daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #3781
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Such ramps would also have to cross the railroad. I don't know how busy the railroad is, but ramps crossing railroads is generally avoided.
why? there is always the other side (unless one would insist on cloverleaf, which is quite unneccessary here).

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #3782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

A partial cloverleaf on the other side would have to have huge oval ramps because the bridge is too narrow for merging lanes. So traffic coming from a loop ramp would have to be able to merge before they enter the bridge. A motorway-standard merging lane is typically 300-400 meters long.

Sketch:

And this is not a safe design as traffic can accelerate too much before the 180 degree turn back to the highway... So a safe loop would have to have a much larger radius or incorporate S-curves to slow traffic down, which is not very common on what is supposed to become a motorway at some point.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #3783
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Such ramps would also have to cross the railroad. I don't know how busy the railroad is, but ramps crossing railroads is generally avoided.

I'm not too impressed with this 'half profile' motorway. At best, it doesn't make another carriageway impossible, but it is hardly designed to easily build another carriageway. All embankments would need to be widened, only the overpasses are wide enough for a second carriageway. And the construction cost was pretty high for a two-lane road (about € 8 million/km, they build full motorways for half that money in Spain...)

It suggests that it may be a very long time before R2 becomes a motorway in this area.
I am pretty much unimpressed too, for 8 mil./km it could have been built 2x2. 2x1 should be enough for a decade or so, but it should have been cheaper. 2x2 is however really needed between Bánovce and Trenčín (D1). But this part of R2 will be built sometimes after 2020.

The ramps don't have to cross the railway, substandard design would be still better than nothing, but it is off the table anyway.

This is how it was originally planned:

gr_kanev, Ices77, Luki_SL liked this post
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #3784
_ANDi_

Likes (Received): 246

R2, Zvolen east - Pstrusa

Quickly few views (constructional objects in brackets);

Interchange ZV east (101-00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUNYymM73w

Bridge over II/591 (203-00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrf8sBd6Hkk

Views from bridge between villages Ocova and Zvolenska Slatina (205-00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9Ztzne-0s

Bridge over local road between village Viglas and company PPS Group (208-00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRosVQICdfM

Bridge over stream and railroad to company PPS Group (209-00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WigqHea7m40

Bridge over main railroad and river Slatina (210-00), photos starts here;
http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=35202

Sentilj, Ices77, Name user 1 liked this post

Last edited by _ANDi_; October 30th, 2016 at 05:40 PM.
_ANDi_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #3785
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Quote:
A partial cloverleaf on the other side would have to have huge oval ramps because the bridge is too narrow for merging lanes. So traffic coming from a loop ramp would have to be able to merge before they enter the bridge. A motorway-standard merging lane is typically 300-400 meters long.

Sketch:

And this is not a safe design as traffic can accelerate too much before the 180 degree turn back to the highway... So a safe loop would have to have a much larger radius or incorporate S-curves to slow traffic down, which is not very common on what is supposed to become a motorway at some point.
I can give you a good example from Latvia on how NOT to make a junction in this particular circumstance.

If the right side is alright and meets safety requirements, then the left side is a complete disaster. Sharp 90 degree turn and short acceleration/braking lane, which often is a problem for drivers to split road.

And the result:

When my cousin just got his driver's license, he miscalculated speed and almost crashed into this sign.

Ices77 liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #3786
i15

Likes (Received): 609

http://www.ssc.sk/sk/cinnosti/rozvoj...-roku-2015.ssc

Results of 2015 traffic census are available. There are 8 sub-pages for each region and file with "VÚC" shows whole region.

Results are strange. Comparing to 2010, it shows stagnation or decrease of traffic and I am talking about seriuos 20% decrease on main roads such as D1. It is strange to me, because I see increase of traffic, when I travel. Fuel is cheaper, economy is stronger and people are buying new cars. Maybe there is something wrong in counting method

Ices77, Qwert liked this post
i15 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:46 PM   #3787
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
I can give you a good example from Latvia on how NOT to make a junction in this particular circumstance.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q...2562358920.jpg

If the right side is alright and meets safety requirements, then the left side is a complete disaster. Sharp 90 degree turn and short acceleration/braking lane, which often is a problem for drivers to split road.

When my cousin just got his driver's license, he miscalculated speed and almost crashed into this sign.
We don't have to go so far. Less than 20 minutes drive from Bánovce there is even better interchange:

https://www.google.sk/maps/@48.86150.../data=!3m1!1e3

RipleyLV liked this post
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:08 PM   #3788
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The first stone of the D4-R7 project near Bratislava will be laid tomorrow.

Old October 26th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #3789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It has been recommended to expand D1 from Bratislava to Senec to 2x4 lanes instead of the planned 2x3 lanes.

http://www.ndsas.sk/aktuality-pracov...-/44372s49317c

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ices77 liked this post
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #3790
i15

Likes (Received): 609

It is the subject of many debates. D1 was proposed to expand to:

2x3 without demolishing existing overpasses
2x3 + 2x2 collectors (10 lanes in total)
2x3 + 2x2 collectors only in intersections
2x4

It is also discussed, if it is better to upgrade road 61+62 to 2x2, or build R1 from D4 near Bratislava towards existing R1 near Sereď. I don't live near Bratislava, but I would prefer D1 2x3 without stupid collectors, with overpasses ready for 2x4 and paralel R1

Ices77 liked this post
i15 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #3791
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1747

Yeah and we should definitely watch out for induced demand.

Diaľnica is derived from Czech word Dálnice, which is a pun: Dálková silnice = long haul road. Having the exit in every 500 m would breach the nature of a motorway.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #3792
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

It was agreed that between Bratislava and Blatne it will be 2x4 with emergency lanes, so no stupid collectors. From Blatne to Trnava it will be 2x3.

http://www.ndsas.sk/aktuality-pracov...-/44372s49317c
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #3793
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Is projected traffic really that big?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #3794
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

Yes, it's pretty big. According the last traffic count it was above 62000 vehicles/day.
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #3795
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

That is a good traffic count for future 2x3 expansion but not for 2x4. Are traffic forecasts really that high? Senec is the biggest town in that area and not really big (pop. around 20k). Are there any new settlements in planning?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #3796
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
That is a good traffic count for future 2x3 expansion but not for 2x4. Are traffic forecasts really that high? Senec is the biggest town in that area and not really big (pop. around 20k). Are there any new settlements in planning?
That depends of infrastructure development. Therefore I point out the induced demand issue. I think 3+3 without collectors is enough.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #3797
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, if there is a scenario where all bridges need replacement for 2x3 + shoulders anyway, it may make sense to build it future-proof (up to 2040) and expand it to 2x4 lanes, the additional cost will be rather small compared to another expansion in the future.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Sentilj liked this post
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #3798
Sentilj

Likes (Received): 24

True, just look over the border to CZ, they are deeply reconstructing but keeping the busy D1 still 2+2.
Sentilj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #3799
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiman View Post
Yes, it's pretty big. According the last traffic count it was above 62000 vehicles/day.
That means, 2x2 is adequate.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #3800
satanism

Likes (Received): 5489

The stretch is already 2x3 all the way from Zlate Piesky to Trnava.....for the expense of emergency lanes.And in rush hour it always is very busy or even completely blocked....
6. да управлява велосипед по площите, предназначени за движение само на пешеходци. Тази забрана не се отнася за децата велосипедисти.

Sentilj liked this post
satanism no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways