daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #461
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
So 26.1 km to be started this year. Impressive.
Yeah but what a difficult terrain...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #462
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
So 26.1 km to be started this year. Impressive. Of course with additional 150 km of PPP motorways it would be much better..
As a highway fan you should be happy for more km in your country, or am I mistaken?

Let´s hope all ca. 176 km of motorways and expressway will start this year. I am optimist also because next year is election year, so more highways are more points for the government.
If everything goes well, this year will be the absolute record year in highways construction history in our country.

Quote:
I have to say I think D3 Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno is the most unnecessary section of D3. I would rather see construction of whichever part of D3 instead of this one.
I expected Svrčinovec-Skalité section to be started as next. But other D3 sections approvals are so advanced, that continuation of D3 behind Žilina is definitely not bad solution. See, Strážov feeder is really 4lanes, but it runs directly through the center of Strážov - Žilina suburb, there are traffic lights there, pedestrian crossings, trafic jams, AADT is not under 25000..... and it is increasing.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM   #463
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Yeah but what a difficult terrain...
Only D3 Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno is very difficult (this 4.25 km long section actually consists of 2.2 km long tunnel and 2 km of bridges). The rest is rather average or below the average on Slovak standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
As a highway fan you should be happy for more km in your country, or am I mistaken?

Let´s hope all ca. 176 km of motorways and expressway will start this year. I am optimist also because next year is election year, so more highways are more points for the government.
If everything goes well, this year will be the absolute record year in highways construction history in our country.

I expected Svrčinovec-Skalité section to be started as next. But other D3 sections approvals are so advanced, that continuation of D3 behind Žilina is definitely not bad solution. See, Strážov feeder is really 4lanes, but it runs directly through the center of Strážov - Žilina suburb, there are traffic lights there, pedestrian crossings, trafic jams, AADT is not under 25000..... and it is increasing.
I hope PPP concessionaires will manage to borrow necessary money to start the construction what is quite big problem during the crisis. If they will manage so, construction of all 157 km of PPP motorways will start this year. With projects funded by state and EU it will be definitely all time record. Together it's actually 183 km. As a highway fan I would be delighted.

I think mentioned D3 section could wait. When southern bypass of Žilina will be finished traffic on Strážov feeder will decrease since transit traffic would avoid it. Note it should be finished in the same time as the southern bypass. It's not useless, but I think there are more important sections to be built.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:53 AM   #464
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

How much km of highways have Slovensko?

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM   #465
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
How much km of highways have Slovensko?
It depends what you consider highway.

Well, Slovensko has 354 km of motorways and 103.6 km of 2x2 expressways. There is also 69.4 km of 2x1 expressways and 2x1 roads which will become motorways (when upgraded on 2x2 of course).

Source: http://www.dalnice-silnice.cz/Sk/SK.htm
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM   #466
Qwert

D1 Mengusovce - Jánovce

National Motorway Company published beautiful December 2008 photos of this section on their page:

I have something even better for you. Here you can enjoy 131 photos of northern D1 starting before interchange Východná and ending in Spišský Štvrtok. Majority of them is from section Mengusovce - Jánovce: http://picasaweb.google.sk/rado.cerv...vceTunelBorik#

Zagor666 liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM   #467
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Wow, gorgeous mountains.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM   #468
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Yeah, this is app. 4 kms from the holiday home that I went on holiday to two years ago. That area is beautiful, especially when there are no clouds
Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM   #469
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Wow, gorgeous mountains.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Yeah, this is app. 4 kms from the holiday home that I went on holiday to two years ago. That area is beautiful, especially when there are no clouds
Clouds are unfortunately quite common there:

Source
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #470
Timoth12

Now some press reports mirroring the last week decision of D1 winner:

Quote:
SLOVAKIA, suffering from various impacts of the global economic downturn, sees public-private partnership (PPP) projects for highway construction as one of the tools to propel its slowing economy. The Slovak government has prepared three PPP packages which should pave about 157 kilometres of highways and dual carriageways and join the more developed west with the less developed east of the country by the end of 2010.

Ľubomír Vážny, the Minister of Construction and Regional Development, announced on February 18 that a consortium led by French company Bouygues Travaux Publics is the preferred bidder to construct and operate 75 kilometres of the D1 highway between Martin and Prešov.

The preferred consortium submitted a bid of about €3.3 billion, with €2.5 billion being investment costs, said Igor Choma, the director of the National Highway Company (NDS), as reported by the SITA newswire. The second lowest bidder proposed €4.1 billion and Choma said that the lower price was the decisive factor in selection of the winner.

Now Slovakia has to wait for two weeks to see whether there will be any appeals and whether revision procedures are necessary. Vážny expects that after this period the ministry will definitively announce the winner and invite the consortium to talks that should result in a signed agreement.

Originally six bidders enrolled in the tender for the 75 kilometres of highway known as the ‘first package’ of PPP projects. The contract is to project-manage, build, fund, operate and maintain five sections of the D1 highway, also known as northern connection between Bratislava and Košice, from Dubná Skala to Turany, Turany to Hubová, Hubová to Ivachnová, Jánovce to Jablonov and Fričovce to Svinia.

The contract could last up to 30 years.

“In the context of the financial crisis... it is more difficult to fulfil the promise, as it has bound our hands a bit from the point of view of time,” said Vážny, as cited by SITA. The government of Prime Minister Robert Fico has promised to build the highway infrastructure to connect the eastern and western part of the country by the end of 2010, except for demanding stretches requiring tunnels. These final parts should be finished during 2012.

The total cost of the 157 kilometres of highways and dual carriage ways is estimated at €3.485 billion excluding VAT, according to SITA.

“The crisis has narrowed the financing opportunities from banks,” the Construction Ministry wrote about the impact of the unfavourable financial market on PPP projects, as cited by the TASR newswire. “The liquidity shortage has a much bigger impact on the banks’ decision-making than the quality of the projects or the financial standing or rating of the Slovak Republic.”

The ministry is looking for ways to finance the PPP projects from the European Investment Bank and the European Bank for Development and Reconstruction. Reportedly, these banks are prepared to provide €1.35 billion for construction of the D1 stretches in the first package, the Sme daily wrote. The winning consortium will then need to borrow the remaining financing of about €2 billion from commercial banks.

“Slovakia needs highways and dual carriage ways like a dose of salt,” Ľubomír Palčák, the director of the Transport Research Institute (VÚD) based in Žilina, told the Slovak Spectator.

“Analyses which we have made of the impact of acceleration of highway construction have shown huge economic effects.”

Shortened, full article at: http://www.spectator.sk/articles/view/34445/23/ppp_highway_construction_projects_go_ahead.html

And some photos from the finished part of Košice ring, Prešovská-Sečovská:

Old February 26th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #471
Timoth12

And yet some winter construction shots again from the Sverepec-Vrtižer section:

Just look at the full gallery at: www.sverepec-vrtizer.sk
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #472
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Nice skyline

You've got a nice layer of snow in Slovakia, btw
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #473
Qwert

It's melting now (at least in Western Slovakia).

Here is nice video of construction in Považská Bystrica: http://i-televizia.sk/dialnica_video_prispevek_9.php
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #474
i15

Likes (Received): 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12
Code:
D3   Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno           06/2009           4,250 km 
D3   Žilina, Brodno - Kysucké Nové Mesto        11/2009          10,118 km
Personally, I do not expect that those sections will be under construction this year - because they are way too expensive
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #475
earth intruder
Dubaj mnie nie kręci

Likes (Received): 305

They have finally finished this part of Kosice ring. Nice.
earth intruder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #476
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
Personally, I do not expect that those sections will be under construction this year - because they are way too expensive
In case of Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno I hope it won't be U/C this year because it's not needed. On the other hand Žilina, Brodno - Kysucké Nové Mesto would be OK. It's expensive, but which motorway in Slovakia isn't? Since we are going to built D1 in cooperation with private partners we must use eurofunds to built something different, for example this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth intruder View Post
They have finally finished this part of Kosice ring. Nice.
Thanks to this section entire Košice inner ring is now finished.
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #477
i15

Likes (Received): 609

Qwert, D3 Zilina Strazov - Brodno - Kysucke Nove Mesto is extremly expensive. According to NDS data, estimated cost of this 14,4km long motorway is 673,2 mil euro (20,28bln SKK). With budget like this, you can build - for example - 60km of R2 expressway between Zvolen and Ozdany
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #478
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
Qwert, D3 Zilina Strazov - Brodno - Kysucke Nove Mesto is extremly expensive. According to NDS data, estimated cost of this 14,4km long motorway is 673,2 mil euro (20,28bln SKK). With budget like this, you can build - for example - 60km of R2 expressway between Zvolen and Ozdany
That's why I'm against section Strážov - Brodno. Brodno - Kysucké Nové Mesto must be built sooner or later anyway and since it's prepared why not? There is lack of prepared sections (except PPP) which is sad, but true. 60 km of R2 would be great, but construction cannot start before 2010.
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM   #479
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

What sort of object does this section have to be so expensive?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM   #480
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
What sort of object does this section have to be so expensive?
Žilina, Strážov - Žilina, Brodno includes tunnel Považský Chlmec (North tube will have length of 2218 m, south tube will have a length of 2189 m) and two motorway bridges with a total length of 2089 m plus two bridges out of the motorway with a total length of 229 m. Cost of this 4.25 km section is estimated on Sk 7,769 billion without VAT in prices from 2006 what is € 260 million (€ 61 million per kilometre). Here are visualisations of this section: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=442

Tags
motorways