daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That road in Bratislava also seems very hard to widen. I don't know if the act of through traffic diverting onto a new ringroad is enough te relief the traffic jams.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #342
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Problem is bridge over Danube, where central motorway and collector roads from both sides meet in 2+2 alignment. A copy of this bridge beside old one would probably solve most of the problems.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I see. I thought that Harbor Bridge was an entrance to the downtown area (the UFO bridge), but it's the D1 bridge.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #344
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Problem is bridge over Danube, where central motorway and collector roads from both sides meet in 2+2 alignment. A copy of this bridge beside old one would probably solve most of the problems.
I think two auxiliary briges (with 1x2 or 1x3 lanes) on both sides of this bridge would be a better solution...

the thru traffic could use the old 2x2 bridge and the local traffic on the feeders could use the side bridges...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #345
keber

Yes, but making two bridges instead of one is much more expensive option.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #346
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

well, it would be a little bit more (maybe by 20-30%), but NOT "much more"...

but in case of side bridges there would be noo need to change and rebuild the long ramps of the main roadway only the ramps of the feeders...

BTW: on google.maps the main roadway between D2 and the bridge is under (re)construction...
the traffic goes only on the feeders.

had it caused serious jams?
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #347
keber

Google pictures are from 2004, when main D1 was still under construction.

But two bridges over Danube are a bit different cost category than over small river. 4 lane wide bridge is in this case only a small fraction more expensive than 2 lane bridge and much cheaper than two 2-laned bridges.
In both cases you need to redesign access ramps on both sides of the river, so this doesn't influence much on cost diferences.
Old September 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #348
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Isn't it odd that a jam is only on the motorway (the inner lane), but not on its feeder right of it?
It's rather collector than feeder. In this post are photos of almost every single meter of this section of D1. They may clarify the situation there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That road in Bratislava also seems very hard to widen. I don't know if the act of through traffic diverting onto a new ringroad is enough te relief the traffic jams.
Big part of traffic using Harbour bridge is local. Outer circle should only postpone traffic colpase. It will be necessary to upgrade whole urban D1 anyway. However, it's obviously necesary to improve public transport in the city as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
I think two auxiliary briges (with 1x2 or 1x3 lanes) on both sides of this bridge would be a better solution...

the thru traffic could use the old 2x2 bridge and the local traffic on the feeders could use the side bridges...
This is approximatelly what our authorities want to do. The idea of demolition of the bridge and constrcuction of completely new one which I mentioned some time ago is probably over although it would be IMO the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
well, it would be a little bit more (maybe by 20-30%), but NOT "much more"...

but in case of side bridges there would be noo need to change and rebuild the long ramps of the main roadway only the ramps of the feeders...

BTW: on google.maps the main roadway between D2 and the bridge is under (re)construction...
the traffic goes only on the feeders.

had it caused serious jams?
As keber said D1 section Viedenská cesta - Prístavný most was U/C in 2004. Before construction of this section traffic was using Einsteinova street (present collector lanes). There was huge green median as a reserve for the motorway.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #349
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, at least transit traffic should run uninterruptedly; cities are jammed anyway.

From my experience by Padova, Vicenza, Verona and Brescia, collectors are always busier than the (main) motorway.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #350
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Motorway D4 also known as Bratislava zero circle will be probably built as Public-Private Partnership (PPP) project. Thanks to that construction may start sooner than in year 2011, what is official date now. Experts says D4 must be built ASAP, because postponing of its construction will cause traffic collapse of whole Bratislava within few years.

Map:
There is good possibillity, that first part of the D4, section from Devínska Nová Ves to Stupava /part 4, orange lined on the map/ will be starting even this year, at least according to the press news from Sme daily. The section is not very long. just 3,3 km, but will be probably the first constructed part of the big, or second Bratislava motorway ring.

Moreover, construction of another four sections is plan to start this year. Continuation of D1 from Branisko tunnel western portal, sections Studenec-Behárovce and Jablonov-Studenec /8,5 km/, second stage of R1 Žarnovica-Šášovské podhradie section /8,4 km/ and R3 Horná Štubňa bypass /4,3 km/, alltogether 24,5 km.
However, it is just press news with planned this year construction, IMO half, or two thirds of the planned sections will really start this year.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #351
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
There is good possibillity, that first part of the D4, section from Devínska Nová Ves to Stupava /part 4, orange lined on the map/ will be starting even this year, at least according to the press news from Sme daily. The section is not very long. just 3,3 km, but will be probably the first constructed part of the big, or second Bratislava motorway ring.
First part of D4 is already built. It's about 3 km long section from Austrian border to interchange Jarovce or in other words from Austrian A6 to Slovak D2. This will be second section so together we will have almost 7 km of D4. But, I'm not sure if construction will really start this year. Since D4 should be built as PPP project they may modify plans a bit.

Map:

Last edited by Qwert; September 24th, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #352
Timoth12

Yes, right, it´s the first northern part of D4. The first D4 part, ca. 3 km, was finished at the end of 90ies and now it connects with Austrian A6. Likewise, northern D4 will connect D4 with Austrian S8. PPP sections could include Male Karpaty tunnel and eastern D4 /violet and blue part on the map/.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #353
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Yes, right, it´s the first northern part of D4. The first D4 part, ca. 3 km, was finished at the end of 90ies and now it connects with Austrian A6. Likewise, northern D4 will connect D4 with Austrian S8. PPP sections could include Male Karpaty tunnel and eastern D4 /violet and blue part on the map/.
We will see. I wish PPP was used for everything around Bratislava. Traffic volumes are big enough to pay it and state could use its money for other roads. So I hope as PPP will be built whole D4, R7 at least from Harbour bridge to Dunajská Lužná, but better would be also Dunajská Lužná - Dunajská Streda and for now unnamed road Bratislava - Senec - Sereď. Another thing is traffic volumes and terrain justify construction of motorways instead of expressways. I mean that R7 and Bratislava - Senec - Sereď should be motorways. I hope some people in Ministry of Transportation and National Motorway company will realize that.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #354
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Yes...the same problem in Hungary. They are planning the road like M8 as an expressway, however they know at within 10-20 years they need a motorway. It´s going to cost much more in the future. At least they build it "ready" for motorway.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #355
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Yes...the same problem in Hungary. They are planning the road like M8 as an expressway, however they know at within 10-20 years they need a motorway. It´s going to cost much more in the future. At least they build it "ready" for motorway.
There is no difference between motorway and expressway in terms of capacity. Motorway, however, offer higher comfort and safety what is considering traffic volumes near Bratislava quite important. Terrain southern and eastern from Bratislava where those expressways should be built is totally flat. More flat than Hungary So price for motorway and expressway won't differ much since there is no need for some sharper curves not to mention gradients. Another problem is morons in Transportation Ministry will likely build it without reserve for 2x3 lanes what is unacceptable close to Bratislava.
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #356
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Are there any plans or conceptions of introducing new road numbering system in Slovakia ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #357
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Why would that be necessary?
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #358
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Are there any plans or conceptions of introducing new road numbering system in Slovakia ?
There were some plans or ideas but they were cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Why would that be necessary?
Because our road-numbering system is actually Czechoslovakian road-numbering system. When Czechoslovakia split up both successor states left their road numbering almost untouched. This lead to strange situation when in Slovakia we have national roads I/2, I/11, proposed I/12, then I/47, I/49, I/50, I/51, I/54, I/57, I/61, I/62 and so on. In case of second class roads we start from II/425, II/426, II/484, II/487, then II/499, II/500, II/501 and so on.

In case of motorways and expressways we start from D1 and R1, but there are problems as well since e.g. D1 has three parallel roads - I/61, I/18 and I/50. In case of R1 it's even more complicated. It's parallel roads are I/62, I/51, I/65, I/76, I/50, I/66 and I/69.

Another issue is motorway and expressway numbering don't have any sense. They get numbers as they are being added to the construction program. For example around Bratislava there are D1, D2, D4, planned R7 and another planned probably R9. D1 is renamed Czechoslovakian D61, D2 has it's name from the beginning. D4 was originally called D1, but then plans were modified and circle around Bratislava was added so they have to rename short already built section of this circle to D4 (D3 was already used for motorway from Žilina to Polish border). Then authorities planned the network of expressways, but they somewhat forgotten south-eastern Slovakia also needs an expressway so to six planned expressways they added seventh - R7. Now authorities think about brand new expressway Bratislava - Senec - Sereď, which could be called R9 (R8 is already used for planned expressway from Nitra to Hradište).

So while I, II and III class roads numbering is logical at least if you look at it as part of Czechoslovakian system, motorway and expressway numbering is just mess.

Last edited by Qwert; September 30th, 2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #359
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Ok, I see, thanks for the explanation
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #360
Timoth12

Ride on R6 expressway

Drive on R6 expressway

R6 should be completed around 2015 and will form second, or third motorway/expressway connection Czech Republic - Slovakia, after D2-D2 /completed/ and R5-I/11 /completed-U/C-in preparation/. R6 will connect with Czech R49.

From Slovak side it is completed ca. one quarter from total R6 24 km lenghth, from the Czech side is under construction 17 km from the total 60 km lenghth.

Last edited by Timoth12; October 14th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.

Tags
motorways