daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #2921
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

On the other side, using national money for projects that could be financed by the EU would be very stupid.

Ideally, to speed up the construction, the whole national lot should be used as co financing, to maximize the inflow of the EU money. The interim financing should then be done via debt.

We also should not forget that the cohesion money are a mere substitute for the money that flows from the EE countries due to their EU membership.

mcarling liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2922
definitivo

Likes (Received): 46

...and Turany - Hubova ( nobody writes about this part ) ?
definitivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #2923
i15

Likes (Received): 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is the annual road budget of Slovakia, not counting EU contributions?
I don't know exactly, but the biggest project build without EU contribution or PPP since 2007 was R3 Trstená bypass: 6km, half profile, less than 50 mil €.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
On the other side, using national money for projects that could be financed by the EU would be very stupid.
yes, but not every project could be financed (e.g. northern R3) and majority of funds in 2014-2020 period is reserved for core ten-t, that's bad news for R2 and R4
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #2924
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
yes, but not every project could be financed (e.g. northern R3) and majority of funds in 2014-2020 period is reserved for core ten-t, that's bad news for R2 and R4
Yes, but I think one should use the EU money as a priority as long as it is available. I don't know about the importance of R4 and R2 but I would say that their importance is not that high compared to the lost opportunity if you don't use the EU money. The EU funds won't be available for ever.

The logic is as this. With 30 % national co-financing you can build more than 3 times as much if you put that money in the EU supported projects.

Another thing is, that by using EU money you pump the money to the local economy, while if you use the national money, you give up on this. It is the equivalent of the money that flows in the economy through export. Giving up on them would be simply stupid. With 30 % national co-financing, every euro spent by the national government equals to more than 3 euros being pumped into the economy. It has much better economy than support of export oriented FDIs in fact (certainly in 5 years term, given that the construction is done by domestic suppliers).

Look also at the tax economy of such arrangement. If the government fully finances the project, it will get back on taxes some 20-30 % maybe. If it co-finances the project by 30 %, that is otherwise financed by the EU money, it will most probably collect all the costs back in taxes quite soon. Thus so to say constructing for free.

It would actually make perfect sense to borrow the whole amount to finance the EU financed projects. Part will be refunded by the EU, and the rest will come back in the taxes anyway. And you still could be using the ordinary budget for the construction of roads that are not EU financed.

Looking at the situation in the Czech Republic I see it as completely lost opportunity, comparing this with Poland is striking. It is almost 5 years lost for the CZ.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #2925
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

The slow progress in the Czech Republic is remarkable indeed. It will take many decades to complete the network as it is planned today. They seriously need to increase the construction volume.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #2926
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
The slow progress in the Czech Republic is remarkable indeed. It will take many decades to complete the network as it is planned today. They seriously need to increase the construction volume.
Well now there is also a slow trend here in the Czech Republic to build less and to reconstruct / modernize more as some important main roads and highways were in a bad condition for a long time (D1,D11,D2,R4,R7,...)
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #2927
SKroads

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Ok, apparently one carriageway but the length is 10.8km: km0 - km1.2 1x2, km1.2 - km1.7 2x2, km1.7 - km 10.8 1x2!
"v úseku km 0,000 – 1,200 sa rýchlostná cesta nebude realizovať,"
km 0,0 - 1,2 expressway will not be build/realized
Section length is officially 10.765 km , but under construction is only 9.565 km.

MichiH liked this post
SKroads no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #2928
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2531

Quote:
What is the annual road budget of Slovakia, not counting EU contributions? I was wondering how many motorways a country like Slovakia could construct if there wasn't any EU funding. I have a feeling many eastern EU countries have become complacent with an extremely low domestic road budget, because the EU funds so much.
NDS' (a state owned company building and maintaining motorway and expressway network) 2013 budget was 885.87 mln. €, incomes from the funds of EU were 373.33 mln. €. Budget only for construction was 654.4 mln. €, which consists from:

Investment funding from state budget: 209.11 mln. €
Co-financing to EU funds from the state budget: 65.88 mln. €
EU funds: 373.33 mln. €
Own and other sources: 5.28 mln. €

This means majority of money used for construction were from the EU - 373.33 mil., while from the other sources it was 280.27 mil. Of course money from the EU don't come entirely for free, between 2004 and 2012 Slovakia payed EU 4.56 bln. € and received 8.54 bln. €, so every euro from EU funds costed us 53 cents.

IMO it's a pity we don't use much larger portion of the EU funds for investments into infrastructure. Majority of the EU funds are wasted since we either don't manage to use them at all or they are used for useless projects or they are used on overpriced projects and thus stolen. Using the EU funds for investments into infrastructure has measurable positive impacts. Although not 100 % of the money are used effectively, many other projects financed from the EU funds are pure waste of money.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #2929
Qwert

D1 bypas of Martin (Dubná Skala - Turany)

Photos by pau-chin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau-chin View Post
D1 Martin - Turiec

PhirgataZFs1694, Moravian, bogdymol liked this post
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #2930
bzbox

Likes (Received): 135

Curvy like the near river
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2931
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some older pictures (from 2010) that I shot in north-western part of Slovakia. Pictures are from road E75 (SK road 11) between the border with Czech Republic near Cadca and the town of Zilina:

Horelica tunnel (605 m):

This is near Zilina:

I've also added few pictures of the same road, across the border into Czech Republic.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

crimio, Qwert, volodaaaa, Moravian, Luki_SL and 1 others liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #2932
i15

what is expected to open this year:

D1 Jánovce - Levoča; 9,0 km; 06/2014 ...(they should made it this year)
R2 Žiar nad Hronom bypass; 6,6 km; 11/2014 ...(it's 24 months after they started and I haven't seen construction progress, we'll see...)
D1 Dubná Skala - Turany; 16,4 km; 12/2014 ...(current deadline is 31.12.2014, we'll see...)

and also minor project D1 Beharovce exit upgrade to 2+2; 0,8 km, 09/2014 (or sooner)
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM   #2933
i15

Another PPP project is getting more and more realistic, it will consist of D4 and R7 near Bratislava. More precisely:

D4: D2 Jarovce - D1 Vajnory - 502 Rača
R7: D1 Bajkalská street ("Prievoz") - D4 "Ketelec" - 63 Dunajská Lužná - 63 Holice

There will be strong pressure to put it in construcion before spring 2016's general election...

Let's hope it will be succesful, since 1st and 3rd project failed due to lack of money from banks.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:24 PM   #2934
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

D1 Fričovce - Svinia. Imagery is dated 19-08-2013

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2935
i15

good finding, high percentage of viaducts is quite visible
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2936
Qwert

I have never realised how close to built-up area this motorway is. I guess it will be full of noise barriers.
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #2937
Qwert

It seems Slovakia will finally abandon outdated Grotesk font on its signs and will start to use TERN instead. New technical norm should be issued in March, but there are already first signs using TERN.

Source: http://www.dialnice.info/gallery/album.php?album_id=65

volodaaaa, Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #2938
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Is it official? Anyway... GREAT NEWS!

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #2939
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Is it official? Anyway... GREAT NEWS!
It should be official in March.
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #2940
i15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I have never realised how close to built-up area this motorway is. I guess it will be full of noise barriers.
I'm not sure about sound barriers, motorway is located above villages (on the hill), similar to Fričovce bypass...

Anyway, here are the plans for new projects in 2014. First, to finish tenders:

D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala
D3 Žilina Strážov - Brodno
R2 Zvolenská Slatina - Pstruša

And new tenders planned in autumn 2014:

R3 Tvrdošín - Nižná, 5,2km half profile, 84 mil.€ (possible only if using state budget money)
D3 Čadca - Svrčinovec, 5,7km, 187,1mil. € (realistic and let's hope they'll include 2km of R5 to CZ border)
D1 Budimír - Bidovce, 14,4km, 217,7 mil. € (possible after feasibility study)
D1 Prešov west - south, 7,9km, 339,5 mil € ( I don't believe it)

MichiH liked this post

Tags
motorways