daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM   #281
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

D1 Sverepec - Vrtižer (again)

More photos from the concrete forest, sorry, motorway in Považská Bystrica from www.highways.sk











Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM   #282
Timon91
Error
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: just outside Germany
Posts: 5,783
Likes (Received): 46

Thanks for the update
__________________
My Flickr account.
Some of my photoseries: Northern Ireland, Prague, Boston, Alaska part 1, 2, 3, Smoggy Moscow, Warsaw, Wrocław, Kiev, Donetsk, Odessa and Chişinău.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #283
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68


How much is being spent to elevate that highway above that floodplain like that?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #284
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

@ H123Laci below: My thoughts exactly. Not only is the inital investment of this elevated freeway expensive, it's also expensive to maintain, and much more expensive to replace in say 60 years.

EDIT: This one was posted after the post below me.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #285
H123Laci
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Budapest, HUN
Posts: 1,647
Likes (Received): 3

and why isn't it built on an embankment? (next to the embankment of the river)
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #286
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

As you can see on the map of the section, Považská Bystrica bypass, northern section, is situated between Váh water channel and the river Váh. The reason, why it is elevated, is geology, if the highway is running through boggy terrain, it must be elevated, either by constructing constructing embankment, or estacade. If the ground under just contains too much water, the question is, how high the embankment should be and possibly is the partial estavade the solution, which is this case. Also the ecologists together with deputies of Považská Bystrica have a word by this motorway location.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #287
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

I should probably wait until the next page will upload, but I could not resist, just have to post some panoramatic pictures from Slovakian highways, here you go:



Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #288
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

How much is being spent to elevate that highway above that floodplain like that?

Mike
Cost of 9.6 km long section Sverepec - Vrtižer is estimated on EUR 300 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
@ H123Laci below: My thoughts exactly. Not only is the inital investment of this elevated freeway expensive, it's also expensive to maintain, and much more expensive to replace in say 60 years.

EDIT: This one was posted after the post below me.
Initial investments are quite low in comparison with other variants of this motorway which had many tunnels. In this part of Slovakia you cannot built cheap motorway. I only think they could have left some space for 6 lanes. In budget of this project those few millions more would mean nothing. Now I cannot imagne how it will be upgraded.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #289
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
I should probably wait until the next page will upload, but I could not resist, just have to post some panoramatic pictures from Slovakian highways, here you go:
Second picture is from Zvolen, but from where is the first one? I only know it's R1 in river Hron valley.

Last edited by Qwert; August 5th, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #290
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Second picture is from Zvolen, but from where is the first one? I only know it's R1 in rover Hron valley.
That´s it expressway R1. It would be probably difficult to make Guess the highway section on Slovak highway forum, as many of us know most of the sections Second one is Zvolen, first one is from Šášovské podhradie-Budča section, on other side of the Hron river is Trnavá hora village.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #291
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
That´s it expressway R1. It would be probably difficult to make Guess the highway section on Slovak highway forum, as many of us know most of the sections Second one is Zvolen, first one is from Šášovské podhradie-Budča section, on other side of the Hron river is Trnavá hora village.
Thank you.

Considering how few motorways and expressways we have it's not a problem to know almost every single kilometre.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #292
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Thank you.

Considering how few motorways and expressways we have it's not a problem to know almost every single kilometre.
Qwert, we don´t have a real network yet, how some countries of our size might have, but currently it´s about 540 km of highways and expressways and another ca. 69 km u/c. Additionally, D1+R1 PPP projects amount to ca. 164 km under PPP negotiations. Not to count the sections, like Žarnovica-Šášovské podhradie 2nd stage, Studenec-Behárovce, Svrčinovec-Skalité, etc. where the approvals are in final stage and construction should start this or next year...

Last edited by Timoth12; August 5th, 2008 at 02:27 AM.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #293
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Qwert, we don´t have a real network yet, how some countries of our size might have, but currently it´s about 540 km of highways and expressways and another ca. 69 km u/c. Additionally, D1+R1 PPP projects amount to ca. 164 km under PPP negotiations. Not to count the sections, like Žarnovica-Šášovské podhradie 2nd stage, Studenec-Behárovce, Svrčinovec-Skalité, etc. where the approvals are in final stage and construction should start this or next year...
540 km? Well it depends what roads you count. But exact figure is not important. We need at least another 500 km of motorways and expressways to have some real network. For now we have only one finished motorway - 80 km long D2 after 34 years of construction. The longest continuous stretch is D1 Bratislava - Sverepec with some 165 km after 33 years of construction. I know that mainly post revolution times weren't the best time for big constructions but it's 19 years after revolution and we have a lot to catch up. I hope the PPP projects will kick construction speed higher. Only after whole R1 and D1 Bratislava - Košice will be finished we can start to speak about creation of motorway network.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #294
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
540 km? Well it depends what roads you count. But exact figure is not important. We need at least another 500 km of motorways and expressways to have some real network. For now we have only one finished motorway - 80 km long D2 after 34 years of construction. The longest continuous stretch is D1 Bratislava - Sverepec with some 165 km after 33 years of construction. I know that mainly post revolution times weren't the best time for big constructions but it's 19 years after revolution and we have a lot to catch up. I hope the PPP projects will kick construction speed higher. Only after whole R1 and D1 Bratislava - Košice will be finished we can start to speak about creation of motorway network.
In 540 km number are all roads, officially designated as motorways and axpressways. Additionally about 15 km of the first class roads, which officially does not bear the sign for motorway, or expressway, but are constructed in such parameters. See, e.g. the Zvolen bypass on this page posted picture, before it was part of R2 section, now, as NDS authority decided to lead west-east bypass of Zvolen north from the city, it is just a four lane road with expressway parameters.

The point is, that we missed the main boom in the highway construction, which occured in Europe and U.S. in 50ies and 60ies. If you consider, that first highway plans in Czechoslovakia have been elaborated in early 30ies, communists stopped the construction after 1948, they renew the highways building in late 60ie and early 70ies, it is about 20 years loss of the time and also early 90ies were not favourable for the highways here.

Very important is IMO to connect all 8 regions /Bratislava, Košice, Trnava, Trenčín, Žilina. Banská bystrica, Prešov/ to the capital, then interconnet between them. Each of the eight has now several km of motorways/expressways, D1 and R1 will solve collision free connection of all eight to the capital, but also to the second biggest Košice, R2 is additional alternative route.

D1, D3 and R1 will be constructed for sure, also R2. Let´s just count a little, if PPP projects will run without major delay, we could have in 2012 at least 800 km of highways and expressways. Then we will aproach the figure, which have e.g. Denmark /ca. 1080km of highways now, similar size and population/. We have a lot of mountains, but Danes quite a few islands, so the costs could be comparable.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #295
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
In 540 km number are all roads, officially designated as motorways and axpressways. Additionally about 15 km of the first class roads, which officially does not bear the sign for motorway, or expressway, but are constructed in such parameters. See, e.g. the Zvolen bypass on this page posted picture, before it was part of R2 section, now, as NDS authority decided to lead west-east bypass of Zvolen north from the city, it is just a four lane road with expressway parameters.
I think your source is this thread on www.dialnice.info

But, they counted even some roads I don't think that should be there, but nevermind. What I do mind is they counted also half profile sections. I think they should be counted separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
The point is, that we missed the main boom in the highway construction, which occured in Europe and U.S. in 50ies and 60ies. If you consider, that first highway plans in Czechoslovakia have been elaborated in early 30ies, communists stopped the construction after 1948, they renew the highways building in late 60ie and early 70ies, it is about 20 years loss of the time and also early 90ies were not favourable for the highways here.
Yes, obviously we cannot compare our "network" with Western Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Very important is IMO to connect all 8 regions /Bratislava, Košice, Trnava, Trenčín, Žilina. Banská bystrica, Prešov/ to the capital, then interconnet between them. Each of the eight has now several km of motorways/expressways, D1 and R1 will solve collision free connection of all eight to the capital, but also to the second biggest Košice, R2 is additional alternative route.
I cannot agree more. But, this should have been done couple of years ago. According to what Igor Choma, CEO of National Motorway Company said yesterday on TA3 in Téma dňa magazine, R1 (that means connection of Banská Bystrica with capital) will be finished in 2010. D1 which already connects Trnava and Trenčín with Bratislava should be finished up to Žilina in 2010 as well. The rest of D1 up to Košice will be finished in 2012, some tunnles maybe in 2013, but there will be still missing bypass of Prešov (Slovakia's third biggest city). In other words complete to 10 of Slovakia's biggest cities (not only seats of regions) will be connected with Bratislava, but from ten 30 it will be still 17 cities only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
D1, D3 and R1 will be constructed for sure, also R2. Let´s just count a little, if PPP projects will run without major delay, we could have in 2012 at least 800 km of highways and expressways.
I think, or rather I hope plans will be modified a bit. Of course D1 and R1 will remain the biggest priorities what I can only agree with. But, more emphasis should be put on Western Slovakia as well. Motorways and expressways around Bratislava are desperately needed. There are also some other busy roads in Western part of the country. Of course, we cannot forget about D3 or R2, but whole R2, not only it's southern part from Zvolen to Košice. I think this is what our government and National Motorway Company is going to do. I only wish highways around Bratislava were speeded up even more. In their case what is now disadvantage - huge traffic volumes can become an advantage - they could be built using PPP projects which would be paid from toll only (not from state budget) and so their construction won't slow down construction of other roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Then we will aproach the figure, which have e.g. Denmark /ca. 1080km of highways now, similar size and population/. We have a lot of mountains, but Danes quite a few islands, so the costs could be comparable.
Well, we need little bit more dense network. When I'm looking at western part of Denmark, it looks quite empty. And even though they have some islands, I think cost of motorways in Slovakia is and mainly will be a bit higher.

Last edited by Qwert; August 6th, 2008 at 01:31 AM.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #296
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
But, they counted even some roads I don't think that should be there, but nevermind. What I do mind is they counted also half profile sections. I think they should be counted separately. .
Well, half profile sections are alltogether around 36 km, what is about 6,6 % of all network, so it´s not that significant number anyway. D1 and R1 are and will be full profile only, even 3+3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I cannot agree more. But, this should have been done couple of years ago. According to what Igor Choma, CEO of National Motorway Company said yesterday on TA3 in Téma dňa magazine, R1 (that means connection of Banská Bystrica with capital) will be finished in 2010. D1 which already connects Trnava and Trenčín with Bratislava should be finished up to Žilina in 2010 as well. The rest of D1 up to Košice will be finished in 2012, some tunnles maybe in 2013, but there will be still missing bypass of Prešov (Slovakia's third biggest city). In other words complete to 10 of Slovakia's biggest cities (not only seats of regions) will be connected with Bratislava, but from ten 30 it will be still 17 cities only. .
Honestly, I have a strange feeling from the TV interview with Mr. Choma. I don´t think, the interview was anyhow prepared, there should be at least the points to be discussed. Moderator questions were very shallow, he should be definitely have more idea about anything about highways and roads.It just went like: "when this section will be finished/started". Obvioulsy confused Mr. Choma answered at his best, but I am not sure, whether in connection with reality.

For other points I agree more or less.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #297
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

Now, few shots from Košice expressway ring. In October should be finished the section Prešovská-Sečovská, 3 stage of reconstruction of this most driven spot in Košice. Thus the ring will be practically completed. Other parts are mostly finished. Cathegory of Košice ring is MS, width from 23,5 to 25,5. Pictures by arison, source: www.dialnice.info

Here they are:




Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #298
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Honestly, I have a strange feeling from the TV interview with Mr. Choma. I don´t think, the interview was anyhow prepared, there should be at least the points to be discussed. Moderator questions were very shallow, he should be definitely have more idea about anything about highways and roads.It just went like: "when this section will be finished/started". Obvioulsy confused Mr. Choma answered at his best, but I am not sure, whether in connection with reality.
Yes, it looked a bit messy and people who don't know much about motorways in Slovakia probably don't know much more then before. But, if you can "read between the lines" you can get some more information. For me the most important were those dates when particular sections should be finished, because this is the only thing which is not sure and he was at least trying to confirm some dates. So R1 D1 up to Žilina in 2010 and D1 up to Košice in 2012/2013.

Between the lines we can read that it's probably bypass of Strečno mountain pass which should be in 7 km long tunnel Višňové which will be completed in 2013 and thus Žilina will have to wait for bypass some 5 years. Another important thing which is obvious from that interview is that after 2010, construction of many other expressways will be speeded up. But, as I said, I still miss quicker construction around our capital.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #299
Timoth12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 976
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Yes, it looked a bit messy and people who don't know much about motorways in Slovakia probably don't know much more then before. But, if you can "read between the lines" you can get some more information. For me the most important were those dates when particular sections should be finished, because this is the only thing which is not sure and he was at least trying to confirm some dates. So R1 D1 up to Žilina in 2010 and D1 up to Košice in 2012/2013.

Between the lines we can read that it's probably bypass of Strečno mountain pass which should be in 7 km long tunnel Višňové which will be completed in 2013 and thus Žilina will have to wait for bypass some 5 years. Another important thing which is obvious from that interview is that after 2010, construction of many other expressways will be speeded up. But, as I said, I still miss quicker construction around our capital.
Well, "between the lines" you can read in some opening speech, or ceremony, national holiday, whatever.... It was just an interview for the spectators and drivers, not for the construction, economy, or transport specialists, or for the highway fans. Many questions, as you might noticed, posed the spectators by the phone and the moderator wanted just clear answers.

Just to see a bit reality, do you seriously believe R1 to be completed in 2010? First, no concession is for the Nitra bypass, so no complete, but almost complete R1 should be constructed. Secondly, the rest ca. 50 km runs through bit hilly, not that much, but still a hilly terrain, so the construction might take longer and is more demanding, than in a totally flat terrain. In July began the dialogue between Highway authority and contenders. Even Minister of Transport said, that January is the earliest date for the signing a cintract with the winner of the first PPP tender. R1 is in second PPP tender, so let´s be optimistic and let the signing the contract with the winner date April/May next year. There are about 19 months for the construction left and we should also deduct the winter, so minus additional 3 months. I wish I would be that optimist, I think one of the latest very good times was the construction of Polish A2 between Poznan and Strykow - 18 months alltogether for ca. 100 km section. So, looking at the mirror of the facts, I believe in soon completition of R1, not in 2010, but in 2012.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #300
Qwert
Moderator
 
Qwert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,409
Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Well, "between the lines" you can read in some opening speech, or ceremony, national holiday, whatever.... It was just an interview for the spectators and drivers, not for the construction, economy, or transport specialists, or for the highway fans. Many questions, as you might noticed, posed the spectators by the phone and the moderator wanted just clear answers.
The discussion could have been better deeper and more complex, but I don't think it was purpose of this about 15 minutes debate. Slovak motorways could be debated for hours and hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Just to see a bit reality, do you seriously believe R1 to be completed in 2010? First, no concession is for the Nitra bypass, so no complete, but almost complete R1 should be constructed. Secondly, the rest ca. 50 km runs through bit hilly, not that much, but still a hilly terrain, so the construction might take longer and is more demanding, than in a totally flat terrain. In July began the dialogue between Highway authority and contenders. Even Minister of Transport said, that January is the earliest date for the signing a cintract with the winner of the first PPP tender. R1 is in second PPP tender, so let´s be optimistic and let the signing the contract with the winner date April/May next year. There are about 19 months for the construction left and we should also deduct the winter, so minus additional 3 months. I wish I would be that optimist, I think one of the latest very good times was the construction of Polish A2 between Poznan and Strykow - 18 months alltogether for ca. 100 km section. So, looking at the mirror of the facts, I believe in soon completition of R1, not in 2010, but in 2012.
If there will no legal problems and stuff like that I consider year 2010 quite real. If it will be January 2011 it won't be catastrophe. Terrain is not totally flat there, but it's piece of cake in comparison with some D1 sections so technically it's not impossible. From where you got information that Nitra bypass is not part of the concession? I hear this for the first time, AFAIK all sections from Nitra West to Tekovské Nemce including Nitra southern bypass and feeder Nitra - Selenec should be built:






Maps from: www.ndsas.sk
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium