daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #381
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

D1 Bratislava - Trnava upgrade

Today is the official start of upgrade of motorway D1 between Bratislava and Trnava on six lanes.

Major works on this 36 km stretch will start in April 2009. Green median will be paved and metal crashbarriers will be replaced with concrete ones. Driving lanes will be narrowed and part of emergency lanes will be used to get three lanes for each direction. Cost is estimated on EUR 20 million. It will be, however, only temporary solution.

In 2011 complex reconstruction of whole this section will start. It will be upgraded on standard D 33,5/150 (120) - that means 33.5 metres wide 2x3 motorway with design speed 150 km/h between Bratislava and Senec and 120 km/h between Senec and Trnava. Pavement will be concrete. Entire upgraded section will have reserve for eight lanes.

There should be also made study if and how is possible to upgrade Harbour bridge in Bratislava on 2x3 lanes.

Meanwhile national road I/61 from Bratislava to Senec which is parallel to D1 will be upgraded on 2x2 road with ground-separated crossings (C22,5/100).

Road I/61 on place where it's already 2x2:

source: www.pravda.sk

Article in Slovak: http://tvojepeniaze.pravda.sk/dialni..._sk_pludia_p01

Last edited by Qwert; November 17th, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #382
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Cool!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #383
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Seems to be a huge work to do. If the place is left for 8 lanes, is it neccessary to rebuild the overpasses over the motorway?
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #384
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Cool!
I hope the reality will be cool as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Seems to be a huge work to do. If the place is left for 8 lanes, is it neccessary to rebuild the overpasses over the motorway?
Yes it will be huge work. Mainly the upgrade which will start in 2011. It is necessary to destroy and build again all overpasses to get space for 6 lanes, not to mention 8. This is why officials decided to use the temporary solution first.

It's good they finally think about future too. For example interchange of D2 and D4 Stupava South will be built with reserve for 2x3 on D2. Now I'm only waiting when they will realize entire D4 and part of R7 and another section of D2 should have at least reserve for 6 lanes as well.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #385
Qwert

Sheme of the temporary 2x3 solution

Source: http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=5411

Well, I can't wait for regular upgrade in 2011.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #386
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Hmmm 2x3 and no shoulders. I wouldn't be too happy about that, but it's luckily only temporary.

Were peak hour lanes considered like they have in the Netherlands and Germany? That way, you can turn the shoulder into a thirds lane when traffic requires this, but you have a shoulder available when traffic volumes are lower.

What's the AADT for this particular stretch of road?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #387
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post

Source: http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=5411

Well, I can't wait for regular upgrade in 2011.
Khm,Khm...M0...khm,khm...result of accident...khm,khm.

(www.rtlhirek.hu)
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #388
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hmmm 2x3 and no shoulders. I wouldn't be too happy about that, but it's luckily only temporary.

Were peak hour lanes considered like they have in the Netherlands and Germany? That way, you can turn the shoulder into a thirds lane when traffic requires this, but you have a shoulder available when traffic volumes are lower.

What's the AADT for this particular stretch of road?
I'm not happy about that at all. I don't know what variants were considered, but IMO this is not the best one. They should make at least some emergency areas on appropriate places. Another problem is road bed. On old motorways (built before let's say 1995) embankment under emergency lanes is not built to carry traffic. Construction of these two sections started in 1972 and 1975 and since they were finished there was no big reconstruction of the road bed. I guess after some 30 years of operation it's in pretty bad condition. I'm curious how they will solve it. IMO officials just reckon it will sustain those two years and in 2011 they will built actually new motorway there.

Traffic volumes were counted last time in 2005 so here you are:

D1 Vajnory (Bratislava) - Senec: 51,307
D1 Senec - Trnava: 43,981

Since 2005 there was quite some growth, we have to wait two years for new figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Khm,Khm...M0...khm,khm...result of accident...khm,khm.

(www.rtlhirek.hu)
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. But, this is actually how it often looks at this stretch of D1 also now.

Last edited by Qwert; November 19th, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #389
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Traffic volumes were counted last time in 2005 so here you are:

D1 Vajnory (Bratislava) - Senec: 51,307
D1 Senec - Trnava: 43,981

Since 2005 there was quite some growth, we have to wait two years for new figures.
Err, that's not so much at all. We have up to 70,000 on 4-lane motorways/expressways, and the traffic is still fine (except in rush hours, but the traffic doesn't stand totally still, except for a short time). I think it would be better just to leave it as it is until 2011.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #390
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Err, that's not so much at all. We have up to 70,000 on 4-lane motorways/expressways, and the traffic is still fine (except in rush hours, but the traffic doesn't stand totally still, except for a short time). I think it would be better just to leave it as it is until 2011.
Now it's higher I guess. Note it was counted in 2005, now is the end of 2008 and Slovak economy growth in this period was similar to Chinese. But, if it would depend on me I would simply set lower maximal speed there, let's say 110 km/h and wait for 2011. But, the elections are in 2010, you know...

This motorway has two main problems. It's used by commuters and thus every morning it's totally jammed. Second problem is every Friday like half of Bratislava is going to the east and on Sunday evening and Monday morning they are returning. This is causing huge delays and jams. Otherwise 2x2 is more than enough. There are periods during day and during week when it's empty and periods when it's incredibly busy.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:52 AM   #391
Qwert

Random photos from various U/C sections of northern D1 starting near Prešov and ending near Poprad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hraby View Post

Old November 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #392
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Is there any possibility that there´s going to be a new motorway-bridge in or near Bratislava??
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #393
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
Is there any possibility that there´s going to be a new motorway-bridge in or near Bratislava??
Sure. Motorway D4 - Bratislava outer ring will include bridges above rivers Danube and Morava. Of course there will be numerous smaller bridges as well.

Visualisation of the sixth Bratislava Danube bridge:
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #394
SeanT
DK/H

[quote=Qwert;28747340]Sure. Motorway D4 - Bratislava outer ring will include bridges above rivers Danube and Morava. Of course there will be numerous smaller bridges as well.

Nice picture, good for you guys,
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #395
Qwert

D1 Mengusovce - Jánovce

Nice pink photos by Doprastav.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM   #396
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

WOW! Gigantic free advertising for T-com(and for the other T's)!!!
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM   #397
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I thought this is the memorial of the gay pride...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM   #398
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yeah, we already discussed this before. Hopefully this train won't cross here, otherwise we're really talking about the gay pride
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM   #399
SeanT
DK/H

"Gay-pride" so what? The big question is? What is politicly correct???
We tolerate them or we accept them???
....or even we like them.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM   #400
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Sorry for the OT: in Amsterdam it's quite normal to see men walking together hand-in-hand, I have nothing against gays, but I'm hetero.

Tags
motorways