daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM   #481
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Why it is so expensive? OK, for the tunnel, but bridges are usually not very expensive. And other part with 400 mil euro for 10 km?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM   #482
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Why it is so expensive? OK, for the tunnel, but bridges are usually not very expensive. And other part with 400 mil euro for 10 km?
It's not expensive considering extremely difficult conditions at places where it should be built. It's actually in mountains which are, however, densely inhabited. It crosses big river dam, two international railway lines and several roads. Geological conditions in Slovakia are very difficult, virtually every ten meters they are totally different so tunnels here are particularly high-priced. It's expensive only when you compare its price to our road budget.

Second section (Žilina Brodno - Kysucké Nové Mesto) is also not so expensive considering it includes about 3 km of bridges and almost 0.6 km long tunnel.

Well, these are the most common arguments used by our officials when they are trying to apologize for slow and expensive motorway construction.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM   #483
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Second section (Žilina Brodno - Kysucké Nové Mesto) is also not so expensive considering it includes about 3 km of bridges and almost 0.6 km long tunnel.
400 million for 3 km long bridges and 600 m tunnel being not expensive?
In Slovenia the most expensive motorway project (17 km long, 6 km of tunnels, 4 km of bridges, 7 km of walls) in extremely difficult geology cost about 500 mil. in today €. I think, that you have pretty expensive motorways.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #484
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

In the Netherlands a 7km long section through some flat fields will cost 100 million/km, so it's still not that bad
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That's because they wanted to construct a cut&cover tunnel in an area where the earth can be best described as "soup". They didn't build a big dike in the 1960's for nothing.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM   #486
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
400 million for 3 km long bridges and 600 m tunnel being not expensive?
In Slovenia the most expensive motorway project (17 km long, 6 km of tunnels, 4 km of bridges, 7 km of walls) in extremely difficult geology cost about 500 mil. in today €. I think, that you have pretty expensive motorways.
Well, besides that tunnel and the bridges there will be also about 7 km of motorway. But, it will be a bit cheaper since part of this section is already built, mentioned price is price for entire section (at least I guess so).

I agree motorways in Slovakia aren't cheap. It's hard to compare motorways in various countries as they have usually different norms. On the other hand it's quite interesting to confront what Slovenia managed to built for 500 million while Slovakia is going to built for example 11 km long section with 3.5 km of bridges and about 3 km of tunnels (D1 Hričovské Podhradie - Lietavská Lúčka) for 436 million.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM   #487
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

What's with the "www.dopravoprojekt.sk" login and password thing? It always appears when I enter this thread.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #488
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
What's with the "www.dopravoprojekt.sk" login and password thing? It always appears when I enter this thread.
There are some pictures from this site in this thread (Dopravoprojekt is company which designs many sections of Slovak motorways) and now they are experiencing some server problems. I hope it will disappear soon.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM   #489
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

There is no such a thing that average price for one Km of motorway, not between 2 countries and not even within a country! It depends on a lot of things you know guys.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #490
keber

What you don't tell me.

Some things are roughly comparable, however. And this section surely is with many other sections, especially when comparing with country's GDP.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #491
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

D3 completition in 2013

Chairman of the National Highway confirmed, that D3 motorway should be completed in 2013 at the latest. Here is the press news, translated through google translator.

And here is the video from the drive on the road I/11, D3 motorway will run mostly along its trace. Trucks, slow ride and jams are daily picture here.

Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM   #492
Qwert

Elections are closer and closer...

So what is already promised to be U/C after 2010 and finished before 2014 elections:

Motorways:
Some tunnel sections of D1
Upgrade of D1 between Bratislava and Trnava on 6 lanes with reserve on 8 lanes (36 km)
D2 interchange Stupava south
Entire D3 (except sections which are already built of course) what is about 44 km
Maybe southern D4 (23 km) but I have quite some doubts since it costs € 1 billion and banks are quite stingy right now

Expressways:
R2 all the way from Trenčín to Nováky (about 55 km) plus bypass of Žiar nad Hronom (6.6 km) and some sections eastern from Zvolen where together about 43 km should be finnished before 2014 elections if I may believe to National Motorway Company what I rather won't
R3 bypasses of Trstená and Horná Štubňa (together about 11.5 km) and whole R3 between Martin and Horná Štubňa (some 35 km, hard to say...)
R4 bypass of Svidník (4.5 km) and maybe (I hope not) also section Košice - Milhosť 15.8 km
R5 - whole, but this expressway is only 2 km long
R8 - this expressway should be about 65 km long, but nobody knows which sections will be finished before 2014 elections, if any, but Topoľčany are birthplace of our prime-minister, so who knows

Together it's about 173 km of expressways (not counting R8).

Hm, we will see...

P.S. I've used 6 "" smileys. With this one 7.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM   #493
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

From where to where will the R8 go?
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM   #494
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
From where to where will the R8 go?
It was already mentioned in this thread. This expressway was introduced last year as a connection of Nitra (R1) - Topoľčany - Partizánske - Hradište (R2). There is no exact route since it's in early stage of preparation. Basically it will be parallel to the roads I/64 and II/579.

You can see it here. Author of this map drew this expressway on the site of mentioned roads so the actual shape will be different:

Source: www.highways.sk

Last edited by Qwert; March 3rd, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #495
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Quote:
It was already mentioned in this thread.
I've checked out only the map on the 1st page, which didn't contain the R8, that is why I asked

Is it possible that when the new bridge between Komárom (H) and Komárno (SK) is built, the road will continue towards North as R8 on the NZ-Nitra route?
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #496
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Zvolen
Zwolle(n)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #497
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Elections are closer and closer...

So what is already promised to be U/C after 2010 and finished before 2014 elections:

Motorways:
Some tunnel sections of D1
Upgrade of D1 between Bratislava and Trnava on 6 lanes with reserve on 8 lanes (36 km)
D2 interchange Stupava south
Entire D3 (except sections which are already built of course) what is about 44 km
Maybe southern D4 (23 km) but I have quite some doubts since it costs € 1 billion and banks are quite stingy right now

Expressways:
R2 all the way from Trenčín to Nováky (about 55 km) plus bypass of Žiar nad Hronom (6.6 km) and some sections eastern from Zvolen where together about 43 km should be finnished before 2014 elections if I may believe to National Motorway Company what I rather won't
R3 bypasses of Trstená and Horná Štubňa (together about 11.5 km) and whole R3 between Martin and Horná Štubňa (some 35 km, hard to say...)
R4 bypass of Svidník (4.5 km) and maybe (I hope not) also section Košice - Milhosť 15.8 km
R5 - whole, but this expressway is only 2 km long
R8 - this expressway should be about 65 km long, but nobody knows which sections will be finished before 2014 elections, if any, but Topoľčany are birthplace of our prime-minister, so who knows

Together it's about 173 km of expressways (not counting R8).

Hm, we will see...

P.S. I've used 6 "" smileys. With this one 7.
Well, this is my opinion:

This year all remaining sections of D1 to Košice, except Prešov bypass, will go under construction, Prešov bypass should be U/C in 2010.

D1 upgrade Bratislava-Trnava should be completed.

D2 interchange Stupava south will be ready, it is not difficult section, it should, however, be built minimum as full profile, or with reserve for the second and third lane.

D3 at least to Kysucké Nové mesto, D3 Cadca-Polish border and R5 will be finished in 2014, Kysucke Nove Mesto-Oscadnica will be U/C.

Southern D4 will be U/C in 2014 in optimistic view.

From R2 will be in 2014 completed Bánovce and Žiar bypass, possibly Kriváň-Pstruša and Zvolen-Kriváň will be completed, or U/C, but without R2 Zvolen bypass, also R2 tunnel Soroška and R2 east from Košice could be U/C.

In northern and central R3 will be completed three, or four bypasses, same for R4.

On R6 some sections should be U/C, maybe Dohňany bypass and Dohňany - CZ border, possibly further continuation from Púchov

As R8, in optimistic version, north of Nitra and Topoľčany bypass sections will be U/C, or completed.

Also D1 east from Košice Budimír-Bidovce will be in 2014 completed, Bidovce-Dargov U/C, remaining 2 sections to UKR border will gradually go U/C later on.

Last edited by Timoth12; March 4th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #498
Qwert

Quote:
I've checked out only the map on the 1st page, which didn't contain the R8, that is why I asked

Is it possible that when the new bridge between Komárom (H) and Komárno (SK) is built, the road will continue towards North as R8 on the NZ-Nitra route?
There is planned (in long term) expressway Nitra - Nové Zámky - Komárno - H, but the bridge which is going to be built between Komárno and Komárom is not part of it. It will be western from the town while the expressway will bypass the town in the east side with another Danube bridge.

Here is traffic and technic infrastructure part of the masterplan of Nitra region which contains R8 as well as planned expressway Nitra - Komárno: http://www.uzemneplany.sk/upn/vuc-nitriansky-kraj
Here is masterplan of Komárno where you can clearly see both bridges: http://www.uzemneplany.sk/upn/?page=...rno&vykres=873

Original draft of the amendment which included R8 into official expressway network also recommended adding southern part: Nitra (R1) - Komjatice - Nové Zámky (R7) - Komárno, but it was refused. It's a pity because at least Nitra - Komjatice section is badly needed. Present I/64 is in this part almost entirely within built-up area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Well, this is my opinion:

This year all remaining sections of D1 to Košice, except Prešov bypass, will go under construction, Prešov bypass should be U/C in 2010.

D1 upgrade Bratislava-Trnava should be completed.

D2 interchange Stupava south will be ready, it is not difficult section, it should, however, be built minimum as full profile, or with reserve for the second and third lane.

D3 at least to Kysucké Nové mesto, D3 Cadca-Polish border and R5 will be finished in 2014, Kysucke Nove Mesto-Oscadnica will be U/C.

Southern D4 will be U/C in 2014 in optimistic view.

From R2 will be in 2014 completed Bánovce and Žiar bypass, possibly Kriváň-Pstruša and Zvolen-Kriváň will be completed, or U/C, but without R2 Zvolen bypass, also R2 tunnel Soroška and R2 east from Košice could be U/C.

In northern and central R3 will be completed three, or four bypasses, same for R4.

On R6 some sections should be U/C, maybe Dohňany bypass and Dohňany - CZ border, possibly further continuation from Púchov

As R8, in optimistic version, north of Nitra and Topoľčany bypass sections will be U/C, or completed.

Also D1 east from Košice Budimír-Bidovce will be in 2014 completed, Bidovce-Dargov U/C, remaining 2 sections to UKR border will gradually go U/C later on.
Some my points:

I've forgotten also faster construction of R6 was promised.

It's also pity R7 Bratislava - Dunajská Lužná - Dunajská Streda is not included in the promises. Maybe it will be part of D4 construction, which would be logical.

On western R2 I would welcome not only bypass of Bánovce which is indisputably the most important section, but also the rest from Bánovce to Mníchova Lehota. Present road I/50 is very bad there (narrow, long slopes) and truck traffic is insane there. Not to mention mountain pass between Trenčianske Jastrabie and Mníchova Lehota

In case of R4 I think the only really needed section is northern bypass of Prešov. The rest is completely useless at least before 2014. Well, Košice - Milhosť would be great, but only if Hungary would start construction of M30.

In case of R8 the most needed section is bypass of Topoľčany, but extended one, something like Chrabrany - Nadlice plus feeder Chrabrany - Bojná. The town and the villages eastern from it are experiencing heavy traffic since this part of I/64 is common for many directions and traffic volumes reached there more than 10,000 actual vehicles a day. Bypass of TO only is not enough anymore. Northern bypass of Nitra is on the other hand the less needed section because Nitra already has one northern bypass. There is necessary only feeder Jelšovce - Nitra.

Well, let's wait until 2014.
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #499
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Quote:
There is planned (in long term) expressway Nitra - Nové Zámky - Komárno - H, but the bridge which is going to be built between Komárno and Komárom is not part of it. It will be western from the town while the expressway will bypass the town in the east side with another Danube bridge.

Here is traffic and technic infrastructure part of the masterplan of Nitra region which contains R8 as well as planned expressway Nitra - Komárno: http://www.uzemneplany.sk/upn/vuc-nitriansky-kraj
Here is masterplan of Komárno where you can clearly see both bridges: http://www.uzemneplany.sk/upn/?page=...rno&vykres=873

Original draft of the amendment which included R8 into official expressway network also recommended adding southern part: Nitra (R1) - Komjatice - Nové Zámky (R7) - Komárno, but it was refused. It's a pity because at least Nitra - Komjatice section is badly needed. Present I/64 is in this part almost entirely within built-up area.
Thanks for the summary!
So there will be 2 new bridges between Komárom and Komárno - this is nice. I think the western bridge will be built first. Komárom southwestern bypass between main roads 1 and 13 is already U/C, hopefully this road will continue in the new bridge. On the other hand any expressway leading to Komárom is planned only in the far future, so further on the eastern bridge and hopefully R8.

About R4 (Kosice- H border) you shouldn't wait till the M30 is built. Main road 3 is being upgraded in the area, on some 20 km it is already bypassing all settlements and has a speed limit of 110 km/h.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #500
Qwert

Quote:
Thanks for the summary!
So there will be 2 new bridges between Komárom and Komárno - this is nice. I think the western bridge will be built first. Komárom southwestern bypass between main roads 1 and 13 is already U/C, hopefully this road will continue in the new bridge. On the other hand any expressway leading to Komárom is planned only in the far future, so further on the eastern bridge and hopefully R8.
Western one will be definitely built sooner.

Quote:
About R4 (Kosice- H border) you shouldn't wait till the M30 is built. Main road 3 is being upgraded in the area, on some 20 km it is already bypassing all settlements and has a speed limit of 110 km/h.
The main problems of road I/68 from Košice to Hungary is bad pavement on some sections, which is being repaired though. Little investment into this road which would include repaving of bad sections and improvement of two or three crossings (e.g. adding merging lanes) would solve all problems for maybe 6 years. In the meantime southern R4 (Košice - Milhosť) could be redesigned on motorway and it should be built only if traffic on I/68 would be too big for 2x1 road.

Here are photos of I/68 starting in the outskirts of Košice and ending on border crossing from September 2008: http://www.dialnice.info/album_cat.php?cat_id=166

Last edited by Qwert; March 5th, 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Tags
motorways