daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3261
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Don't forget the financing cost. A 30 year bond payment means you'll spend twice the original amount.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #3262
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDi_ View Post
Government expertise says...
Building costs 1.325 billion for 59 km, which is roughly 22.4 millions per 1 km. That's ok (metropolitan area, new bridge over Danube, big interchanges, somewhere 3+3 lanes).

The problem is, the government plans a payment of 130-150 millions yearly for period of 30 years. And that's 3.9-4.5 billions all together, what is 3 times more than the building costs!!!
Imagine it as if the government took a mortgage and would be paying it off in the next 30 years. With a 4,5 % interest they would pay around 2x the original price in the actual money. If you would sell a 30 years bond you would pay around 3.7x times the original price in the actual money paid altogether. Ten euro now is worth ten euro and forty five cents over a year with such interest.

Money has a different value in time. We could discuss whether the interest that the PPP contractor charges is appropriate or not, but for that you would need to know more than the total payment the government will have to make.

Even if the government would borrow the money on the money market and tendered the construction and paid with the borrowed money, it would have to repay the loan with the interest. The interest easily makes the total payment two times or three times the amount of the borrowed sum.

The contractor could use its own money for the financing of the project, but this is mostly not the case. It has to take a loan. The problem with PPP is mostly in the basic fallacy that a private contractor is able to get a lower interest rate than a government. It is most of the time not true. The second problem is that the contractor will always add a surcharge to the interest rate under which it takes the loan and charge this premium to the government. Factually, there is really no way that the PPP project could be cheaper because of the financing.

The only way a PPP project could become cheaper (at least project like this, when it is financed by installments paid by the government and not directly from the toll that would be collected by the operator - i.e. total privatization of the whole motorway) is savings on the side of construction and maintenance. But almost exactly the same savings are possible when the construction and maintenance are tendered directly.

PPP projects are mainly a way how to hide actual debt of the government, not much else. As we see also in this example, it is also a way how to make the whole operation less transparent, because it harder to come to the actual data about the prices, maintenance costs, financial operations etc.

We could argue that these days the government could get its money very, very cheap (i.e. with very low interests). I am quite confident that much cheaper than any private corporation. However, governments prefer to hide their true borrowings via PPP projects.

Qwert liked this post

Last edited by Surel; January 29th, 2015 at 06:32 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #3263
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The main benefit of a PPP is that it allows large projects to be constructed in short time, while the government can spread the cost over decades instead of a few years. PPP projects are almost universally much faster than government projects (Germany being a good example, but also France.
Old January 29th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #3264
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The main benefit of a PPP is that it allows large projects to be constructed in short time, while the government can spread the cost over decades instead of a few years. PPP projects are almost universally much faster than government projects (Germany being a good example, but also France.
Government can always spread the costs over decades. It doesn't need PPP for it. It is in no way some exclusive feature of the PPP. The main reason a government does it is because it doesn't want the debt in it's books and it makes the finances much less transparent.

And as far as the actual realization of the PPP goes, it is by most of the PPP types nothing that could not be done via the normal tendering.
Old January 29th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #3265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A PPP enables the government to proceed with a large project without having the immediate payment obligations in full. This means they can invest during times of budgetary constraints. Large widening or construction projects clearly shows PPP projects are completed much faster than if it was government-funded.

A PPP is not necessarily cheaper, however cost escalation and risk are on the tab of the constructor and not the taxpayer. Many government projects are only cheaper in theory, in reality they often run into delays and cost escalation.
Old January 29th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #3266
Surel

Quote:
A PPP enables the government to proceed with a large project without having the immediate payment obligations in full. This means they can invest during times of budgetary constraints.
There really is nothing that would prevent the government to arrange the financing completely the same way. The government can easily arrange the repayment of the financing in even installments over a period of 30 years. There would be exactly the same cash flow happening. There really is no other difference than that with PPP this "debt" is off the books.

Quote:
Large widening or construction projects clearly shows PPP projects are completed much faster than if it was government-funded.

A PPP is not necessarily cheaper, however cost escalation and risk are on the tab of the constructor and not the taxpayer. Many government projects are only cheaper in theory, in reality they often run into delays and cost escalation.
I can concur with this. But what does this also show? That the government is not projecting and tendering well and it is not closing good contracts. There really is no theoretical reason why the government should not be able to move the risks on the constructor without using PPP, or better said certain PPP.

There are many different types of PPP and it is not correct to compare them as a whole to a non PPP. We would need to look at every step of the whole chain of activities that need to be done and we could compare whether it is better to have them in house (i.e. done by the public authority) or outsource them to the private corporations and whether it makes sense to bundle them and tender as a bundle.

Finance - Design - Build - Operate - Maintain

a) Finance = It is without any doubt that securing the financing is cheaper for the government.

b) It is mostly privately done anyway. There are many possible arrangements from quite detailed to quite general designs leaving space for the construction partner.

c) Build. Again mostly privately done anyway.

d) Operate and Maintain - again everything is possible

Now if you look at this chain you can see that all of those pieces can be outsourced, they can be also bundled and tendered as a bundle. I think that it makes much more sense to talk about bundling and outsourcing than talking about PPP. PPP is just a sort of foggy word to conceal what is actually happening. In many cases what is actually happening is better described as outsourcing, privatizing and bundling the different pieces of the chain, but lets stay at the motorways.

I think that bundling Designing and Building and tendering it as a bundle with very general design parameters is efficient. I am also thinking that adding Maintenance to this bundle should create another savings due to a higher efficiency. A private contractor will design and build the structure in such a way as to minimize its maintenance costs. And I would believe that a private contractor is better at doing this than a government.

I am however not seeing any efficiency gains when bundling the financing together with the rest of the chain. The point is that most of the time PPP is defined exactly by including the financing in the bundle. I don´t see any advantages of such PPP. If we would talk about the rest of the chain and having it bundled. Yes, I would be for using PPP (that means using bundle and outsourcing certain activities, e.g. design - build - maintain bundle).

Now, as well as efficiency gains and economic gains from the bundling, there are are also risks. Some risks become lower when we use bundling, but other risks become higher. And you are back to the quality of he contracts and tendering.

ANDi_ liked this post
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:16 PM   #3267
i15

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDi_ View Post
Government expertise says...
Building costs 1.325 billion for 59 km, which is roughly 22.4 millions per 1 km. That's ok (metropolitan area, new bridge over Danube, big interchanges, somewhere 3+3 lanes).

The problem is, the government plans a payment of 130-150 millions yearly for period of 30 years. And that's 3.9-4.5 billions all together, what is 3 times more than the building costs!!!
R1 project has 51km and total value of payments is aprox. 4bln € (everything included). D4+R7 per km seems to be a little cheaper and there is massive difference in road quality. R1 is poor R22,5m with 1,5m emergency "lanes" and this new project is between R24,5m and D33,5m. Not to mention huge multilevel junctions.

I don't mind this project if average yearly payment per km is lower than on R1.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:57 PM   #3268
ANDi_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1216

i15 don't compare it to even worse project. I wouldn't mind if it was let's say 2 times of the building costs and being built in short time of 2-3 years. Or at least if D4 was being built whole. But the plan for only south part of D4 and a part of R7, all together 60 km in 4 years is no record breaker.

We know it could be a lot cheaper, but that's not in intention of this government.
ANDi_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 11:24 PM   #3269
ANDi_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1216

Detailed routing of whole motorway D4 here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/48.0901/17.1853

Qwert liked this post
ANDi_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 12:35 AM   #3271
steve5
Steve's Photo Gallery

Likes (Received): 461

Google Street View R1 + R2 Update 2014:

1. https://www.google.ch/maps/@48.57638...z9Uw!2e0?hl=de
2. https://www.google.ch/maps/@48.7477,...bqyA!2e0?hl=de
3. https://www.google.ch/maps/@48.75216...1T000000?hl=de
4. https://www.google.ch/maps/@48.74969...-L_g!2e0?hl=de
5. https://www.google.ch/maps/@48.74708...-Wz50U46BQ!2e0
6. https://www.google.ch/maps/@48.73973...22GEeDDWuQ!2e0

ERSTBEZUG - www.erstbezug.ch - Verzeichnis für Neubauprojekte in der Schweiz

Qwert liked this post
steve5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #3272
Jaromir

Likes (Received): 22

https://dennikn.sk/46721/ako-sa-stavali-dialnice-za-komunistov-alebo-tatraplanom-po-prazdnej-d1-foto/

Nice old pictures of highway's construction in CSSR, see link in the title - I cannot post link here because my post count is less than 10 :-(

SRC_100, bad_boy, Surel, Tvilum, Qwert liked this post
Jaromir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #3273
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Great photos!

Direct link: https://dennikn.sk/46721/ako-sa-stav...zdnej-d1-foto/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100 liked this post
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #3274
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Yeah, great stuff guys!
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3275
Remi55

Likes (Received): 34

REally nice pictures and awesome cars at that time
Remi55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #3276
i15

Likes (Received): 612

Tatra 603 and Tatra 613, a.k.a. czechoslovak rolls royce
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #3277
Leningrad.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

cool!
Leningrad. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #3278
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17443

R4 (E371) Svidnik bypass, part 1 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by humar View Post
2015-02-14 Svidnik - obwodnica - jazda w stronę Polski

SRC_100, GROBIN liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #3279
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17443

R4 (E371) Svidnik bypass, part 2 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by humar View Post
2015-02-14

SRC_100 liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 02:15 AM   #3280
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

What is the AADT on R4 section near hungarian border ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways