daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #3141
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Well, it's not impossible, it would however require major construction works.
Major? In Germany they added acceleration/deceleration lines without major works, they even added SOS places here and there. And terrain NE of Bratislava doesn't appear to me difficult.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #3142
Nido

Likes (Received): 29

there's 1.8km long bridge "Ruzinovska estakada" with two interchanges on it, there's no space for additional lane and that's the main reason why it cannot be easily done. one of the interchanges on older aerial photos:

Nido no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #3143
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

Is the D1 Spissky Stvrtok - Levoca in the end of October be finished?
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #3144
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Slovak Republic wants to introduce electronic vignettes to replace paper ones from the next year. According to the considerations of National motorway company, both types of vignettes should be kept for the first six months.

It should be like transition period while the drivers will get used to. Currently, the National motorway company is looking for the supplier who will be in charge of providing complex services of retrieval, evidence and checking of e-vignettes. The assumed price for the contract is 35 35 million Eur excluding VAT.
Source: http://ekonomika.sme.sk/c/7353354/di...u.html?ref=trz

Edit: the prices remain the same: Annual 50 Eur, monthly 14 Eur, weekly 10 Eur

mcarling liked this post

Last edited by volodaaaa; August 27th, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:30 PM   #3145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Vignettes are a bureaucratic hassle and don't bring in any substantial revenue (after system cost deduction). The projected 2014 vignette revenue is only € 70 million. It does not generate any meaningful revenue for motorway construction. Slovakia could construct maybe 5 km of motorway every year with the vignette revenue.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #3146
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Vignettes are a bureaucratic hassle and don't bring in any substantial revenue (after system cost deduction). The projected 2014 vignette revenue is only € 70 million. It does not generate any meaningful revenue for motorway construction. Slovakia could construct maybe 5 km of motorway every year with the vignette revenue.
Yes, the revenue is ridiculous. But the whole road construction in Slovakia is ridiculous. Wasting of words.

On the other hand it is a mystery what would competent people do with higher revenues. I am afraid the basic hypothesis to allocate the resources to motorway construction would be refused.

Old August 27th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #3147
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The problem is making people pay who are only transiting the country and using the infrastructure without contributing in any way.

Having said this, I really don't know why the EU doesn't put some pressure on vignette-issuing countries to start issuing a standardised short-term vignette valid in all countries.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #3148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The problem is making people pay who are only transiting the country and using the infrastructure without contributing in any way.
It's mostly a political problem. Foreign cars (we're not talking about trucks here) have an extremely limited wear and tear on the roads, so the whole 'problem' may be in the range of a few million euros per year. Vignette systems already make foreigners pay a disproportional high share of all toll revenue.

But if you subtract distribution and enforcement cost, the additional income vignettes generate is very small, and not a gamechanger in highway construction.

Other vignette countries like Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia and Hungary get a high share of toll income from truck, usually in the 60 - 75% range. However, Slovakia has less transit traffic, thus less truck toll income than other countries.
Old August 27th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3149
i15

Likes (Received): 612

according to current plans, 4 tenders will be anounced in Q4

D3 Čadca-Svrčinovec
R3 Tvrdošín - Nižná
D1 Prešov west - Prešov south
D1 Budimír - Bidovce (part of Košice bypass)

SRC_100 liked this post
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #3150
bewu1

Likes (Received): 2056

This year, I drove through Slovakia from SK/H border near Kosice to SK/PL border near Svidnik. I avoided the motorways, since the cost of cheapest vignette does not justify the use of motorway on this section. I would use the motorway in Slovakia if the motorway would be paid as it is in Croatia.
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
I would use the motorway in Slovakia if the motorway would be paid as it is in Croatia.
You mean like paying € 45 for a trip on D1 from Bratislava to Košice?

Vignettes are expensive for short trips on motorways, but in most cases a longer trip is cheaper with vignette. For example in Switzerland; where a return trip on A2 with typical distance-based tolls would cost approximately 2 times more than the current annual vignette.
Old August 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #3152
ANDi_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Major? In Germany they added acceleration/deceleration lines without major works, they even added SOS places here and there. And terrain NE of Bratislava doesn't appear to me difficult.
They were talking about the part in town, not about the shitty 3 lane on NE.
ANDi_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #3153
Remi55

Likes (Received): 34

Come on the vignette are not expensive and honestly from Barwinek to Kosice you don't need to use the motorways the distance isn't that big if you only drive there once a year

But I also think that the annual vignette is the cheapest option if you use the motorways a few times a year in Slovakia.

One stupid question that I have for a long time in mind is what happened idea to set speed limit to 160 km/h on part of D1 ?? There was once an announcement from politics about this ?
Remi55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #3154
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi55 View Post

One stupid question that I have for a long time in mind is what happened idea to set speed limit to 160 km/h on part of D1 ?? There was once an announcement from politics about this ?
Yes, exactly as you said The next elections are planned in 2016. We have to wait until the politicians bring the topic up

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #3155
i15

Likes (Received): 612

majority of people doesn't even use 130 limit to the max, so it's not necessary.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #3156
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
majority of people doesn't even use 130 limit to the max, so it's not necessary.
It is not necessary but some section really are suitable for that (Zilina - Povazska Bystrica, Povazska Bystrica - Nove Mesto nad Vahom). I see no problem in placing 160 kph sign. It is maximum speed limit, not minimum (yeah Slovak drivers often confuse that ).

Old August 28th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #3157
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
This year, I drove through Slovakia from SK/H border near Kosice to SK/PL border near Svidnik. I avoided the motorways, since the cost of cheapest vignette does not justify the use of motorway on this section. I would use the motorway in Slovakia if the motorway would be paid as it is in Croatia.
One of the worst aspects of vignette/OBU based tolling is just that. It would make far more sense to have a cheap transit vignette available - valid for one day (or even just 2 hours) and priced at around 4 Euro for such a section.

I remember speaking to a truck driver in a petrol station in Bratislava who was completely bewildered by the way that he had to go through all the hassle of getting an OBU from the Rajka border crossing in order to make a delivery in Bratislava.

Likewise with the D4 being tolled - who in their right mind would buy a vignette for that section when you can just run through Kittsee and through the old Jarovce local border crossing?

I don't mind buying a vignette for Zilina-Bratislava, but shorter runs (such as Kuty-Bratislava) come in ridiculously expensive for one way trips. I've forgotten the number, but I seem to recall that someone doing a one-way trip on that bit of road would paying around 0.25c/km for a car - way, way over the top.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #3158
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
It is not necessary but some section really are suitable for that (Zilina - Povazska Bystrica, Povazska Bystrica - Nove Mesto nad Vahom). I see no problem in placing 160 kph sign. It is maximum speed limit, not minimum (yeah Slovak drivers often confuse that ).
That is dangerous.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #3159
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

160km/h would be a very reasonable limit on some sections of the D1, but not all.

Blackraven liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #3160
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A groundbreaking ceremony will be held tomorrow for the construction of R2 Zvolen-East - Pstruša.

http://www.ndsas.sk/aktuality-vystav...t/44372s48664c

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post

Tags
motorways