daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #3861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ices77 View Post
How looked the subsidizing scheme in Netherlands?
Incentives in the Netherlands are mainly geared to company cars, as they account for two-thirds of the new car sales.

If you drive a company car (paid for by your employer) you pay a tax rate. The tax rate is a percentage of the pre-tax value of the car you have to add to your gross income, so you pay a higher income tax. The tax rates are currently 4% (fully electric), 15% (<50 grams of CO2/km), 21 and 25% for higher CO2 emissions.

For example a car costing € 30,000 with a 25% tax rate means you have to add € 7,500 to your gross annual income, and you pay the income tax accordingly. For most people, it's a couple hundred euros per month at least.

As the PHEV vehicles had a claimed low CO2 emission, they were eligible for very low tax rates. So sales of those cars skyrocketed. There were some models that only sold significant volumes in the Netherlands, which shows how skewed the market was.

For example, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (a large SUV) had a claimed emission of only 42 grams of CO2 per kilometer. They used to have a tax rate of only 7%. However, in reality their CO2 emission (=fuel consumption) was much higher because most people charged them only sporadically or not at all. So the government lost a lot of income while not achieving environmental improvements.

Tax incentives for plug-in hybrid vehicles have been reduced and will be eliminated entirely in 2017, so they pay the same tax rate as other cars. Only battery electric cars (Tesla Model S/X, Nissan Leaf, etc.) remain eligible for the low tax rate of 4%.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Surel liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #3862
Nido

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
It was announced to be opened in 2016. Are both sections expected to be opened in May or is the 3km section still expected to be opened earlier (2016)?
Both will have same opening date, there's no option to open it separately.
Nido no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #3863
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

So, I traveled through Slovakia saturday and monday (to reach Krakow from Hungary and return), and it was really pleasant, roads were very good except inside Banská Bystrica, and I was surprised that on monday morning, even with the snow, most of the time the road was perfectly "clean" !!
But what I liked the most, it's how "relax" most of the slovakians are on the road, no dangerous overtaking, not much overspeeding and you can go through cities and respect the speed limits without being horned or dangerously overtaked like I am so used to it here in Romania... I will certainly come back for another road trip in Slovakia!

Sentilj, Macio89, i15, albiman, Qwert liked this post

Last edited by winnipeg; November 29th, 2016 at 04:56 PM.
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #3864
winnipeg

Also I stopped in Likavka and took some shots of the Hubova – Likavka expressway who is under construction...

And from the road...

SRC_100, Sentilj, Macio89, Luki_SL, simondanut and 1 others liked this post
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #3865
Macio89

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
But what I liked the most, it's how "relax" most of the slovakians are on the road, no dangerous overtaking, not much overspeeding:
slovak drivers are actually angel compared to romanian drivers :P

winnipeg liked this post
Macio89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #3866
Sentilj

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macio89 View Post
slovak drivers are actually angel compared to romanian drivers :P
The reason was probably the first snow in this season, even the fiercest and reckless drivers rides with respect
Wait for spring or summer and you´ll see the real face.
Sentilj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #3867
Macio89

Likes (Received): 7

Many times I drove by Slovakia and Romania, so I know the mentality of the local drivers. Undoubtedly Slovak riding safer.
Macio89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #3868
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Slovakia, along with Estonia, are the only countries in Eastern Europe to have a fatality rate below the EU average, while Romania has the second highest fatality rate.

To compare, the U.S. has a rate of 109 and Canada has a rate of 58.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

gr_kanev, winnipeg, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #3869
winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentilj View Post
The reason was probably the first snow in this season, even the fiercest and reckless drivers rides with respect
Wait for spring or summer and you´ll see the real face.
But it was exactly the same saturday when I traveled to Poland, and there was absolutly no snow, the snow was there only for my return trip that I made yesterday (and the snow was only on the north of Banská Bystrica, the south was perfectly dry and sunny)...
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #3870
i15

Likes (Received): 609

Unpopular opinion: it is result of Police work and high fines. Many people hates police and says cops are unfair and just check the speed limits on safe empty roads, but I personally never had problems with them. I don't drive slow, but I have never paid fine and cops never stopped me for anything else, than routine check of car registration documents.

albiman, Qwert liked this post
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #3871
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

exactly

I have the same opinion. Many times they are checking the speed limits at ridiculous places, which looks like bullying. But the fact is that due their present the drivers are trying to follow the rules. During the day weekdays you can see many patrols on the main roads.

In the last couple of years the behaviour of the drivers improved a lot, and you rarely see somebody who is acting dangeriously.

albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:11 PM   #3872
satanism

Likes (Received): 5490

Now they only have to make them stop at pedestrian crossings and get off their phones....cause now it's just ridiculous....
6. да управлява велосипед по площите, предназначени за движение само на пешеходци. Тази забрана не се отнася за децата велосипедисти.
satanism está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:19 PM   #3873
albiman

Likes (Received): 331

They used to stop for me at the pedestrian crossings I do the same.

Mobile phones are different topic in Bratislava, what else you can do in traffic jams?
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 06:02 PM   #3874
satanism

Likes (Received): 5490

I'd say percentage of stops for pedestrians is in the single digits....and general attitude towards them is very poor.
6. да управлява велосипед по площите, предназначени за движение само на пешеходци. Тази забрана не се отнася за децата велосипедисти.
satanism está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:00 PM   #3875
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
Unpopular opinion: it is result of Police work and high fines. Many people hates police and says cops are unfair and just check the speed limits on safe empty roads, but I personally never had problems with them. I don't drive slow, but I have never paid fine and cops never stopped me for anything else, than routine check of car registration documents.
I live in Poland and I drive in Slovakia quite a bit with Polish plates, never had any problems with the police. They are everywhere, it's true, but they don't make unfair stops. They stopped me only once at night near Zilina for a breath/documents check, and they laughed when I told them that they should stop every Polish car because of the dreadful attitude towards the law in Poland.

It's the same in the Czech Republic. People drive much, much better in CZ/SK than in PL, and it's far less stressful to drive there.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:58 PM   #3876
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I live in Poland and I drive in Slovakia quite a bit with Polish plates, never had any problems with the police. They are everywhere, it's true, but they don't make unfair stops. They stopped me only once at night near Zilina for a breath/documents check, and they laughed when I told them that they should stop every Polish car because of the dreadful attitude towards the law in Poland.

It's the same in the Czech Republic. People drive much, much better in CZ/SK than in PL, and it's far less stressful to drive there.
Just drive in Hungary for a while, and you will enjoy PL.
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:42 PM   #3877
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
Same here. Fined twice in my life - but I pleaded guilty. And twice for regular check. Always talked to me very professionally and always wished me a safe journey.

I have never been pulled over by police in foreign country.

Btw. what is the level of English among Slovak Police?

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM   #3878
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanism View Post
I'd say percentage of stops for pedestrians is in the single digits....and general attitude towards them is very poor.
Yeah, Bratislava has a good trend - it seems that more and more people give way to pedestrians at crossings. But it only work on 1+1 roads. Once there is 2+2 or 2+1 road, you have to do a false step to persuade them to stop. Otherwise you are to wait there eternally.

The rest of Slovakia is little worse. Even pedestrians are more used to wait.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #3879
plusfast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Btw. what is the level of English among Slovak Police?
Nine out of ten police officers in Slovakia speak no English at all, the tenth one speaks a little bit of English. Some speak a bit of German, but no more than English...

But I have almost always been treated correctly by the police after being stopped. And even if you get a fine it is a reasonable amount, not like my home country, the Netherlands. Fines there are ridiculously high. For instance, using your mobile phone while driving gets you a fine of about 40 euros, in Slovakia and in Germany, but in the Netherlands it will cost you 230 euros...
plusfast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #3880
_ANDi_

Likes (Received): 246

Uhm, but the minimal wage in Slovakia is barely 380 eur a month (2 eur/hour).

Tags
motorways