In the meantime, count the antennae, and the pigeon sitting on top of the antennae, and let's move on!
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:11 AM   #119
Bisonblight

I think people assumed that the roof element above the final floor would remain the same when the height was increased from 179 to 195. At 179, the actual height was 193. In theory, the 195 building could be 209, but I haven't seen any official numbers (and who knows which height the OMB was refering too). It's quite possible that it will be over 200. I was just wondering if the 210 was based on fact or speculation.

Quote:
Yes, you're right that it's quite an old render. I've never come across any variations on these plans or talk about any alterations to it. I was hoping someone might have some updates, details, and confirmation as this building is at grade.
I haven't seen any new renderings in a long time, but there was substantial discussion between area residents, the City, and the developer leading up to the February 2006 proposals, of which those renderings belong, so the fountain and other elements may be part of the final agreement.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM   #120
MissyC

why they don't build a 80 or 85 storey tall skyscraper somewhere in the downtown core itself and a lit bit farther away like this one? That will suite the landscape and skyline much better I suppose!!!

Tags
toronto