daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:55 PM   #3061
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A problem with the tendering process is the fact that it's very hard to reject an offer that appears to be too low. You need to have very good arguments to make such a case stick in court.

We've seen in the past that low tenders were rejected, appealed to in court, they got the job, but then couldn't deliver. That only slows the process down.
The contracts should be forged in such a way that if the contractors would not perform the government would get profit out of it. Bank guarantees are ideal for this. The contracts have to contain very good schedule and there has to be perfect overseeing of the works from the tendering authority. Simply said, you need high quality work on the side of the state authority in specifying the desired results, schedules, quality and guaranties. Then the low bids don't pose a problem anymore. You simply take the low bid.

You solve several problems at the same time by using bank guarantees in this. First, if the company does not perform, the contract cancels, government does not pay for not finished work and government gets instantly paid for any possible delays and additional costs it incurs. The new tendering can begin right away for a new contractor. The banks will perform throughout due diligence on whether the contractor is able to deliver, if they deem the contractor unsuitable, it won't be able to compete in the tender. In this way, there are two independent parties with interests of making the contractor delivering. The prices might get slightly higher due to the risk margin that the banks would charge though, but it is surely worth it as it moves the risk from the state authority.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:44 AM   #3062
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1746

Another sign with Tern font on.

CLICK HERE

The photo was taken by user expwy from dialnice.info site.

The old one is here:
https://www.google.sk/maps/@48.32228...4TsMcG3Zig!2e0

Have to say: FINALLY. Competent people have found out how to adapt the font size regarding the size of the sign and the word length of destination

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:07 PM   #3063
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The contracts should be forged in such a way that if the contractors would not perform the government would get profit out of it. Bank guarantees are ideal for this. The contracts have to contain very good schedule and there has to be perfect overseeing of the works from the tendering authority. Simply said, you need high quality work on the side of the state authority in specifying the desired results, schedules, quality and guaranties. Then the low bids don't pose a problem anymore. You simply take the low bid.

You solve several problems at the same time by using bank guarantees in this. First, if the company does not perform, the contract cancels, government does not pay for not finished work and government gets instantly paid for any possible delays and additional costs it incurs. The new tendering can begin right away for a new contractor. The banks will perform throughout due diligence on whether the contractor is able to deliver, if they deem the contractor unsuitable, it won't be able to compete in the tender. In this way, there are two independent parties with interests of making the contractor delivering. The prices might get slightly higher due to the risk margin that the banks would charge though, but it is surely worth it as it moves the risk from the state authority.
This is economically equivalent to requiring the government to buy and pay for an insurance policy that would pay the government if the contractor does not perform, with the price determined during the bidding stage. The extent to which your proposal above would inflate the cost should, in theory, be exactly the same as the cost for such insurance. If the risk reduction were worth the cost, somewhere in the world a government would be doing this.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #3064
volodaaaa

Came across some old photographs of Slovak motorways

D61 (now D1) somewhere near Trenčín, yet built in half-profile

D61 near Horná Streda exit

Bypass of Bratislava days prior to opening. Notice the missing motorway numbers which was not introduced that time.

D2 (current) Mlynská dolina exit. The construction of Sitina Tunnel had not even started yet.

One year later

Two years later

Four years later

Current state

pmaciej7, Attus, SRC_100, Moravian, Vallex and 2 others liked this post
Old June 11th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #3065
i15

Likes (Received): 608

http://ndsas.sk/aktuality-zacina-vys...u/44372s48521c

Finally! We have contract for D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala with 7460m tunnel Višňové. Price is 410mil.€ and total length is 13,5 km. Project should be finished in 2019

MichiH, JackFrost, Luki_SL, Qwert liked this post
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #3066
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

edit

Qwert liked this post

Last edited by albiman; June 12th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #3067
mirheldt

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiman View Post
edit

I'm quite curious, if this visualisation is any accurate by now or better, what is going to be like in real, when finished. (Since, yellow FIDIC)

Nowax liked this post
mirheldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #3068
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

I do not think this is the most recent update. The video is quite old. Maybe some changes could happen in technical equipment, or something but the variant, bridges, ...etc. still the same.
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #3069
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

The groundbreaking ceremony for both sections took place today: http://www.ta3.com/clanok/1042133/vy...h-kamenov.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
D3 Žilina Strážov - Brodno: contract with Eurovia SK a.s. was signed today, construction period is 3 years and price 254,9mil € without VAT. Basicly it's viaduct over Hričov dam and tunnel "Považský Chlmec", very hard and expensive section...
Quote:
about 30 days, it's defined exactly in contract, but I'm too lazy to check it
Quote:
http://ndsas.sk/aktuality-zacina-vys...u/44372s48521c

Finally! We have contract for D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala with 7460m tunnel Višňové. Price is 410mil.€ and total length is 13,5 km. Project should be finished in 2019
To be completed until December 2019, see project page: http://www.ndsas.sk/useky-lietavska-lucka---dubna-skala/44223s44344c.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #3070
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2532

Interesting comparison:

D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala: 13,5 km (includes 7.46 km tunnel), 410 mil. € (30,37 mil. €/km)
D3 Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno: 4.25 km (includes 2.21 km tunnel), 254,9 mil. € (59,97 mil €/km)
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #3071
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I have my doubts whether they can build a 7.5 km twin-tube tunnel for an average price of € 30 million/km. Of course they already did a lot of exploratory work since the pilot tube was bored in 2002.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #3072
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Interesting comparison:

D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala: 13,5 km (includes 7.46 km tunnel), 410 mil. € (30,37 mil. €/km)
D3 Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno: 4.25 km (includes 2.21 km tunnel), 254,9 mil. € (59,97 mil €/km)
I think it is comparing apples and oranges but....

D1 13.5km, 410 million €, 5.5 years construction time (30 million €/km; 75 million €/year; 2.5km/year).
D3 4.25km, 255 million €, 3.0 years construction time (60 million €/km; 85 million €/year; 1.4km/year).

MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #3073
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
This is economically equivalent to requiring the government to buy and pay for an insurance policy that would pay the government if the contractor does not perform, with the price determined during the bidding stage. The extent to which your proposal above would inflate the cost should, in theory, be exactly the same as the cost for such insurance. If the risk reduction were worth the cost, somewhere in the world a government would be doing this.
It is not equivalent to it because of the due diligence, different incentives and because of the fact that the government could not insure itself before the bidding process finished.

Simply financially said, in the case when the contracting companies have to provide the guaranties, they already individually bear the costs in the case of not succeeding in the tender. While if the government wants to insure itself, it would bear the costs of insuring itself taking into account all the possible winners and thus all possible scenarios. The risk premium would be already because of this just a fraction compared to the insurance.

Further on, the incentives and partnership relations are completely different. If the construction companies have to provide the guaranties, it is clear that even with a risk premium they charge, they would be the ultimate losers in a case of a failure. While with the government insured, the companies have little incentive to perform and the government has even less incentive to sit behind their backs during the construction. This would be reflected in the price of such an insurance. You need to put pressure on the construction company, which you fail to do with an insurance, but which you create with the required guaranties.

You could compare it with an insurance but it would have to be the construction companies that would insure themselves, not the government.

Last edited by Surel; June 17th, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #3074
Qwert

Quote:
I have my doubts whether they can build a 7.5 km twin-tube tunnel for an average price of € 30 million/km. Of course they already did a lot of exploratory work since the pilot tube was bored in 2002.
The tunnel is about 7.5 km long and the rest of the section is 6 km long. The tunnel itself will be more expensive than 30 mil./km }which is average for whole section) while the rest of the section will be cheaper per km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think it is comparing apples and oranges but....

D1 13.5km, 410 million €, 5.5 years construction time (30 million €/km; 75 million €/year; 2.5km/year).
D3 4.25km, 255 million €, 3.0 years construction time (60 million €/km; 85 million €/year; 1.4km/year).

The difference in construction period lengths is caused by the difference in tunnel lengths. Of course these section aren't perfectly comparable, but price difference is still striking.
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #3075
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Just to compare a similar length tunnel, the Oppdřlsstranda Tunnel in Norway is single tube, 7.430 meters long and cost € 125 million. A twin-tube tunnel would've been about double, so around € 250 million.

But Norwegian tunnels tend to be cheaper than elsewhere in Europe (blasting method). If you add the cost of a TBM (could be as much as € 50-80 million), and the cost of tunnel segments as opposed to bare rock, the cost could soar to over € 350 million for this similar length tunnel.

However, different geologic conditions make it difficult to make a useful comparison based on length alone. I think Slovakian soil is softer than the granite in Norway, which is less advantageous.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #3076
mirheldt

Likes (Received): 15

Here's a new video visualisating a section of D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BHJnOJAJbbg

Enjoy.

Last edited by mirheldt; June 20th, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
mirheldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:16 AM   #3077
Qwert

Quote:
Just to compare a similar length tunnel, the Oppdřlsstranda Tunnel in Norway is single tube, 7.430 meters long and cost € 125 million. A twin-tube tunnel would've been about double, so around € 250 million.

But Norwegian tunnels tend to be cheaper than elsewhere in Europe (blasting method). If you add the cost of a TBM (could be as much as € 50-80 million), and the cost of tunnel segments as opposed to bare rock, the cost could soar to over € 350 million for this similar length tunnel.

However, different geologic conditions make it difficult to make a useful comparison based on length alone. I think Slovakian soil is softer than the granite in Norway, which is less advantageous.
Geologic conditions in Slovakia are considerably different than those in Norway, therefore it's pretty much incomparable.

The 410 million price is let's say acceptable, although the cheapest offer for D1 Lietavská Lúčka - Dubná Skala section, was only 338,29 mil. € (25*mil. €/km), this bid was of course excluded.

Problem is mentioned D3 section. The cheapest offer for D3 Strážov - Brodno was 163,4 mil. € (38.4 mil. €/km), however now it's 255 mil. € (60 mil. €/km) what is enormous difference.
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3078
volodaaaa

Slovak newspapers just waken up :-) (D4)

http://aktualne.atlas.sk/exkluzivne-.../dnes/doprava/

SRC_100 liked this post
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #3079
plusfast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Slovak newspapers just waken up :-) (D4)

http://aktualne.atlas.sk/exkluzivne-.../dnes/doprava/

For those amongst us who can not read Slovak, could you give a shortened translation of what it says there?
plusfast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #3080
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusfast View Post
For those amongst us who can not read Slovak, could you give a shortened translation of what it says there?
The article doesn't say almost anything, but it contains some renders of Bratislava outer ring D4.

Resting place Rovinka

Interchange Ketelec (D4 x R7)

Bridge above Danube

Railway Bratislava - Rajka (HU) underneath the interchange Rusovce (D4 x I/2)

Interchange Rusovce (D4 x I/2)

The biggest interchange - Ivanka sever (North) (D4 x D1), the motorway also crosses Bratislava - Budapest railway

Interchange Čierna Voda, IMO totally useless interchange

Interchange Rača (D4 x II/507), interchage is placed only on one side of II/502, because on the other side there is Bratislava - Košice railway, the motorway will continue in tunnel Karpaty (9 km) right after this interchange

ChrisZwolle, Richard_P, SRC_100, Luki_SL liked this post

Tags
motorways