daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #261
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2286

My pic collection of Slovak motorways :

D1 near Žilina

This time the same place seen from the old road

D1

Damn traffic jams (Kolona ) near Bratislava on D1

I like this pic

RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #262
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

It's D3, not D1 I mean this stretch near Zilina
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #263
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Thank you very much RipleyLV. Really nice photos. It's only pity you haven't made more photos of D1.

BTW, yes, it's D3, it's even written in that red rectangle on that sign, but don't worry, even our authorities are making mistakes with motorway numbering. In a country where are only 4 motorways it's quite stupid. This picture is from motorway D3, but the sign says something else:

Even Google Maps messed it and they show that D1 continues up to Žilina, while in reality it ends at this place: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4a275e0c81a8d9

Another example is this sign in Bratislava which navigates you on motorways D1, D2 and D3, problem is motorway D3 starts nearly 200 km from this place and at this sign should be rather motorway D4 which leads to Vienna.

All pictures are from www.dialnice.info
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #264
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

@Ripley LV: Really nice collection. See. Bratislava traffic jam on D1, especially at the beginning, or end of the weekend is bit horror sometimes. If you travel at Sunday 4.p.m. , for example, you could wait several kilometers on ring. The relief might be the section following up the Harbor bridge /Prístavný most/ up to Dúbravka, that´s my personnal experience.

The solution could be to widen Bratislava ring to 3+3, or more lanes, especially section from Harbor bridge to Zlaté piesky, or simply to construct second D4 ring. But this might not happen in the near future.

Bit off topic: How did you like SVK? Did you you make vacation here or you just on the way to the sea?
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #265
RipleyLV

Thanks! I wrote D1 near Žilina because motorway starts in Žilina, motorway ends in Bratislava (I didn't payed attention on that red rectangle on that sign). Also my map showed that D1 starts in Žilina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Bit off topic: How did you like SVK?
Firstly, I like your motorways and other major roads, very good quality. And I also liked Bratislava, from road seeing, you can feel that city develops.

Quote:
Did you make vacation here or you just on the way to the sea?
Well, I used SK as a transit to reach Italy . And that pic with the jam near Bratislava was taken Monday at 9:00 AM. It took 20 minutes to get out of Bratislava.

Last edited by RipleyLV; July 28th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #266
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Even Google Maps messed it and they show that D1 continues up to Žilina, while in reality it ends at this place: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4a275e0c81a8d9
I see, that's the place where that undone intersection (future D1-D3) was.
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #267
Qwert

Quote:
The solution could be to widen Bratislava ring to 3+3, or more lanes, especially section from Harbor bridge to Zlaté piesky, or simply to construct second D4 ring. But this might not happen in the near future.
Outer ring won't solve problems on inner ring, it will only postpone traffic collpase. Majority of traffic there is anyway local. Outer ring will help to transit significantly, but in few years after its finishing Harbour bridge will be jammed as it is now, if not more. What we need is upgrade of urban D1 on at least six lanes, what would be very expansive and of course improvement of Bratislava public transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Well, I used SK as a transit to reach Italy . And that pic with the jam near Bratislava was taken Monday at 9:00 AM. It took 20 minutes to get out of Bratislava.
Monday 9:00 and only 20 minutes? Then you are lucky guy. Of course traffic during summer is lower, but sometimes it could take you even one hour to get out of Bratislava.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #268
RipleyLV

Also that day there was an accident near Senec, there were two smashed cars on the emergency lane and the jam started at turn to Trnava, but 2 lanes where free, the jam was caused by drivers, because they where driving at 30 km/h and looking at those 2 cars. So I lost there time too .
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #269
RipleyLV

Yeah, about that widening. Why didn't you build 3x3 lanes in the first place? In Riga all planned higways will be 6 laned. Some of them are currently under construction, like the new Southern bridge project, Eastern highway and ... .
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #270
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

They could at least leave some space in the median to accomodate a future widening. They did that at many places in the Netherlands too.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #271
Timoth12

Quote:
Yeah, about that widening. Why didn't you build 3x3 lanes in the first place? In Riga all planned higways will be 6 laned. Some of them are currently under construction, like the new Southern bridge project, Eastern highway and ... .
Yeah, D1-D2 ring should have been built with the reserve for at least one additional lane. See, the Prievozská section has been opened in 2002 and the plans have been elaborated in the early 90ies, first studies even sooner. But the traffic flow grew enourmously and today´s planners will incorporate the reserve for the additional lane.

Btw, how is the situation of Southern bridge /Dienvidu tilts/? I think, this year should be opened.

Quote:
They could at least leave some space in the median to accomodate a future widening. They did that at many places in the Netherlands too.
They definitely should. But Bratislava-Trnava section will be upgraded to 6 lanes. The construction could start in 2009-2010. The problem is again, that during the time of highway construction, in 70ies, the reserve for the additional lane was not built. This is not the problem for the flat terrain sections, but for the bridges above and intersections, they have to be reconstructed as it is not enough space under for the additional lane. But new intersections, like Voderady, are constructed in respect to the future 6 lanes enlargement.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #272
RipleyLV

Quote:
Btw, how is the situation of Southern bridge /Dienvidu tilts/? I think, this year should be opened.
Construction works on Southern bridge will end in November and will be opened for traffic.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #273
Timoth12

Quote:
Construction works on Southern bridge will end in November and will be opened for traffic.
Great, congratulations. So 6lanes motorway bridge and also a bit of highway architecture I hope D4 highway bridge in Bratislava will be a feast for the eyes as well...
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #274
RipleyLV

^ Don't worry, they will think of something!
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #275
Qwert

Quote:
Also that day there was an accident near Senec, there were two smashed cars on the emergency lane and the jam started at turn to Trnava, but 2 lanes where free, the jam was caused by drivers, because they where driving at 30 km/h and looking at those 2 cars. So I lost there time too .
There are accidents nearly everyday.

Quote:
They definitely should. But Bratislava-Trnava section will be upgraded to 6 lanes. The construction could start in 2009-2010. The problem is again, that during the time of highway construction, in 70ies, the reserve for the additional lane was not built. This is not the problem for the flat terrain sections, but for the bridges above and intersections, they have to be reconstructed as it is not enough space under for the additional lane. But new intersections, like Voderady, are constructed in respect to the future 6 lanes enlargement.
6 lanes from Bratislava to Trnava would be great, but it wouldn't help in direction to Bratislava, since the city itself will still remain bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
No reserve for 2x3, it should have been built 2x3 with reserve for 2x4. There were even plans for 2x3 motorway in Bratislava, but elections were approaching and prime minister decided construction must start ASAP, so they used the old 2x2 plan what was waste of money.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #276
RipleyLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
6 lanes from Bratislava to Trnava would be great
Agree. Hopefully, trucks will not ride one after second, there must be a permitted passing!
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #277
Qwert

Quote:
Agree. Hopefully, trucks will not ride one after second, there must be a permitted passing!
It's actually quite likely since the traffic growth will be enormous. You know, Bratislava has extremely eccentric position within Slovakia and almost all traffic between the rest of Slovakia and our capital has to use D1 Bratislava - Trnava. Trnava is the place where is the interchange of the most important Slovak motorway D1 and the most important expressway R1 which connect majority of Slovakia (except regions northern and south-eastern from Bratislava) with the capital. When the rest of the country is connected with the capital by a single 2x2 motorway it's pretty bad situation. Not to mention D1 is not only transit motorway, but it's used also by commuters.

This is why upgrade of road I/61 between Bratislava and Senec on 2x2 lanes is planned as well as brand new expressway Bratislava - Senec - Sereď, there should be also outer ring and mentioned upgrade of D1 on 6 lanes. Needed is also expressway R7 Bratislava - Dunajská Streda - Nové Zámky - Lučenec. Only all those projects together will help, but the question is: When?
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #278
Timoth12

Well, I just read this thread thouroughly from the beginning and I have to thank Qwert for the excellent job, very good information, answers and fine discussion constributions.
As I am almost mad in the highways generally, I will just put the information I feel should belong to Slovakian highways thread, hope Qwert, it´fine like that. Sometimes, however, we could not have the same opinion, but it should not be that bad at all...

As Qwert already mentioned, PPP highway project is not only biggest /in volume/ from PPP projects in the country, but also the biggest from the highway projects. Special web about PPP in Slovakia has been createe, so you can follow the latest news, of course in English.
www.asociaciappp.sk

Latest news from July 14:
Quote:
The concession dialogue will start in the second PPP tender this week, according to the Transport Ministry. Four participants take part in the tender for the construction and operation of three stretches of the R1 dual carriageway between Nitra and Tekovske Nemce. The concession dialogue should last for about 5-6 weeks. At the same time, the concession dialogue in the first PPP tender is being finished (D1 highway between Martin and Presov). The outcome should be known in about 2-3 weeks. In the third PPP tender for the D1 stretch between Zilina and Martin, in which four participants take part, the names of the participants which passed the conditions should be known by the end of July or beginning of August.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #279
Qwert

Thank you Timoth12. I can't wait to see more details about PPP motorways.
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM   #280
Qwert

D1 Sverepec - Vrtižer

Few photos from U/C section of D1 through the city of Považská Bystrica:

Map from http://www.highways.sk

Quote:
Originally Posted by .oreo. View Post
I have some promised photos for you - unfortunately not from PB castle (coz of rainy weather and therefore very slippery way to it) but just from the building site. Please take this as sort of tune up before real photoreport.

Sorry for quality of the pictures...

Last edited by Qwert; August 2nd, 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Tags
motorways