daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #321
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2531

D1 - Važec - Mengusovce

Few photos from relatively new (actually still U/C) section of D1.

Photos are from www.dialnice.info and www.ndsas.sk
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #322
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Two continue in third highway PPP tender

Quote:
Two out of four bidders were shortlisted in a tender for construction and operation of D1 highway stretches by Zilina. Qualified for the next part of the contest are the international consortium consisting of Hochtief PPP Solutions GmbH, Alpine Bau GmbH, FCC Construccion S.A., Western Carpathians Motorway Investors Company GmbH, as well as the French-Swedish team Vinci Concessions S.A. and Skanska Infrastructure Development AB.

The unsuccessful competitors were the consortium consisting of Bouygues Travaux Publics together with the Slovak Doprastav, a.s. Bratislava a Váhostav-SK, a.s. Žilina and the consortium of Strabag AG and Porr Solutions Immobilien-und Infrastrukturprojekte.

The commission of the Transport Ministry judged whether the bidders fulfill participation terms set by the law about public procurement and announcement of the competition.
Source: http://www.asociaciappp.sk/?a=novinka&id=65

IMO this is a bit surprise, Bouygues consortium has been awaited to participate in the PPP 3rd packet last round almost for sure. Although there is a little doubt, that in the case of German-Spanish win, they will use the broad capacities of Slovak construction copmpanies anyway. But, they are serious candidate for the 1st highway tender anyway.

This packet comprises motorway tunnel Višňové, which will be with its 7,5 km lenghth one of the longest motorway tunnels in Central Europe. Even if this is the most demanding of all PPP packets, it could be the prestigeous matter to take part in the construction.

Aside from PPP projects, this year are going to be opened about 25 km of motorways and expressways /this is including half profile and without completition of full profile sections/, currently ca. 70 km are under construction.

On Sunday the full profile of ca. 8 km of Važec-Mangusovce section will be opened, the pictures have been already posted by Qwert.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #323
Qwert

I add also important news about Bratislava ring:

Motorway D4 also known as Bratislava zero circle will be probably built as Public-Private Partnership (PPP) project. Thanks to that construction may start sooner than in year 2011, what is official date now. Experts says D4 must be built ASAP, because postponing of its construction will cause traffic collapse of whole Bratislava within few years.

links: http://ekonomika.sme.sk/c/4071686/ob...t-cez-ppp.html
http://bratislava.sme.sk/c/4072287/z...alnici-d4.html

Map:

And two more pics of D1 Važec - Mengusovce from www.dialnice.info:

Last edited by Qwert; September 12th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #324
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Outside rush hours Bratislava 'ring' probably isn't necessary at all, but yeah, rush hours are hell judging by pics.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #325
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

And videos of course
But having a ringroad is good for the cities' traffic of course, since all the traffic that went through the city earlier on, can bypass now.
Old September 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #326
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Outside rush hours Bratislava 'ring' probably isn't necessary at all, but yeah, rush hours are hell judging by pics.
Every ring road is almost unnecessary outside rush hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
And videos of course
But having a ringroad is good for the cities' traffic of course, since all the traffic that went through the city earlier on, can bypass now.
Problem of Bratislava is that two major motorways (D1 and D2) are exactly in the middle of the city. This is causing enormous traffic volumes there because those motorways are used by local traffic as well. Other problem is that almost whole through pass (I cannot say bypass) is 2x2 only, there is only one short 2x4 section and two 2+2+2+2 sections. And the third problem is Harbour bridge. This is the most busy road in Slovakia with traffic 150,000 cars a day. It's almost 4 times more than volumes the bridge was designed for and it cannot be upgraded. As a result the outer ring is definitely needed.

But, there is built only 3 km section of D4. As you may know, D4 contains three tunnels (together 10 km long), bridge above Danube and 4 major interchanges (at least one, but probably even more will be added in the future). That together with concrete pavement makes price about EUR 2 billion. In this prices is not calculated at least one section of expressway R7 which will be necessary and brand new, for now unnamed, expressway from Bratislava via Senec to Sereď which will be needed in little bit further future.
Old September 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #327
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

2 billion???For what,50km?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #328
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Every ring road is almost unnecessary outside rush hours.
Not in cities with no other motorway. I mean, you can already cross Bratislava without leaving motorway in all main directions, sth like Belgrade. Can you cross Bratislava quickly outside rush hours?

PS: Qwert, how about getting a normal avatar?
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #329
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
2 billion???For what,50km?
Yes, it's about 50 km. Exact lenght of south-eastern section Jarovce - Ivanka pri Dunaji North is 23,202 m. Northern section Ivanka pri Dunaji North - Austrian border will have more than 25 km. I don't know exact length because there are still some disputes about tunnel Karpaty. Price of south-eastern section is estimated on EUR 844 million in prices from year 2006. Price of Northern section is still not estimated, but unofficially it will be about EUR 1 billion in present prices. Together with inflation EUR 2 billion seems to be conservative figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Not in cities with no other motorway. I mean, you can already cross Bratislava without leaving motorway in all main directions, sth like Belgrade. Can you cross Bratislava quickly outside rush hours?

PS: Qwert, how about getting a normal avatar?
It depends when are you crossing it. In rush hours it's hell of course. At night it could be pretty fast. Still there is 80 km/h limit but unless there is some accident it would be quick ride. In normal traffic outside rush hours, but not at night it depends on your luck. There are regularly accidents which are causing jams even outside rush hours. Speed can be often limited to 60 km/h. You will be slowed almost for sure on Harbour bridge which is important transit and also city connection. If things mentioned above won't happen it could be smooth drive, but still I wouldn't say quick. It will take you definitely much more time than driving the same distance on motorway outside the city.

P.S.: I do have normal avatar.

Last edited by Qwert; September 13th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #330
Qwert

These photos from September 11 by pt82 may illustrate the situation on Bratislava urban motorways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt82 View Post

už dlhšie sme tu nemali tradičný pohľad z auparku
wuane: aká výškovka? nebola predsa ta pôvodná zrušená?

na cestách bolo celkom rušno vtedy ...
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #331
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Whats the reason for the jam? Traffic lamp?Accident?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #332
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Lack of capacity at peak hours. What was the traffic volume here again, like 100.000 or something?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #333
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Are there some official AADT figures? Because 150.000 looks somehow unrealistic to me. From few years ago I cannot remember Bratislava as being just before traffic collapse, even in morning rushhour.

Last edited by keber; September 15th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #334
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Whats the reason for the jam? Traffic lamp?Accident?
I don't know. Such jam can be caused by an accident, but in peak hours it could be appear simply due to lack of capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Lack of capacity at peak hours. What was the traffic volume here again, like 100.000 or something?
The jam is in Bratislava quarter Petržalka on motorway D1 in direction to Žilina before Harbour bridge. As you can see motorway is 2+2+2+2 there. Problem of this section is that on Harbour bridge (you can see part of it at the last picture) 4 lanes are merging into 2 plus there are cars arriving from street Dolnozemská cesta what are another 2 lanes. This is the worst bottleneck in Bratislava along with its counterpart on the opposite end of Harbour bridge where the situation is similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Are there some official AADT figures? Because 150.000 looks somehow unrealistic to me. From few years ago I cannot remember Bratislava as being just before traffic collapse, even in morning rushhour.
Last traffic count in Slovakia was done in 2005. This motorway was opened on December 4 2005 so it missed the count. What we have are only estimates offered to us mainly by media. We must wait until 2010 for exact figures. But, Harbour bridge was on its place in 2005 and it was counted. Traffic density there was 96,867 vehicles a day, but note that traffic organisation was different in 2005. Source is traffic study of proposed motorway D4: http://eia.enviroportal.sk/dokument.php?id=48297

Last edited by Qwert; September 15th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #335
keber

Interesting, you do traffic counts only every five years? A bit large interval, if you ask me. You can't do accurate traffic analysis with data, taken every fifth year.

Also (again stupid SSC):
Are there any plans to upgrade curvy and narrow D1 motorway between Bešenova and Liptovsky Mikulaš in central Slovakia? As I know, it is pretty old and therefore not up to today's motorway standards.
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #336
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Motorway D4 also known as Bratislava zero circle will be probably built as Public-Private Partnership (PPP) project.

Wow. thats amazing...

I hope you will build it quickly.
it's quite expensive, but cities at the intersection of important motorways have to have a motorway ring...

maybe you should call it "D0" like our M0...

Last edited by H123Laci; September 16th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #337
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Interesting, you do traffic counts only every five years? A bit large interval, if you ask me. You can't do accurate traffic analysis with data, taken every fifth year.

Also (again stupid SSC):
Are there any plans to upgrade curvy and narrow D1 motorway between Bešenova and Liptovsky Mikulaš in central Slovakia? As I know, it is pretty old and therefore not up to today's motorway standards.
I think it's should be more often, but or Ministry of Transportation, Posts and Telecommunications probably don't think so.

This section of D1 is actually expressway so it don't have to meet motorway standards. It was built together with nearby dam Liptovská Mara in 70's. There's no reconstruction planned. We must built missing parts of D1 first, then we can think about reconstruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
Wow. thats amazing...

I hope you will build it quickly.
it's quite expensive, but cities at the intersection of important motorways have to have a motorway ring...

maybe you should call it "D0" like our M0...
It seems authorities finally understand this motorway is crucial so things are already moving. Whole D4 has EIA approvals or is at least in approval stage. Money are also solved since it will be private motorway. Construction of at least south-eastern part can start within two years I would say.

I think something like D0 would be much better. But, IMO whole our road numbering system needs to be changed. Almost entire Slovak road network still uses old Czechoslovakian system. Motorway numbering was modified a bit and expressway numbering is brand new since there were no expressways in present meaning of this word in Czechoslovakia. This issue requires complex solution.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #338
keber

Quote:
This section of D1 is actually expressway so it don't have to meet motorway standards. It was built together with nearby dam Liptovská Mara in 70's. There's no reconstruction planned. We must built missing parts of D1 first, then we can think about reconstruction.
Maybe at least some SOS niches should be built, even if it is expressway.
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #339
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt82 View Post
Isn't it odd that a jam is only on the motorway (the inner lane), but not on its feeder right of it?
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #340
keber

Apparently traffic quantities on main and feeder motorway are not equal.
Usually very evident on such type of roads - good example is Bologna motorway system with tangenziale)

Tags
motorways