daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #3381
heri12345

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDi_ View Post
Today was closed the road I/59, route E77 !

Reason is a bridge in critical condition near Podbiel. Detour is through a mountain pass Prislop, road I/78.

This is a nice picture of how financial resources are distributed in Zilina's county. Near Zilina are being build 3 sections of motorways, 1 section at Kysuce and 5th section bypass of Martin (opened few weeks back). All 5 sections together cost more than 2 milliard €... But the important route E77 at Orava, there's not even enough money for maintenance of an old road...
is it known how long this closing is will take?
thx
heri12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #3382
i15

Likes (Received): 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I've driven over the bridge on the E77 which is now closed but, in fairness, the D1 and D3 really are more important.
2 lane road with 20000 daily traffic is much better than closed road
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #3383
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
2 lane road with 20000 daily traffic is much better than closed road.
Of course. BTW, I'm curious why it was not possible to close the bridge to heavy trucks and allow vehicles under 3.5 tonnes to continue to use it. If the bridge is in such bad condition that it's unsafe for light vehicles, then heavy vehicles should have been prohibited some time ago.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #3384
jachcemjest

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Of course. BTW, I'm curious why it was not possible to close the bridge to heavy trucks and allow vehicles under 3.5 tonnes to continue to use it. If the bridge is in such bad condition that it's unsafe for light vehicles, then heavy vehicles should have been prohibited some time ago.
They say 9 of 10 support beams are broken. The bridge is (officially) closed for pedestrians, too.
jachcemjest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #3385
martin0102

Quote:
I think it cracked in short time period. So there hasn`t been time for that action.

My opinion is that it is result of overweighted Poland trucks. (no offence)
martin0102 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #3386
ANDi_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1216

Sure, overweight trucks are problem also. But this couldn't happened in one day... Local people say they knew for years that the bridge was in bad condition. This is typical for Slovakistan, they know it's bad, but do nothing until it's terrible...
ANDi_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #3387
i15

Likes (Received): 608

Army should help to build temporary bridge, but it would not be open for heavy vehicles. Trucks from Poland can use long detour through Prešov or Žilina

mcarling liked this post
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #3388
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

The news is the best I've seen in a long time. Many people in Podhale were b*tching about the high amount of lorries on transit using this road, and the traffic jams they cause between Lubień and Jabłonka, and that the E77 should ideally be closed to heavy transit traffic.

I really hope the Slovaks stick to their reputation and they will take their time fixing this bridge. If they need two months for fixing potholes - I kid you not: the signs went up and they started milling the road surface in April, the potholes are filled up and asphalted by the end of June; this was on the stretch Jurgów-Zdiar-Tatrzańska Kotlina this year. It surely shouldn't be too much to ask to the Slovaks to take until about 2021 to fix this bridge properly, so that the opening of the new bridge coincides nicely with the opening of the S7 Lubień-Chabówka.

ANDi_ liked this post
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #3389
ANDi_
BANNED

True that
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #3390
heri12345

despite of the fact, I am thinking now of the best alternative way driving away from PL...
Probably in Jablonka right, direction Zubrohlave and then on road 78 until Oravsky Podzamok.... what's your opinion?
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #3391
ANDi_
BANNED

If you're not driving a truck, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #3392
heri12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDi_ View Post
If you're not driving a truck, it shouldn't be a problem.
I am talking about driving a passenger car... As far I understood, the bridge is totaly closed, right?
Yeaaa, but you are right... not far from this miserable bridge is another, smaller bridge... This will be probably an alternative which they are going to take... right?
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #3393
ANDi_
BANNED

If you take I/78 it will be fine, slow because of some reconstructions. But probably there's not better choice atm.

Locals use a narrow dirt road... https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2947.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #3394
Adayafter

Likes (Received): 833

Polish trucks are bad. And another trucks are good. - they are flying over roads :-D
Adayafter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #3395
ANDi_
BANNED

http://orava-liptov.sk/most-podbiel.htm
Old September 13th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #3396
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I think that's beyond repair. Tear it down and replace it for a few million euros.

Germany also has many problematic bridges and they found out that in most cases it's more economical to tear them down and replace them than to renovate them. In some cases they've spent more money on renovations within 20 years than it has cost to built them. (1960s-1980s).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #3397
Remi55

Likes (Received): 34

Easiest way with all concrete construction is to tear it down and build a new one. concrete is not for life but for max 50years in best cases.

mcarling liked this post
Remi55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #3398
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I agree that it would almost certainly be better to tear the bridge down and build a new one that to try to repair the existing bridge.

I think it's absurd that pedestrians are not permitted to walk across the bridge. First, the weight of a few pedestrians would not add even 0.01% to the weight of the bridge. Second, there were heavy trucks (probably up to 40 tonnes or more if overweight) only a week ago.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #3399
plusfast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi55 View Post
Concrete is not for life but for max 50years in best cases.
That is not true. If concrete is used the right way it can last for centuries. The problem is that in many cases it is used the wrong way. For instance, the steel bars that are in the concrete need to be more then 5 centimeters from the surface, and preferably more then 10 cm. Quite often these bars are almost at the surface, where they will rust and then the concrete bursts open and needs to be repaired. It also happens that there is too much sand in the concrete, or not enough cement, and in both cases water can get in the concrete and again the steel bars will rust away. Even more important is the amount of water used when making concrete. Too much and not enough water both will lead to bad concrete.

Working the right way with concrete can easily be done, but it requires more attention from the working men, and that will cost more. But if done properly it will last a very long time. Even the old Romans used a form of concrete, and some of their constructions are still standing.

steve5 liked this post
plusfast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #3400
ANDi_
BANNED

As far as I know, bridges here are constructed for period of 100 years. Sure any bridge can be damaged, the problem in "Slovakistan" is they do nothing with small problems, just let them grow bigger and bigger... Until it's too late.

I also think that E77 is underrated and whole R3 should have been built long time ago at least in half profile.

Tags
motorways